Multiple Gap Years

Hi, I know this is a question that's difficult to answer, but does anyone have any perspectives on taking multiple gap years after undergrad to apply to clinical psych programs? How many gap years did you take, and do you think you made the right decision?

I work in a lab in undergrad that is relevant to my research interests and I think they may offer me a paid position after graduation next year. Only thing is it would be a 2 year commitment, and I'm so eager to apply to grad school and go straight through. I know the position would help my chances immensely, but I can't help but feel like I'd be delaying my long-term goals by taking time off. Can anyone offer any advice or personal perspective? Thank you so much!

Agreed with @PsyDuck90. I think 2+ years is fine, and increasingly more common. As someone who actually came straight from undergrad to my PhD program, if I could do it over I would have taken at least 2 years to work as an RA or CRC. It is all fine for me now, but I think gaining more exposure to the ins and outs of research that you rarely can receive as an undergraduate research essential would have made my transition smoother to developing my own independent research interests. This is really critical in setting you apart from the pack since a lot of people can easily be "clones" of their research mentor, which creates a whole host of problems when applying for your own grants or jobs in the future. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2021 at 10:28 PM, humblepineapple said:

Hi, I know this is a question that's difficult to answer, but does anyone have any perspectives on taking multiple gap years after undergrad to apply to clinical psych programs? How many gap years did you take, and do you think you made the right decision?

I work in a lab in undergrad that is relevant to my research interests and I think they may offer me a paid position after graduation next year. Only thing is it would be a 2 year commitment, and I'm so eager to apply to grad school and go straight through. I know the position would help my chances immensely, but I can't help but feel like I'd be delaying my long-term goals by taking time off. Can anyone offer any advice or personal perspective? Thank you so much!

I graduated with my 1st BS (Applied Psych) around age 34, 2nd BS age 38 (Health Science), started clin psych PhD at 42. I think getting a 2 year placement would be great before grad school. If you can supplement with some clinical work and develop yourself with outside interests, reading a wide variety of topics outside of psychology, the chance of you really standing out as an applicant is good.

• 3 weeks later...

I took 3 years off between undergrad and grad school. Best decision I ever made. In addition to what others have said about developing skills and network etc., I was also really happy because I worked in a fun city, spent time with friends/family and traveled! I am now 24 headed into a program this fall and I am pleased with my decision!