PhD / DrPh Fall 2022

Today I received an email about being granted the Presidential Graduate Research Fellowship from SDSU/UCSD's JDP. This covers out of state tuition for the program. Just waiting on official acceptance letter. Heard from director a few weeks back about them looking for funding for me. I think tomorrow I should get the letter in my email. Also was selected as an Alternate for a Fulbright grant to obtain a doctoral degree abroad. Tough decision but the Fulbright program hasn't given me a definite decision (Yes/No) so it's looking like SDSU/UCSD for me!

Edited by GoingGlobal

21 hours ago, DrPHPlans said:

CONGRATULATIONS!! I've been rooting for you! I have a colleague who has a pretty high up position at the CDC who recently finished her DrPH through UIC. It's a great program. 

Thanks!  Did you decide which program you are joining (I've been travelling for work so haven't been on here in a minute)? Glad to hear positive feedback about the program and that their alumni are successful. My employer informed me that since I am going with UIC's DrPH, they are putting me in their leadership track. (I work the philanthropic side of pharma doing global public health - I know, that seems like an oxymoron)

1 hour ago, BossMomDrPH said:

Thanks!  Did you decide which program you are joining (I've been travelling for work so haven't been on here in a minute)? Glad to hear positive feedback about the program and that their alumni are successful. My employer informed me that since I am going with UIC's DrPH, they are putting me in their leadership track. (I work the philanthropic side of pharma doing global public health - I know, that seems like an oxymoron)

Oooohh that's fantastic! I'm currently looking for a new position and have considered jumping over to pharma from non-profit (I do public health in blood disorders). I totally see how there are philanthropic sides sometimes. I have a lot of friends in pharma and have spoken with them a lot lately. I'm nearly positive I have something worked out at the moment but this experience has really shown me how important our networks are. Wanna connect on LinkedIn? I've always liked chatting with you ?. (no offense at all if you don't, but if you do, I think you can find me here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kate-colbath-66b20711b/)

I accepted at Rutgers. I really wanted to see if I'd get into UIC just out of curiosity. I asked them last week and they said I was a finalist for an interview but since I was already decided on Rutgers, I really didn't feel like putting in the effort. It's been a few tough weeks with work. They both have good leadership programs and I liked that. Honestly, I liked that Rutgers requires more campus visits and as a mom with 2 young kids... I don't mind getting away for 2-3 days here and there! ?  UIC didn't seem to require as many, although I used to live in Chicago and always love an opportunity to go there.  If I remember correctly you're in NJ, so maybe this will give you that opportunity to get out of town here and there. 

6 hours ago, DrPHPlans said:

Oooohh that's fantastic! I'm currently looking for a new position and have considered jumping over to pharma from non-profit (I do public health in blood disorders). I totally see how there are philanthropic sides sometimes. I have a lot of friends in pharma and have spoken with them a lot lately. I'm nearly positive I have something worked out at the moment but this experience has really shown me how important our networks are. Wanna connect on LinkedIn? I've always liked chatting with you ?. (no offense at all if you don't, but if you do, I think you can find me here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kate-colbath-66b20711b/)

I accepted at Rutgers. I really wanted to see if I'd get into UIC just out of curiosity. I asked them last week and they said I was a finalist for an interview but since I was already decided on Rutgers, I really didn't feel like putting in the effort. It's been a few tough weeks with work. They both have good leadership programs and I liked that. Honestly, I liked that Rutgers requires more campus visits and as a mom with 2 young kids... I don't mind getting away for 2-3 days here and there! ?  UIC didn't seem to require as many, although I used to live in Chicago and always love an opportunity to go there.  If I remember correctly you're in NJ, so maybe this will give you that opportunity to get out of town here and there. 

Awesome!!!  Rutgers is a solid choice, for sure.  Yes, I'm in NJ and also like the idea of escaping from three (!) young kids every so often, hence why I chose UIC (I do get to travel here and there for work, so I get a little respite). I've actually never been to Chicago, oddly. I am hoping the weather is alright in August. 

Good call on LinkedIn!  We should definitely get connected, I'm terrible at actually using it. (www.linkedin.com/in/ellenindoe-mches) I'd love to hear about what kind of opportunity you are exploring. I'm in behavior science, so we are fortunate to work across a number of disciplines, which I really enjoy. I tend to find myself working with obscure diseases (e.g., Ebola). Don't be scared of 'contract' positions, that seems to be a way of identifying talent.  Let's connect offline- I doubt anyone here wants to hear our 'life stories'. ?

Short-notice question! I have an interview tomorrow at 10am with LLU. Only interview I got so do not want to mess it up. Is it better to narrow down and specify one specific area I would want to research or list a few options? I do not want to see uncertain with a topic but do not want to say one and it not be a great option for the faculty available and miss out either. Any help is greatly appreciatted.

10 hours ago, DrPH2022WI said:

Short-notice question! I have an interview tomorrow at 10am with LLU. Only interview I got so do not want to mess it up. Is it better to narrow down and specify one specific area I would want to research or list a few options? I do not want to see uncertain with a topic but do not want to say one and it not be a great option for the faculty available and miss out either. Any help is greatly appreciatted.

You’ve only got 15 minutes. So keep your answers concise. Look back at your SOP. what did you say you wanted to study there?  Stay consistent. Are you looking at advancing the foundation of health education or policy? Is there a particular therapeutic area of interest you wrote about? Also be prepare to answer questions about your thoughts on attending a program rooted in a faith-based framework. LOOK AT THE COURSES FOR YOUR PROGRAM OF CHOICE. They asked about what courses I felt I would gain the most learning from. Luckily I was able to highlight a few courses by name. Also be prepared to give a minute elevator pitch about why LLU is a good fit mutually. 

Best of luck!  Rooting for you!!!!

11 hours ago, BossMomDrPH said:

You’ve only got 15 minutes. So keep your answers concise. Look back at your SOP. what did you say you wanted to study there?  Stay consistent. Are you looking at advancing the foundation of health education or policy? Is there a particular therapeutic area of interest you wrote about? Also be prepare to answer questions about your thoughts on attending a program rooted in a faith-based framework. LOOK AT THE COURSES FOR YOUR PROGRAM OF CHOICE. They asked about what courses I felt I would gain the most learning from. Luckily I was able to highlight a few courses by name. Also be prepared to give a minute elevator pitch about why LLU is a good fit mutually. 

Best of luck!  Rooting for you!!!!

Thank you so much for the insight! Fell that the interview went well. And hope to hear within the next 2 weeks.

Hello all, this year I am graduating from my undergrad and will be starting my MPH (in Canada). I'm currently trying to choose a school, some programs have a thesis option and some just have a practicum project. In terms of obtaining a PhD/DrPh is there a strong advantage to completing a thesis. I currently have about 3 years of RA experience and am just finishing my undergrad thesis. 

I know it is after the commitment deadline (and I ended up committing to a program) but I never ended up hearing from USC's PhD epi program at all. I am a little peeved that I worked on that application, and never heard an acknowledgment or rejection from them at all. Did this happen to anyone at all?

8 hours ago, EpiHopeful22 said:

I know it is after the commitment deadline (and I ended up committing to a program) but I never ended up hearing from USC's PhD epi program at all. I am a little peeved that I worked on that application, and never heard an acknowledgment or rejection from them at all. Did this happen to anyone at all?

I applied to JHU's PhD mental health program and was told that I was next on the waiting list. I have not heard back either. ?

• 4 weeks later...