PhD / DrPh Fall 2022

2 hours ago, PH2022FALL said:

I wonder if anyone heard back from any schools?

Have not heard anything yet, but I saw some people have started hearing back from other schools/departments (biomedical, specifically). Despite having the same Dec 1 deadline, I feel like PH sends out their interviews/acceptances much later than other fields.  

I just got an email from a professor at USC (health behavior track) letting me know that the review committee has shared my application with them. They are asking to meet after the holidays to discuss my research interest! Not sure if USC has interviews, or if this even counts as an informal one, but now we know programs are starting to look / share applications?!

17 minutes ago, FuturePhDPls said:

I just got an email from a professor at USC (health behavior track) letting me know that the review committee has shared my application with them. They are asking to meet after the holidays to discuss my research interest! Not sure if USC has interviews, or if this even counts as an informal one, but now we know programs are starting to look / share applications?!

Congratulations! I think it’s an informal interview. Either way it’s a very good sign! 

On 12/13/2021 at 10:48 PM, PH2022FALL said:

WOW!! Congratulations!! This thread marks the beginning of the interview season! 

May I ask which track did you apply?

Thank you! It was epi.

I had it yesterday and it went ehhhh due to technical issues but I think they appreciated that I mustered through, but the issues led to a frazzled brain so I'm not sure I was as specific or eloquent as I could have been.

In case anyone's interested, questions asked were pretty standard, why PhD, why public health, why epi, why USF. Then, describe strengths, weaknesses, as they pertain to PhD work. Also, how do I address setbacks.

Good luck everyone!

9 minutes ago, KBPsych said:

Do you all think that publications matter? I do not have any publications but I do have a manuscript that will be soon sent to publication.

I'm in the exact same position as you, but it doesn't seem to be a deal breaker! I've asked many professors point-blank if not having publications will hurt my chances, and while I've gotten a few mixed responses, it seems like the majority of programs are very much comprehensive and take everything into consideration. 

2 minutes ago, FuturePhDPls said:

I'm in the exact same position as you, but it doesn't seem to be a deal breaker! I've asked many professors point-blank if not having publications will hurt my chances, and while I've gotten a few mixed responses, it seems like the majority of programs are very much comprehensive and take everything into consideration. 

I thought so I’m just worried because it’s been radio silence so far in my emails lol! Hopefully we begin to hear back!

3 minutes ago, KBPsych said:

I thought so I’m just worried because it’s been radio silence so far in my emails lol! Hopefully we begin to hear back!

I don't know for sure, but I feel like I have a mix of friends over the years who have started a PhD in public health fields with 0 papers, or 1 or 2 on the way, and then also some who have a ton because they've been working a bit. I've also heard of folks/had colleagues getting rejected previously with a ton of pubs and also those without. So, as FuturePhDPls said, I think it just depends on fit and they try to be comprehensive? but this is all me guessing. Having one pub in the works is a great thing to bring up again in interviews 

17 minutes ago, KBPsych said:

I think we're still super super early! I have to admit I've spent an obscene amount of time going through previous years' threads, and it looks like most programs will start interviews/notifying applications of their admissions statuses after the holiday. Looks like most are mid Jan to be specific! Hang in there! :)

12 hours ago, studyepi said:

Also, just noticed someone submitted a Hopkins epi rejection to the gradcafe survey. They're so quick to review! Wild. A bit nervous now...going to try and get back to work and stop checking my email, maybe. 

Could you tell me where to find this survey? Thanks in advance!

16 minutes ago, epi_queeen said:

Could you tell me where to find this survey? Thanks in advance!

No problem! It's under the "Results" tab in the website navigation bar at the top of the page. the link is: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/

I usually filter by "public health" or "epidemiology"; not too many new phd entries right now but a few

On 12/16/2021 at 1:59 AM, FuturePhDPls said:

I think we're still super super early! I have to admit I've spent an obscene amount of time going through previous years' threads, and it looks like most programs will start interviews/notifying applications of their admissions statuses after the holiday. Looks like most are mid Jan to be specific! Hang in there! :)

Yea is it the case that the U.S universities already started their holidays? 

On 12/17/2021 at 11:10 AM, hero838019 said:

I am not sure if it is appropriate to raise the question here about the pharmacoepi program. Does anyone heard back from any schools? Also, are there any threads discussing about pharmacoepi this year?

I had some friends applying for pharmacoepi programs and it looks like it's still radio silence. I guess this thread is the major active thread for public health programs.

Tbh I'd recommend everyone just chill out over the holidays and not look through their inboxes for follow-ups to apps. Most programs are not going to steamroll interview invites out right before the holidays (given grading and other admin tasks) - programs that do send out invites should be viewed largely as outliers.

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy, and I'm sure more news will be available starting in the new year following the holidays.

On 12/17/2021 at 4:10 AM, hero838019 said:

I am not sure if it is appropriate to raise the question here about the pharmacoepi program. Does anyone heard back from any schools? Also, are there any threads discussing about pharmacoepi this year?

Hi Hero

pharmacoepi applicant here. I applied to UFlorida, Harvard, UNC (epi and pharm), UWashington, and UKentucky. No update from any of them yet.