2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

15 hours ago, beefboy said:

hey everyone, so i'm waitlisted at syracuse for poetry (2nd year in a row lmao) ... and last year i did end up waiting until the 15th for news, but i'm not on draft so i was just curious if anyone's heard anything on there. thanks!! 

One person got off the waitlist for poetry and another for fiction. I'm in the same position as you but for fiction, what I did was email Terri to ask how many people had already accepted their places. Not that this will make any difference but at least it took away some of my anxiety! Wishing you all the best :)

Waitlist movement checkkkk 

Iowa - poetry (yes really) 

UNR - fiction 

Alabama - fiction (coming this week)

sarah Lawrence - fiction 

the new school - fiction 

columbia - fiction

GMU - fiction 

university of southern Maine - fiction 

Hollins - poetry 

Virginia tech fiction has likely filled their class. it sounds like if you’re on the waitlist and they’re unable to offer you funding they will reach out soon if they haven’t already.

16 hours ago, CHRISTOPHER QUANG BUI said:

Seen any updates as of yet? 

Regarding the South Carolina waitlist… I responded to your PM yesterday, no news. I did see that at least two people in the last month have said they’ve turned down their offers, but there’s a person in the draft group who was told she was first on waitlist and she’s not received an offer yet. I was told I was high up, they didn’t specify where, so I don’t think they arbitrarily told her she’s first because they’re definitely not telling everyone that. They either initially offered more people than spots, or they’re taking weeks and weeks to fill open spots (most likely the former). This is all to say that it’s difficult to tell if/when they’ll get to their waitlist. 

Hello everyone. Been reading posts on here all season but never posted. I am very grateful for all of you for keeping me sane! Congrats to everyone!

I have been waitlisted in fiction at the five schools below. I feel very in over my head here. Anyone have any advice for the next ten days or any info about the programs you think I should know? Feeling in the dark.

Bowling Green University
Brown
University of Houston
University of Michigan
Oregon State University

Thanks again! I'm so glad this site exists!

3 hours ago, retrotyping said:

Regarding the South Carolina waitlist… I responded to your PM yesterday, no news. I did see that at least two people in the last month have said they’ve turned down their offers, but there’s a person in the draft group who was told she was first on waitlist and she’s not received an offer yet. I was told I was high up, they didn’t specify where, so I don’t think they arbitrarily told her she’s first because they’re definitely not telling everyone that. They either initially offered more people than spots, or they’re taking weeks and weeks to fill open spots (most likely the former). This is all to say that it’s difficult to tell if/when they’ll get to their waitlist. 

Thanks for the response. I hope my inquiry came as no disturbance. 

It’d be interesting, perhaps even problematic, if they sent more spots than could be filled because in the off chance everyone accepts, what then? I know it’s unlikely but it’s not impossible that’d everyone actually would accept. 

And I do apologize but I didnt see any notifications for the PM. 

Here’s to hoping that they’re just sifting through decisions and some movement occurs on the waitlist! 

Thanks a lot for keeping me updated. It means a lot! 

Best of luck to us and if you could continue to keep me updated here on gradcafe, I’d greatly appreciate it! 

19 hours ago, CHRISTOPHER QUANG BUI said:

Seen any updates as of yet? 

Are you on Hollins' waitlist as well? Looks like we're both vying for the same schools if so :) Hollins and U of SC? Also, did anyone mention that UTK's waitlist is 89 people long? Someone in draft emailed them and this is what they said! I'm also considering NYU because I've lived in NY all my life and I'm frightened of leaving, but I really do want to leave, so hopefully I will gather the courage.

...*And* get off the waitlist of the school I want to go to. ?

7 minutes ago, CLCH said:

Hello everyone. Been reading posts on here all season but never posted. I am very grateful for all of you for keeping me sane! Congrats to everyone!

I have been waitlisted in fiction at the five schools below. I feel very in over my head here. Anyone have any advice for the next ten days or any info about the programs you think I should know? Feeling in the dark.

Bowling Green University
Brown
University of Houston
University of Michigan
Oregon State University

Congrats to you on your waitlists! I'm waitlisted in fiction at four schools (one of which is also Michigan), and I feel your pain! I'm mostly trying to distract myself while gathering as much information about programs as possible. If I'm offered a spot (or have to decide very quickly between multiple offers), I'm hoping I'll have enough info to be able to do so. 

3 minutes ago, fier said:

Congrats to you on your waitlists! I'm waitlisted in fiction at four schools (one of which is also Michigan), and I feel your pain! I'm mostly trying to distract myself while gathering as much information about programs as possible. If I'm offered a spot (or have to decide very quickly between multiple offers), I'm hoping I'll have enough info to be able to do so. 

Congrats to you too! Maybe we'll see each other in Michigan in the fall. 

1 minute ago, Roalddahli said:

Are you on Hollins' waitlist as well? Looks like we're both vying for the same schools if so :) Hollins and U of SC? Also, did anyone mention that UTK's waitlist is 89 people long? Someone in draft emailed them and this is what they said! I'm also considering NYU because I've lived in NY all my life and I'm frightened of leaving, but I really do want to leave, so hopefully I will gather the courage.

...*And* get off the waitlist of the school I want to go to. ?

Yes, I’m on the waitlist for both! 

I’ve always, always wanted to live in NYC—and definitely will one day—but the financial part scares me. But it’d for sure be an experience like no other! 

Good luck. I’ve been anxious and tense this whole process but it is coming to an end rather quickly! 

4 minutes ago, CLCH said:

Congrats to you too! Maybe we'll see each other in Michigan in the fall. 

Fingers certainly crossed! It's at the top of my list, but I'm not totally sure how much movement there'll be. We'll see how things go!

31 minutes ago, CHRISTOPHER QUANG BUI said:

Thanks for the response. I hope my inquiry came as no disturbance. 

It’d be interesting, perhaps even problematic, if they sent more spots than could be filled because in the off chance everyone accepts, what then? I know it’s unlikely but it’s not impossible that’d everyone actually would accept. 

And I do apologize but I didnt see any notifications for the PM. 

Here’s to hoping that they’re just sifting through decisions and some movement occurs on the waitlist! 

Thanks a lot for keeping me updated. It means a lot! 

Best of luck to us and if you could continue to keep me updated here on gradcafe, I’d greatly appreciate it! 

No problem at all! And I had the same thoughts about them offering more spots than they had… but who knows if that’s the case, that’s just what a few people are assuming. I’ll be sure to update you if I see anything, and so you know, I’m pretty sure I’m going to remove myself from their waitlist and focus on other offers, so I should be out of your way! Good luck to you too.

43 minutes ago, CLCH said:

Bowling Green University
Brown
University of Houston
University of Michigan
Oregon State University

First off, congrats! Such wonderful programs!! if I see spots open up at these, I’ll try to post them here… I feel so passionate about easing the pain of this process lol  

My biggest piece of advice (granted i don’t actually know much) is to make sure you express your desire to attend the schools if you do want to attend. I told my top choices I felt confident I would accept an offer if a spot opened up. Also inquire about the size and your rank on the waitlist. Sometimes program directors will be very frank that you’re in the middle of the waitlist and 3/4 spots have already been filled — in which case, manage your expectations. As April 15 approaches, I know that I’m personally going to check in with programs and confirm if they’ve filled all their spots. Unfortunately, I’ve heard that communication toward the deadline is not always prompt.  

In terms of program-specific information, your best bet is trying to talk with current students and faculty. Some programs will be really accessible to their waitlisted candidates; if they offer to zoom with you or answer your questions, take them up on it! It seems like most programs will effectively ghost their waitlisted candidates until the time comes to admit/reject them… so I would suggest reading their websites front to back, listen to the MFA podcast episodes that are relevant to these schools, Google the faculty and watch/read their interviews. There are a lot of people on here and on Draft familiar with certain programs, so if you can join the MFA draft Facebook page, that’s definitely going to connect you with people who are a wealth of program-specific information. The more research you do, the more confident you’ll feel if you get off a waitlist somewhere and have to make a decision same day. Good luck to you, the waiting is so stressful!! 

21 minutes ago, retrotyping said:

First off, congrats! Such wonderful programs!! if I see spots open up at these, I’ll try to post them here… I feel so passionate about easing the pain of this process lol  

My biggest piece of advice (granted i don’t actually know much) is to make sure you express your desire to attend the schools if you do want to attend. I told my top choices I felt confident I would accept an offer if a spot opened up. Also inquire about the size and your rank on the waitlist. Sometimes program directors will be very frank that you’re in the middle of the waitlist and 3/4 spots have already been filled — in which case, manage your expectations. As April 15 approaches, I know that I’m personally going to check in with programs and confirm if they’ve filled all their spots. Unfortunately, I’ve heard that communication toward the deadline is not always prompt.  

In terms of program-specific information, your best bet is trying to talk with current students and faculty. Some programs will be really accessible to their waitlisted candidates; if they offer to zoom with you or answer your questions, take them up on it! It seems like most programs will effectively ghost their waitlisted candidates until the time comes to admit/reject them… so I would suggest reading their websites front to back, listen to the MFA podcast episodes that are relevant to these schools, Google the faculty and watch/read their interviews. There are a lot of people on here and on Draft familiar with certain programs, so if you can join the MFA draft Facebook page, that’s definitely going to connect you with people who are a wealth of program-specific information. The more research you do, the more confident you’ll feel if you get off a waitlist somewhere and have to make a decision same day. Good luck to you, the waiting is so stressful!! 

Thank you so much!

52 minutes ago, retrotyping said:

No problem at all! And I had the same thoughts about them offering more spots than they had… but who knows if that’s the case, that’s just what a few people are assuming. I’ll be sure to update you if I see anything, and so you know, I’m pretty sure I’m going to remove myself from their waitlist and focus on other offers, so I should be out of your way! Good luck to you too.

Thanks a lot! 

Well, hopefully you removing yourself gives me better chances! 

With other acceptances and waitlists out there, I could definitely see why you would want more time to focus on things, the more concrete things. 

I wish us both the best of luck and am truly rooting for us! 

small update i just saw: a poetry applicant posted on draft to update everyone that she'd officially rejected funded offers of admission from Cornell, Iowa, NC State, and U of Michigan. best of luck to waitlisted applicants in the weeks to come!

edit: based on timing of draft posts, i think U of Michigan has already filled their newly vacant poetry spot (about an hour ago).

Edited by autumn wind

Y'all, I'm dying, haha.

This stretch of silence is absolutely killer.  I emailed UAF about getting in touch with a current student and Dr. Brightwell was more than gracious and connected me with one.  The student responded to all of my questions with exquisite detail and insight, which, of course, only makes the waiting more torturous.  Nothing on funding yet from them, and seems none of those on the waitlist for funding like me populate Draft (or are keeping it to themselves).  I get why, but I really loathe how this part of the cycle seems to encourage people to hoard information to a certain degree for fear of giving someone else an advantage somehow.  Not saying this happens with everyone, just that I've seen it happen.  The whole cycle really needs a brutal reworking.

Also, still haven't heard from Rutgers-Camden.  It's clear to me it's a rejection, but it's absolutely mystifying why they wait so long to inform people of their decisions (especially since it's just an update on your portal that reads, "You were not accepted," haha).  I get there are a lot of applicants and portfolios to sift through, but who are we kidding here?

Got in contact with M.O. Walsh from New Orleans about the possibility of hearing back concerning funding before April 15th, but he did not respond (which I get, especially if he doesn't have an answer).  That's also another issue: asking relevant questions to show interest and satisfy one's curiosity, while not seeming like you're too desperate and needy.  I'm not sure why wanting something really badly is bad form, but at the end, it doesn't matter much since the choices made remain arbitrary to a certain extent, and most completely out of one's control once the app has been sent out.

Anyway, good luck to everyone waiting.  I'm hoping either UAF or New Orleans get in touch before June 1 so I can make my decision (even if it's to say I can't go to either due to a lack of funding), or if Rutgers-Camden decides to return to Earth from whatever planetary voyage they're currently undertaking, a notification from them would be most welcome as well.

Cheers to you all!  Stay (mostly) sane!

3 minutes ago, oubukibun said:

Also, still haven't heard from Rutgers-Camden.  It's clear to me it's a rejection, but it's absolutely mystifying why they wait so long to inform people of their decisions (especially since it's just an update on your portal that reads, "You were not accepted," haha).  I get there are a lot of applicants and portfolios to sift through, but who are we kidding here?

Got in contact with M.O. Walsh from New Orleans about the possibility of hearing back concerning funding before April 15th, but he did not respond (which I get, especially if he doesn't have an answer).  That's also another issue: asking relevant questions to show interest and satisfy one's curiosity, while not seeming like you're too desperate and needy.  I'm not sure why wanting something really badly is bad form, but at the end, it doesn't matter much since the choices made remain arbitrary to a certain extent, and most completely out of one's control once the app has been sent out.

Anyway, good luck to everyone waiting.  I'm hoping either UAF or New Orleans get in touch before June 1 so I can make my decision (even if it's to say I can't go to either due to a lack of funding), or if Rutgers-Camden decides to return to Earth from whatever planetary voyage they're currently undertaking, a notification from them would be most welcome as well.

hi! to the best of my knowledge, all acceptances and waitlist notifications for rutgers-camden have gone out early march (though recent movement/shuffling has been going on). it seems like they're one of those schools who take ages to notify rejected applicants, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, chuey said:

Re: UofSC, I turned down my fiction offer earlier today, so hopefully expect waitlist movement there. For what it's worth, I don't think they sent out more offers than they have spots.

Oh cool! I'm first on the fiction waitlist, maybe this means they'll reach out. Where are you headed, then?

3 hours ago, autumn wind said:

hi! to the best of my knowledge, all acceptances and waitlist notifications for rutgers-camden have gone out early march (though recent movement/shuffling has been going on). it seems like they're one of those schools who take ages to notify rejected applicants, unfortunately. 

Oh, no doubt.  It's just confounding that institutions can ask you to pay for the privilege of knowing nothing until the last possible second.  Let me rephrase: confounding, but not surprising.  There's very little that surprises me in this country when it comes to higher institutions of learning...  Or money.

Also, it bugs me that I didn't use the singular form of my verb with the use of "either" and now I can't edit my original post.  These are the intricacies of writing that I love...  And that drive me absolutely bonkers.

Cheers all!  Stay groovy!  :)

4 hours ago, Roalddahli said:

Oh cool! I'm first on the fiction waitlist, maybe this means they'll reach out. Where are you headed, then?

Wait, really? Someone else said they were first for fiction on waitlist..?

Either way, congrats! It’ll be interesting to see how things pan out over at USC. 

21 minutes ago, CHRISTOPHER QUANG BUI said:

Wait, really? Someone else said they were first for fiction on waitlist..?

Either way, congrats! It’ll be interesting to see how things pan out over at USC. 

I was the person who said it in draft! Two people have declined and U of SC is still yet to reach out, so I'm interested to see how it pans out as well. These have been a very long couple of months 

1 minute ago, Roalddahli said:

I was the person who said it in draft! Two people have declined and U of SC is still yet to reach out, so I'm interested to see how it pans out as well. These have been a very long couple of months 

Well I’m sure you’ll get it! And thanks a lot for clearing up the confusion. 

I’m incredibly anxious as U of SC told me I was “very high” on the waitlist as well. It’d be so cool if we were in the same cohort. I really, really want this spot, like bad. lol…

Good luck, seriously, I’m hoping for you.