Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Yes, I had to respond within three weeks of receipt of the letter. There were medical clearance forms that need to be authorized by a physician and returned to IIE. You should contact them if you have a concern you will not meet their timeline. If they don't hear from you within three weeks they will assume you are declining and drop you from the candidate pool. Take a deep breath....Hope you hear something soon!

We just need to send back that medical form filled out by a physician, right? And when they say three weeks, they mean like the letter can be postmarked w/in three weeks or like they must receive it within three weeks? I just hope they can fill everything out during this silly exam. And then we can get more info ...

A thought occurred to me... Most forums I've ever participated in are usually the busiest at night, but this forum is dead a night for the most part but picks up the busiest in the middle of the day... right around mail time. LOL.

does anyone have the link to the googledocs from previous years? I'm waiting on an ETA in poland, and frustratingly, no one seems to know anything about it...

Hey,

I'm currently a grantee in Poland, and while not an ETA, I'm pretty informed as to their application process/experiences in Poland this year. PM me if there's anything you'd like to know.

Dan

Hi Everyone.

Bit of a roller coaster yesterday at mail time.

Larger than normal manilla envelope - but it contained a rejection letter (Slovak Republic, Research Grant).

Have a great time in whatever country you are headed to.

It's been an interesting process - glad the waiting is over and rest of life planning can begin.

~ josedob

We just need to send back that medical form filled out by a physician, right? And when they say three weeks, they mean like the letter can be postmarked w/in three weeks or like they must receive it within three weeks? I just hope they can fill everything out during this silly exam. And then we can get more info ...

I think the postmark within three would be the latest I would push it without notifying them. After you mail it, it will be out of your control. It didn't take long for my doctor and I to fill out the form, but there were a couple tests and lab work I needed to complete which took another week. Ahhh... I am glad it's all in. I received notice that once Austria and IIE confer over my clearance and transcripts they will send grant authorization forms.

Hi all!

I am applying for a research grant to Greece, unfortunately I have not seen anyone who has applied to Greece this year or last year. It's killing me to not have an approximate of when I will find out. Any thoughts?

Good luck on your applications!

Hi all!

I am applying for a research grant to Greece, unfortunately I have not seen anyone who has applied to Greece this year or last year. It's killing me to not have an approximate of when I will find out. Any thoughts?

Good luck on your applications!

According to the 2009-2010 Fulbright forum, it looks like you can expect it the last week of March or the 1st week of April. Someone wrote on April 21, 2009:

I called Rachel Holskin to find out if Greece had been released yet. Turns out they mailed the letters a month ago and mine got lost. What a terrible way to find out I didn't get it. :|

I hope that helps.

~Esther

I checked the googldoc yesterday morning and noticed two acceptances for Laos and Korea but they have since been deleted. Was that just a fluke or mistake? Sorry to sound nosy but did anyone for Asia receive their results yet?

According to the 2009-2010 Fulbright forum, it looks like you can expect it the last week of March or the 1st week of April. Someone wrote on April 21, 2009:

I hope that helps.

~Esther

Thank-you so much! Good luck with your application!

~Maria

Hi everyone. Finally decided to create an account, although I don't know how much use this will be to me long-term. Does anyone have any ideas on how people are selected (particularly for ETA only awards) to be in the top group (the number of awards actually available) versus being placed in the bottom half (the 1.5 to 2 times extra recommended candidates)? For those of you who applied to ETA only awards, do you mind briefly sharing what you proposed to do with your time outside the classroom? I wrote quite a few things in my statement, including volunteering at an orphanage and participating in community ceremonies to learn about the religion (specifically, how it has changed over the years and why) and I'm now wondering if this was what they are really looking for. I also mentioned wanting to learn the host language.

Edited by readtowin

Hey, I applied for an ETA to Turkey and (surprise surprise) am still waiting to hear back. I've been told that Turkey doesn't give responses until mid May or so, but I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about Turkey. The wait is starting to wear on me!

Have you given the thread dedicated to Fulbright a look see yet? :P

I think there are a few folks there in your shoes. Additionally, a kind soul created a Google doc that's tracking notifications. It's located here. There's also a link to last year's Google doc somewhere in that maze of a thread, but I'm too lazy to find it!

Best of luck! Turkey is amazing.

Hi all - I'm new to this board, but I had a couple questions for anyone who might have some insight.... I received a package from IIE notifying me that I have been awarded a Fulbright ETA to France, but I have not yet received any specific information about my placement or the conditions of the grant. Does anyone know when this information gets sent out? Have any other ETAs received placement info yet?

Also on the theme of money/monthly stipends: anyone else going to be dealing with student loans (and, in my case, credit card debt) during their Fulbright year? I took a year off after undergrad and deferred all my loans then, and have now run out of "deferrement time," according to my understanding (which is admittedly somewhat lacking). So if I got a grant to Egypt, I would not only have to deal with living expenses, but have a pretty significant monthly payment to make, meaning I would have to have some extra income...anyone else dealing with this, and how do you plan on dealing with that problem?

Also on the theme of money/monthly stipends: anyone else going to be dealing with student loans (and, in my case, credit card debt) during their Fulbright year? I took a year off after undergrad and deferred all my loans then, and have now run out of "deferrement time," according to my understanding (which is admittedly somewhat lacking). So if I got a grant to Egypt, I would not only have to deal with living expenses, but have a pretty significant monthly payment to make, meaning I would have to have some extra income...anyone else dealing with this, and how do you plan on dealing with that problem?

In terms of school loans, I think I you can get another deferment. I read something to that affect. Can anyone else confirm?