Fall 2021 Data Science/Analytics Applicants

KMickey

Hey everyone, I'm curious what people's experience is with securing financial aid.

I'm looking at the NYU Tuition cost and it looks like ~$75K for both years, not to mention living expenses, fees, and whatever else may be.

How are people financing their education?

I submitted my FAFSA a few weeks ago, but still haven't heard back. When I search for scholarships online, many are already expired and none seem relevant to my experience (as in I'm not eligible to apply to them). As of right now, it's looking like +90% of my education costs are going to have to be covered by loans. Does anyone have any tips or words of wisdom to find scholarships or grants?

23 minutes ago, two_dicey said:

Hey everyone, I'm curious what people's experience is with securing financial aid.

I'm looking at the NYU Tuition cost and it looks like ~$75K for both years, not to mention living expenses, fees, and whatever else may be.

How are people financing their education?

I submitted my FAFSA a few weeks ago, but still haven't heard back. When I search for scholarships online, many are already expired and none seem relevant to my experience (as in I'm not eligible to apply to them). As of right now, it's looking like +90% of my education costs are going to have to be covered by loans. Does anyone have any tips or words of wisdom to find scholarships or grants?

I don't think many people get any scholarships for professional master's programs like this.  If you aren't funded as a TA/RA, you are probably out of luck. I have a friend who got a small scholarship (I think less than a thousand dollars) through a local organization for his ethnic group, but that's the only one I've ever heard of.  I don't think you'll find much to put a dent in those $150k of loans.

16 minutes ago, bayessays said:

I don't think many people get any scholarships for professional master's programs like this.  If you aren't funded as a TA/RA, you are probably out of luck. I have a friend who got a small scholarship (I think less than a thousand dollars) through a local organization for his ethnic group, but that's the only one I've ever heard of.  I don't think you'll find much to put a dent in those $150k of loans.

Hey @bayessays thanks for the reply. That was my sinking suspicion but I was hoping someone would say it wasn't so?

Just got accepted, (after being wait listed), into the MS Analytics program at UChicago.

Is there any reason I should consider to go to UChicago MS Analytics vs NYU MS DS, which I am currently planning on attending? NYU MS DS seems more established, rigorous, and is in New York vs Chicago. It's also slightly longer of a program. I think the only downside I see with NYU is it costing more, but curious to hear other's thoughts if any one is willing to share.

On 4/29/2021 at 5:39 PM, two_dicey said:

Just got accepted, (after being wait listed), into the MS Analytics program at UChicago.

Is there any reason I should consider to go to UChicago MS Analytics vs NYU MS DS, which I am currently planning on attending? NYU MS DS seems more established, rigorous, and is in New York vs Chicago. It's also slightly longer of a program. I think the only downside I see with NYU is it costing more, but curious to hear other's thoughts if any one is willing to share.

I don’t know much about UChicago MS analytics but I would definitely go to NYU DS, its very cutting edge and you have people like Yann LeCun there. They also are rigorous as you said. I am skeptical of MS Analytics programs and the rigor on the math side of things. NYU DS has that aspect though. Plus its NYC, more opportunity in general. 

3 hours ago, untzkatz said:

I don’t know much about UChicago MS analytics but I would definitely go to NYU DS, its very cutting edge and you have people like Yann LeCun there. They also are rigorous as you said. I am skeptical of MS Analytics programs and the rigor on the math side of things. NYU DS has that aspect though. Plus its NYC, more opportunity in general. 

Awesome, thanks for your feedback! This is how I'm feeling but was just second guessing myself. Glad that we're on the same page ? 

Hi everyone, 

I was looking for some advice on this thread, so I only applied to two programs:

- Mount Sinai Icahn school of Medicine's Biological data science master's -- (I was accepted)

-NYU MDS -- I still haven't heard back from them. On 4/12 I got am email from admissions saying  " the current COVID-19 situation has made the entirety of our admissions process very complicated.  We are trying to calculate, often with daily updates, what our incoming class numbers might actually be -- and this obviously affects the number of offers we ought to send out. What we can tell you is that we are still considering your candidature. We can also tell you that we anticipate a major update of information on or around April 23 " 

The thing is, its 5/3 and I still haven't heard from NYU(and that is my top choice) but I see that a lot of you got a decision. Is anyone else in the same boat I am? or should I just chalk this up as an informal rejection and just accept Mount Sinai? Appreciate any info ?