2021 Decisions

I know many of us have still to hear back from a few schools, but I'm excited to hear how those who have a few offers are getting on. What are you thinking?

Given the pandemic and all, I think it is a pretty awesome achievement to get in anywhere, let alone with funding! 

How are your MPA/IR/Environment options looking so far?

6 hours ago, EscapingBrexit said:

I know many of us have still to hear back from a few schools, but I'm excited to hear how those who have a few offers are getting on. What are you thinking?

Given the pandemic and all, I think it is a pretty awesome achievement to get in anywhere, let alone with funding! 

How are your MPA/IR/Environment options looking so far?

I'm super grateful to have received acceptances to SIPA's MPA (funding TBD) and Georgetown's MPP (50%). Still waiting on six others so a lot could change, but at the moment I'm most excited about SIPA's program and the opportunity to live in NYC.  

13 hours ago, Shantaram said:

I'm super grateful to have received acceptances to SIPA's MPA (funding TBD) and Georgetown's MPP (50%). Still waiting on six others so a lot could change, but at the moment I'm most excited about SIPA's program and the opportunity to live in NYC.  

Please read the commentary about Georgetown MPP - McCourt on the forum. It is a very different school with lots of unique cons and pros. If it works for you great. However,  hate to see you buyer's remorse that I saw in too many of my classmates. 

8 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

Please read the commentary about Georgetown MPP - McCourt on the forum. It is a very different school with lots of unique cons and pros. If it works for you great. However,  hate to see you buyer's remorse that I saw in too many of my classmates. 

I've definitely gone through your posts and really appreciate the perspective/feedback. McCourt is not at the top of my list for several reasons, however it was nice to get in and the funding is a requirement for any program. Holding out hope for a merit award for SIPA.

20 hours ago, EscapingBrexit said:

Is anyone closer to making a decision? I have 3 important schools to hear back from, but American looks by far to be the most affordable choice at this point. Delighted to have been accepted to SAIS & GWU though! 

I'm leaning hard toward SAIS since they gave me a generous amount of funding and, when paired with my GI Bill, I think it'll be cost neutral. I got into GWU too, but no aid. Still waiting to hear back from Georgetown to make my decision. 

1 minute ago, Kole_Kolt said:

I'm leaning hard toward SAIS since they gave me a generous amount of funding and, when paired with my GI Bill, I think it'll be cost neutral. I got into GWU too, but no aid. Still waiting to hear back from Georgetown to make my decision. 

Cost neutral is pretty fantastic! And SAIS is such a good school! I'm also waiting on Georgetown, but also Harvard and Tufts for some New England variety. 

39 minutes ago, academiaenthusiast said:

Hi! Also waiting on Harvard! Got offers to Fletcher (no word on funding yet), GWU (30%), SAIS (50%), American (50%), and Columbia (50%) but Harvard/Princeton are definitely my top choices!

Those are some pretty compelling offers from top programs, congratulations! I really liked the idea of SIPA before I realized I'd make for a terrible New Yorker ?. Fingers crossed we hear from Harvard soon. 

33 minutes ago, itsbenr99 said:

Only heard back from American and Pitt, and neither have released need-based FA info yet ? waiting to hear back from Fletcher and Columbia by this week. AU and Fletcher are my top choices for different reasons, but hoping for the best!

The more I consider Fletcher, the more I like it. The location, the law angle... I quite like American too. They've been responsive so far. 

• 2 weeks later...

Choosing between the MPA programs at American SPA ($$), Syracuse Maxwell ($$), and Columbia SIPA (not a cent). I also got into UW Evans without funding but it's not as great a fit for me as the others (want to get into global tech policy and regulation). I would have to move cross country for the east coast schools, so moving costs are a consideration. 

SIPA is my top choice, but the full price tag + living expenses in loans is hard to stomach. The only way to make it feasible would be to work while in school, apply to all second year funding options possible and hope to get something, then get a great-paying job right after graduation. 

The merit aid offers from American and Syracuse are tempting. I like the idea of living in DC a lot, but Syracuse would only be one year with way cheaper living costs (though not as many work opportunities).

All said and done, I'm really happy with these choices. Planning to make a weighted ranking system to consider all factors, and am curious to know what other people are thinking as well! 

I'm deciding between MPA programs at American SPA ($$$), GWU Trachtenberg (no word on funding yet), and Columbia SIPA ($$). I've been in DC for the past four years and feel I have already built a strong network, so a huge part of my decision will be do I want to stay in DC and continue working while in school or move to NYC? I want to work in the federal government, so I know the SIPA "brand" doesn't really matter for my career goals by the Ivy League allure is strong. 

Pre-pandemic, I probably would have opted to stay in DC. But now, after a year working from inside my tiny apartment and generally struggling with the isolation of it all, moving to NYC as the world opens back up is really enticing to me. I do see myself moving back to DC and staying for the long-term. 

Cost is certainly also a factor and the price tag on American is looking really nice! I think I can make SIPA work with a combination of savings, loans, and at least a part-time gig while I am there. Curious to see what my aid from GWU looks like. I'm planning to start setting up informational interviews with current students/alumni of these programs and attending the various admitted student events. 

Congrats to everyone for making it to this part of the process! Curious to hear what other folks are thinking about right now. 

Hi everyone, seeking some advice!

I was accepted to MPP programs at Harris ($) and Harvard. I am very lucky to be able to choose between two amazing programs, but I am super stressed!

I currently live in Chicago and my partner got into Booth (the UChicago business school). We were both so excited to go to the same school, live together, (and get a dog!) but then I got into Harvard yesterday afternoon. I think that Harvard is a slightly better fit for me since quant and data are definitely skills that I want to master, but I ultimately want to work in operations, program management, and in leadership roles. I also like the smaller class size. However, I am fully aware that Harris is also an incredible program and would be nice to make Chicago connections if I end up staying there long-term (which is pretty likely). I am interested in gun violence prevention work, and there are a lot of great organizations in that field associated with Harris.

In terms of funding, I received a $15K/year scholarship from Harris, but I would save a similar amount of money if I went to Harvard by living with my parents in Boston. 

Obviously, I'm stuck because I don't want to leave my partner, but can I turn down Harvard? Is my judgement just clouded by the prestige? I would appreciate some insights on the concrete differences between the two MPP programs to help me decide. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! :) 

Trying to decide between two great MPP offers at UChicago Harris and Duke Sanford. Got a bit more FA $$ at Sanford, which is making me lean that way, but wonder if the Harris name is stronger for future jobs searches. I'm interested in health policy, and both seem to have really strong programs in this area. Would love to hear from any current/former students on their experiences, or about which will serve me best in my future :) Thanks and congrats to all the admitted students!! 

23 hours ago, MPP_21 said:

Trying to decide between two great MPP offers at UChicago Harris and Duke Sanford. Got a bit more FA $$ at Sanford, which is making me lean that way, but wonder if the Harris name is stronger for future jobs searches. I'm interested in health policy, and both seem to have really strong programs in this area. Would love to hear from any current/former students on their experiences, or about which will serve me best in my future :) Thanks and congrats to all the admitted students!! 

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-public-affairs-schools/public-policy-analysis-rankings  My thinking is that I'll go to the best program that accepts me.  

On 3/19/2021 at 9:24 AM, MPA2021 said:

I'm deciding between MPA programs at American SPA ($$$), GWU Trachtenberg (no word on funding yet), and Columbia SIPA ($$). I've been in DC for the past four years and feel I have already built a strong network, so a huge part of my decision will be do I want to stay in DC and continue working while in school or move to NYC? I want to work in the federal government, so I know the SIPA "brand" doesn't really matter for my career goals by the Ivy League allure is strong. 

Pre-pandemic, I probably would have opted to stay in DC. But now, after a year working from inside my tiny apartment and generally struggling with the isolation of it all, moving to NYC as the world opens back up is really enticing to me. I do see myself moving back to DC and staying for the long-term. 

Cost is certainly also a factor and the price tag on American is looking really nice! I think I can make SIPA work with a combination of savings, loans, and at least a part-time gig while I am there. Curious to see what my aid from GWU looks like. I'm planning to start setting up informational interviews with current students/alumni of these programs and attending the various admitted student events. 

Congrats to everyone for making it to this part of the process! Curious to hear what other folks are thinking about right now. 

I'm looking at a list of target schools right now for some top orgs that hires policy graduate students. American is absent. I'm pretty sure that speaks for itself. 

On 3/19/2021 at 2:14 AM, mjmcflurry said:

Choosing between the MPA programs at American SPA ($$), Syracuse Maxwell ($$), and Columbia SIPA (not a cent). I also got into UW Evans without funding but it's not as great a fit for me as the others (want to get into global tech policy and regulation). I would have to move cross country for the east coast schools, so moving costs are a consideration. 

SIPA is my top choice, but the full price tag + living expenses in loans is hard to stomach. The only way to make it feasible would be to work while in school, apply to all second year funding options possible and hope to get something, then get a great-paying job right after graduation. 

The merit aid offers from American and Syracuse are tempting. I like the idea of living in DC a lot, but Syracuse would only be one year with way cheaper living costs (though not as many work opportunities).

All said and done, I'm really happy with these choices. Planning to make a weighted ranking system to consider all factors, and am curious to know what other people are thinking as well! 

I think it is a no brainer for you to do Syracuse.

Not to sound mean about it, but American really lacks the brand appreciation, presence where it matters, and resources for you to really be bold and ambitious with your career journey compared to the other options. 

14 minutes ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

I think it is a no brainer for you to do Syracuse.

Not to sound mean about it, but American really lacks the brand appreciation, presence where it matters, and resources for you to really be bold and ambitious with your career journey compared to the other options. 

Thanks for the input -- I've seen your posts re: American on a few threads this year and have definitely taken your points into consideration. While prestige/brand is important to me, I do want to note how well American has treated me through this whole process and that the faculty, current students, and alumni I've spoken with have genuinely impressed me. Coming from the private sector, American has been way more approachable for this major career pivot than some of the other, more notable schools. 

But to your point, I want to be ambitious, thus the dream of SIPA. So, if you'd humor me with a hypothetical: if I'm comparing Syracuse and SIPA sans financial aid -- just on program fit, alumni network, and career support -- would you still say Syracuse? I pose this because I still have some hope of external funding for SIPA, although all said and done it will be more expensive no matter what. 

Thanks again! 

7 minutes ago, mjmcflurry said:

Thanks for the input -- I've seen your posts re: American on a few threads this year and have definitely taken your points into consideration. While prestige/brand is important to me, I do want to note how well American has treated me through this whole process and that the faculty, current students, and alumni I've spoken with have genuinely impressed me. Coming from the private sector, American has been way more approachable for this major career pivot than some of the other, more notable schools. 

But to your point, I want to be ambitious, thus the dream of SIPA. So, if you'd humor me with a hypothetical: if I'm comparing Syracuse and SIPA sans financial aid -- just on program fit, alumni network, and career support -- would you still say Syracuse? I pose this because I still have some hope of external funding for SIPA, although all said and done it will be more expensive no matter what. 

Thanks again! 

The reason why American has been so nice to you because SPA got some money recently and have been spending it on construction and overhead (AKA: not academic staffing). Don't let that fool you. Just go on LinkedIn to see where their grad students (especially non IR SPA grad students) end up and compare for yourself. The reality is that academic and professional programming is more expensive to resource and sustain + their impacts are long term. It is comparatively cheap to hire nice admin staff to try to lure students for immediate effect. 

American SPA is actually investing in strategic interests, but you don't yield benefits from that for years (if not a decade), so the short term improvements with admin is what you are benefiting on. 

As for Syracuse vs. SIPA head on, it totally depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it. If anything you do has a remote IR angle or would really be enhanced by experiential learning, SIPA makes sense. if what you want to do is more research focused and you value community, Syracuse makes since. If you go to SIPA, unless you have your own New York crew of friends, it will likely be a rather lonely journey (for most people). 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

11 minutes ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

The reason why American has been so nice to you because SPA got some money recently and have been spending it on construction and overhead (AKA: not academic staffing). Don't let that fool you. Just go on LinkedIn to see where their grad students (especially non IR SPA grad students) end up and compare for yourself. The reality is that academic and professional programming is more expensive to resource and sustain + their impacts are long term. It is comparatively cheap to hire nice admin staff to try to lure students for immediate effect. 

American SPA is actually investing in strategic interests, but you don't yield benefits from that for years (if not a decade), so the short term improvements with admin is what you are benefiting on. 

As for Syracuse vs. SIPA head on, it totally depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it. If anything you do has a remote IR angle or would really be enhanced by experiential learning, SIPA makes sense. if what you want to do is more research focused and you value community, Syracuse makes since. If you go to SIPA, unless you have your own New York crew of friends, it will likely be a rather lonely journey (for most people). 

Thanks for the quick response and the extra insight!

So much to consider, so little time. 

5 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

I'm looking at a list of target schools right now for some top orgs that hires policy graduate students. American is absent. I'm pretty sure that speaks for itself. 

Would you mind sharing the list? would be interested in knowing the target schools for top orgs.