Counselling Psychology Applicants 2022 CANADA

cofffeee

35 minutes ago, imfeeling2022 said:

Let me know if anyone hears from McMaster today or tomorrow or something - I did not get an email yesterday and I'm feeling like this could be an assumed rejection or they're just sending emails in bunches. Anxiety on high lol :) 

I feel the exact same way! Had a cute little breakdown over it yesterday too. I did email Susan this morning to double check when they would be sending out offers, and all she said was "We expect to make our decision and send out offers by the end of March." So there might be a few more weeks of nervous waiting to get through. 

2 minutes ago, howdidigethere said:

I feel the exact same way! Had a cute little breakdown over it yesterday too. I did email Susan this morning to double check when they would be sending out offers, and all she said was "We expect to make our decision and send out offers by the end of March." So there might be a few more weeks of nervous waiting to get through. 

Glad I'm not the only one who had a breakdown...I literally had to stop and google "yoga for anxiety" - send help

If today Susan told you that they're still sending out offers until the end of March then I guess they weren't all sent out yesterday!! We're still in the running

16 minutes ago, howdidigethere said:

Thanks for sharing. I also freaked out when I saw there were two people who accepted yesterday. I'm wondering if interview dates have anything to do with it? Will people who were interviewed earlier be more likely to be notified sooner? 

12 minutes ago, teacoffee said:

Thanks for sharing. I also freaked out when I saw there were two people who accepted yesterday. I'm wondering if interview dates have anything to do with it? Will people who were interviewed earlier be more likely to be notified sooner? 

When was your interview? 

Hello,

I received an email from Susan this morning and McMaster notifying portal change of information. I checked it and found that the official admission offer letter was posted on my McMaster portal.  It gave me a deadline of March 24, 2022 to accept the offer.  I think I'm going to go to the interview with Western tomorrow and make my decision after!  Tuition fees is a little heavy $3,780.00 per term with full-time supplementary fees of $998.16 per year.  

For anyone wondering, I was interviewed on the morning of February 14, likely one of the first candidates to be interviewed.  

Good luck everyone who had an interview.  Looks like the offers are being sent out.

41 minutes ago, PsychMocha said:

Hello,

I received an email from Susan this morning and McMaster notifying portal change of information. I checked it and found that the official admission offer letter was posted on my McMaster portal.  It gave me a deadline of March 24, 2022 to accept the offer.  I think I'm going to go to the interview with Western tomorrow and make my decision after!  Tuition fees is a little heavy $3,780.00 per term with full-time supplementary fees of $998.16 per year.  

For anyone wondering, I was interviewed on the morning of February 14, likely one of the first candidates to be interviewed.  

Good luck everyone who had an interview.  Looks like the offers are being sent out.

This is so exciting! Do you have any thoughts about whether you'd want to accept Mac, or wait it out to see how the other schools play out.

Also- just wondering since you're the only person who I've heard of that has gotten an acceptance- is this your first time applying to these programs? 

2 minutes ago, imfeeling2022 said:

This is so exciting! Do you have any thoughts about whether you'd want to accept Mac, or wait it out to see how the other schools play out.

Also- just wondering since you're the only person who I've heard of that has gotten an acceptance- is this your first time applying to these programs? 

I only have until March 23 to accept McMaster's offer, I'm not sure Western will make a decision before then.  Either way, I will go to the interview with Western tomorrow and see what happens. I'll probably wait until March 23 to make a decision after consulting some of my friends who are in the therapy field.

It is my first time applying, I'm just finishing up my honours thesis this semester and won't have my graduation ceremony until June. I had lots of help in the application process from my professors, friends and colleagues. I wouldn't be able to do it alone. The competition was fierce! 

Anyone heard anything about Calgary's waitlist? Yesterday was the deadline to accept and someone mentioned on the results page a couple years back they don't give updates until after the deadline. I know it's been less than 24 hours but I am antsy HAHA

10 hours ago, imfeeling2022 said:

When was your interview? 

February 18. According to someone on this forum, that was the last day of interviews for the first round. I'm not sure if Mac did another round after. 

Edited by teacoffee

On 3/8/2022 at 2:11 PM, VanessaB said:

This is only a guess, but I suspect they limit the number of people on waitlists so they don’t give people false hope of getting in. Given that they keep other lists/backups, it sounds like occasionally they pull beyond the waitlist, but I don’t think it’s common. I suspect so many people are backups because it ensures they fill the program in the case that an unusually high number of people decline. Last year for U of A SCCP they took 5 people, and they accepted 8 in my cohort, so there’s already so few people they accept into a program in a given year that it’s unlikely they’d need to fill several spots after acceptances. For CP, I believe they took 10 people last year. If I remember correctly, I think the numbers worked out to 6 course-based and 4 thesis-based students.

If anyone is planning on declining please do so those of us in this review limbo can maybe find out:) does anyone know the odds of even hearing an answer from them if you’ve been neither accepted / waitlisted or declined. Anyone know how many are on tbe waitlist? 

2 hours ago, lishlish said:

Accepted my Mac Psychotherapy offer today :)

I think the odds are that we're going to see each other in the September! Start by looking into graduate housing....

Edited by PsychMocha

50 minutes ago, PsychMocha said:

I think the odds are that we're going to see each other in the September! Start by looking into graduate housing....

That would be super cool! Best of luck in your decision and congrats on the offer. I have always lived in Hamilton and have a small commute to Mac, so thankfully I don't have to find housing for this fall. 

1 hour ago, lishlish said:

That would be super cool! Best of luck in your decision and congrats on the offer. I have always lived in Hamilton and have a small commute to Mac, so thankfully I don't have to find housing for this fall. 

Ah... I'm on a student budget so I'm going to be looking for a place near West 5th street to walk to class instead of commuting.  Driving from Toronto everyday isn't in the plan for me. I rather move and stay in Hamilton while studying.

28 minutes ago, PsychMocha said:

Ah... I'm on a student budget so I'm going to be looking for a place near West 5th street to walk to class instead of commuting.  Driving from Toronto everyday isn't in the plan for me. I rather move and stay in Hamilton while studying.

Ohh ya that drive would be a lot!! That is a great plan though! Hopefully you can find good student rentals because Mohawk College is close by. :) Hopefully we can keep in touch. 

Hi Everyone! I am new to this community but I wanted to share what I know about Laurier's Spiritual Care and Psychotherapy program. So my friend who also applied to the program just got her admission offer for the program on March 10, around 4 pm I think. Her portal also changed. So it seems they have already started sending out offers on a rolling basis?

1 hour ago, caffeineaddict2606 said:

Hi Everyone! I am new to this community but I wanted to share what I know about Laurier's Spiritual Care and Psychotherapy program. So my friend who also applied to the program just got her admission offer for the program on March 10, around 4 pm I think. Her portal also changed. So it seems they have already started sending out offers on a rolling basis?

Wow! Was she notified via email?

1 hour ago, imfeeling2022 said:

Wow! Was she notified via email?

She showed the email to me. It had the subject "Admission to Graduate Studies at Laurier". The email shows if you got it in before you even open it because the 'congratulations' as the first text. 

I think she was saying she has untill March 30 to respond to the offer. So I definitely think they are going offers on a rolling basis.

I just did an interview with Western University MA Counselling program this morning. It was a very positive and easy going interview. There were three professors interviewing and they didn't ask a lot of difficult questions. 

I realized after the interview and with with feedback from my friend who is a psychologist that the McMaster program is more suitable for me.  I made my decision with the following rationale.

1. McMaster program has more intensive clinical placement and geared more towards clinical training. 

2. McMaster program teaches a number of therapeutic modalities that can be applied right away during clinical practicum and Western program only teaches general theories and not specific therapeutic mode of practice. 

3. I don't care about getting a PhD so I don't need to do a thesis program that takes up 20-25% of my course load time. I rather be studying practical therapeutic techniques. 

4. Since I plan to return to Saskatchewan to register as a psychologist there (yes you can be a psychologist with a Master's degree in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta), getting training in clinical setting is more ideal vs. counselling type of setting. (St. Joseph Mental Health Center vs. School and University setting)

During the interview one of the interviewer indicated that their offers of admission will come about approximately in two weeks. I told them that I have an offer from McMaster and would like to be able to consider theirs.  I asked a bunch of question about clinical trainnings, the interviewer indicated to me that the McMaster program is more suitable for me because they are more geared towards clinical assessment and treatment vs. counselling.

Therefore I decided to accept the McMaster University program's offer.

1 hour ago, MHTherapy said:

Anybody on mac’s waitlist hear back about getting an interview? Not sure what the chances are as they won’t give you details about your position on the waitlist

I haven’t heard anything back.. I’m assuming we won’t until at least March 23rd (the deadline for those who were offered admission to accept) :(