CUNY Sociology PhD Fall 2021

chloealexs

1 hour ago, elabella55 said:

Check your emails!  I just received a notice of a fully funded offer and acceptance.  I am in TEARS, definitely my dream school and just relieved to know this will all be possible. Good luck all and happy to join future Zooms :)

Omg congratulations! I'm seriously so happy for you!! No email for my partner, so that doesn't bode well. However, he got into Michigan this morning and it's also a great fit so we're feeling very happy. We were hoping to get out of the Midwest and we loved the idea of NY (he's from a huge city outside the U.S., and I'm from the west coast), but I guess the universe has other plans ? 

Thank you so much everyone for the support and congrats to everyone! I can't put into words what this opportunity means for me and my family, especially being able to stay in the city that made me. We are a family of immigrants that grew up with very little and I will be the first in the family to get a PhD. ??

@SarahDF BIG congratulations to your partner, I also applied to Michigan but haven't heard back, it's an amazing place and program!

Wow congratulations to everyone who got emails today!! @elabella55 and @sippingjoy, and to whoever the 3rd person on the results list was ? ? and congrats on your other acceptances! I was checking every 5 minutes today, but no email for me so far. I hope the rest of us get news soon, the suspense is killing me lol

47 minutes ago, chloealexs said:

Wow congratulations to everyone who got emails today!! @elabella55 and @sippingjoy, and to whoever the 3rd person on the results list was ? ? and congrats on your other acceptances! I was checking every 5 minutes today, but no email for me so far. I hope the rest of us get news soon, the suspense is killing me lol

Do you think they'll send out more offer this week? I have kind of accepted that I won’t get in but I’m not sure if schools send out rolling acceptances. The suspense is also killing me, at some point my email notification went off and I found myself thinking “just reject me already!” I want to be able move on one way or another!

@Elsie1922 I'm not sure. It is possible. This admission cycle is so weird I can't say with certainty what is going to happen.

Wishing you all the best! Hopefully those who have not heard will hear back soon. The wait is really tough and I'm really rooting for y'all. 

Edited by sippingjoy

8 hours ago, Elsie1922 said:

Do you think they'll send out more offer this week? I have kind of accepted that I won’t get in but I’m not sure if schools send out rolling acceptances. The suspense is also killing me, at some point my email notification went off and I found myself thinking “just reject me already!” I want to be able move on one way or another!

I don't think so sadly, my understanding is that they only had enough money to extend offers to 1/3 of their usual anticipated cohort, so the ones who received the emails yesterday are probably it...unless you end up waitlisted and someone else turns down their offer 

Yeah, I saw somewhere on this site that someone talked to one of their PhD students who said they could only accept 4 ppl, and we've already seen 3 on the results page. I feel a little mislead tbh, I didn't realize the cohort would be THAT small. Guess it's time to move on, I just wish they'd email us abt it though.

19 minutes ago, chloealexs said:

Yeah, I saw somewhere on this site that someone talked to one of their PhD students who said they could only accept 4 ppl, and we've already seen 3 on the results page. I feel a little mislead tbh, I didn't realize the cohort would be THAT small. Guess it's time to move on, I just wish they'd email us abt it though.

I was just about to post, it’s kind of frustrating that they won’t just email us and waitlist/reject! 4 people is such a tiny cohort... what a year. 

11 minutes ago, Ahhhhhhh said:

Here to commiserate again! I would love to be able to just have an answer one way or the other... I just saw another acceptance posted in the Results and I want to know if they're still sending out emails or not!! 

The acceptance says it happened 2/15 so I assume that’s the 4th one mentioned upthread. Idk for sure but it seems like they’re trying to get more money to make more offers. Which sucks! I also very much want to have an answer. It felt better when I thought it was a rejection than to still have a bit of a chance! 

5 hours ago, Ahhhhhhh said:

Here to commiserate again! I would love to be able to just have an answer one way or the other... I just saw another acceptance posted in the Results and I want to know if they're still sending out emails or not!! 

Having the same types of thoughts! This thread has been so helpful bc I don’t know anyone else applying for grad school.  So far I’ve been 0/3 out of the application cycle. Wish I could have applied elsewhere but they were SO expensive. I hope COVID ends because all I wanna do is continue researching but the options seem so limited rn:( 

Hey all! Good morning ? I got an email a couple hours ago saying I'm "waitlisted" and confirming they could only admit 1/3 the size of normal cohort ? no surprise there, but glad they told us. I'm staying on the waitlist for sure, but I doubt many ppl will turn it down. That makes 2 waitlists and 7 I haven't heard from for me. What a year lol. How are y'all feeling?

19 minutes ago, chloealexs said:

Hey all! Good morning ? I got an email a couple hours ago saying I'm "waitlisted" and confirming they could only admit 1/3 the size of normal cohort ? no surprise there, but glad they told us. I'm staying on the waitlist for sure, but I doubt many ppl will turn it down. That makes 2 waitlists and 7 I haven't heard from for me. What a year lol. How are y'all feeling?

Literally dude the SAME exact feelings. I’m gonna stay on the waitlist too but... wow. What a year covid has made for us ?. I wonder what the actual size of the cohort v the waitlist looks like and when we’ll know when the waiting is officially over.  Sending u all lots of strength :)

I'm really happy to have been accepted, but will probably need to definitely look into tips and resources on living in NYC. @abugslifeI'll probably reach out to you in the next couple of days.
With that said, and with this year being such a fiscal challenge, is the general consensus that this year there would be no leeway to negotiate offers compared to past years? I know that a lot of people say negotiate if you can, but at the same time I feel grateful to have been accepted in the first place and I know it was a challenge for them to scramble to get the funding, so I don't want to come off as ungrateful but I'm really just curious to know if there's any possibility of increasing it. So I guess my question is, is it worth asking, or would I be shooting myself in the foot?

1 minute ago, SleeplessInSomewhere said:

I'm really happy to have been accepted, but will probably need to definitely look into tips and resources on living in NYC. @abugslifeI'll probably reach out to you in the next couple of days.
With that said, and with this year being such a fiscal challenge, is the general consensus that this year there would be no leeway to negotiate offers compared to past years? I know that a lot of people say negotiate if you can, but at the same time I feel grateful to have been accepted in the first place and I know it was a challenge for them to scramble to get the funding, so I don't want to come off as ungrateful but I'm really just curious to know if there's any possibility of increasing it. So I guess my question is, is it worth asking, or would I be shooting myself in the foot?

I'd say that there's no wrong questions to ask if you do so respectfully. I certainly don't see the harm in asking if there are scholarships they could recommend to you, or even just tips on how to make ends meet.

I see now that there's a msg option on gradcafe, feel free to DM me whenever, my partner and I will happily provide tips & insights.

I am unofficially signing off from this forum--not expecting to get off the waitlist. I've gotten a few more rejections since, with one acceptance and one pending in different schools in NY state so hopefully I'll see you all at conferences. Ha! Good luck to you all, you made it through a hell of an admissions cycle!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 6:05 PM, chloealexs said:

Hi! I'll be turning down my offer in the next week or so. I hope you're high on the waitlist and that they extend an offer to you!

On 2/19/2021 at 10:53 PM, Ahhhhhhh said:

I am unofficially signing off from this forum--not expecting to get off the waitlist. I've gotten a few more rejections since, with one acceptance and one pending in different schools in NY state so hopefully I'll see you all at conferences. Ha! Good luck to you all, you made it through a hell of an admissions cycle!

Hi! I'll be turning down my offer in the next week or so. I hope you're high on the waitlist and that they extend an offer to you!

24 minutes ago, SleeplessInSomewhere said:

Thank you so much for letting us know! I hope that means that you were accepted somewhere great and have a good funding package! And good luck to the rest of us - I don't want to get my hopes up, but I'm getting all nervous and excited all over again haha

23 hours ago, chloealexs said:

Thank you so much for letting us know! I hope that means that you were accepted somewhere great and have a good funding package! And good luck to the rest of us - I don't want to get my hopes up, but I'm getting all nervous and excited all over again haha

You're most welcome. Yes, I did receive another offer elsewhere and will be accepting it. Hopefully you'll get an offer from CUNY next week. :))

Wishing everyone all the best in this new journey

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am kind of a trespasser, I am not a sociology student. But I am reaching out to this audience for some help. Sorry about that. I hope that is ok!

I am from India and I will be joining Baruch College this year for Ph.D. in Business. I could not find a dedicated thread for Baruch College let alone for my major.

(side-note: I was reading all the conversations that have happened and it was pretty heartwarming really :))

I am a little stressed about matters around accommodation, commuting, and at the feasibility of being able to enjoy a conventional collegiate vibe at Baruch/CUNY. I come with two master's experiences at U of Wisconsin and then at Ohio State U and I really loved the college town feel and atmosphere. I have been hearing that CUNY or Baruch do not really have a "campus", in the conventional sense, and the whole city is your campus. I am a small town person and enjoy small, quaint places. So this idea of not being able to enjoy that in NYC is little uneasy to me. Also, the daily commuting (subway/bus etc.) to get to campus, and having to plan for it as opposed to the other places I mentioned where you could just get up from your apartment and get going to classes (literally walk from one building to other) is also something I am having a tough time getting used to mentally. Don't get me wrong, I am excited about going to CUNY and NYC (was one of my top choices) but these are the lingering concerns nonetheless. The fact that I will be an immigrant from a small town in my country going to a fast-paced ultra chic city does not provide much counteraction either :D. Is there anyone like me in here (looking for some strength in numbers :) )?

In any case, how are you all managing such thoughts/concerns if at all you have them? 

Thanks!