Fall 2021 Data Science/Analytics Applicants

KMickey

Hey All,

I applied to the following  Masters program 

Pratt Institute - Data analytics and visualization (with graduate certificate in Geospatial analysis) - Admitted with 8k scholarship per year 

University of Missouri (Colombia) - Data Science and Analytics with concentration on GIS - Admitted 

GWU - Data Science with graduate certificate in GIS - Got an email that the decision with be out in 2 to 4 weeks from now 26/02

USC - Spatial Data Science - No update yet( my first priority)

My background is in Geography and GIS.

Has anybody received an acceptance from Georgia Tech (Analytics)? I've seen a waitlist and a couple rejections posted on gradcafe and reddit...

Their admissions dashboard seems to confirm that 27 people have been admitted.

Link to dashboard: (don't forget to filter for the on-campus program only!)

https://lite.gatech.edu/lite_script/dashboards/admissions.html

21 hours ago, two_dicey said:

Update: Rejected from Carnegie Mellon MS Computer Science.

Anyone hear back from NYU MS Data Science / Northwestern MsiA?

I received an interview invite for NU MSiA and based on the schedule, interviews happened last week and will go on throughout this week. 

18 minutes ago, KMickey said:

I received an interview invite for NU MSiA and based on the schedule, interviews happened last week and will go on throughout this week. 

Well if that's the case, and considering I haven't heard anything from then, it appears I'm shit out of luck. That being said, I'm wishing you the best KMickey! I hope your interview goes great :D

1 hour ago, KMickey said:

Hello, I will take the interview tomorrow, may I know who is the interviewer? Thanks so much and good luck for your applications!

13 hours ago, Carol_Guo said:

Hello, I will take the interview tomorrow, may I know who is the interviewer? Thanks so much and good luck for your applications!

Hey, sorry but I'm actually not too sure. I believe it should be with the organizer/ the one who sent you the confirmation email. Also good luck on your interview. I talked to past students and they said it's not formal. Just mainly talking about soft skills. Good luck!

Update: Just got accepted into NYU!! So happy to finally hear back from a school after months of getting rejected.

Anyone have any opinions or thoughts about the NYU MS DS program? I'm going to re-read last years thread to gleam opinions.

So far:

Accepted:

USF ($8k scholarship)

NYU MS DS

Rejected:

MIT Mban

Carnegie Mellon MS CS

Edited by two_dicey

Hi all, contemplating on my decision right now and would love to hear some thoughts from others in the same boat. I'm leaning towards Stanford out of my top 3 admits. What do people think of Stanford's program vs Columbia or MIT MBAn?

Rejected

Harvard MS in Data Science 

Yale MS in Data Science 

UC Berkeley MA in Statistics

Admitted

1. Stanford MS in Stats: Data Science

2. Columbia Engineering MS in Data Science

3. MIT Masters in Business Analytics

4. NYU MS in Data Science 

5. Carnegie Mellon MS in Statistical Practice 

Waiting to Hear Back 

UCLA MS in Statistics - has anybody received a rejection or admit??

Edited by diplodocus_

23 minutes ago, diplodocus_ said:

Hi all, contemplating on my decision right now and would love to hear some thoughts from others in the same boat. I'm leaning towards Stanford out of my top 3 admits. What do people think of Stanford's program vs Columbia or MIT MBAn?

Rejected

Harvard MS in Data Science 

Yale MS in Data Science 

UC Berkeley MA in Statistics

Admitted

1. Stanford MS in Stats: Data Science

2. Columbia Engineering MS in Data Science

3. MIT Masters in Business Analytics

4. NYU MS in Data Science 

5. Carnegie Mellon MS in Statistical Practice 

Waiting to Hear Back 

UCLA MS in Statistics - has anybody received a rejection or admit??

Nothing heard yet either from UCLA. But if I were you I would choose Stanford without a second thought. They are ranked 1 for a reason.

@diplodocus_ I have some similar admits! Also got into Stanford/MIT/Columbia, and rejected from Harvard (lol).

My impression is that Stanford's program is the most selective and probably the best for Silicon Valley tech. Personally, I'm also heavily considering MIT's MBAn because I prefer the east coast. I think the MBAn has a couple of other nice features that stand out, such as the 1) tight-knit cohort/sense of community and 2) great professional support. MIT's program also seems more applied than Stanford's program, if you have any preference on how theoretical v. applied the curriculum is. Another difference between these two schools that stands out is the length-- I do like that Stanford's program is a couple quarters longer and accommodates a summer internship.

Columbia is a great school for undergrad, but I have the impression that its Master's programs have very large cohorts, so there doesn't seem to be the same sense of community at the grad level. I also heard from a Columbia alum that the DSI classes are mostly night classes to help accommodate part-time students, if that affects your decision at all. On the other hand, if you want to be in NYC and develop a network there, Columbia should be fantastic for that.

Curious to hear your thoughts on Stanford/MIT/Columbia as well!

Edited by lavafish