PhD / DrPh Fall 2022

Thanks, FuturePhDpls, for getting us started.

I am popping myself into this thread to keep up the love and mutual support through this application process. I'm interested (so far) in the JHSPH, Harvard, BU, and GW programs. I'm sure I'll modify that list as time goes on especially with doubtlessly ensuing discussion. 

Powerliftingnerd, I have the same question.

In addition, I want to know how important is/are:

1. BA GPA (as compared to MPH GPA and GRE scores and experience (claro))

2. experience post-graduation. I am just finishing my MPH now, but I worked in public health for over a decade.

Many thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I am geographically confined to California (partner is also doing grad school in SoCal), so I am planning to apply to a few UC's (most likely San Diego, Irvine, LA) and possibly USC. 

Sending positive vibes to everyone applying this cycle - WE GOT THIS!!!! 

Edited by FuturePhDpls

So far, I'll apply to:

JHSPH Social Justice Track

Harvard

BU

We'll see what else I figure out about these programs. I'm more interested in a cohort model.

Billowack, I'll be taking the GRE in September, likely. I took it twice before, and I realized the second time around that I had no more quant skills. So I'll have to dust off my old memories. :)

On 4/8/2021 at 7:53 PM, powerliftingnerd said:

Yes, does anyone have insight on what program offer the best financial support for applicants who are accepted?

I don't have any insight into specific programs and their funding packages, but I do know they greatly vary from school to school. I recommend reaching out to admissions advisors of the schools you are interested in and asking about the typical funding offered to PhD students. 

On 4/13/2021 at 5:42 PM, Mamitis said:

Thanks, FuturePhDpls, for getting us started.

I am popping myself into this thread to keep up the love and mutual support through this application process. I'm interested (so far) in the JHSPH, Harvard, BU, and GW programs. I'm sure I'll modify that list as time goes on especially with doubtlessly ensuing discussion. 

Powerliftingnerd, I have the same question.

In addition, I want to know how important is/are:

1. BA GPA (as compared to MPH GPA and GRE scores and experience (claro))

2. experience post-graduation. I am just finishing my MPH now, but I worked in public health for over a decade.

Many thanks,

Hello! I'll try to help answer these questions based on what I've heard and picked up from looking at previous years' threads! Scores are more like gatekeepers and there is a much higher emphasis on grad GPA and GRE scores. They do look at BA GPA, but not has much as your grad GPA. Additionally, since PhD programs tend to have a more holistic admissions approach, I'm sure any relevant experience (especially public health experience) puts you in a great position since it shows you are dedicated to this field.

Hey all! I am new this this whole platform!

I was wondering how you all picked your choices and determining where you stand with others applying. I have two undergrad degrees (B.S. in Psych and B.A. in Human Development) and currently in my MPH program. I have some work history with government agencies (Will be three years upon getting my MPH). I really based my undergrad choice on financial restraints, and my MPH on how the values of the school lined up with mine. Obviously, a place like Harvard or John Hopkins stand out for prestige but is there value to smaller schools?

Many thanks!

On 2/26/2021 at 4:35 PM, FDawg said:

Updating Tulane info:

- Brown: 36K guaranteed for 5 years, TA required all semesters

- BU: 36k guaranteed for 4 years, no TA required

- Columbia (Mailman): 35k guaranteed for 5 years, TA required for 1 semester

- Emory: >30k stipend for an unknown duration, (TA requirements unknown)

- Harvard: 36k guaranteed for 4 years, TA required for 1 semester (@hopeful2020PhD please correct me)

- JHU (Hopkins): just tuition guaranteed~24k stipend for 4 years but NOT guaranteed, (TA requirements unknown)

- NYU: 25k??? for 5 years but only for 9 months/year, no TA required (@teabunny do you or anyone else remember the exact amount from the NYU interview day?)

- Penn State Uni: 31k for an unknown duration, (TA requirements unknown)

- Tulane: 28k for 4 years through RA-ing with advisor, no TA required, tuition, health insurance, fees guaranteed for 4 years

- UCSF: ~40k guaranteed for 4 years, (TA requirements unknown)

- U Minnesota: 24-25k for unknown duration, (TA requirements unknown)

- U Penn: 34k stipend for an unknown duration, (TA requirements unknown)

- Yale: 38k guaranteed for 5 years, TA required for 2 semesters

In regards to:

On 4/8/2021 at 10:53 PM, powerliftingnerd said:

Yes, does anyone have insight on what program offer the best financial support for applicants who are accepted?

On 5/11/2021 at 11:36 PM, Chihuahua said:

Hey all! I am new this this whole platform!

I was wondering how you all picked your choices and determining where you stand with others applying. I have two undergrad degrees (B.S. in Psych and B.A. in Human Development) and currently in my MPH program. I have some work history with government agencies (Will be three years upon getting my MPH). I really based my undergrad choice on financial restraints, and my MPH on how the values of the school lined up with mine. Obviously, a place like Harvard or John Hopkins stand out for prestige but is there value to smaller schools?

Many thanks!

Hey, Chichuahua!

Are you looking at PhD programs or DrPH programs?

I don't know much about PhD programs, but I do know a bit about DrPH programs. I think the value and values depend on what you are looking for. Many DrPH programs are pretty similar to PhD programs. Is that what you are looking for? Harvard, for example, is not like a PhD program and neither is Johns Hopkins. They are both focused more on leadership and scholarship than research. Harvard has a cohort of 8-10 students, so it's based on forming a tight knit community with a collectivist learning model. Hopkins creates small concentration cohorts, but the program is remote, so the relationship development is largely online. 

It's been ten years since I have been in grad school.  I just found out that John Hopkins offered a part time DRPH program!  While checking the requirements, I noticed it said that the GRE is not required.  Should I still take the GREs or take my chances and apply without it?  Any opinions?

image.png.e075ec7344c0b0376b223a3be2c8e7e8.png

Edited by mouake

On 5/14/2021 at 8:31 AM, Mamitis said:

Hey, Chichuahua!

Are you looking at PhD programs or DrPH programs?

I don't know much about PhD programs, but I do know a bit about DrPH programs. I think the value and values depend on what you are looking for. Many DrPH programs are pretty similar to PhD programs. Is that what you are looking for? Harvard, for example, is not like a PhD program and neither is Johns Hopkins. They are both focused more on leadership and scholarship than research. Harvard has a cohort of 8-10 students, so it's based on forming a tight knit community with a collectivist learning model. Hopkins creates small concentration cohorts, but the program is remote, so the relationship development is largely online. 

Hey Mamitis!

I am looking at DrPH programs. I have been looking mainly at online programs that have concentrations within health policy and online, since I plan to work full time while in school. When comparing schools I think I struggle with determining how to prioritize schools. It seems like most people on Gradcafe apply for John Hopkins but Penn State also has a strong program with the same general structure. Is there something about Harvard and John Hopkins, besides name recognition, that really draws people there?

5 minutes ago, Chihuahua said:

Hey Mamitis!

I am looking at DrPH programs. I have been looking mainly at online programs that have concentrations within health policy and online, since I plan to work full time while in school. When comparing schools I think I struggle with determining how to prioritize schools. It seems like most people on Gradcafe apply for John Hopkins but Penn State also has a strong program with the same general structure. Is there something about Harvard and John Hopkins, besides name recognition, that really draws people there?

Hey! Awesome! 

I think the faculty component can be important. I have a friend who is doing her DrPH at Hopkins, and she has a (literally) world class faculty that she benefits from. I am certainly not saying other schools lack that component, but Hopkins definitely has it. As for Harvard, I think the same is true. I just spoke with a recent grad, and he was pretty stoked about his experience there. Lots of personalized attention. Not sure that helps.

Just now, Mamitis said:

Hey! Awesome! 

I think the faculty component can be important. I have a friend who is doing her DrPH at Hopkins, and she has a (literally) world class faculty that she benefits from. I am certainly not saying other schools lack that component, but Hopkins definitely has it. As for Harvard, I think the same is true. I just spoke with a recent grad, and he was pretty stoked about his experience there. Lots of personalized attention. Not sure that helps.

That is super helpful!! Thank you :)

Does anyone have any advice or insight into the application process. I'm trying to map out a timeline of what I need to do in the next couple of months. So far, I've reached out to professors for letters of rec, but not sure what else I need to do in the mean time... 

On 5/14/2021 at 7:41 PM, mouake said:

It's been ten years since I have been in grad school.  I just found out that John Hopkins offered a part time DRPH program!  While checking the requirements, I noticed it said that the GRE is not required.  Should I still take the GREs or take my chances and apply without it?  Any opinions?

image.png.e075ec7344c0b0376b223a3be2c8e7e8.png

Thank you for posting! I literally checked like a month ago and it still said it was required. I'm not sure if I should do a happy dance or have a meltdown because I've wasted all my free time studying for the past 3 months. ?

Since I've already scheduled and studied I'm going to go through with it, but there's definitely a huge weight off. 

On 5/16/2021 at 9:44 PM, Chihuahua said:

Hey Mamitis!

This is what I'm trying to do as well. Columbia has an program that I'm also interested in, but it requires the first year to be in-person. So for me Hopkins is less about the prestige of the school and more about the process of elimination. 

On 5/18/2021 at 5:40 PM, FuturePhDPls said:

Does anyone have any advice or insight into the application process. I'm trying to map out a timeline of what I need to do in the next couple of months. So far, I've reached out to professors for letters of rec, but not sure what else I need to do in the mean time... 

I didn't think about reaching out so early, I thought we had to wait until the platform opened. Should I plan on doing it sooner??

I've love to hear if any DrPH applicants are planning to reach out to professors whose work you are interested in. I know that's recommended for PhDs, but I'm not sure if it would be helpful for a DrPH application. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just started my MPH at UIC SPH in Public Health Informatics. I already have an MBA from '97 and now over 25+ years of experience. I hope to pursue my DrPH from one of the following schools. I plan to work full time and pursue the DrPH PT remotely, hence the following programs which offer either fully remote or mostly remote programs. Any thoughts? Thanks!

1. JH SPH
  2. UIC SPH
  3. GA Southern CPH
  4. Mercer Dept PH
  5. U of Nebraska CPH
  6. UNC Gillings SGPH
  7. USF CPH

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone is planning on applying to health policy or health services research PhDs? I am currently planning on applying to the following programs.

image.png.d153447127d7e118b17287f270a9d119.png

I am not sure what the background of typical applicants to these programs look like-- I have a B.A. in economics/mathematics and finishing my M.S. in computer science and public policy. I have been working as an RA at the intersection of social science/health for a while so I am hoping that is enough to establish my credibility in my applications.

On 5/26/2021 at 2:22 PM, Billowack said:

This is what I'm trying to do as well. Columbia has an program that I'm also interested in, but it requires the first year to be in-person. So for me Hopkins is less about the prestige of the school and more about the process of elimination. 

I didn't think about reaching out so early, I thought we had to wait until the platform opened. Should I plan on doing it sooner??

I've love to hear if any DrPH applicants are planning to reach out to professors whose work you are interested in. I know that's recommended for PhDs, but I'm not sure if it would be helpful for a DrPH application. 

Hello,

I am applying for DrPH programs and have reached out to a handful of faculty. Most that replied thought I was a good fit for their program and were willing to be my collaborators/supervisors/ advisors. However,  none of them have brought up funding or even asked how I was planning to fund my study. I on the other hand am having difficulty bringing this up with them. Its sort of an African thing ??‍♂️ Any advice on how to approach this without sounding too desperate or obtrusive ?

Also, I was wondering how much traction with the admissions committee a prospective student gains by communicating with a potential advisor.  Anyone please ? 

Edited by DrPHForce

On 7/26/2021 at 3:18 PM, Mr. Jameson said:

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone is planning on applying to health policy or health services research PhDs? I am currently planning on applying to the following programs.

image.png.d153447127d7e118b17287f270a9d119.png

I am not sure what the background of typical applicants to these programs look like-- I have a B.A. in economics/mathematics and finishing my M.S. in computer science and public policy. I have been working as an RA at the intersection of social science/health for a while so I am hoping that is enough to establish my credibility in my applications.

I'm also applying health policy/HSR - average applicant is probably a tough thing to pin down, as lot of entry points make sense for health policy (e.g. health dept/government experience, econ, public policy/poli sci, public health). I think it's incredibly dependent on how you frame yourself in fit, in addition to whatever accomplishments/references you bring to the table. From my conversations with folks who actually make the decisions where I went to school (top 20 SPH), people on here really underestimate the role of fit and the faculty who will/won't champion your application in internal deliberations. Experiences really don't matter unless you can coherently speak to someone discussing why they matter.