PhD / DrPh Fall 2022

2 hours ago, gipa said:

I definitely would not take it personally.  I think the UNC DrPH program are looking for specific qualifications based upon their particular cohort that year, if that makes sense.  It does not at all mean you or we are not highly qualified.  I agree, it does sting and I get down on myself but I have to remind myself what I have accomplished and it just means this door closed and another door will open!

Thanks for these tips. I always thought UNC was the smallest chance I had based on the particular cohort model and requirements to be quite advanced in your career (I have 10 years in PH with 7 of those post-masters), but then the application was so involved and such a pain that I started to think maybe fewer folks would apply because of that and I'd have a good chance. ?   Not exactly an assumption based on any sense of reality. Your positive words help.

4 hours ago, medception said:

Update: Was rejected from the Health Econ track but waitlisted for the Health Services Research and Policy track lol

Found out I am second on the JHU HSR waitlist. They had over 100 apps to the HSR track alone. Whoever else got accepted please decline! Lol. This seriously complicates my life. I don't really want to go to Minnesota but I will if I have to.

Edited by medception

4 minutes ago, medception said:

Found out I am second on the JHU HSR waitlist. Whoever else got accepted please decline! Lol. This seriously complicates my life. I don't really want to go to Minnesota but I will if I have to.

Rooting for you! JHU is my first choice. Waiting til March for DrPH.

Meanwhile, UNMC is supposed to let me know "very soon" if my application is forward to final review and Indiana is late Feb/early March. I have not heard back definitively on any of my 5 schools. Pure torture here!

Edited by DrPH2022WI

17 minutes ago, medception said:

Found out I am second on the JHU HSR waitlist. They had over 100 apps to the HSR track alone. Whoever else got accepted please decline! Lol. This seriously complicates my life. I don't really want to go to Minnesota but I will if I have to.

Uh, a bit awkward, but I got told I was also second on their waitlist (and I heard something similar about the stats you mentioned).

17 minutes ago, DrPH2022WI said:

Rooting for you! JHU is my first choice. Waiting til March for DrPH.

Meanwhile, UNMC is supposed to let me know "very soon" if my application is forward to final review and Indiana is late Feb/early March. I have not heard back definitively on any of my 5 schools. Pure torture here!

Good luck to you! Did you interview at Indiana? I can't seem to find information on their process.

1 minute ago, DrPH Hopeful 2022 said:

Good luck to you! Did you interview at Indiana? I can't seem to find information on their process.

Thanks! I did not interview, I cannot see anywhere mentioning any interviews. But I reached out to them earlier this week and was told that is the timeline, but that was all.

4 hours ago, medception said:

4 hours ago, aca105 said:

Uh, a bit awkward, but I got told I was also second on their waitlist (and I heard something similar about the stats you mentioned).

May the odds be ever in your favor.

22 minutes ago, A0315 said:

Looking for any tips or insights on negotiating stipends for PhD programs! Also curious what the typical range of stipends are and if there’s any variation across experience, education, other factors. Thanks so much! 

Not sure if this will help the this site https://www.phdstipends.com/results lists the stipend amount of various schools and programs, maybe you can say “ x school is offering x amount can you match that?”  Worth noting I have no experience negotiating stipends 

Edited by RMSK

43 minutes ago, A0315 said:

Looking for any tips or insights on negotiating stipends for PhD programs! Also curious what the typical range of stipends are and if there’s any variation across experience, education, other factors. Thanks so much! 

So I know there’s a range of stipends (usually with cost of living and private vs. public), but I have no idea if you can negotiate them ?

Brown for example is 34,000ish, but this is set by the graduate school so they can’t really change it unless you get a fellowship on top of that?

First rejection. It stings, but I have to look at it as a good thing. It's the school I went to for my masters program in the state I grew up in, and there was part of me that knew that if faced with a choice to make between that and another program, I might just choose it out of comfort instead of prospects (not that my prospects would be bad with it though...)

It seems as though my attendance there for my masters was part of my downfall-- which I will use also to make me feel more hopeful for the other school because I can assume, if not for attending there for my masters, I would have been accepted (even if that isn't true).

UMich HBHE rejection-- it'll be okay.

I still am waiting to hear from GWU with whom I interviewed, and Hopkins and Brown from whom I have heard nothing.

5 minutes ago, NervousPhDhopeful said:

First rejection. It stings, but I have to look at it as a good thing. It's the school I went to for my masters program in the state I grew up in, and there was part of me that knew that if faced with a choice to make between that and another program, I might just choose it out of comfort instead of prospects (not that my prospects would be bad with it though...)

It seems as though my attendance there for my masters was part of my downfall-- which I will use also to make me feel more hopeful for the other school because I can assume, if not for attending there for my masters, I would have been accepted (even if that isn't true).

UMich HBHE rejection-- it'll be okay.

I still am waiting to hear from GWU with whom I interviewed, and Hopkins and Brown from whom I have heard nothing.

rejection=redirection, friend

29 minutes ago, HOPEFULLPHD2022 said:

does no interview invite mean rejection? I applied to BU environmental health, saw this program already did interviews and sent out some rejection and admission. I reached out to the admission office and they say admission decision will be rendered in March. any idea?

BU is having an admitted student day tomorrow including EH, so I guess all admissions should be sent out by today.

I received a first (unofficial) acceptance email from a PI at UCLA Epi I interviewed with. Was informed that official letters will come in in a month. I hope they do more reviewing cycles during the upcoming month and send out positive news for those still waiting!

Looking back at my applications and ~20 PIs I mentioned, 5 of them I heard back from weren't hiring (limited funding, affiliation with other departments)/on a Sabbatical. It is my bad that I didn't reach out prior to the application, but I feel like luck (something that I am not in control of) plays a huge role in PhD applications. I was on a letting-go phase where I gave up on all applications due to only 1 interview invite and 2 rejections so far (former post of "rejection=redirection" was something I was telling myself..). So I am pleasantly surprised to have found that one person I had a fitting 'situation' with.

I guess what I want to say is an iteration of what others have been saying: so many uncontrollable factors play a role, so don't be easily disheartened..!  I am sure we will be able to connect in one way or another within the field of public health. My deepest respect to fellow future-researchers!

Edited by Ehphd