CUNY Sociology PhD Fall 2021

chloealexs

Hi all! We've all been talking about it in the results section and I thought I'd start a thread about it! How are y'all feeling?? I'm one of the people who had two interviews a few weeks ago and got the email on the 5th. I've been checking my portal and grad cafe constantly since then ?

Hey! I also had my interview with CUNY few weeks ago. I emailed one of the profs yesterday to ask for an update, but no luck, although last week when I spoke to him he said we would get the emails early this week, which obviously hasn't happened... I'm really upset tbh, even though I have other options but I'm really keen on CUNY.

However, I'm curious, if admitted, do you guys have plans for how to make ends meet in NYC on a grad student stipend?

So for full transparency, I am the partner of the person waiting to hear back from CUNY. I'm actually ABD in Sociology at a different school (not in NYC). My partner had two interviews with folks at CUNY and got the email on Feb 5th about them having sent their intended list for approval by the Provost. My partner doesn't really check this site (much healthier than me!) but we're both very anxious about it. My partner is 0a/1w/4p. I got some inside scoop that CUNY Sociology had some surprise funding cuts and might be admitting an abnormally small cohort ?  Last I heard they were trying to scramble more funding so they could admit a more normal sized cohort.

I know my own program got more applicants than normal and sent offers to a smaller group than normal. I think this is pretty true across the board. A rough cycle.

I'm curious--did everyone get the Feb 5th email?

If my partner were to get in to CUNY we would both move to NYC. I'm also quite nervous about being a pair of grad students in NYC but we'll make it work somehow!

@SleeplessInSomewhere I know if I get admitted, my plan for making ends meet involves a roommate (my sister will be moving with me so I'm lucky there) and probably a side hustle. I've heard that it isn't uncommon for CUNY students to adjunct, and since I will have an MA in sociology, that seems like a good option for me. I'm also pretty frugal--was living on about $900/month for the last three semesters. But the city aspect makes me nervous, I have lived in a rural state my whole life. I'm ready to move up in the world, but it'll be a huge transition! I wonder if the admitted cohort could put together a zoom call with current CUNY students this summer to get their tips on making ends meet

Yes, I also got the feb 5 email! Which honestly made things worse because it was clear they’re scrambling. I hope we hear today.

That’s a great idea to ask the last cohort for a meeting. If I get in I’ll be moving with my partner and we have friends in the city, but I know the whole rental process is a nightmare. Would love an inside scoop from other students who had to do this last year mid pandemic. 

Oh wow! @SarahDF that's concerning about the funding cuts! I hope they're able to get some more money together, yikes! Thanks for telling us. I applied to 9 gender studies/sociology programs (a lot, I know, but I was worried about how the virus would affect admissions), both MA and PhD (I'm undergrad right now) and none have gotten back to me except CUNY. I'm not too worried considering a lot had later admissions deadlines, but my heart has been getting more and more set on CUNY.

I'm incredibly excited at the prospect of moving to NYC, but it would to be much more expensive than anything I've been used to. Even if I were to get a tuition waiver and additional funding, I'd still most likely be worried about money. I love the idea of making a Zoom call for tips, though! Is anyone considering applying to live in the Graduate Center apartments?

Let's hope they email us today!

Also the partner of an applicant here.

We're on the same boat, waiting to hear back after 2 interviews and an email saying it'd come early in the week. Definitely sucks to go through the anxiety of waiting past when they said they'd share results but honestly, if that means more funding to accept more people, then by all means tell us late. We'd rather a yes in March than a no in February hehe

On an unrelated note, am I the only one that doesn't like having to scroll all the way down to see the latest message? Is there no way to sort by most recent?

Edited by abugslife

Thanks for making this!

My god this sucks haha. Same as most of you - I had two interviews, received an email last week, still waiting. I have been accepted to two other schools but my funding pending. 

I'm currently living in NYC and I know it's going to be rough on a grad student stipend. If I end up at CUNY I will probably find some part-time work.

Hi all! Also waiting nervously for the email from CUNY after the 2 interviews. I haven't heard back from anywhere else besides having another interview so I am also feeling the stress. I did not think the nerves would be this bad! Is anyone else anxiously checking their email every five seconds? 

Also as for my current department (for MA program) my advisor said that most programs had massive funding cuts and are trying to decide how to make offers for students they want to admit. Fingers crossed to everyone :)

Hi everyone, 

I have the same experience as you all, two interviews and no news yet on admissions and the anxiety is KILLING me ? I am checking every 5 seconds and am still hopeful we'll hear back today... though it seems more unlikely by the hour.  I've heard admissions have been dramatically cut in all departments and with many schools closing their application cycles there are way more applicants than usual- a perfect storm. 

I'm a New Yorker and I'll continue to work to supplement my income and I'm hopeful an offer will come with some funding!  Good luck to everyone and wishing you all the best through this stressful month of results. ?

Not sure if it's the same situation for you all but I think being quarantined and just being home all day is exacerbating the anxiety about admissions. I was for sure anxious about admissions for undergrad and my masters program but not at all in the same way. I guess being in the outside world was a big distraction but now I do everything from home and there is no separation happening. 

Im literally in the same boat! Being home all day and having ZERO distractions. I feel like Im in a bubble where my nerves just get bounced around. I really didn't think it would be like this at all. Its like the bandaid is half off and I just want to finally rip it! I saw someone got accepted to my top school but I myself haven't gotten either a rejection or an acceptance so I'm like in limbo and its actually the worst lol. I'm so happy we made this thread because I don't feel so alone. Sending solidarity to everyone!!

Yess!! I feel like my anxiety is a bit lower today since it's the weekend and we probably (?) won't hear from programs until next week, but even so, it's the same with me. I've been checking constantly with almost no distractions. I wasn't this nervous for undergrad admissions for sure. CUNY's been more communicative than other universities, but I wonder if that even makes it worse lol. I'm glad so many of us are here to talk!

8 minutes ago, SleeplessInSomewhere said:

Hello everyone, a trusted source shared that we will finally be getting letters from CUNY by Monday...

A trusted source! I hope this is true. I got my first acceptance Friday to my last choice program. Felt like I couldn’t even be excited about it because CUNY, my first choice, is hanging in the balance! Good luck to everyone! 

1 hour ago, Elsie1922 said:

A trusted source! I hope this is true. I got my first acceptance Friday to my last choice program. Felt like I couldn’t even be excited about it because CUNY, my first choice, is hanging in the balance! Good luck to everyone! 

It's great to hear you got your first acceptance, congratulations and I hope you'll get into CUNY too! Allow yourself to celebrate and get excited about that first acceptance either way. ?

On 2/12/2021 at 5:53 PM, Ahhhhhhh said:

@SleeplessInSomewhere I know if I get admitted, my plan for making ends meet involves a roommate (my sister will be moving with me so I'm lucky there) and probably a side hustle. I've heard that it isn't uncommon for CUNY students to adjunct, and since I will have an MA in sociology, that seems like a good option for me. I'm also pretty frugal--was living on about $900/month for the last three semesters. But the city aspect makes me nervous, I have lived in a rural state my whole life. I'm ready to move up in the world, but it'll be a huge transition! I wonder if the admitted cohort could put together a zoom call with current CUNY students this summer to get their tips on making ends meet

The Zoom call sounds like a fantastic idea!

On 2/12/2021 at 6:09 PM, chloealexs said:

Oh wow! @SarahDF that's concerning about the funding cuts! I hope they're able to get some more money together, yikes! Thanks for telling us. I applied to 9 gender studies/sociology programs (a lot, I know, but I was worried about how the virus would affect admissions), both MA and PhD (I'm undergrad right now) and none have gotten back to me except CUNY. I'm not too worried considering a lot had later admissions deadlines, but my heart has been getting more and more set on CUNY.

I'm incredibly excited at the prospect of moving to NYC, but it would to be much more expensive than anything I've been used to. Even if I were to get a tuition waiver and additional funding, I'd still most likely be worried about money. I love the idea of making a Zoom call for tips, though! Is anyone considering applying to live in the Graduate Center apartments?

Let's hope they email us today!

I thought about the GC apartments but they have a no pet policy and I have a cat so it's a no go for me unfortunately 

4 hours ago, SleeplessInSomewhere said:

Hello everyone, a trusted source shared that we will finally be getting letters from CUNY by Monday...

Thank you for making this! 
& do you think they could have meant Tuesday? 
I’d imagine they’re off for Presidents’ Day on Monday. 

Edited by asilentview

10 minutes ago, elabella55 said:

Check your emails!  I just received a notice of a fully funded offer and acceptance.  I am in TEARS, definitely my dream school and just relieved to know this will all be possible. Good luck all and happy to join future Zooms :)

OMG CONGRATULATIONS!!! idk you how am I so happy for you?!

No email yet here but I’m still hopeful! Good luck y’all post here when you hear!