Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Hi, I'm a finalist as well. I have a question about the next phase.

As I understand it, our applications are now being sent to our host countries for approval. If the number of approved grants exceeds the number of available grants, additional cuts will be made by FSB. Is this correct?

Yup. And the US Commission or whatever usually sends 1.5 to 2 times as many applicants as there are slots available ... but then you should think that all those the country selects will actually take it ... so you basically have a 50% or greater chance of getting it!

What country did you apply to? (BTW, you can also look on the IIE website and it states how many applicants they had for each country and the number of spots ... so you can roughly see how stiff the competition is. For example, I think there were 5 applicants to Azerbaijan and 5 spots ... something like that).

Cool. I'm not getting excited yet, but that is good to know. I applied for a research grant to China, so last year there were 230ish people who applied and 70 grants available. It's not specified if that 230 is pre- or post- January, but most likely pre-January as only 1.5x - 2x the number of grants are recommended.

Edited by computerdating

From what I understand the # of applications statistic is Pre-January. So for example, Country X has 90 or so total applicants, 10 grant slots. The National Board will refer 1.5-2x the grant slots, so in this example, 15-20 of 90 total proposals get sent abroad for final approval.

Does anyone have any clue about the academic profile of a successful Fulbright ETA candidate? Obviously there is no singular answer to this, but I personally am quite skeptical that I have what it takes to be accepted. I'm only asking this because I am doing an honors thesis and if I get the Fulbright, I have to finish it this semester, as opposed to completing it in the fall. I don't think my academic record is spectacular (3.7 overall) , 3.6 Economics (UC Berkeley). I have some internship experience (US Dept of Treasury, US commercial service, and private sector internships) and I studied abroad for a year in Paris. I do think my essays and letters of recs are good, but have no exceptional accomplishments.

I know the obvious answer might be to assume the worst and plan accordingly, but that means a lot of extra effort (Extra classes, data collection for thesis, job/internship applications) to prepare for it. If my profile seems banal let me know!

Edited by myacu

Does anyone have any clue about the academic profile of a successful Fulbright ETA candidate? Obviously there is no singular answer to this, but I personally am quite skeptical that I have what it takes to be accepted. I'm only asking this because I am doing an honors thesis and if I get the Fulbright, I have to finish it this semester, as opposed to completing it in the fall. I don't think my academic record is spectacular (3.7 overall) , 3.6 Economics (UC Berkeley). I have some internship experience (US Dept of Treasury, US commercial service, and private sector internships) and I studied abroad for a year in Paris. I do think my essays and letters of recs are good, but have no exceptional accomplishments.

I know the obvious answer might be to assume the worst and plan accordingly, but that means a lot of extra effort (Extra classes, data collection for thesis, job/internship applications) to prepare for it. If my profile seems banal let me know!

If it makes you feel better, both my GPA and my pedigree are worse and I'm applying for a research position.

Just found this topic and have been interested in skimming through - a form of masochism, I suppose, since I already got my rejection letter. Nice to have the waiting over with, though. Still, there's nothing worse than seeing that email and suddenly getting completely nervous and excited, thinking, "This is it!" Plus, I couldn't stop myself from having that gut-reaction of imagining myself moving to the next round. Ah well. I'd applied for master's funding w/ the joint Fulbright York or Leeds scholarships for Medieval Studies. Anyone else heard back positively from the UK? I think I remember that being one of the countries w/ the highest number of applicants...or am I mistaken?

Edited by whatshewrote

Just found this topic and have been interested in skimming through - a form of masochism, I suppose, since I already got my rejection letter. Nice to have the waiting over with, though. Still, there's nothing worse than seeing that email and suddenly getting completely nervous and excited, thinking, "This is it!" Plus, I couldn't stop myself from having that gut-reaction of imagining myself moving to the next round. Ah well. I'd applied for master's funding w/ the joint Fulbright York or Leeds scholarships for Medieval Studies. Anyone else heard back positively from the UK? I think I remember that being one of the countries w/ the highest number of applicants...or am I mistaken?

Hey there, Nope I think there were only 2 of us in this thread applying for the UK, and neither of us got through. Don't feel bad (I'm trying not to, also)! The UK gets like, 500 apps or something for only 14 grants...

Hey there, Nope I think there were only 2 of us in this thread applying for the UK, and neither of us got through. Don't feel bad (I'm trying not to, also)! The UK gets like, 500 apps or something for only 14 grants...

Haha - thanks. That makes me feel better. :) I also wonder if the fact that I wasn't selected had anything to do w/ my field of study. It seems like Fulbright would be less inclined to give funding to a Medieval Studies degree over a more current, "modern" topic like medicine or science or something that could have a direct effect on the modern world. What's your field?

Haha - thanks. That makes me feel better. :) I also wonder if the fact that I wasn't selected had anything to do w/ my field of study. It seems like Fulbright would be less inclined to give funding to a Medieval Studies degree over a more current, "modern" topic like medicine or science or something that could have a direct effect on the modern world. What's your field?

Yeah, I think that the trouble with my project was that it wasn't British-centric in the least. I'm studying music... but not British music. I don't know what they're looking for, really. It's ok though. What are your back-up options? I have a few other fellowship applications pending, so I'm hoping that one of those pans out. I think I could still swing the MPhil fees, but it'll be rough...

Does anyone have any clue about the academic profile of a successful Fulbright ETA candidate? Obviously there is no singular answer to this, but I personally am quite skeptical that I have what it takes to be accepted...

If you've advanced to Finalist status, then it is because you are a strong candidate for the Grant. I don't think there is a set list of criteria which make up a "good" application-- this goes for Research and ETA applications alike. Fulbright cares a LOT less about your GPA than they do about the following:

1) Whether you are likely to be able to stay for the entire Fulbright term.

2) How you plan to make the greatest "impact" on the place you've selected. This one is HUGE... applications that show a practical plan for local engagement are much more likely to get admitted.... remember that Fulbright is essentially designed to foster intercultural dialogue and soft diplomacy. If your application discusses how you will impact the community beyond the classroom, you're golden.

3) The extent to which you demonstrate a basic knowledge of the host culture, your role as a Fulbright Scholar, and have developed a "plan" for once you arrive. (Basically, they want to see that you have given this some thought, and that you are taking the lead in your own Fulbright period, how you will spend your time there, etc)

4) The extent to which the Fulbright Grant will serve a larger purpose beyond that single year of ETA/Research. So, if you describe how getting this funding will improve your professional goals or the goals of the institution you will work with.... this one is about "fit." Fulbright prefers to give grants to candidates who will be able to use the experience they gain even after the one year grant term.

There are so many more of these, but I think this covers the major bases. It all boils down to one thing: Fulbright IIE is a granting organization; they give money out each year... their task is to select the best "investments" and thus get the most bang for their buck. I am a firm believer that IIE decisions have less to do with one's proposed topic (for us Research slouches) than with how we demonstrate our ability to reap the gains of this intellectual diplomacy. Sure, in competitions with more applicants (the UK, for example) or where political sensitivities could pose a problem (the Middle East, perhaps?) our research topics are more likely to be examined closely... but I think initial cuts are more about fitting in with the IIE mission--- to foster as much cultural exchange and international intellectual engagement as Fulbright's limited funding allows.

Any other thoughts?

Edited by nescafe

If you've advanced to Finalist status, then it is because you are a strong candidate for the Grant. I don't think there is a set list of criteria which make up a "good" application-- this goes for Research and ETA applications alike. Fulbright cares a LOT less about your GPA than they do about the following:

1) Whether you are likely to be able to stay for the entire Fulbright term.

2) How you plan to make the greatest "impact" on the place you've selected. This one is HUGE... applications that show a practical plan for local engagement are much more likely to get admitted.... remember that Fulbright is essentially designed to foster intercultural dialogue and soft diplomacy. If your application discusses how you will impact the community beyond the classroom, you're golden.

3) The extent to which you demonstrate a basic knowledge of the host culture, your role as a Fulbright Scholar, and have developed a "plan" for once you arrive. (Basically, they want to see that you have given this some thought, and that you are taking the lead in your own Fulbright period, how you will spend your time there, etc)

4) The extent to which the Fulbright Grant will serve a larger purpose beyond that single year of ETA/Research. So, if you describe how getting this funding will improve your professional goals or the goals of the institution you will work with.... this one is about "fit." Fulbright prefers to give grants to candidates who will be able to use the experience they gain even after the one year grant term.

There are so many more of these, but I think this covers the major bases. It all boils down to one thing: Fulbright IIE is a granting organization; they give money out each year... their task is to select the best "investments" and thus get the most bang for their buck. I am a firm believer that IIE decisions have less to do with one's proposed topic (for us Research slouches) than with how we demonstrate our ability to reap the gains of this intellectual diplomacy. Sure, in competitions with more applicants (the UK, for example) or where political sensitivities could pose a problem (the Middle East, perhaps?) our research topics are more likely to be examined closely... but I think initial cuts are more about fitting in with the IIE mission--- to foster as much cultural exchange and international intellectual engagement as Fulbright's limited funding allows.

Any other thoughts?

Nescafe: I totally agree with your analysis! Last year I applied - I have a 4.0 GPA had great affiliation letters an awesome research plan. I was positive I was a shoe in for the Fulbright. BUT due to optimal space utilization in my essays I had omitted most of my non-academic intent and was rejected in the first round. Also my research area had the potential to be controversial in the country I selected.

I'm a bit perplexed (well, maybe not the right word).

Here's my question:

The country to which I applied, Slovak Republic, has two listed spots, and had 2 spots last year.

However, there were no research grants offered out of 5 applications.

Any clues as to how often a nation outright says, "thanks but no thanks this year" to Fulbright possibilities?

Any place we can see the number of finalists forwarded in a prior year?

Thanks.

Is there any way we can view the actual number of applicants forwarded to the next round for a particular program? Or do we just have to go by the 1.5-2x the spots estimate?

Yup (to the latter). We just have to go by the 1.5-2x estimate. All there is online is that list of total applicants to spots available.

But there might be something out there ...

Where do you plan on conducting your research in Germany?

I got an affiliation with Uni Bonn and am totally pumped for possibly living there for about year! I've been hesitant all this while, but have realized I may never have this chance ever. So might as well do it. What's that saying ... "you only live once"?

I have an affiliation with Goethe in Frankfurt. I also pushed pretty firmly for the language training. I am really hopeful, I've wanted to research in Germany for a while and a couple things fell into place this year with Goethe. I agree, "you only live once" and this will be worth it if it works out.

Melchior and whatshewrote,

Yes, I have a hunch that subject matter may indeed have had at least something to do with these results (along with many other factors). Coincidentally enough, my field was related to (non-British) historical studies, too.

It's all okay -- I'm definitely not giving up on my project just because IIE said no! ;) Best of luck to you both (and all you finalists!)

Best,

Roman

Any clues as to how often a nation outright says, "thanks but no thanks this year" to Fulbright possibilities?

Any place we can see the number of finalists forwarded in a prior year?

Hi... yes, there can be a number of reason that a recipient country declines all of its Grantees. Indeed, last year this was what happened to Egypt's ETAs... they were granted but then rerouted to other area countries.

The reasons that a country might not actually receive any Fulbrighters could include:

1) The money dried up or was reallocated at the last minute.

2) The Fulbright Commission did not pass anyone on to final consideration (e.g. none of the applications they received were feasible).

3) If political relations are particularly tense with the recipient country, one or both sides will decline anyone who might rock the boat.

4) A Fulbright Fellow is approved by the IIE Commission in New York and the Binational Commission, but then the paperwork stalls at the recipient country's government. (Indeed, I know this pain all too well).

5) Security considerations lead the Fulbright Office to close a particular country's Grant Opportunity. (Lebanon is an example)

6) a small asteroid has fallen from Mars, obliterating the IIE Office, the Recipient Country, both, or maybe just an applicant's paperwork. :) (Sometimes crazy stuff happens.)

I will say that last year there were also several applicants who received rejections, only to get an email 3 months later telling them more money had been found and that they could go on Fulbright after all! This was most notably the case with Turkey's ETA Program.

The Fulbright IIE Office is VERY quiet about details regarding Finalist figures... and rightfully so. It's a question of privacy. I doubt that we'll know the discreet numbers, beyond the simple "1.5 to 2.0" ratio given in the advancement email.

Best of luck to you all!

Edited by nescafe

Is there anyone here that is from another country than USA? ...but, applied to go to the US?

Just to commiserate with them, since I have not got the e-mail yet. I guess they will be notifying us little bit later than the US students unsure.gif

Yup (to the latter). We just have to go by the 1.5-2x estimate. All there is online is that list of total applicants to spots available.

But there might be something out there ...

Do they have the figures up for the number of total applicants for the 2011-2012 competition?

Do they have the figures up for the number of total applicants for the 2011-2012 competition?

Hmm, when do they update it, it should be reflected here: https://us.fulbrightonline.org/statistics_country_europe.html . Looks like they haven't though. I kind of think that they had a lot of more applicants this season considering the economy and so many more students applying for opportunities to either better themselves or pursue this as a break between undergrad/grad school.