Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

I am an alternate for Indonesia and I am still waiting, so I don't understand how they could offer someone who was rejected a space. Indonesia even mailed me a form that I signed and sent back to their director asking to remain on the waitlist as an alternate. That was in the middle of April and I have not heard anything from Jonathan Akeley or anyone in Indonesia since then.

Could someone please explain if this would even be possible? Is it possible for Fulbright to give someone who was rejected a space? And if so, why would they do that instead of giving an alternate a space?

Well, I think you have to consider that the other person was an ETA, while I'm guessing you applied for a traditional grant? That might explain why they were contacted and you were not. Hang in there though readtowin....I'm a Norway alternate and I'm sort of in the same boat as you.....waiting waiting waiting...

Good Luck!!

I'm surprised Fulbright isn't asking you all to go through their STA folks. I guess that comes down to whatever the different countries stipulate. Germans are too dadgum good at austerity! Anyway, you have to be sure that they deliniate between stipend and reimbursement. Reimbursement would, of course, mean they're only going to pay for your ticket. With that, there are likely parameters you'd have to meet, such as not exceeding certain costs or not getting first class. On the other hand, if it's seriously a stipend (I'm jealous) then you're free to do whatever you want.

I remember something like this happened to me, and I foolishly thought it was a stipend. The government hurt my feelings when I had to cough up the extra cash. Ha.

What is STA? I'm sure the Fulbright for Russia is going to be similar to yours so I need to know how to do this.

Well, I think you have to consider that the other person was an ETA, while I'm guessing you applied for a traditional grant? That might explain why they were contacted and you were not. Hang in there though readtowin....I'm a Norway alternate and I'm sort of in the same boat as you.....waiting waiting waiting...

Good Luck!!

No, I also applied for an ETA for Indonesia. I was named alternate in March and then received an envelope directly from AMINEF in Indonesia in mid-April. The envelope had a piece of paper in it that required alternates to check one of two boxes, either informing Fulbright that they wanted to remain on the alternate list or be removed. I checked 'yes' to remain on the list, scanned it and emailed it to the Fulbright contact person in Indonesia and she responded to let me know that she had received it. So, I have been assuming all this time that AMINEF would contact alternates for Indonesia and not the office in New York, but I don't know that for sure.

I'm still so completely confused as to how the application process works.............

Edited by readtowin

What is STA? I'm sure the Fulbright for Russia is going to be similar to yours so I need to know how to do this.

I'm referring to this, but once again I don't know who the Russian commission has handling stuff.

This is the specific number you have to dial: 1-866-863-5978.

I'm referring to this, but once again I don't know who the Russian commission has handling stuff.

This is the specific number you have to dial: 1-866-863-5978.

Oh, I see. Yeah, I did not hear anything about that in any of the few emails I received from the Russian commission. They just said it's our responsibility so I guess it is different from yours.

What they said in the email was Russian FBers will get an amount for round trip transportant plus a one time base stipend start up. My question is just how far I can push it with the flight costs. I know there is a limit, but if that limit isn't reached I wonder if that just means extra spending money for me. I found a one way plane ticket for only $630 but the times are crappy (10 hour layover) and better flight times are all $900-1100. If I don't get any extra money out of it either way, I'll just go with the expensive and better flight times but if being on a flight for almost two days means more money, I'm willing.

Edited by studentb2011

Oh, I see. Yeah, I did not hear anything about that in any of the few emails I received from the Russian commission. They just said it's our responsibility so I guess it is different from yours.

What they said in the email was Russian FBers will get an amount for round trip transportant plus a one time base stipend start up. My question is just how far I can push it with the flight costs. I know there is a limit, but if that limit isn't reached I wonder if that just means extra spending money for me. I found a one way plane ticket for only $630.

Ja that makes sense then. My, non-authoritative, position would say you have free reign here.

What they said in the email was Russian FBers will get an amount for round trip transportant plus a one time base stipend start up. My question is just how far I can push it with the flight costs. I know there is a limit, but if that limit isn't reached I wonder if that just means extra spending money for me. I found a one way plane ticket for only $630 but the times are crappy (10 hour layover) and better flight times are all $900-1100. If I don't get any extra money out of it either way, I'll just go with the expensive and better flight times but if being on a flight for almost two days means more money, I'm willing.

Wow 630 for a one way, that's awesome. all my searches have been around 2K for a one way...but only 1K for round trip. where are you flying from?

Wow 630 for a one way, that's awesome. all my searches have been around 2K for a one way...but only 1K for round trip. where are you flying from?

I live in Missouri, and flights from the Midwest are usually the most expensive so it's odd (i.e. it's sometimes cheaper to fly to Europe from Los Angeles than it is from Kansas City). I originally looked at Airfare.com but I found bad reviews and allegations that's a scam. Then I found BT-store.com and they have good reviews and are known for being cheap. I just hope that price stays low until a few days because I'm waiting for an email back from Fulbright just to be on the safe side with all this.

Edited by studentb2011

lol And holy crap, living in San Francisco really has put a dent in your budget hasn't it? I remember how much your medical costs were and now this expensive plane ticket. Hopefully Italy won't be too expensive for you. If it makes you feel any better though, I have to spend more money on winter clothes and special boots before I leave as well as other favorite Western goods that Russia doesn't have (but Italy probably does). I'm already budgeting $1000 in spending money just to stock up on clothes this summer before I leave (and no, I don't shop high end).

Edited by studentb2011

lol And holy crap, living in San Francisco really has put a dent in your budget hasn't it? I remember how much your medical costs were and now this expensive plane ticket. Hopefully Italy won't be too expensive for you. If it makes you feel any better though, I have to spend more money on winter clothes and special boots before I leave as well as other favorite Western goods that Russia doesn't have (but Italy probably does). I'm already budgeting $1000 in spending money for just clothes this summer before I leave (and no, I don't shop high end).

hahah RIGHT? I have been looking at housing and my rent in Rome will be HALF of what it is in SF!! Incredible. I'm really excited that even though i'll have way less income while abroad, i'll have MORE spending money.

Though I did just look on that bt-store site, and i'm seeing one way tickets for around $670, which when buying direct from the airline would be around 2600. So thank you for this website!

hahah RIGHT? I have been looking at housing and my rent in Rome will be HALF of what it is in SF!! Incredible. I'm really excited that even though i'll have way less income while abroad, i'll have MORE spending money.

Though I did just look on that bt-store site, and i'm seeing one way tickets for around $670, which when buying direct from the airline would be around 2600. So thank you for this website!

Wow, good deal you're gonna have in Rome.

As for the bt-store site, I'm still researching them to see if they're legit. The Better Business Bureau rates them A+ but I saw a couple reviews from people saying it's another one of those sites that advertise low fares and later on email you saying the fares went up out of their control (but they allow you to cancel it at no fees - although if this happened two weeks before you leave, you're screwed). But as with online reviews, that could be a competing company writing that so who knows. I'll keep researching and update you.

While the West Coast is pretty awesome ( I don't know about LA ... Seattle, Portland, and SF are awesome and not all polluted ... no offense to LA folks), we have to fly further than all y'alls in the midwest and East Coast. Ugh. Oh well. So while the extra $400 I forked over wasn't that unpleasant for me, I realized it was a direct flight (none of that running through random airports to catch a flight) and that it's for Fulbright. I'll make up that $400 when I get a REAL job ... eventually ... lol.

Roland,

Did you find anything out yet?

Yes, just talked to him. I was offered the Fulbright to Malaysia. They got more funding so the program there tripled. Because you are an alternate for Indonesia, I'm assuming that's why they haven't contacted you. He told me they are only contacting other people who applied in the Asia-Pacific region who were rejected.

While the West Coast is pretty awesome ( I don't know about LA ... Seattle, Portland, and SF are awesome and not all polluted ... no offense to LA folks), we have to fly further than all y'alls in the midwest and East Coast. Ugh. Oh well. So while the extra $400 I forked over wasn't that unpleasant for me, I realized it was a direct flight (none of that running through random airports to catch a flight) and that it's for Fulbright. I'll make up that $400 when I get a REAL job ... eventually ... lol.

I agree, it really is a pain for West-coasters going to Europe. The long flights and layovers BEFORE crossing the Atlantic are not my favorite. One more reason why it's better to head to Asia, I guess. ;)

And SF, Portland, Seatle, and Vancouver is a fantastic string of cities. Only downside is that flying to Asia always requires me to fly from Portland to one of those three other cities first. :P

No, I also applied for an ETA for Indonesia. I was named alternate in March and then received an envelope directly from AMINEF in Indonesia in mid-April. The envelope had a piece of paper in it that required alternates to check one of two boxes, either informing Fulbright that they wanted to remain on the alternate list or be removed. I checked 'yes' to remain on the list, scanned it and emailed it to the Fulbright contact person in Indonesia and she responded to let me know that she had received it. So, I have been assuming all this time that AMINEF would contact alternates for Indonesia and not the office in New York, but I don't know that for sure.

I'm still so completely confused as to how the application process works.............

That does sound super confusing. Hopefully you will have some good news soon then??

Muscndanz- are you the Fulbright PhD candidate who will be teaching in UAE?

I just found out today about my status from alternate to grantee

I believe there are a few PSU congratulatory awards in graduation and the paper I'll expect to have an article or something...

My dad is happy for me but concerned (he would be if I were going to Europe or Asia too). Mom feels the same, but won't say so for fear of hurting my feelings.

My husband is hoping for gift certificates to "Muchas Gracias" the Mexican restaurant for HIS graduation because he can't cook.

Friends & family are just finding out. I'm excited because the doctors at the ER I work in had just started warming up to me when they found out I was recommended. LOL... doctors are busy people though, particularly those working in the ER.

Hi Erica Ci--No I am a full grantee for Austria (graduate).

My family is concerned too...they are going through a mix of emotions, I can tell. In every other conversation there is some inevitable phrase: "let's change the subject" or "okay, okay, we'll deal with that later..." They think there is so much time left, yet I am utterly aware of how quickly things are moving (whether I like it or not).

The university has posted announcements and interviewed us for an article. One of my colleagues is graciously throwing a celebration party. It is awfully strange to have so much attention when I am still trying to grasp it myself. But I am taking it all in... and I am so happy to have a network of support.

Most people have reacted extremely positively and are impressed to the point that I get embarrassed. However, my work doesn't know yet, so I've had to keep it a secret from my work friends, which is sooo difficult. I actually ran into someone the other day who mentioned it in front of one of my co-workers. That was really awkward, thank god that co-worker is one of my best work buddies. I think because I can't tell my work yet, it's not fully sunk in.

Has anyone bought their plane tickets yet? I'm waiting on my official grant documents to show up, as I watch the airline prices go up and up...

I kept it from my work and university, also. It was like preventative damage control. Sometimes it was unbearable....but I'm glad I kept it hush for a while and let it sink in. After I received medical clearance, I met with my supervisors and told them, then I sent a letter to my students, the FPA and referees and it went viral from there.. finally I announced it on facebook and let out a BIG pleasurable sigh : )

Bought my plane tix today ...I'm a little worried though after reading some of these posts. I hope they are legit and not some too good to be true deal.

I kept it from my work and university, also. It was like preventative damage control. Sometimes it was unbearable....but I'm glad I kept it hush for a while and let it sink in. After I received medical clearance, I met with my supervisors and told them, then I sent a letter to my students, the FPA and referees and it went viral from there.. finally I announced it on facebook and let out a BIG pleasurable sigh : )

Bought my plane tix today ...I'm a little worried though after reading some of these posts. I hope they are legit and not some too good to be true deal.

That's awesome. I can't wait for the day where I can talk about it freely! What is your project about?

I live in Missouri, and flights from the Midwest are usually the most expensive so it's odd (i.e. it's sometimes cheaper to fly to Europe from Los Angeles than it is from Kansas City). I originally looked at Airfare.com but I found bad reviews and allegations that's a scam. Then I found BT-store.com and they have good reviews and are known for being cheap. I just hope that price stays low until a few days because I'm waiting for an email back from Fulbright just to be on the safe side with all this.

I'm a huge fan of Kayak.com they show rates other people found for similar days, weeks, other airlines etc. I've booked through them and a lot of my hipster-traveling buddies swear by kayak.com.

I'm still waiting for info from the IIE commission, but I just found out yesterday that I'm a grantee for UAE. Their tickets are like $1300 from the West Coast, but I can fly from my town (Portland, OR) or Seattle or even Cali... however PDX is cheaper. Weird.

Jermaine from the MENA region told me they're covering all my tickets... Hopefully it's not toooooo cheap flying cuz I'd rather have a nearly direct flight. I would love to stop on the way back through Europe as I haven't been since I was 14. Maybe I'll get a shwagg job & I'll be trekking all over the globe. God Willing.

No way you are flying from Pullman... Spokane maybe? no puddle jumpers across the Atlantic... lol

hey everyone, question about PDO -- i'm a full-grant recipient for Indonesia. i have a fiance, not officially a legal dependent, who will come to DC with me. do you think they'll pay for her? or should i get a single room and we can stay there together? in that case, any idea how much the 1/2 cost of the room is?

thanks!

-nick

You know, folks in academia always talk about how not to burn bridges b/c you never know when you'll see someone again - another student, professor, scientist, etc. This guy seems to like burning bridges with his student and doesn't even realize that one day the student that declined a Fulbright might well be taking some grant money away from him! I wouldn't burn your side of the bridge with him. I don't know if you've talked to him about why you declined it. If you want to try and repair it, that's a good step. But just let it be. If he comes across again in the future, just remember that HE burned his side of the bridge and you can be sure to remind him of that with your reasoning and successful career without Fulbright.

Sorry it took a while to reply; I've been driving cross-country. One of the weird parts about this whole situation is that I spoke to him on the phone before making the decision and, after explaining my reasoning, he seemed to support my decision (or at least claimed it did). In any case, I've been tried to remain cordial throughout this whole thing--soon after, I had to give a speech at my department's graduation ceremony and still thanked him for everything he's done for me. Then again, that could have been interpreted with barbs. Oh well.

I saw in the database that one person has heard that they are an alternate for Fulbright research grant to Armenia. I have still yet to hear anything from Fulbright. I have called and left messages, sent emails, and still no response from anyone. I can't even get anyone to acknowledge I'm a human being. I'm not sure what to do. According to my initial email notifying me I was a finalist decisions were supposed to be sent out by May 15. It's nearly the end of the month, and I haven't gotten anything in the mail and nobody will respond when I call/email. Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated!!!

Yes, just talked to him. I was offered the Fulbright to Malaysia. They got more funding so the program there tripled. Because you are an alternate for Indonesia, I'm assuming that's why they haven't contacted you. He told me they are only contacting other people who applied in the Asia-Pacific region who were rejected.

Wow. That is amazing! Congrats!!

Did he say if the money comes from Malaysia or if it came from the US State Department? I'm still not sure that I understand where they find the additional funding for some countries and not others.