Planning Admissions 2022

44 minutes ago, Quincy_Taft_Coolidge said:

Wow. I might do that. How are you doing that. Are you just emailing individual professors?

Would this be prudent for people who are considering other offers and may not decide to go to Portland State? As someone who wants to eventually get my doctorate, I do not want to burn any bridges.

1 hour ago, Quincy_Taft_Coolidge said:

Would this be prudent for people who are considering other offers and may not decide to go to Portland State? As someone who wants to eventually get my doctorate, I do not want to burn any bridges.

I don’t see how it can hurt to reach out tbh, as long as you’re honest about your situation. If anything it’s probably a good thing just to start making connections with those researchers now

I see a lot of posts for UBC SCARP on here, but I know they have two programs (MCRP professional and MScP/MAP research).

Any MScP/MAP applicants here? Lol. We're a small bunch after pre-applications. 

I've got an interview coming up with the prospective supervisor and chair. If anyone's got any advice, that'd be great. If not, let's freak out together. ? 

Edited by luckygoldfish
spelling/grammar

I received an email from UT-Austin with a acceptance decision but it was addressed to the wrong person. I think the system messed up because our initials were the same. ? 

I emailed the school about the mistake and I am happy for the other person for getting accepted but I am really upset.

Does anyone know how funding matching tends to work between an expensive private and a cheap public school? I’m thinking of turning down UNC if an increased funding offer doesn’t come soon (they gave me no funding), but I don’t want to undercut my chances of successfully negotiating funding with other schools.

Is there any chance that, say, Penn or PSU would give me extra funding if I told them I was considering UNC (a higher ranked and much cheaper school)? Or do schools only match literal funding offers?

Edited by nacohhhhh

Anyone else still waiting to hear from MIT for M. Arch I? It sounds like a lot of people heard about acceptances last week via calls and/or email. Assuming chances are fairly slim at this point but just trying to get a sense of how many others are in a similar boat... 

13 minutes ago, cbirdsey said:

Anyone else still waiting to hear from MIT for M. Arch I? It sounds like a lot of people heard about acceptances last week via calls and/or email. Assuming chances are fairly slim at this point but just trying to get a sense of how many others are in a similar boat... 

Fellow M.Arch 1 applicant here. No one's talking about M.Arch program in this thread, or infact the whole forum. You might wanna head over to archinect to find out more. Also no I don't think MIT has sent out M.Arch 1 results yet. But it's a small class of only 20 people so let's all not get our hopes too high up. 

3 minutes ago, frank65 said:

Fellow M.Arch 1 applicant here. No one's talking about M.Arch program in this thread, or infact the whole forum. You might wanna head over to archinect to find out more. Also no I don't think MIT has sent out M.Arch 1 results yet. But it's a small class of only 20 people so let's all not get our hopes too high up. 

Yeah archinect hasn't been that helpful either. But good to know, thanks for sharing. Definitely low expectations for MIT, just desperate for some closure.

20 hours ago, Quincy_Taft_Coolidge said:

I received an email from UT-Austin with a acceptance decision but it was addressed to the wrong person. I think the system messed up because our initials were the same. ? 

I emailed the school about the mistake and I am happy for the other person for getting accepted but I am really upset.

I got an update and received my official acceptance to UT-Austin. I applied to the MPAff (Public Affairs)/MCRP (City and Regional Planning) program. This was for the MPAff. Still waiting to hear from MCRP. 

On 2/17/2022 at 4:20 PM, Quincy_Taft_Coolidge said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship

24/M/USA

Undergraduate degree/School/Year graduated 

BS in Finance; Biology minor / Top 10 Christian University / 2021

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL (for Int'l students) 

3.618 cumulative

Work Experience:

Finance internship at nonprofit that works with Asian American immigrants to obtain citizenship, English courses, housing, and social services.

ASB Vice President.

Letter of recommendations: (from whom)

Academic Advisor, Dean of my department, student government supervisor/public policy advisor

Schools applied to: Cal Poly SLO, University of Arizona, University of Utah, USC, UCLA, Portland State, UT Austin

In: Cal Poly SLO, University of Arizona, USC (MUP/MPP), Portland State (no funding), UT-Austin (MCRP[still waiting to hear]/MPAff[accepted])

Out: University of Utah

Wait-list:

Awaiting: UCLA

Final Result:

The saga of Virginia Tech mass rejection continues.. I just got rejected for the same reason as so many other Masters applicants - "No Space Available"

I saw so many rants about this on reddit where people who got into IVYs or other top universities, got rejected from VT this year. While my application is not as strong as IVY's, it still pinched a bit. 

Has anyone else not heard from Berkeley City and Regional Planning PhD admissions? I've seen someone was accepted, someone rejected, and someone waitlisted around 20 February. Admissions mentioned they are still reviewing applications. What could this mean? Thanks!

I know I am extremely late, but I have been obsessively checking this thread for the past few weeks so I figured I would post my intro! Thank you all for the information and updates, it has been very helpful and comforting at times. 

Age/Gender/Citizenship

24 / F / USA

BA in Geography- Urban Planning track / Public School / 2021

3.98 - No GRE

Work Experience:

-Working as a GIS Analyst at a large corp since graduation in Spring 2021

-6 months in school working as a GIS analyst for a state park

-Yearlong thesis around housing equity using GIS, in peer review for publication

2 thesis advisors

1 supervisor from univeristy role

Schools applied to: Portland State, CU Denver, MIT, Rutgers, Hunter College (CUNY), UCLA

In: Portland State (no funding), CU Denver (small annual funding), Rutgers, Hunter

Out: MIT

Awaiting: UCLA (Can't stop refreshing)

Final Result:

Edited by colime

1 hour ago, colime said:

I know I am extremely late, but I have been obsessively checking this thread for the past few weeks so I figured I would post my intro! Thank you all for the information and updates, it has been very helpful and comforting at times. 

Age/Gender/Citizenship

24 / F / USA

BA in Geography- Urban Planning track / Public School / 2021

3.98 - No GRE

Work Experience:

-Working as a GIS Analyst at a large corp since graduation in Spring 2021

-6 months in school working as a GIS analyst for a state park

-Yearlong thesis around housing equity using GIS, in peer review for publication

2 thesis advisors

1 supervisor from univeristy role

Schools applied to: Portland State, CU Denver, MIT, Rutgers, Hunter College (CUNY), UCLA

In: Portland State (no funding), CU Denver (small annual funding), Rutgers, Hunter

Out: MIT

Awaiting: UCLA (Can't stop refreshing)

Final Result:

Where/when did you hear about PSU funding? I’m wondering if I missed an email or something. Or did they just send you that email about not having graduate assistantship funding to offer at this time?

5 minutes ago, nacohhhhh said:

Where/when did you hear about PSU funding? I’m wondering if I missed an email or something. Or did they just send you that email about not having graduate assistantship funding to offer at this time?

You should have received another email titled "Your 2022-2023 Financial Aid Offer is Available to Review". IF you applied to scholarships, I do not believe that info will be sent out until early April. 

When it comes to funding through TA/GRA positions, I do not think that those come out until closer to the start of term.

15 minutes ago, Quincy_Taft_Coolidge said:

You should have received another email titled "Your 2022-2023 Financial Aid Offer is Available to Review". IF you applied to scholarships, I do not believe that info will be sent out until early April. 

When it comes to funding through TA/GRA positions, I do not think that those come out until closer to the start of term.

When did you get the second email? In my initial email they said "Due to budget constraints, the Toulan School does not have graduate assistantship funding to offer at this time. If you have applied for scholarships through CUPA or the Portland Planning Diversity Award program, we will be in touch in the coming days. Further information about opportunities for support can be found here: https://www.pdx.edu/usp/financial-resources." I didn't apply to any scholarships, but I do qualify for the WGRP since I live in a Western state. 

Just got into Pratt with a $28K/year scholarship! They also strongly implied that I would probably be able to get a GA position after enrolling (although from what I’ve seen, their GAs seem to just get a regular salary, not tuition remission).

While I still probably won’t be attending (it would still be more expensive than UT or UNC without funding), I’m just excited to finally get an actual big funding offer. They sent me an amazingly detailed note that referenced the personal details of my statement of purpose, writing sample, and even connected me to some professors I should talk to who share my interests. Very excited to look into the program more! Now just waiting for UCLA??

23 minutes ago, colime said:

When did you get the second email? In my initial email they said "Due to budget constraints, the Toulan School does not have graduate assistantship funding to offer at this time. If you have applied for scholarships through CUPA or the Portland Planning Diversity Award program, we will be in touch in the coming days. Further information about opportunities for support can be found here: https://www.pdx.edu/usp/financial-resources." I didn't apply to any scholarships, but I do qualify for the WGRP since I live in a Western state. 

I got the email this past Friday. I think the WGRP is automatically accounted for in your financial aid.

On 12/14/2021 at 2:30 PM, stop making sense said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship

22/F/US

BA in Urban Policy / top 40 LAC / Expected May 2022

3.75  cumulative / 3.93 major / 3.96 upper division, no GRE

Work Experience:

1 year as a research assistant; 1 year as a student researcher doing original research; 2 research internships with community organizations; 2 internships with local government agencies; 2 years doing paid work on local campaigns; and 4 years of experience as a housing justice organizer. 

Research advisor, academic advisor, and another former professor.

Schools applied to: UCLA, Cal, Columbia, Harvard, The New School  

In: UCLA

Out: Cal, Harvard

Wait-list:

Awaiting:  Columbia, The New School  

Results: 

In at UCLA! Not gonna lie, I happy cried a bit. This is my top choice by far and I'm going to submit my SIR asap.