Planning Admissions 2022

6 minutes ago, arthurp said:

Do you know if Maryland interviews? I applied to the PhD in Urban and Regional Planning and Design 

I haven't heard anything about interviews.  I wrote to ask if they had a timeline a few weeks ago and they said unfortunately they do not.  Don't want to ask again myself, but would welcome if someone else would!

Just now, ericplans said:

I haven't heard anything about interviews.  I wrote to ask if they had a timeline a few weeks ago and they said unfortunately they do not.  Don't want to ask again myself, but would welcome if someone else would!

Ugh. This is killing meeee. I'll let you know if they get back to me about it.  

I’m at my wits end with USC! They will not release decisions soon. 

I sent out applications really late and I have comparable experience with people on this thread. I’m starting to feel like I should’ve waited for Fall 2023 and applied. I could’ve applied to UCB, MIT, Harvard etc. but they were past the deadlines. USC was the only one with late deadlines so I went for it. Now I’ve received almost all decisions except this. Some universities that I received decisions from, need to hear if I accept the offer by next week. I seriously don’t know what to do. 

I’ve heard that USC sends out acceptances and rejections till the last moment. This was the only top MUP programs that I’d applied to. I’m an international and I need to hear back asap to make living arrangements and stuff. 

Edited by woketaco

25 minutes ago, woketaco said:

I sent out applications really late and I have comparable experience with people on this thread. I’m starting to feel like I should’ve waited for Fall 2023 and applied. I could’ve applied to UCB, MIT, Harvard etc. but they were past the deadlines. USC was the only one with late deadlines so I went for it. Now I’ve received almost all decisions except this. Some universities that I received decisions from, need to hear if I accept the offer by next week. I seriously don’t know what to do. 

I’ve heard that USC sends out acceptances and rejections till the last moment. This was the only top MUP programs that I’d applied to. I’m an international and I need to hear back asap to make living arrangements and stuff. 

Please check whether these graduate schools requesting your early decision are part of the Council of Graduate Schools at the 15 April Resolution. Those schools cannot require your reply before 15 April. Report them!

23 minutes ago, cityplanning said:

Please check whether these graduate schools requesting your early decision are part of the Council of Graduate Schools at the 15 April Resolution. Those schools cannot require your reply before 15 April. Report them!

The only major universities open for applicants were in Australia. The ones I applied to in USA aren’t well known programs in the field, atleast from my knowledge. I don’t know their reputation in the country. 

I got accepted into University of Sydney which says that the decision is valid till their seats get filled up. I also got into University of Melbourne with a scholarship and my deadline to avail the scholarship is March 3rd. I don’t know why they’d do such a thing. 

4 hours ago, woketaco said:

@woketaco USC has rolling admissions which means that they make decisions based on when you apply. The earlier you apply the earlier you will be notified. Those who applied by the early deadline or in JAnuary will probably be reviewed and decisions for those applicants sometime during the first or second week of March. Since you applied late you will probably be told later in the process (late March or sometime in April).

CAUTION: THIS IS ALL A GUESS BUT I'M BASING THIS ON HOW PORTLAND STATE DOES THERE ADMISSIONS WHICH IS SIMILAR TO THIS.

Edited by Quincy_Taft_Coolidge

On 2/22/2022 at 1:21 PM, Chinchinchilla said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship

27/M/Int'l

Undergraduate degree/School/Year graduated 

Bachelor of Economics / a top public university/ 2017

MPP / a Midwest university / 2019

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL (for Int'l students) 

3.4 (bachelor and master), V167 Q167 AW4, TOEFL112

Work Experience:

3 yrs of work experience: 1 yr senior data analyst at a city government, 1 yr data engineer at a civic tech startup in urban science, 1 yr consultant in planning at an int'l bank 

Letter of recommendations: (from whom)

One from my manager in the city government, two from master program(a professor who instructed my term paper and I was his TA, another professor I worked with in a geographical science project).

Schools applied to (PhD programs) : UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, UW, USC, ASU, Georgia Tech, UMich, Cornell, UNC Chapel Hill, Penn, Rutgers, MIT. 

In: USC

Out: UCLA, UNC, UMich, UC Irvine

Wait-list:

Awaiting: UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, UW, ASU, Georgia Tech (interviewed), UMich, Cornell, UNC Chapel Hill, Penn (interviewed), Rutgers, MIT

Results: USC, UCLA, UNC, UMich, UC Irvine

Four OUTs in a row lol. Every rejection came with an email to check portal.

This is the decision schedule for Portland State. I think/hope that USC will have a similar timetable since PSU also has rolling admissions

Fall 2022 Application Deadlines

Master of Urban & Regional Planning

Priority admissions deadline:

• Thursday, January 6, 2022 (8:59 pm Pacific Time)

Applicants can expect decision information:

• Mid-late March, 2022

Deadlines for subsequent rounds of applications (8:59 pm Pacific Time):

• March 15:   decision information April 7
  • April 15:      decision information May 7
  • May 1:        decision information May 23

39 minutes ago, Quincy_Taft_Coolidge said:

@woketaco USC has rolling admissions which means that they make decisions based on when you apply. The earlier you apply the earlier you will be notified. Those who applied by the early deadline or in JAnuary will probably be reviewed and decisions for those applicants sometime during the first or second week of March. Since you applied late you will probably be told later in the process (late March or sometime in April).

CAUTION: THIS IS ALL A GUESS BUT I'M BASING THIS ON HOW PORTLAND STATE DOES THERE ADMISSIONS WHICH IS SIMILAR TO THIS.

I honestly hope you’re right. I know people from Reddit who applied in November and still haven’t heard back :( 

I’ve decided to accept another Australian masters program because the deadline to accept the offer is day after tomorrow. If I get into usc I’ll just write a regret letter. 

Any view on this, need some advice...

choosing NYIT's ms in architecture, computation and technologies (55k usd and 2 year course) or going for march in australian uni mainly UTS, UQ, UNSW with 2 year course and 40k usd tution???

my key interest is computational architecture, NYIT provides that course. but the uni is not as big as the likes of UCLA UPENN ETC and its in ny too. i wanted to know whether getting into the mentioned AUS unis would be beneficial w.r.t salary or taking the us route? UQ had given avg salary as 55k aud for architect

7 hours ago, woketaco said:

I honestly hope you’re right. I know people from Reddit who applied in November and still haven’t heard back :( 

I’ve decided to accept another Australian masters program because the deadline to accept the offer is day after tomorrow. If I get into usc I’ll just write a regret letter. 

I submitted right before the December 15th deadline, and I am also still waiting on USC. I agree the wait is excruciating, however, I second the advice given above that changing your mind after you've accepted the offer is always an option if USC is the program you want to attend.

21 hours ago, plannerboi said:

just got a call from MIT - accepted! 2/2, just waiting for my last reply //  still shaking in disbelief 

Congrats - are you applying for M. Arch I? 

On 2/25/2022 at 11:48 AM, lazerdunk said:

Just got an email that I'm in at the University of Washington MUP program! The email says there should be a separate email sometime in March that will contain funding information (if I get any!)

Still waiting on UIC-- anyone hear anything yet?

I ended up reaching out to UIC about their estimated timeline and the response I received was "within the next couple of weeks." ? That seems really late considering I applied before Jan 15, but we will see what happens.

4 minutes ago, planningapp22 said:

I ended up reaching out to UIC about their estimated timeline and the response I received was "within the next couple of weeks." ? That seems really late considering I applied before Jan 15, but we will see what happens.

Thanks for checking in with them and reporting back! That does seem really late. I do know they just got a new Dean of CUPPA and they had a sudden loss of one of their faculty members/research center directors in January, so I kind of wondered if things had gotten pushed back a bit. Hopefully we hear this week or next! :) 

3 hours ago, sumedh.gangurde said:

Any view on this, need some advice...

choosing NYIT's ms in architecture, computation and technologies (55k usd and 2 year course) or going for march in australian uni mainly UTS, UQ, UNSW with 2 year course and 40k usd tution???

my key interest is computational architecture, NYIT provides that course. but the uni is not as big as the likes of UCLA UPENN ETC and its in ny too. i wanted to know whether getting into the mentioned AUS unis would be beneficial w.r.t salary or taking the us route? UQ had given avg salary as 55k aud for architect

I am not 100% sure about architecture but I know that for planning it is better to study where you want to work. Your first job will probably be at or near the place where you studied and most programs in the U.S. are area specific. As for architecture I feel like getting a job is geared more towards work experience and the quality of your portfolio.