2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

12 hours ago, CHRISTOPHER QUANG BUI said:

I’m really not sure! I want to see UofSC’s funding but I’m thinking Hollins. 

I asked the director about funding a few weeks ago, he told me at least $10,125 and then it’s higher in years 2 and 3. Columbia also has a very low cost of living, so definitely remember that. Not sure if this helps, good luck with your decision!

On 4/4/2022 at 10:23 AM, beefboy said:

hey everyone, so i'm waitlisted at syracuse for poetry (2nd year in a row lmao) ... and last year i did end up waiting until the 15th for news, but i'm not on draft so i was just curious if anyone's heard anything on there. thanks!! 

Did you ever hear anything from Syracuse?

Just now, Pinckney said:

Did you ever hear anything from Syracuse?

i did on the 19th i got released from the waitlist— gonna go to an MA program and possibly apply again in two or so years for fiction:) third time’s a charm lol

On 4/18/2022 at 9:53 AM, RosA-R said:

Did anyone ever hear back from City College? Someone on Draft said they got an update on their portal without an email notification, but havent heard of anyone else hearing back.

I heard from CCNY on 4/20 that I'd been accepted. You've probably heard by now too. Sorry to reply so late - I haven't been on this list for a while. What have you decided to do for next year?

7 hours ago, 1moreX said:

I heard from CCNY on 4/20 that I'd been accepted. You've probably heard by now too. Sorry to reply so late - I haven't been on this list for a while. What have you decided to do for next year?

First, congrats on Florida State!!

Believe it or not I still haven't heard back!!! Last week my portal updated from saying 'under faculty review' to 'dean review', so I have no idea what that means. 

I did get in somewhere else though (much later than a certain someone's timeline on here, so it's not as early a decision as some might believe, but it is as secretive) and have committed to it, and it wasn't Sarah Lawrence.......

Anyway, I'm very happy with how things turned out; this was my first time applying, and I know I limited myself by location (NYC) and number of applications (see: past posts). I didn't know anything about the MFA process until just before applying, so I am still a little in shock that it turned out the way it did, but I am extremely grateful to this group and Draft for getting me through it!

If anyone else is attending in NYC please reach out, I'd love to make more writer friends!

14 minutes ago, RosA-R said:

First, congrats on Florida State!!

Believe it or not I still haven't heard back!!! Last week my portal updated from saying 'under faculty review' to 'dean review', so I have no idea what that means.

My CCNY portal also said "Dean Review" a week or so before I was accepted. Honestly, I don't think an application gets as far as the dean unless it's close to a stamp of approval. (But I'm just guessing.) Then came a neutral email from grad admissions and a link on the portal to the letter of acceptance. At CCNY I loved the director, Michelle Valadares, the location, and all the incredible partnerships they have.

Thanks for the congrats. And I'm so glad you've found a good place for yourself that makes you happy, that you'll now have the freedom to go forward with your CNF next year.

On 4/26/2022 at 10:10 AM, 1moreX said:

My CCNY portal also said "Dean Review" a week or so before I was accepted. Honestly, I don't think an application gets as far as the dean unless it's close to a stamp of approval. (But I'm just guessing.) Then came a neutral email from grad admissions and a link on the portal to the letter of acceptance. At CCNY I loved the director, Michelle Valadares, the location, and all the incredible partnerships they have.

Thanks for the congrats. And I'm so glad you've found a good place for yourself that makes you happy, that you'll now have the freedom to go forward with your CNF next year.

Update: I got into CCNY today!!

I know this forum is winding down, but thanks to everyone here, it was great to have this space!! I had so many questions and you all really helped!!

In case anyone is reading this in the future: I didn't have a clue about grad programs before this cycle. I knew I did not want to leave NYC since I already live here, and I personally saw applying to any schools that weren't my dream schools as a waste of time. I knew I only cared about two schools and applied to both, and only applied to CCNY afterwards because they had the latest deadline. I was mostly motivated to apply because it seemed like if you don't apply to 6+ schools in a variety of locations, you are severely hurting your chances.

I also got the worst 'poor you' look from a current professor when she said that applying with adjunct recs was a bad idea, and only faculty professors should be used for recs (this was well after I had submitted my applications with two recommendations from adjuncts).

But it worked out, as I was not disappointed in any way. It is absolutely crazy to me that it turned out this way, but if it can happen for me, it could happen for you, so trust your gut.

P.S. I so badly want to do that thing where you write your final tally, but I don't think I can :)

P.P.S The advice given here is done with the best of intentions, and I am so so grateful for it, but past timelines can only be used to predict how the next cycle will go, there is no guarantee that things will follow the same dates. All hope is not lost if its taken a while longer than last year to hear back!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2022 at 11:45 AM, VillaTheKilla said:

Anyone heard anything about NYU fiction waitlist? 

I received my rejection from the fiction waitlist about a week ago. I was surprised to hear back so early, as I heard that their waitlist sometimes runs into mid-summer. Seems like there wasn't a lot of movement this year. Frankly, I feel relieved to no longer be in limbo, to be able to commit to other plans for next year.

Has anyone else heard back? Hopefully I wasn't the only one ahaha. I had a recent paranoid nightmare in which it was because they took a second glance at my application and saw all of the glaring flaws that they previously missed...