CANADIAN Audiology Thread 2021

speechie97

Hi! I just declined my offer to Dal (which I am so disappointed to have to do because it has been my dream to study there for the last 3 years!) -but if anyone is on the waitlist I hope this is good news. Will be attended Western in the Fall:)

Edited by k8audio
More info to add

39 minutes ago, Aud2021 said:

I job shadowed at two different hearing clinics. I also had some experience with a language research lab.

thank you for sharing. oh wow. Im surprised you got waitlisted. I am also waitlisted with sGPA of 3.64 ?? and 117 hours of job shadowing.  Im starting to lose hope.?

5 minutes ago, k8audio said:

Hi! I just declined my offer to Dal (which I am so disappointed to have to do!) -but if anyone is on the waitlist I hope this is good news. Will be attended Western in the Fall:)

Congrats on your acceptance to both schools ? do you mind sharing your stats?

3 minutes ago, damaei said:

Congrats on your acceptance to both schools ? do you mind sharing your stats?

Thank you! ?? my overall GPA was 3.96 & sGPA was 3.97 from a BASc in Public Health. I actually didn't have any hearing/ language related experience (other than speaking French) but have a lottt of experience with seniors and in social services (volunteer and work). Where are you hoping to study? Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

24 minutes ago, k8audio said:

Hi! I just declined my offer to Dal (which I am so disappointed to have to do because it has been my dream to study there for the last 3 years!) -but if anyone is on the waitlist I hope this is good news. Will be attended Western in the Fall:)

Hey! Congrats on getting into Western! If you mind me asking, what made you choose Western over Dalhousie? 

22 minutes ago, damaei said:

thank you for sharing. oh wow. Im surprised you got waitlisted. I am also waitlisted with sGPA of 3.64 ?? and 117 hours of job shadowing.  Im starting to lose hope.?

Don’t lose hope! 117 is a lot of hours! But I understand the feeling though. I don’t know how many people on the waitlist are really going to have a chance to get off. It seems like a lot of us are on the list. 

8 hours ago, Aud2021 said:

Hey! Congrats on getting into Western! If you mind me asking, what made you choose Western over Dalhousie? 

Thank you! And congrats on Dal! Ahh it was a really hard decision. I ended up deciding to go with Western for a few reasons. #1 is that it is a two year program instead of three. I was really burnt out in my fourth year and can't see myself still wanting to be in school three years down the line. #2 is that it is close to home for me... my partner and grandparents live an hour away. I was nervous about the East Coast's mandatory 2 week quarantine and not being able to visit home for really long stretches. #3 - I was able to find open houses and talk to a lot of Western Clinical Sciences people... I would feel totally in the dark to go to Dal because there is so much less info available on their program (and they only had a really general virtual open house). I probably would've considered it more strongly had they done a program specific open house like Western did, because that's what really got me excited about the program. 

2 hours ago, k8audio said:

Thank you! And congrats on Dal! Ahh it was a really hard decision. I ended up deciding to go with Western for a few reasons. #1 is that it is a two year program instead of three. I was really burnt out in my fourth year and can't see myself still wanting to be in school three years down the line. #2 is that it is close to home for me... my partner and grandparents live an hour away. I was nervous about the East Coast's mandatory 2 week quarantine and not being able to visit home for really long stretches. #3 - I was able to find open houses and talk to a lot of Western Clinical Sciences people... I would feel totally in the dark to go to Dal because there is so much less info available on their program (and they only had a really general virtual open house). I probably would've considered it more strongly had they done a program specific open house like Western did, because that's what really got me excited about the program. 

I've been thinking about all those factors too! That's why I'd definitely accept Western if they call me this week. It's hard to get excited about Dal when they have been communicating with me the least out of all of the schools. 

Good luck to you at Western!

9 hours ago, k8audio said:

Hey! Can I ask how you were able to find open houses for Western? Do you mean online resources or actual open houses to talk to former/current students (even during this lockdown)? I'm trying to find more information on the program and so this would be very useful to me! 

25 minutes ago, AudiOt said:

Wow that filled so fast, did anyone even get called off of the waitlist? 

I counted at least 2 people who rejected their Western Audiology admission, so I'm assuming the school had to have pulled from the waitlist? 

Anyway, I think more spots might open up when OT and PT acceptances come out on May 14th because people might have applied to those programs as well and might consider switching. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, audifuture said:

Thanks for replying! I hope you get in!! Goodluck?? 

You too!! I'm so stressed. It honestly sucks because my health got in the way of my studies and I could have done so much better. Wish they looked at experience equally as GPA. 

8 minutes ago, Slpwannabe97 said:

You too!! I'm so stressed. It honestly sucks because my health got in the way of my studies and I could have done so much better. Wish they looked at experience equally as GPA. 

thank you!! I'm so sorry to hear that - I know honestly I find it unfair that they're not looking at experience honestly.