Help! What Should I do??

DocPending

I have an interview for a Counseling Psychology PhD program. My only concern about the program is that it was initially accredited in 2010 (relatively recent compared to other programs). And their next site visit is this year 2021. I guess I have a fear of them losing their accreditation even though I am unsure why they would. Do you guys think it's appropriate to ask about that during the interview? I really like this program because they mix urban education into their coursework. 

22 minutes ago, DocPending said:

I have an interview for a Counseling Psychology PhD program. My only concern about the program is that it was initially accredited in 2010 (relatively recent compared to other programs). And their next site visit is this year 2021. I guess I have a fear of them losing their accreditation even though I am unsure why they would. Do you guys think it's appropriate to ask about that during the interview? I really like this program because they mix urban education into their coursework. 

I'm not sure if this is helpful at all because I don't know for sure but when my partner was applying to OT school he asked about accreditation because they had something coming up similarly and they were really impressed with the question (he got into the program). I guess the way I see it is the only reason why this question could be looked at in a negative way is if there is an issue with accreditation? Sorry I can't be of more help!

43 minutes ago, DigitalBuddha said:

I'm not sure if this is helpful at all because I don't know for sure but when my partner was applying to OT school he asked about accreditation because they had something coming up similarly and they were really impressed with the question (he got into the program). I guess the way I see it is the only reason why this question could be looked at in a negative way is if there is an issue with accreditation? Sorry I can't be of more help!

Okay that is relieving to hear! And I think you are right if the program takes offense to the question then maybe it could be a sign that the accreditation may be a problem. I think I am stressing about it because if I get accepted it is between this program and another program and would hate if the accreditation fell through when I received another offer. 

17 hours ago, DocPending said:

Okay that is relieving to hear! And I think you are right if the program takes offense to the question then maybe it could be a sign that the accreditation may be a problem. I think I am stressing about it because if I get accepted it is between this program and another program and would hate if the accreditation fell through when I received another offer. 

Just to echo previous answers - yep, they should not take offense with the question. Also, in practice, it is difficult for programs to lose accreditation. I think it's harder to get accredited and easier to get renewed. Also, in order to lose it, I think they would be placed on some sort of "probation" - check their site for programs on probation. If nothing really bad has happened in the past 10 years and the program maintains similar standards and stats, I wouldn't really worry much about it (I speak as someone who was present when a program was renewing their accreditation, APA in that case).

Every program goes through re-accreditation every 10 years or something like that. If they are cagey with their response to that incredibly valid question, something is up. As a PP said, normally programs get put on probation before they actually get their accreditation pulled completely. If the program has good internship match rates and EPPP pass rates, I wouldn't stress too much. APA accreditation is a minimum standard, and there are many subpar programs that have poor outcomes but maintain their accreditation.