2022 Application Thread

dr. t

51 minutes ago, jebbush2k20 said:

Is there a sense that Penn interviews *are* more of a formality, or something more substantive? Trying to figure out how excited to be as they are one of my very top choices :)

I'm not sure - maybe @TexasTiger knows more as I am not one of the Penn people! Good luck!

Edited by Maguire

My answer to 

4 hours ago, jebbush2k20 said:

Is there a sense that Penn interviews *are* more of a formality, or something more substantive? Trying to figure out how excited to be as they are one of my very top choices :)

My answer is  pretty much a "no clue." I heard from one person It might be a sign we are basically in and from another person that the last 10 minutes of their interview were in a non-english language (but they were not applying as a Latin Americanist or as an Americanist) so really I have no clue.

5 hours ago, jebbush2k20 said:

I was told by a prof that Penn interviews a short list of candidates to figure out who to admit. I don’t know how large that short list is, but I have to imagine less than half (or even 1/4) of those interviewed get in. 

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

My answer to 

My answer is  pretty much a "no clue." I heard from one person It might be a sign we are basically in and from another person that the last 10 minutes of their interview were in a non-english language (but they were not applying as a Latin Americanist or as an Americanist) so really I have no clue.

Hey there, I also have an interview (African/Middle Eastern History). Reached out to a former student who said it's less a formality and more an opportunity for FOI to gauge how serious/good of a fit a particular candidate is. No word on the ratio of  interviews to acceptances tho. 

Quick question, how recent might that interview have been and did they say which language/field they work in?

7 minutes ago, CoffeeCatsCorgis said:

Question for folks with Penn interviews: Did you Zoom w. FOI prior to your interview? Soooo curious if this means I didn't make the short list!

I did not. I have not spoken to any faculty at all, which is what my most trusted recommender told me to do. ??‍♀️ That seems to be the opposite of the thread in this forum lol. 

5 minutes ago, jebbush2k20 said:

I did not. I have not spoken to any faculty at all, which is what my most trusted recommender told me to do. ??‍♀️ That seems to be the opposite of the thread in this forum lol. 

Thanks for letting me know. I zoomed extensively with my POI and I'm fervently praying that means I may still have a shot. Or maybe Europeanists get later interviews? Gotta love the wait. ?

30 minutes ago, CoffeeCatsCorgis said:

Thanks for letting me know. I zoomed extensively with my POI and I'm fervently praying that means I may still have a shot. Or maybe Europeanists get later interviews? Gotta love the wait. ?

I'm hoping this is the case with me and Emory. I actually visited campus and met my POIs and talked to them for about 30-35 mins each about fit and they seemed to think I was a pretty good fit so I'm hoping I don't have to be interviewed but who knows. The waiting is always the hardest part lol

10 minutes ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

I'm hoping this is the case with me and Emory. I actually visited campus and met my POIs and talked to them for about 30-35 mins each about fit and they seemed to think I was a pretty good fit so I'm hoping I don't have to be interviewed but who knows. The waiting is always the hardest part lol

Relieved to hear that someone is going through the same thing/with the same thought process! It's not over til it's over, as they say :) Rooting for you and Emory.

2 hours ago, CoffeeCatsCorgis said:

Question for folks with Penn interviews: Did you Zoom w. FOI prior to your interview? Soooo curious if this means I didn't make the short list!

No, I didn’t, either at Penn or at Berkeley (I am one of the lucky admits there). I think talking to POIs/FOIs can help if it’s down to you vs a few other similar candidates, and if you made a very strong impression in those convos. According to my advisors, more important is a significant subset of the faculty reading your application and thinking you’d be a good match for the department’s strengths (that they both have the expertise to guide you, and that you could add value to their intellectual community as well).

Edited by Mile6

Re: UWM - I got a really good feeling about the people in the program, but I’ve got some pretty grave concerns about the funding situation.  Still, after my wholly unsuccessful season last year, getting in feels amazing and I’m hopeful.

I’m still waiting to hear on the funding piece, and from my other apps, because in between applying and getting accepted, I had a major shift in my career (to the point where I’m now making twice what I was making at the time I applied for PhD programs—I literally got all of my apps in and then got the job offer), so there is a lot more at stake for me now.  Luckily, I’m single and have the backing of my family, so all I have to worry about is myself and two cats.

Very exciting time and good news (if slightly stressful news!) coming when we needed some.

What’s your field?

16 minutes ago, TagRendar said:

Re: UWM - I got a really good feeling about the people in the program, but I’ve got some pretty grave concerns about the funding situation.  Still, after my wholly unsuccessful season last year, getting in feels amazing and I’m hopeful.

I’m still waiting to hear on the funding piece, and from my other apps, because in between applying and getting accepted, I had a major shift in my career (to the point where I’m now making twice what I was making at the time I applied for PhD programs—I literally got all of my apps in and then got the job offer), so there is a lot more at stake for me now.  Luckily, I’m single and have the backing of my family, so all I have to worry about is myself and two cats.

Very exciting time and good news (if slightly stressful news!) coming when we needed some.

What’s your field?

I'm in modern Europe. Information online points me in the same direction re: funding unfortunately. I also applied to all the other schools in your signature (among others), so let's hope we both get good news from them soon :) 

Edited by jpc34

3 minutes ago, flowersandcoffee said:

So just to clarify, no one is claiming a Berkeley admit for Modern European History?? 

Also, has anyone received a Yale interview? Last cycle I was invited late December, so I wonder if they are super behind this year, or if I am just unsuccessful 

I didn't apply through History at Yale this year, so I don't have any personal insight, but it looked like someone was invited to interview January 11 based on the results page.