Fall 2021 Data Science/Analytics Applicants

KMickey

Hi, I tried starting this thread in Waiting It Out, but no replies yet. I thought I might try here so applicants in the same boat can stay aware/ share any news.

I applied to Northwestern MSiA for Fall 2021 cycle. I haven't heard anything yet from the program and was wondering if anyone has received any news yet?

I talked to current students and it seems NU sends out 2 rounds of interviews, first in Jan and second in Feb. Someone already posted an acceptance. I'm wondering if round 1 is already over and whether I should start giving up hope... any feedback would help! Thank you!

Edited by KMickey

Not sure whether round 1 is over, but I received an acceptance from Northwestern's MSiA program. I applied by the early deadline (Dec 1) and received an interview invite in mid-late December though, so if you applied for the regular deadline I don't think this should be a reason to worry!

Edited by lavafish

Hi lavafish. Congratulations on your acceptance! Also, thank you for letting me know! I also applied by priority deadline, but didn't receive anything. 

And wow that's a really quick turnaround, and definitely good to know. Maybe second round interviews/acceptances are coming soon?

Edited by KMickey

Glad someone created this thread! @KMickey  from what I've heard, interviews for MSiA are done in two rounds, I think the ones who applied by the regular deadline will be interviewed around mid-Feb and the ones who applied by the priority deadline should have been interviewed early this year or late last year. But I wouldn't lose hope, given how uncertain the admissions process has become due to COVID, I would definitely not be surprised if you received an invite soon. I'd contact current students to get a confirmation from them.

FYI, I applied to the following schools(I was rejected from a couple of these last year):

USF DS(Accepted with a small scholarship)

Columbia DS(waiting, rejected after being waitlisted last year)

UWashington DS(Waiting)

NYU DS(Waiting)

GATech Analytics(Waiting)

Northwestern Analytics(Waiting, definitely in my top 2 but seems like a reach for me based on student profiles)

Purdue Business Analytics(Interview Invite)

UT Austin Business Analytics(Waiting)

UCLA Business Analytics(Waiting)

CMU Information Management(Data Analytics track).

Does anyone know much about USF's DS program? I've heard it's  rigorous and has got good employment stats, but I wasn't entirely sure about the brand name. If I am rejected from everything else, I will be deciding between this program and Berkeley's MEng. in Ind. Engineering and Operations Research  in the data analytics track. While Berkeley's got a great brand name, the coursework doesn't exactly match what I want to do professionally(work as a data scientist) and I feel like I might have to take a bunch of extra courses  that would prepare me for this career. Any input on the pros/cons of attending USF would be appreciated!

Applied to the following:

Northwestern MSIA 2nd round 

UC Berkeley MEng EECS Data Science and Systems

UCLA MS Statistics

UC Davis MS Statistics Data Science Track

University of Michigan MS Data Science

University of Washington MS Data Science

Georgia Tech MS Computational Analytics

20 hours ago, superbored said:

Glad someone created this thread! @KMickey  from what I've heard, interviews for MSiA are done in two rounds, I think the ones who applied by the regular deadline will be interviewed around mid-Feb and the ones who applied by the priority deadline should have been interviewed early this year or late last year. But I wouldn't lose hope, given how uncertain the admissions process has become due to COVID, I would definitely not be surprised if you received an invite soon. I'd contact current students to get a confirmation from them.

FYI, I applied to the following schools(I was rejected from a couple of these last year):

USF DS(Accepted with a small scholarship)

Columbia DS(waiting, rejected after being waitlisted last year)

UWash DS(Waiting)

NYU DS(Waiting)

GATech Analytics(Waiting)

Northwestern Analytics(Waiting, definitely in my top 2 but seems like a reach for me based on student profiles)

Purdue Business Analytics(Interview Invite)

UT Austin Business Analytics(Waiting)

UCLA Business Analytics(Waiting)

CMU Information Management(Data Analytics track).

Does anyone know much about USF's DS program? I've heard it's  rigorous and has got good employment stats, but I wasn't entirely sure about the brand name. If I am rejected from everything else, I will be deciding between this program and Berkeley's MEng. in Ind. Engineering and Operations Research  in the data analytics track. While Berkeley's got a great brand name, the coursework doesn't exactly match what I want to do professionally(work as a data scientist) and I feel like I might have to take a bunch of extra courses  that would prepare me for this career. Any input on the pros/cons of attending USF would be appreciated!

USF from what I've researched is at the same intensity as a Data Science boot camp, just stretched for a year to meet MS requirements. They do have a required "screening" if you can call it that prior to the semester and usually a couple people get washed out. As far as competency and skills concerned, they are top notch.

2 hours ago, user5080 said:

USF from what I've researched is at the same intensity as a Data Science boot camp, just stretched for a year to meet MS requirements. They do have a required "screening" if you can call it that prior to the semester and usually a couple people get washed out. As far as competency and skills concerned, they are top notch.

Ah gotcha, thanks for letting me know.

Applied:

Yale MS in Statistics and Data Science

Columbia MS in Data Science

UChicago MS in Analytics

Northwestern MS in Data Science

NYU MS in Data Science

Still waiting for all of them except NU. My portal for NU updated to "Admit" but haven't gotten an email.

Also I think all acceptances for Yale have come out. Since I haven't received a decision yet, it's probably a rejection.

3 hours ago, DeeEssEl said:

Applied:

Yale MS in Statistics and Data Science

Columbia MS in Data Science

UChicago MS in Analytics

Northwestern MS in Data Science

NYU MS in Data Science

Still waiting for all of them except NU. My portal for NU updated to "Admit" but haven't gotten an email.

Also I think all acceptances for Yale have come out. Since I haven't received a decision yet, it's probably a rejection.

Is Northwestern MS in DS the online program? Just want to make sure it's different from MSiA. Sorry... I'm getting v anxious due to radio silence

Edited by KMickey

4 minutes ago, KMickey said:

Is Northwestern MS in DS the online program? Just want to make sure it's different from MSiA. Sorry... I'm getting v anxious due to radio silence

Yeah, it's the online one by NU SPS. I actually didn't know about the MSiA one until after the deadline passed haha

Dw, I think we're all going crazy at this point

On 2/7/2021 at 4:46 AM, KMickey said:

Does anyone know anything about UChicago's program btw?

Got an admit yesterday. Did you receive any decision? Also, any idea how is the program for someone who is looking to get into data science? I have heard the UChicago Stats program is more on the theoretical side.

4 hours ago, patronuscaster said:

Got an admit yesterday. Did you receive any decision? Also, any idea how is the program for someone who is looking to get into data science? I have heard the UChicago Stats program is more on the theoretical side.

I didn't get any update. Saw a bunch of admits and rejections yesterday and quickly checked portal... but unfortunately no news. 

I heard it's theoretical heavy but they also teach applied stats as well. I believe the consulting program will be a good exposure to application. I know someone who is currently a data scientists and he said programs that are theory heavy help prepare one looking to go into data science.

Got an admit from Harvard MS DS today. Does anyone know anything about how this program compares to other programs like Stanford MS Statistics and UChicago MS Statistics? I intend to pursue a PhD eventually, and there is a thesis option which is exciting, however, it seems like most alumni tend to go to industry after - whereas many of those from the latter have gone to PhD programs.

Canadian here. 

I got an offer from the University of British Columbia MSDS program last week. Anyone have any thoughts on this program? It's 10 months long and costs 30k which is quite steep in Canada (my entire undergrad costed ~20k). The program is course-based and starts from quite a low level (eg. intro to Python and stats 101). 

About me: Graduating with BSc Civil Engineering in May, currently a DS intern at an early-stage start-up. Goal is to go into industry and possibly switch to SWE eventually. My other option would be to do a thesis-based MASc Systems Design Engineering at UWaterloo. I'm in contact with a professor willing to fully fund me for research in remote sensing / deep learning, though I don't have an official offer yet. 

Apologies if this is not the right thread for this. Let me know and I'll move it.  

Edited by paroisse

On 2/13/2021 at 4:08 PM, patient512 said:

Got an admit from Harvard MS DS today. Does anyone know anything about how this program compares to other programs like Stanford MS Statistics and UChicago MS Statistics? I intend to pursue a PhD eventually, and there is a thesis option which is exciting, however, it seems like most alumni tend to go to industry after - whereas many of those from the latter have gone to PhD programs.

Congrats, I got the Harvard MS DS admit recently as well. I'd also like to hear any impressions of the program and thesis option from those with knowledge.

@KMickey There was an event called "Admitted Students Day" on 16th February 2021. Basically, admitted students were briefed about the curriculum and allowed to interact with the program director and current students/alumni. It was quite awesome!

Anyway... only about 12 or 13 admitted students were present. So my best guess is that Northwestern will definitely be accepting more students during the February/March period. The target cohort size is ~40 students, and I believe that only the first round of intake has been completed so far. Again, I have no way of verifying this. But I still feel reasonably certain. 

Either way, wish you all the best! I'm sure you'll make it :)

Has anyone heard back from 

MS in Health Data Science at Harvard Public Health School?

I remember the co-director of the program saying the admission results will be out on the 15th of February back in November 2020. But I have no news. It's so stressful

Edited by bigDragonFruit
typo

Hey all,

I too am anxious about waiting and thought that I'd chime in with the status of my applications.

The only two I've heard back from are:

• University of San Francisco - MS DS (Accepted, $8K scholarship)
  • MIT - Masters of Business Analytics (Rejected, biggest reach school so not surprised)

Still waiting to hear back from:

• NYU – Masters in Data Science

• University of Chicago - Masters in Analytics

• Georgia Tech – Masters in Analytics

• Northwestern – Masters in Analytics

• Carnegie Mellon University – Masters in Computer Science

• Columbia – Masters in Data Science

Hope this helps / relieves someone else's anxiety.

On 2/13/2021 at 3:08 PM, patient512 said:

@DanielWarlock Would you be able to provide some insight on this? If one intends to pursue a PhD does it make sense to attend this program? Also how does it compare to UW and Duke MS in Statistics in the same context? Thank you!