PhD / DrPh Fall 2022

On 10/28/2021 at 9:36 PM, GoingGlobal said:

Finishing up essays for first round of application deadlines. Anyone else applying to South Florida or Joint Doctoral at SDSU/UCSD?

I am applying to both of those--definitely struggling with their earlier deadlines + keeping sophas verification time in mind haha

On 10/28/2021 at 10:25 PM, GoingGlobal said:

@FuturePhDPls is it me or is this three application process really annoying and very exclusive to only those that can afford it?

The three application/three fee process is WILD--honestly, I didn't realize the third one until recently and if I had earlier on (and hadn't already had recommenders submit letters to UCSD [again, why should they have to submit twice??]) then I probably wouldn't apply due to THREE fees. 

Hey Everyone! I just finished applying to 5 DrPH programs and I’m curious if anybody else is vying for a spot too:

Harvard University’s DrPH

Columbia University’s SMS DrPH

JHSPH Customized Track DrPH 

Boston University’s Leadership, Management and Policy DrPH

George Washington University’s DrPH

Any thoughts on how competitive of an applicant I would be?

Focus: Community Health, Child & Adolescent Health, and Health Policy

Experience: 7 years of Public Health experience (3 as a Program Coordinator for a community center, 3 years as a senior medical assistant for a major hospital, 1 year as a community health grassroots organizer / legislative intern, and currently a youth organizer for public health initiatives) 

Schooling: 4.0 GPA from MPH in a top Public Health School

Awards/Honors: Delta Omega Public Health Honors Society, Award for Outstanding MPH Capstone, Student Council Award for Public Health Contributions to MPH

LoRs: Practicum Preceptor Professor/Health Commissioner, Capstone Preceptor Professor, & Legislator

Best of luck everyone!

Also, if anyone knows of ways to get funding for these programs please hmu!

On 5/12/2021 at 9:39 PM, hopeful2020PhD said:

In regards to:

Amount only doesn't tell the whole story but overall living expenses in the respective city//community/area/state does in terms of generous financial support. However, if you're inclined towards a particular a school/city/state then it is whole lot different argument. Any discussion on "School Financial support Vs Living expenses affordability index" of the states/city/area?!?

On 11/4/2021 at 4:38 PM, DrPH Dan said:

Hey Everyone! I just finished applying to 5 DrPH programs and I’m curious if anybody else is vying for a spot too:

Harvard University’s DrPH

Columbia University’s SMS DrPH

JHSPH Customized Track DrPH 

Boston University’s Leadership, Management and Policy DrPH

George Washington University’s DrPH

Any thoughts on how competitive of an applicant I would be?

Focus: Community Health, Child & Adolescent Health, and Health Policy

Experience: 7 years of Public Health experience (3 as a Program Coordinator for a community center, 3 years as a senior medical assistant for a major hospital, 1 year as a community health grassroots organizer / legislative intern, and currently a youth organizer for public health initiatives) 

Schooling: 4.0 GPA from MPH in a top Public Health School

Awards/Honors: Delta Omega Public Health Honors Society, Award for Outstanding MPH Capstone, Student Council Award for Public Health Contributions to MPH

LoRs: Practicum Preceptor Professor/Health Commissioner, Capstone Preceptor Professor, & Legislator

Best of luck everyone!

Also, if anyone knows of ways to get funding for these programs please hmu!

I'm also applying to Hopkins' (Health Equity and Social Justice) and GWU's DrPH programs!

Focus: Transgender Health, HIV Prevention, Mental Health

Experience: 4 years post-grad (1 year as a consultant, 3 years at a funding agency)

Schooling: 3.95 GPA in a top MPH program

This is my second year applying to Hopkins, but first time to GWU. Crossing my fingers for a more fruitful cycle! And best of luck to you all!

After going through and double checking, I have decided to drop South Florida's application. I couldn't find any faculty to answer my questions and was seriously having issues finding a faculty match because of this. I am unsure if they update their website routinely as well. I am only applying to SDSU/UCSD for the November 15 deadline and the other schools on my list by December 1. 

On 10/20/2021 at 7:46 AM, EnviroEpi2022 said:

Hey prospective applicants!! This is my 3rd round applying, :o. I have gotten into a few programs, but decided to hold out and go all in on my dream program. Anyone else applying to Brown U?

Hi! I am applying to Brown's PhD in Social and Behavioral Science. I looked at faculty accepting students for next year and the faculty I want to work with isn't listed which made me really sad. I have a meeting next week with the Brown faculty I potentially want to work with. Anyways, I am shooting my shot. 

Submitting Miami, Tulane, Emory, Hopkins, and Harvard this week. That's basically it for me. Next up are pre-doc and global health fellowship apps. I wish everyone luck in this cycle! It seems that a lot of people want to get into public health because of the pandemic now. I am awaiting my Fulbright decisions which come out in January. I am so anxious but ready for my semester to be done. The waiting game begins literally like next week!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Epi2022hopeful said:

Hi Everyone! Does anyone know how strict programs are with recommendations letters? One of my recommenders hasn’t submitted his letter despite many reminders. I am starting to panic about my application being incomplete now.

I think the best way to deal with this is contact the admission office of the school. I have same problem, and GWU told me that they can wait until 12/14.

Best wishes

On 12/1/2021 at 1:09 PM, Epi2022hopeful said:

Hi Everyone! Does anyone know how strict programs are with recommendations letters? One of my recommenders hasn’t submitted his letter despite many reminders. I am starting to panic about my application being incomplete now.

Oh no!! I am so sorry to hear that. I think some programs might be understanding. I would email the admissions of the programs you applied to. Do you have someone else in mind who can send an LOR soon?

1 hour ago, PH2022FALL said:

I wonder normally when schools start to send out interview invitations? Also, does anyone get reached out by faculty for an informal interview?

I think some programs have "prospective students days" that also double as informal interviews. I've also seen in previous years' threads that some people had phone/Skype calls with their POI. Looks like this usually happens mid to end of Jan for most schools.

Edited by FuturePhDPls

11 hours ago, FuturePhDPls said:

I think some programs have "prospective students days" that also double as informal interviews. I've also seen in previous years' threads that some people had phone/Skype calls with their POI. Looks like this usually happens mid to end of Jan for most schools.

Thanks very much! My friend got approached by POIs at two schools and had an interview with them yesterday. It looks like faculty has started the review process but perhaps the majority of us won't hear back from them until Jan.

12 hours ago, PH2022FALL said:

Thanks very much! My friend got approached by POIs at two schools and had an interview with them yesterday. It looks like faculty has started the review process but perhaps the majority of us won't hear back from them until Jan.

wow, and was that with the Dec 1st deadline? What a quick turn-around!! Fingers crossed other programs try to do the same.

12 hours ago, FuturePhDPls said:

wow, and was that with the Dec 1st deadline? What a quick turn-around!! Fingers crossed other programs try to do the same.

The deadlines are 15th Dec and 15th Jan. So this really surprised me because faculty already started looking for potential candidates for interviews even though the deadlines are not met. 

I'm just so sensitive to emails and updates from grad cafe nowadays. The waiting game is exciting yet nervous. 

12 hours ago, PH2022FALL said:

The deadlines are 15th Dec and 15th Jan. So this really surprised me because faculty already started looking for potential candidates for interviews even though the deadlines are not met. 

I'm just so sensitive to emails and updates from grad cafe nowadays. The waiting game is exciting yet nervous. 

wow, okay! here's to hoping we all get good news asap :')