2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

31 minutes ago, Roalddahli said:

Nothing from U of SC but I'll let you know as soon as they reach out @CHRISTOPHER QUANG BUI! I'm also waiting on Hollins. I think if I do somehow make it off both waitlists, I'd choose Hollins. 

Yeah, that’d be awesome, too. Good luck, either way. We might be classmates in the fall! Let’s hope we hear something by the end of the day tomorrow. 

Well, I just declined an assistantship with tuition covered and a pay of $14,000. I visited the campus this weekend, at Oklahoma State University, and I sadly did not see myself there. I had to go, in person, to realize that I wasn't supposed to be there. It is heartbreaking to know they believed in me and were ready to invest, but I was not able to match their passion. It just wasn't the program for me, and I know if I accepted the position, I would regret it. 

I'm currently still on the waitlist for VT, but I hear the fiction category is all filled up. I think it's time just for me to relax and write. I have been rethinking grad school as a whole. I'm a very young applicant and there is much room for improvement on my part. This year gave me a waitlist at my dream school and an acceptance, scholarship and assistantship at my safety school!

What a win for this first-gen hillbilly kid. Proud of myself. And proud of all of you for trying. As they say — trying is the siamese twin of success. 

On 4/5/2022 at 12:13 PM, CLCH said:

Hello everyone. Been reading posts on here all season but never posted. I am very grateful for all of you for keeping me sane! Congrats to everyone!

I have been waitlisted in fiction at the five schools below. I feel very in over my head here. Anyone have any advice for the next ten days or any info about the programs you think I should know? Feeling in the dark.

Bowling Green University
Brown
University of Houston
University of Michigan
Oregon State University

Thanks again! I'm so glad this site exists!

Hey! Someone accepted at Michigan for fiction just accepted another offer, so possibly some waitlist movement happening today!!! 

19 hours ago, Roalddahli said:

Nothing from U of SC but I'll let you know as soon as they reach out @CHRISTOPHER QUANG BUI! I'm also waiting on Hollins. I think if I do somehow make it off both waitlists, I'd choose Hollins. 

Congrats on the spot! Heard from the director last night…

16 minutes ago, Roalddahli said:

@CHRISTOPHER QUANG BUIthanks! Yeah, he reached out last night and I saw this morning! Not sure I'm going to accept, I'll let you know what happens! 

Thank you! Yeah, I’m apparently next on the waitlist. But that’s really awesome news for you! 

I hope whatever you decide works out! ? 

Hi all- forgive me if this is a silly question, but this is my first cycle and I'm anxiously waiting on news from the school I'm waitlisted at! How likely is it that I'll get some news today? Aren't they supposed to let us know what our status is since it's "decision day"? Or does that not apply to the waitlist? 

1 hour ago, immyc said:

Hi all- forgive me if this is a silly question, but this is my first cycle and I'm anxiously waiting on news from the school I'm waitlisted at! How likely is it that I'll get some news today? Aren't they supposed to let us know what our status is since it's "decision day"? Or does that not apply to the waitlist? 

So basically, you're more likely to get notified today, BUT it might not happen.

Schools will only notify you of a waitlist rejection "sometime" after they have filled their entire cohort. Unfortunately, not every school prioritizes this, and it may take a few days (or weeks) from when they filled their cohort.

There is also a lot of movement even among people on waitlists, and this movement can take time (where they notify next person, next person says no.) So it happens, sometimes, that people can get waitlist offers after April 15. 

You'll likely get some closure today, hopefully, since a lot of movement does happen today. 

Hope that helps! Stay strong, it's almost over ? 

59 minutes ago, koechophe said:

So basically, you're more likely to get notified today, BUT it might not happen.

Schools will only notify you of a waitlist rejection "sometime" after they have filled their entire cohort. Unfortunately, not every school prioritizes this, and it may take a few days (or weeks) from when they filled their cohort.

There is also a lot of movement even among people on waitlists, and this movement can take time (where they notify next person, next person says no.) So it happens, sometimes, that people can get waitlist offers after April 15. 

You'll likely get some closure today, hopefully, since a lot of movement does happen today. 

Thank you so much for the reply! This helps a lot. Fingers crossed for today... don't think my nerves can take this anymore lol.

23 hours ago, maybenot14 said:

Anyone accepting offers at University of Miami (Fl)? I accepted mine last week--$18k stipend, full tuition waiver. Feeling really lucky as it's my first/last round & the only school I applied to. I would love to hear from others in my cohort!

Hi, I'm going there! (If we haven't met already haha)

Thank you so much to you guys for being supportive. I committed to Miami today!

4 hours ago, koechophe said:

Thanks for all the info! 
No news from Sarah Lawrence and Columbia still… getting anxious ?

4 minutes ago, eatpraylovelove said:

Thanks for all the info! 
No news from Sarah Lawrence and Columbia still… getting anxious ?

And Columbia says that: Placement in the Program can become available at any time between now and the end of the summer; however, we will inform you of any changes in a timely manner.

So it could be anytime from now until late august… ???