2022 Application Thread

dr. t

4 hours ago, automatic_peas said:

Has anyone heard anything from Harvard? I think acceptances came out around this time last year, if I remember correctly. 

A Professor told me that the department has made their recommendations to GSAS, who - as far as he knows -will finalize admissions/do official offers on or around Feb. 7th! 

13 minutes ago, saintesprit said:

A Professor told me that the department has made their recommendations to GSAS, who - as far as he knows -will finalize admissions/do official offers on or around Feb. 7th! 

Do you know if this is the case for their HoS department as well? It seems hit or miss on whether departments follow the same or a whole different timeline.

50 minutes ago, automatic_peas said:

Amazing, thanks for the info! I wonder if POIs are informing earlier? 

I feel silly but I don't really know what a POI is haha! But for more context: I got an email yesterday from a Prof I'd been in touch with and he gave me "tentatively good news" re acceptance but warned me it is still not concrete until GSAS approves their recommended candidates on Feb.7th. I hope that helps!

1 hour ago, saintesprit said:

I feel silly but I don't really know what a POI is haha! But for more context: I got an email yesterday from a Prof I'd been in touch with and he gave me "tentatively good news" re acceptance but warned me it is still not concrete until GSAS approves their recommended candidates on Feb.7th. I hope that helps!

Wow congrats!!! What an achievement! Did they say whether they are accepting more than 6 students this year? Also POI = person of interest, which usually means your potential supervisor. Did you have an interview/much correspondence before they emailed you yesterday? 

15 hours ago, flowersandcoffee said:

Wow congrats!!! What an achievement! Did they say whether they are accepting more than 6 students this year? Also POI = person of interest, which usually means your potential supervisor. Did you have an interview/much correspondence before they emailed you yesterday? 

Thank you, trying not to get too invested in case something happens with GSAS (I don't know how common that is?)! No, they didn't give any details re cohort size unfortunately...and no interview, but we had spoken on the phone in November about my application and I also spoke with one of his current students. But that was it! 

22 hours ago, wynntir said:

Do you know if this is the case for their HoS department as well? It seems hit or miss on whether departments follow the same or a whole different timeline.

HoS follows a different timeline if my memory serves.

Congrats to everyone on making it through January. Next week is the start of a wild ride what with it being the first week of February. Could see a number of big announcements next week and the following so I suggest everyone rest up if you can this weekend!  

On 1/27/2022 at 4:27 PM, automatic_peas said:

Amazing, thanks for the info! I wonder if POIs are informing earlier? 

They usually do, since GSAS is basically a rubber stamp.

I haven’t seen any emails from Northwestern yet—last year they sent emails to tell applicants that decisions had been reached.

Last year, they were sent out on the 30th around noon eastern (I know because I still have the email—don’t ask me why I kept all of these rejection notices, but I did).

I’d keep a loose eye on your inbox and try not to panic too much? It looks like the latest they came out in the past few years, looking at the results lists, was the end of the first week of February—which would be by the end of this week anyway.

Wishing everyone good luck with what may (or may not) be a "hot week" for decisions. For those of us also chipping away at MA or undergrad theses, sending extra positive energy that this stressful process does not get in the way of our current projects. Personally, I've had very little in the way of news/communication from 6 of my 7 schools up to this point, but it's not over until it's over. :) We got this!

Would it be overkill to email my poi from NYU? I did an interview with them, and I haven't heard anything back but I know that some people have been accepted. 

edit -- I know it's overkill lol. You just would think that they'd send a nice little "sorry, but next time" email especially after telling me that I was on the shortlist for acceptance. ?

Edited by charmsprof