CANADIAN Audiology Thread 2021

speechie97

Hey everyone.

I had trouble finding an Audiology forum for Canadian universities so I decided to make one myself! I am from Newfoundland and originally I was only going to apply to SLP programs, but I figured out that I had all the pre-reqs for Western's AUDI program so I thought I would apply there :) Ideally, I would like to become an SLP, but an audiologist is tied for first as well so either one I would be quite please about! Good luck to everyone!!

Edited by speechie97

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I only applied to Western, what is the main thing they look for in the admissions process? I have a lot of volunteer experience, but not any audiology-related volunteer experience at all.

Applied to: Western

Accepted Waitlisted / Rejected

Hi guys!

I've applied to UBC and I am sooo nervous waiting to hear back!!  I have a lot of audiology experience (volunteer at a not-for-profit helping low income Deaf and hard of hearing individuals as well as working as an assistant in an audiology clinic for about 6 months and some job shadowing) but I'm nervous about my GPA.  I think I have about a 3.70 on UBC's 4.33 scale (about 80%) average in my last two years.  I did a biology degree for my undergrad and some of those hard science courses did a number on my GPA.  It seems like this program is just so competitive but it's so exciting to think about getting in!  Any other hopeful UBC Audi students out there?  

Applied to: UBC 

Accepted Waitlisted Rejected

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 7:55 PM, speechie97 said:

Hey everyone.

I had trouble finding an Audiology forum for Canadian universities so I decided to make one myself! I am from Newfoundland and originally I was only going to apply to SLP programs, but I figured out that I had all the pre-reqs for Western's AUDI program so I thought I would apply there :) Ideally, I would like to become an SLP, but an audiologist is tied for first as well so either one I would be quite please about! Good luck to everyone!!

I applied to both too! Apparently acceptances come out April 1st at 11:59 pm ??? 

32 minutes ago, AudiOntario said:

I applied to both too! Apparently acceptances come out April 1st at 11:59 pm ??? 

It was not that late last year for SLP...I got my emails from both U of T and Western right when I woke up that morning. I really hope it doesn't come out that late as my patience won't last that long hahah I'll be calling both universities if I don't hear sooner LOL (jk). I hope I see you in the fall! :) 

On 3/22/2021 at 8:32 PM, speechie97 said:

It was not that late last year for SLP...I got my emails from both U of T and Western right when I woke up that morning. I really hope it doesn't come out that late as my patience won't last that long hahah I'll be calling both universities if I don't hear sooner LOL (jk). I hope I see you in the fall! :) 

damnn the suspense is killing me ?? i hope to see you too! :)) 

1 hour ago, Moe95 said:

What time do they normally send out the acceptance letters? And is it done via email, ORPAS, or western website?

i've heard from other forums they update your status on Western's student portal at midnight (if you activated ur student number). ORPAS updates the next day i believe. Not 100% sure tho! I'm waiting up ???

I, unfortunately was not accepted. For those who were accepted or waitlisted, congratulations, you should be proud!!! Just a heads up, for SLP, if you are waitlisted, you can email Janet and she will tell you what quadrant you are in on the waitlist, but nothing else! I'm assuming it's the same for audiology, but I could be wrong! 

5 minutes ago, speechie97 said:

I, unfortunately was not accepted. For those who were accepted or waitlisted, congratulations, you should be proud!!! Just a heads up, for SLP, if you are waitlisted, you can email Janet and she will tell you what quadrant you are in on the waitlist, but nothing else! I'm assuming it's the same for audiology, but I could be wrong! 

Im sorry to hear that :( Thanks for the info. Best of luck in the future ❤️

24 minutes ago, speechie97 said:

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that too! Thank you for the kind words! Also thank you for opening this thread to let us connect, all the best!