2022 Application Thread

dr. t

58 minutes ago, MikhailM said:

Not a South Asianist, but definitely don't think that 'no interview = rejection' - it depends on the place and department that you applied to. Some places won't interview (in my experience Brown), while some do (in my experience Yale).

Thanks so much! I haven't received any interview calls at all and it is getting nerve-wrecking. Just one wait list and one rejection this far. 

14 minutes ago, teaANDanxiety said:

Thanks so much! I haven't received any interview calls at all and it is getting nerve-wrecking. Just one wait list and one rejection this far. 

Hey where did you get waitlisted from? I am also working in the same field and area. 

Has anyone heard positive news from Columbia? Even unofficial ones? I had a good chat with a POI in September (I’m an early modernist) and I’m wondering if any early modernists have heard about decisions yet. Also, anyone have anything good from UChicago? Has everyone who’s been admitted been informed by their POI? Should I assume a reject if I haven’t heard? 

6 minutes ago, Maguire said:

Yes - wondering if anyone knows anymore about the Princeton admits as it is a bit early for them?

I do not if it's an official email or email from the PoI but at least one international acceptance has been sent. Possibly South Asianist. 

6 hours ago, MikhailM said:

Hey - also a first-time user here. Just piping up to say that I also had a Yale interview in January, in the second week, with three professors for African History. They also mentioned that only 1 or 2 people are admitted for this field. Haven't heard anything back so far - have you? Best of luck to you!

Hi! Unfortunately, no news on my end yet...but the interview didn't go very smoothly for me, so who knows. I have been hoping to hear something this week bc they suggested late January, early February as when they'd be in touch. Fingers crossed, best of luck to you too.  

36 minutes ago, Kashew_Nuts93 said:

Has anyone heard positive news from Columbia? Even unofficial ones? I had a good chat with a POI in September (I’m an early modernist) and I’m wondering if any early modernists have heard about decisions yet. Also, anyone have anything good from UChicago? Has everyone who’s been admitted been informed by their POI? Should I assume a reject if I haven’t heard? 

I had a very cryptic email from POI at Columbia last week, basically saying she is hopeful for me but that the admissions committee hadn't made final decisions. She asked me not to make any other decisions until hearing from them (not that I have any to make rn lol), which she said she hoped would be soon - no concrete date though, I'm sorry. 

15 minutes ago, saintesprit said:

I had a very cryptic email from POI at Columbia last week, basically saying she is hopeful for me but that the admissions committee hadn't made final decisions. She asked me not to make any other decisions until hearing from them (not that I have any to make rn lol), which she said she hoped would be soon - no concrete date though, I'm sorry. 

Ah congratulations that’s great! May I ask, what’s your field? 

Sorry to all those who received rejections from Berkeley. @BalkanItinerant, I totally get how the lead up (interview, finalist etc) makes the disappointment worse. I was among those who somehow got in, but I'm sitting here devastated I didn't get into my top choice and feeling the sting of that. The grass is always greener, I suppose... 

Best wishes to everyone waiting and/or making decisions right now. 

6 hours ago, teaANDanxiety said:

Hello. Posting for the first time but this group has been a big source of support for a long time. Wanted to ask if there are any South Asianists and if they have heard anything. Also, if one hasn't been interviewed, does it mean a definite rejection? 

Hi, I'm a South Asianist as well. Haven't heard anything besides the one rejection from UCB.

17 minutes ago, cafe0294 said:

Has anyone heard from PhD History Harvard? I don't know if there were interviews this year and if they have sent emails about recommending admissions of applicants already. 

I’ve been wondering the same! It doesn’t seem like they usually interview everyone but I haven’t heard anything from them either. 

12 hours ago, Trail_Blazer said:

I have a question for those who went through the Penn interview: Did you hear anything about when do they plan to make/disclose their decisions? 

I wanted to ask in the interview about the evaluating process but ran out of time and couldn't do so. 

I just had my interview with Penn today, and they told me that the decisions will come out in a few weeks.

12 hours ago, Trail_Blazer said:

Hi! First-time writer here, haha.

I have a question for those who went through the Penn interview: Did you hear anything about when do they plan to make/disclose their decisions? 

I wanted to ask in the interview about the evaluating process but ran out of time and couldn't do so. 

Thanks in advance!

I am in exactly the same boat. POI sent an email saying that faculty will meet at some point this week to finalize at least a handful of candidates in some fields of study. Hopefully we'll hear back soon!

"First application round for me... how do you deal with the rejection/how many seasons have you experienced? It's way harder than I thought it would be."

Last year was my first season. I applied to 7 universities and was rejected by all of them.
This time I tried 4 schools and I already received a no from two.
Obviously being rejected isn't the best feeling there is, but I like to think that if I can't get a PhD, the world is very big and there's a lot of cool stuff to do. So I'm just going to look for other ways.
I wish you good luck.

(I put the text in quotes because the citation system gave an error)

Edited by TheGradCocaCola
quote missing

@tyg91 last year was my first season I applied to four schools and was interviewed by one and waitlisted at one. It was hard to receive the rejections in the end. I gave myself a break for a few months and didn’t think about academia at all!  Started to make a longer list of schools and POI in June and applied to way more schools this year with better results. Hang in there! 

Edited by fiddleleaf31