"What are my chances?" 2022

psychcusuo

3.47 in the last two years (*60) to be exact. I received my honours degree in Canada and graduated with first class honours. The reason why my GPA is soundingly bad regardless is that I lost one whole semester of GPA due to COVID-19 and did extremely poor (didn't fail, but worse than you could ever imagine) on two science courses I took within the last 2 years. My grades in my last year skyrocketed, so I could make it to the first class honours.

I didn't make admissions for the 2021 round, and am hoping to apply again, but have no idea where I should apply to, or even where I should apply to. My top choice is to get into clinical phd program in either US or Canada, but I know my GPA isn't that appealing... I have consistently gotten pretty good grades from psych courses, but the overall grade matters a lot to my knowledge, so I really want to know where I am standing right now, and where/what to apply.

Since my GPA is not the greatest, I am also considering developmental psych and counseling since I am interested in working in health related industry or academia as a professor in the future. Though my GPA is not good, I have 10 presentation that includes posters and talks presented in both national and university conferences, and two manuscripts (second-author) in preparation (meaning not submitted/published yet). I also have three non-referred papers published in mental health-related magazines. I have been doing research around 4 years at the moment, and I hope my research experience would back my GPA up a bit. I haven't written the GRE yet, and debating whether I should take both general and psych subject together in case I want to apply to schools that require both of them.

I know my research interests and have the capacity to look for POI, but I also really need to know what type of programs I should apply considering my academic standing...

Long story short, I am hoping to 

I: 

- have a 3.47 GPA (last two years; 60*)

- hold 10 research presentations, 2 manuscripts in preparations as a second author, and 3 non-referred journal articles 

- have 4 years of research experiences (developmental, clinical child)

- want to know whether I have a shot for clinical; if I do then, masters OR phd from APA/CPA accredited schools

Really appreciate to anyone who could share their ideas! 

Edited by psychcusuo

Your GPA isn't that bad. Average GPAs of admitted students hover around 3.5, so you're pretty much within the mean. Research fit is the biggest factor in applications. Also, make sure to do well on the GRE as a way to counterbalance the GPA. Make sure the POIs you apply to are a good research match and that you have great letters of recommendation. 

18 hours ago, psychcusuo said:

Since my GPA is not the greatest, I am also considering developmental psych and counseling

Just want to add, your GPA is at the average to low end for these programs too - Clinical is more competitive because there are more applicants, to be sure, but your GPA and GRE matter just as much to non-Clinical programs. Research fit is going to be crucial for any of these. Please don't think Developmental or Counseling is "easier". :)

In your position, I would strongly consider a Master's program, to give you a chance to improve your academic numbers and get more experience to prep for those tough Clinical PhD applications down the road, if clinical work is where your heart is.

17 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Your GPA isn't that bad. Average GPAs of admitted students hover around 3.5, so you're pretty much within the mean. Research fit is the biggest factor in applications. Also, make sure to do well on the GRE as a way to counterbalance the GPA. Make sure the POIs you apply to are a good research match and that you have great letters of recommendation. 

Thank you very much for your reply!

I know my GPA is not competitive, but glad to know that it's at least not the worst to start with. I will try my best to keep GRE score as high as possible, and apply with the POIs that strongly match with my research interest to show! :) Thank you very much again. 

9 minutes ago, SocDevMum said:

Just want to add, your GPA is at the average to low end for these programs too - Clinical is more competitive because there are more applicants, to be sure, but your GPA and GRE matter just as much to non-Clinical programs. Research fit is going to be crucial for any of these. Please don't think Developmental or Counseling is "easier". :)

In your position, I would strongly consider a Master's program, to give you a chance to improve your academic numbers and get more experience to prep for those tough Clinical PhD applications down the road, if clinical work is where your heart is.

For sure! I absolutely agree with that counselling and developmental is any easier than clinical.

I have witnessed someone who got into clinical, but not counselling, which made me believe that counselling is as competitive to get into as well. Also, I know someone with 3.9 GPA with amazing research experiences and took couple years to get into counselling. I definitely did not intend to present myself sounding like I obviously have a chance for developmental or counselling when I have no chance for clinical. Regardless, I said I was considering developmental or counseling instead of clinical because I thought it might give me a better chance to get in since there would be less people to compete with (than clinical), but I am really glad that you pointed that they are not any easier than clinical.

Thank you very much for your reply, I really appreciate it!

Yeup you can!! I had a 3.4 CGPA also as a Canadian undergrad honours student and I got into a clinical program. I got a summer research grant to extend my honours thesis and then am working on 2 manuscripts from that for pub (first-author). I also didn't get into counselling programs - but probably cause I have all research and very little practical experience). Also to note, even with my 3.4 GPA I got in on one of the most competitive years with double the normal applications. So it is all possible!!! I wish you luck! 

2 hours ago, Plzletmein said:

Yeup you can!! I had a 3.4 CGPA also as a Canadian undergrad honours student and I got into a clinical program. I got a summer research grant to extend my honours thesis and then am working on 2 manuscripts from that for pub (first-author). I also didn't get into counselling programs - but probably cause I have all research and very little practical experience). Also to note, even with my 3.4 GPA I got in on one of the most competitive years with double the normal applications. So it is all possible!!! I wish you luck! 

This is such an encouraging information to hear since my CGPA is also 3.4! Honestly, this gives me lots of hopes and drives me to continue my passion for research.

The fact that you got into clinical, but not counselling counts another evidence that counselling is not any easier than clinical! If having practical experiences matters significantly, I would assume that I would have a worse shot for counselling than clinical, haha. 

It's really impressive that you already are working on 2 first-authored pubs even before starting your grad program. Though I heard pubs are not required to get into clinical/grad school, but I think having some more concrete accomplishment like pubs would strongly boost my chance to get in on top of good GRE scores. Thank you so much for sharing your story :) , really appreciate it ❤️ 

Could I ask what types of clinical psych research you were accepted with? 

Congratulations for your acceptance by the way, I wish the best of luck on your studying!!!!!

53 minutes ago, psychcusuo said:

This is such an encouraging information to hear since my CGPA is also 3.4! Honestly, this gives me lots of hopes and drives me to continue my passion for research.

The fact that you got into clinical, but not counselling counts another evidence that counselling is not any easier than clinical! If having practical experiences matters significantly, I would assume that I would have a worse shot for counselling than clinical, haha. 

It's really impressive that you already are working on 2 first-authored pubs even before starting your grad program. Though I heard pubs are not required to get into clinical/grad school, but I think having some more concrete accomplishment like pubs would strongly boost my chance to get in on top of good GRE scores. Thank you so much for sharing your story :) , really appreciate it ❤️ 

Could I ask what types of clinical psych research you were accepted with? 

Congratulations for your acceptance by the way, I wish the best of luck on your studying!!!!!

Thanks! Yes, I was so lucky my supervisor was interested in publishing with me! Although its been a lot of (mostly) unpaid work haha. 

It was at QueensU in the area of sexuality/sexual health! I also received several other interviews (UBC clinical, UofC counselling, and ULeth counselling) so I don't think a 3.4 GPA will drag you down if you have some additional experiences and find a supervisor with good research fit! 

I hope I’m posting this in the right place.

I graduated with a BS in Psychology from a pretty good school in 2020. However, my GPA was 3.2 and I got zero research experience. (I did try but It didn’t ever happen). I got too comfortable and I coasted, didn’t even develop a close relationship with any of my psych professors, so I know I won’t have a glowing reference.

Since graduating I’ve been working part time as a clinical assistant (basically personal assistant/office admin) at a psychotherapy office, and I did do a brief virtual internship with a LCSW during the pandemic. That’s about all I have going for me. 

I am fully aware that right now, I don’t have a prayer of getting into a doctoral program. 

I’m wondering what I can do to make myself a candidate. My specific questions are: 

•Is it possible to get research experience *after* graduation, or do you have to be a student? There is a university near me that does psychology research but would I need to enroll in a class? 

•Should i take the GRE even though lots of programs are not requiring it? I’m not sure if my score would help me or not, but if you think studying for and paying for it would be worth it, I am willing. 

•Any other advice you might have would be appreciated.

I realize that I majorly dropped the ball in undergrad, but I’m willing to put in the work now to get where I want to go. 

I would definitely recommend getting research experience before applying! This experience can help offset your GPA deficits particularly if you can swing it to align with potential PI's at the programs you want to apply to. You totally don't have to be a student to gain experience either! If you can do it financially, many labs will always take volunteers and you can gain experience that way. Also, many times there are open paid lab positions on the lab website or even on websites like Indeed and Glassdoor. Try finding a lab conducting research you are interested in and email the PI saying you are looking to gain more research experience for grad school and they will likely be receptive if they have any room! 

As for the GRE, I would recommend taking it. Although many programs are not requiring the test, most are still willing to look at the scores. If you can knock the GRE out of the park, that would also help to show the admissions committees that you are ready for grad school classes despite what might be considered a lower GPA!

Good luck!!

Hi:  I have had a similar issue.  In applying to various PhD Programs I have lacked research experience.  I have a 4.0 from my MSW program but have never been on a study or published.  I found programs that intersected with my interests and asked if I could volunteer to gain more experience.  So far I have gotten added to a study and am working with another professor to publish before applying again (Fall 2021). 

It is challenging.  In social work programs the research opportunities are not as known comparatively to psychology/sociology etc. 

Look for post-baccalaureate Lab manager jobs first, there are paid lab spots out there for just this reason. Many folx use those for opportunities to get hands on experience with research and publishing. If that doesn't pan out, then look for volunteer opportunities in psych research labs. Either way may get you access to profs for recommendation letters as well

Also, yes to the GRE, if you can get a great score. That might help balance out the poor GPA.

Finally, I would strongly recommend you look into Master's programs. They are typically easier to get into, require less research experience (because they know you are coming there to get it), and will allow you to build a great GPA as well as a CV. Make sure you look for a Masters track that requires a thesis, not all do. You could spend two years volunteering in a lab, but with a low undergrad GPA and no current letter writers, you might find you would benefit more from improving your academic scores and forming relationships that will lead to amazing recommendations. 

Hi! I'm planning on applying to clinical psych Ph.D. programs this fall, and wanted to get some feedback on whether or not I’m a competitive applicant.

Education:

B.S. in Psychology

GPA: 3.65; Psych GPA: 4.0

Currently in my last year of a master’s in clinical mental health counseling. 

Grad GPA: 4.00

Research Experience:

- a year and a half RA experience in the psych department at my master’s university, doing kind of random projects with different professors but mainly working with a social psych / quantitative methods professor. one publication from this RA, I’m the fourth author. 

- currently an RA with a well-known clinical psych PI in a depression/anxiety lab at an R1 school. I started last fall. I’ve been learning how to use R and I’ve made a lot of progress in my stats abilities. right now I’m making the final edits on a first-authored manuscript to hopefully submit for publication this fall. starting to get another research project off the ground. 

- Through my master’s program, I got a poster proposal accepted to be presented at a state-wide counseling conference in the fall. It’s more conceptual/practice-focused than research, though. 

GRE:

165V, 165Q, 6.0W

Letters of Rec:

- I think I’ll have one from my current RA, but I’ve been working mainly with one of the current doctoral students so I think she might be writing it and then the PI will sign it or something like that

- one from the social psych / quantitative PI

- one from a professor from my master’s program, he has a doctorate in counselor education

Clinical Experience:

- In the spring I interned at a partial hospitalization program for a wide range of disorders, but mostly mood and anxiety

- I have an internship lined up for the fall at a CBT, anxiety/OCD-focused private practice

- Did a year of volunteering as a crisis counselor for a crisis hotline

- Volunteered with a virtual “OCD Camp” for kids (not sure if this counts as clinical experience)

Research interests: OCD and anxiety disorders

I’m planning on applying to a mix of scientist-practitioner and clinical science programs. I might reconsider some schools though - I feel like my counseling master's and clinical experience will make me seem more practice-focused, so I think I might have a better shot with scientist-practitioner rather than clinical science programs. Although I think I’d really enjoy a research-focused program too.

What are my chances of getting into a program this round? Do I need another year or two of research experience? Thanks in advance!! :)

For the sake of transparency, it was not a relevant factor for me. I had no formal research experience when I applied.

I would look at activities that broaden your world perspective and deepen your character and maturity. Work on being a real thinker, someone who reads and contemplates things deeply to generate meaningful insight.

While research experience may be important, the students I am surrounded by that have prior pubs and research experience are ambitious and motivated but don't display any enthusiasm for the process of science. I get the impression that research experience tells a PI what you're willing to do to produce and how invested in the game of academia you are. My TA experiences tell me that students see this as churning out work to fill a resume to jump-start their career.

Then again, I'm probably a cynic. So, get research experience to find out if you're interested in producing research in an academic environment but do not neglect personal development. Many people on here stress research experience strongly, but rarely do I hear any suggestion on personal and professional development. YMMV.

It's about that time where we are seeing multiple students asking about their chances of getting into a program this next app cycle. Rather than having many threads about the same thing, it will be easier to have all these questions in one place. 

• PsyDuck90 pinned and unpinned this topic
On 7/5/2021 at 3:03 PM, psychcusuo said:

3.47 in the last two years (*60) to be exact. I received my honours degree in Canada and graduated with first class honours. The reason why my GPA is soundingly bad regardless is that I lost one whole semester of GPA due to COVID-19 and did extremely poor (didn't fail, but worse than you could ever imagine) on two science courses I took within the last 2 years. My grades in my last year skyrocketed, so I could make it to the first class honours.

I didn't make admissions for the 2021 round, and am hoping to apply again, but have no idea where I should apply to, or even where I should apply to. My top choice is to get into clinical phd program in either US or Canada, but I know my GPA isn't that appealing... I have consistently gotten pretty good grades from psych courses, but the overall grade matters a lot to my knowledge, so I really want to know where I am standing right now, and where/what to apply.

Since my GPA is not the greatest, I am also considering developmental psych and counseling since I am interested in working in health related industry or academia as a professor in the future. Though my GPA is not good, I have 10 presentation that includes posters and talks presented in both national and university conferences, and two manuscripts (second-author) in preparation (meaning not submitted/published yet). I also have three non-referred papers published in mental health-related magazines. I have been doing research around 4 years at the moment, and I hope my research experience would back my GPA up a bit. I haven't written the GRE yet, and debating whether I should take both general and psych subject together in case I want to apply to schools that require both of them.

I know my research interests and have the capacity to look for POI, but I also really need to know what type of programs I should apply considering my academic standing...

Long story short, I am hoping to 

I: 

- have a 3.47 GPA (last two years; 60*)

- hold 10 research presentations, 2 manuscripts in preparations as a second author, and 3 non-referred journal articles 

- have 4 years of research experiences (developmental, clinical child)

- want to know whether I have a shot for clinical; if I do then, masters OR phd from APA/CPA accredited schools

Really appreciate to anyone who could share their ideas! 

Hiii I don't have any advice sorry! But I just wanted to say that you're not alone! I am also Canadian and just finished my 4th year of psych, and my overall GPA is so low (however, my last 2 years is pretty good). You have amazing experiences!! I am sure they will help make you more competitive, even if you have a lower GPA. :) Also, if I'm not mistaken (i don't know which schools you're applying to), most of the universities are removing the GRE requirement again for the 2022 round thankfully lol I think there's still some that require it though- I will not be applying to those that require it lmao

Anyway, I wish you all the best in applying! And don't be hard on yourself, admission into clinical psych and even other psych programs are insanely competitive, so let's just do the best we can :) 

22 hours ago, PeanutButterBread said:

Hiii I don't have any advice sorry! But I just wanted to say that you're not alone! I am also Canadian and just finished my 4th year of psych, and my overall GPA is so low (however, my last 2 years is pretty good). You have amazing experiences!! I am sure they will help make you more competitive, even if you have a lower GPA. :) Also, if I'm not mistaken (i don't know which schools you're applying to), most of the universities are removing the GRE requirement again for the 2022 round thankfully lol I think there's still some that require it though- I will not be applying to those that require it lmao

Anyway, I wish you all the best in applying! And don't be hard on yourself, admission into clinical psych and even other psych programs are insanely competitive, so let's just do the best we can :) 

Thank you so much for supporting me! I wish you the best of luck for your future applications as well :) It has been really rough to stay motivated after the first round of applications! Your comments really cheered me up :) <3 

28 minutes ago, psychcusuo said:

Thank you so much for supporting me! I wish you the best of luck for your future applications as well :) It has been really rough to stay motivated after the first round of applications! Your comments really cheered me up :)❤️

No worries at all! :) Since you've already gone through the first round, now you have more experience than before with the application process and know what to expect (I assume) but yes it's definitely understandable that you may be burnt out/less motivated after the first round- that's very very normal- just keep going as best you can and make your application as strong as possible, but also enjoy the journey! All your hard work will for sure pay off and the outcome will be very rewarding, regardless of what field you decide to go into! And feel free to DM me as well if you ever need to rant- I'm always available to talk/rant haha

Hello, this is yet another WAMC question. I plan to apply to Clinical Psychology Ph.D. programs this fall and would like feedback on my current application stats. I'm freaking out a little bit from looking on here and SDN; I would appreciate any recommendations for what I should do to better prepare for applications.

Education:

• Current B.A. in Psychology student at a SLAC that is somewhat selective
  • Major GPA: 3.51 [by the time I graduate it will be between a 3.6-3.7]
  • Overall GPA: 3.4 [again by the time I graduate it will be between a 3.5-3.6]
  • GRE: I am retaking because my AWA was appalling [I spent too long prepping my essays and did not really get to write them]
  • I have technically taken 3 stats classes: 1 was for the AP exam, 1 was for psych [got a B], and the other was during Spring 20 [I didn't know that it would be better to have a B- in an upper-division math stats class than a P].

Research Experience:

• I am currently an RA and have been since January 2021. I know that this is not a long time to be one [about a year once I apply] however, I and another student came up with this project together [with a Psych professor] and managed to turn in the IRB before the summer started and got it approved. We should have a poster or two before application season. Also, the professor stated that she believes that we could turn in a manuscript before Fall 22.
  • I am also part of my school's Honor's Program and will be completing a research project with the same professor with who I am already working with. We should have the IRB in before the end of Fall this year and get it approved so that we can collect data by November 21. This professor will also be writing me a LOR.
  • I have written a research paper for my Honor's religion class and presented it at my undergrad symposium. The religion professor I worked with to create the paper, will be writing me a LOR.
  • In my math stats class, we did 2 major projects [1 used government data of ~50 data points; the other we collected ~50 participants on our own] and we analyzed the data on our own before writing a research paper.
  • My school also has a psych research methods class where we submit a mock IRB proposal, collect and analyze data, and write a paper. However I don't think that I am going to list this since it just has ~20 participants, is a group project, and did not find significance.
  • Also, I came up with a research proposal last year for a class and am hoping that the main professor that I am working with will accept completing it in Spring 22 [it's in the psychology field but has very loose ties to clinical psych]

Research Interests:

• It has to do with racial disparities in mental health and how can we improve the measures (for Schizophrenia and Autism, specifically).

Programs I want to apply to:

• UT Southwestern Medical Center
  • University of Houston
  • University of North Texas
  • Southern Methodist University
  • University of Iowa
  • Idaho State University
  • Florida State University
  • Nova Southeastern University
  • Arizona State University
  • University of Nevada, Las Vegas

*NOTE* I don't mind religious schools [am currently at one] but I myself am not religious at all. The last time I went to church was elementary school.

I also plan to get my writing professor to write me a LOR to show that my writing is not as awful as my first AWA score may say [it was a 2.0]

Should I apply to Counseling Psych too? Or should I take an extra year off and get in a couple of manuscripts from the research projects that I am currently working on?

Thank you in advance for any feedback!