Jump to content
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

FRQSC/FRQS/FRQNT (any level)


musichistorygeek
 Share

Recommended Posts

For when the end of April can’t come quickly enough...

This is my second time applying for the postdoc (applied in 2019 when I hadn’t yet graduated and when all of my publications were still “pending”). I previously received the doctoral scholarship. I have a lot of other job and postdoc applications out, but it would be awfully convenient not to have to move during a pandemic...

Does anyone know why the Fonds wait so long to announce? April 30 is awfully late for people who need to renew leases (or find new places), make travel plans, rearrange their work schedules, etc. Especially because they notify so early about your application being forwarded to the relevant committee? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I’m waiting for another (non-Canadian) postdoc that is apparently usually several weeks behind its announced outcome schedule. Eek. At least the FRQ is usually regular about April 30, but I’m hoping I won’t have to make another extremely quick lease decision as in some past years. 

Edited by musichistorygeek
hit post too soon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 6:13 PM, musichistorygeek said:

For when the end of April can’t come quickly enough...

This is my second time applying for the postdoc (applied in 2019 when I hadn’t yet graduated and when all of my publications were still “pending”). I previously received the doctoral scholarship. I have a lot of other job and postdoc applications out, but it would be awfully convenient not to have to move during a pandemic...

Does anyone know why the Fonds wait so long to announce? April 30 is awfully late for people who need to renew leases (or find new places), make travel plans, rearrange their work schedules, etc. Especially because they notify so early about your application being forwarded to the relevant committee? 

Is publication one of the key component in the application? which stream are you at? FRQNT?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

10 minutes ago, Chih-En said:

Is publication one of the key component in the application? which stream are you at? FRQNT?

Publications are part of the CCV and detailed contributions form, so they have to help (although I’m not entirely sure how much they are weighted compared to the proposal and justification of research environment). I’m waiting on the FRQSC. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yup all my eggs are in the FRQ basket now, since i got rejected from nserc this year. I dont think i will get anything this year given how competitive FRQNT is (i heard 25% success rate) at doctoral level... but we will know tomorrow before noon (as i was told when i emailed them) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The results page has been updated for 2022, with what looks like all levels of individual grant funding posted: http://www.frqsc.gouv.qc.ca/bourses-et-subventions/resultats-des-concours

 

(And I was successful!! The category I was ranked lowest in two years ago was now ranked “exceptionnel,” so it really is all about the committee and how you frame your project and experiences.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Generic_Applicant said:

Ranked 8th and didnt get it:( my french isnt the best. Does it say there were only 6? Does this mean that if 2 people decline, I could get it??

I’m sorry!! It is really unclear whether or not the Fonds has a waitlist. It looks like until 2015-2016 or so there were multiple rounds of acceptances for some scholarships, but nothing posted about this more recently: http://www.frqsc.gouv.qc.ca/fr/bourses-et-subventions/resultats-des-concours/resultats-des-concours-anterieurs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was also ranked 8th in my committee and only 5 scholarships were offered. Also curious about waitlists. I imagine some people would decline FRQNT for NSERC? Also wondering if submitting the application in English could be a disadvantage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was ranked 13 out of 20 in my committee and only 5 was offered. This was my first time applying... any advice or suggestions?

I feel very dejected since I was just rejected from NSERC two days ago.

I will be working on improving my application this summer... would appreciate any advice. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys! This year, I was ranked 4th and there were only 3 grants available. I have the Titanic song in my head (neeeaaaaar faaaaaar) lol.

 There used to be a "waitlist", but it seems that they don't do it anymore. They would announce it as "additional funds available" and offer it to next people in line in some areas. Not confirmed by FRQ.

What they do with the money if someone declines ? That is a mystery. Anyway, to whoever was rejected I am so sorry for the bad news, it is a very bias system. Same goes for CRSH, it is simply not making sense. @MarleyBarley, if you look at your grade from FRQSC you can see where you need to improve. Depending of the area, I would say to work with reviewers for your proposal and make sure everything is crystal clear without any jargon. Also bring up any professionnel or academic experience related to your field that you may have. We often under estimate the small things we do and forget to add them to our CV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CaffeineFueled said:

Hey guys! This year, I was ranked 4th and there were only 3 grants available. I have the Titanic song in my head (neeeaaaaar faaaaaar) lol.

 There used to be a "waitlist", but it seems that they don't do it anymore. They would announce it as "additional funds available" and offer it to next people in line in some areas. Not confirmed by FRQ.

What they do with the money if someone declines ? That is a mystery. Anyway, to whoever was rejected I am so sorry for the bad news, it is a very bias system. Same goes for CRSH, it is simply not making sense. @MarleyBarley, if you look at your grade from FRQSC you can see where you need to improve. Depending of the area, I would say to work with reviewers for your proposal and make sure everything is crystal clear without any jargon. Also bring up any professionnel or academic experience related to your field that you may have. We often under estimate the small things we do and forget to add them to our CV.

Ouch thats the worst thing, being one place behind the number of grants available. 

The lowest scoring shit was my dossier universitaire, i suspect my bachelor degree grades (gpa of 3.8/4) whereas everyone else have 4 out of 4... theres no way i can change my undergrad gpa. but i will try to improve on other areas. 

Thank you :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, MarleyBarley said:

Ouch thats the worst thing, being one place behind the number of grants available. 

The lowest scoring shit was my dossier universitaire, i suspect my bachelor degree grades (gpa of 3.8/4) whereas everyone else have 4 out of 4... theres no way i can change my undergrad gpa. but i will try to improve on other areas. 

Thank you :)

Don't be too hard on yourself ! 3.8/4 is GOOD. I also had shitty grades in one of my undergrad (thanks to multiple members of my family passing away during my finals in one semester), but now that you are a grad, they are looking at much more. Do you have publications (including professional - The Conversation and University Affairs are a good place to start), conferences (now most are online and cheap, you could present research, theoretical framework, even a class research project !), do you do TAs or RAs, have you helped your community (community services), etc. I still remember how sad my CV looked when I started my PhD lol. It's a work in progress, one thing at a time. You got this. 🙃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/30/2021 at 2:08 PM, Generic_Applicant said:

To everyone who is wondering, I was told by FRQ that no second offers will be made. So no waitlist. Makes 0 sense and very frustrating but ya

Yes, I asked about this because usually they would offer second and sometimes third. And they said that they calculated a "rate" of rejection in their offers. Which still doesn't make sense, what if more or less people decline the grant? I got to say that the process feels less transparent through the years...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CaffeineFueled said:

Yes, I asked about this because usually they would offer second and sometimes third. And they said that they calculated a "rate" of rejection in their offers. Which still doesn't make sense, what if more or less people decline the grant? I got to say that the process feels less transparent through the years...

Yeah exactly. It doesnt sound right...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone know how many times one can apply to FRQ bourses in phd? I know for nserc the 24 month mark would be the last time (ie. 2nd yr phd students) but i was just wondering if FRQ has the same rule. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2021 at 4:12 PM, MarleyBarley said:

Does anyone know how many times one can apply to FRQ bourses in phd? I know for nserc the 24 month mark would be the last time (ie. 2nd yr phd students) but i was just wondering if FRQ has the same rule. 

 


According to the FRQSC website, it’s five years. From this past year’s rules:

To be eligible, applicants must have been enrolled in doctoral studies for less than 5 years (the equivalent of 15 full-time terms) as of May 1, 2021. This includes all terms at the doctoral level including those in another discipline. Previous studies completed as part of a professional doctoral degree are excluded from this total.

Applicants directly admitted to a doctoral program after their undergraduate studies and applicants who have fast-tracked to the doctoral level without obtaining a master's degree must have been enrolled in the doctoral program for less than 6 years (the equivalent of 18 full-time terms), as of May 1, 2021.

Applicants directly admitted to a doctoral program after their undergraduate studies and applicants who have fast-tracked to the doctoral level without obtaining a master's degree are advised to apply for the master's competition, provided that they meet the eligibility requirements.

(Note that summer is counted as a full-time term. And that the number of terms you will have completed by that May 1 date affects how much funding you can receive. I received the doctoral scholarship the last possible term that I could after years of applying unsuccessfully to the PBEEE, and received one installment of $7000 for the next four-month term, rather than the $21000/year.) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.