Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

has anyone else noticed a marked lull on the spreadsheet...i feel like there haven't been any letters recently. (coming from someone who stalks the spreadsheet 10 times daily). dear poland, where are you?

i am starting to regret having looked at least year's spreadsheet, because it suggests that Poland heard back by this time last year, but there is not enough data to really generalize.

what kind of grant are you waiting on?

has anyone else noticed a marked lull on the spreadsheet...i feel like there haven't been any letters recently. (coming from someone who stalks the spreadsheet 10 times daily). dear poland, where are you?

Yes, it has been slow, but it looks like some people heard yesterday or over the weekend.

Just got this (form letter) back about Germany ETA:

IIE/Fulbright does not have a timeline we can provide, as we are now waiting on several things: 1) country decisions 2) Fulbright Scholarship Board (FSB) approval on all recommended applications and 3) ECA (State Department) approvals on budgets.

IIE/Fulbright cannot send out any notification information until we have all three of these in our office, and I am not able to predict when exactly this will happen.

At this time, we truly appreciate your patience.

So, not a whole lot to glean from that... looks like we've just got to keep waiting.

Just got this (form letter) back about Germany ETA:

IIE/Fulbright does not have a timeline we can provide, as we are now waiting on several things: 1) country decisions 2) Fulbright Scholarship Board (FSB) approval on all recommended applications and 3) ECA (State Department) approvals on budgets.

IIE/Fulbright cannot send out any notification information until we have all three of these in our office, and I am not able to predict when exactly this will happen.

At this time, we truly appreciate your patience.

So, not a whole lot to glean from that... looks like we've just got to keep waiting.

SCHEISSE! Gibts doch gar nicht!

I just knew we would be getting a letter in the mail sometime very soon. Deflated!

Any Spain people willing to email/call Rachel holskin and ask when Spain notifications will be sent?

I e-mailed her after I saw your post, and just got this in response:

"We're still waiting for Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board approval and it's impossible to predict the timing for this. Hopefully, the next couple of weeks...! Best wishes, Rachel."

Weeks! Le sigh.

"We're still waiting for Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board approval and it's impossible to predict the timing for this. Hopefully, the next couple of weeks...! Best wishes, Rachel."

Weeks! Le sigh.

I wonder how many emails she gets in an hour? Lol. She probably gets as many as my advisor ~25/hr .. and might be a slow day ...

Was that today that she said they had not been sent yet? Ugh, I was hoping today would be the day! They need to hurry it up :) Have you received admission to your school of choice in Norway (you or anyone else who applied for Norway)? I just received mine yesterday!

Good luck to you :)

I just got that email from her yesterday. Maybe in a few days she'll have a more definite answer of when the letters will go out? If I were to get a grant, I'd be doing research in Oslo. Congrats to you on your admission! What school did you apply to?

SCHEISSE! Gibts doch gar nicht!

I just knew we would be getting a letter in the mail sometime very soon. Deflated!

Agh! I know. Especially frustrating because my original e-mail asked if we could expect to receive an e-mail notification along with paper mail, which she didn't answer at all. So, now I'm stuck at home for Spring break grumbling about not knowing when decisions will happen and if it will just wind up waiting in my school mailbox for the rest of the week without me knowing what it says... very frustrating.

Oh well, first world problems I guess :)

Agh! I know. Especially frustrating because my original e-mail asked if we could expect to receive an e-mail notification along with paper mail, which she didn't answer at all. So, now I'm stuck at home for Spring break grumbling about not knowing when decisions will happen and if it will just wind up waiting in my school mailbox for the rest of the week without me knowing what it says... very frustrating.

Oh well, first world problems I guess :)

Ahaha. First world problems indeed!

"Waaah! I want to know if I received this Fellowship to teach English in another country for a year! I don't care how much they're inundated with other stuff, I need a decision now!"

I think I'll stop complaining now. :P

I just got that email from her yesterday. Maybe in a few days she'll have a more definite answer of when the letters will go out? If I were to get a grant, I'd be doing research in Oslo. Congrats to you on your admission! What school did you apply to?

I got that email from her yesterday, too! haha. Hopefully they will be sent out this week! I applied to BI Norwegian School of Management in Oslo, I will be studying International Management there and specifically Scandinavian Management Techniques. Will you be going to school in Oslo or just researching?

Lykke til :)

Ahaha. First world problems indeed!

"Waaah! I want to know if I received this Fellowship to teach English in another country for a year! I don't care how much they're inundated with other stuff, I need a decision now!"

I think I'll stop complaining now. :P

I read somewhere ... last year's forum maybe ... that they send out stuff at the beginning of the week ... so maybe the next wave is coming soon ... ie. should be receiving Wed-Fri. I received mine Wed ... I think and it postmarked and sent the Friday before. Okay. I lied. Maybe they sent the next wave out Friday and it takes a while ...

I still don't understand why certain things take as long or as short to get to their destination. My parents work for the post office and even they don't know!

Edited by crimsonengineer87

Any Spain people willing to email/call Rachel holskin and ask when Spain notifications will be sent?

That is so funny that you just asked about that because I was thinking about asking people where they found the email to ask about whether or not notifications have been sent out. But, I don't want to be the first person . Maybe if we don't hear by the end of this week, I will give in and email her!

In terms of school loans, I think I you can get another deferment. I read something to that affect. Can anyone else confirm?

ranita, italia2011:

i was able to defer my college loans more than once. i got a teaching grant to france a few years ago and was able to defer then, and also, when i returned to the US, as i did not secure employment until 6 months after. i think when you have a letter from a government institution, they are unable to decline the request. this may depend, though, if your loans are from private bankers (ie, sally mae). i'm talking about direct loans. your deferment would also be based on educational reasons, as opposed to hardship or what have you, so this would help your case, regardless. i think it is a good idea to follow-up and confirm, nonetheless. i've not done this yet as i am still waiting to hear back on the FB decision for applicants to Morocco.

in terms of the credit card debt, try and transfer your account to a card that has 0% apr for 12 months.i have some credit card debt and did this recently in order to alleviate my debt. whether or not you get the FB, this is a smart thing to do. why pay interest rate if there is a card offer that allows you to pay the balance off w/out the interest charges.

also, check out mint.com. you can create an account that will help you keep track of your spending and debt, and it gives great advice on how to meet financial goals/budgets on your own financial needs/goals.

hope this helps!

Weeks! Le sigh.

weeks?! So much for getting them out before April 1st. arg. well thanks for emailing her! I appreciate it!

Hoooray! I made it to caffeinated! I'm officially addicted to this forum :P

Edited by Skyfire

So, I told everyone that I wouldn't know until June so they wouldn't ask me about it. Thus, I am suffering alone except for the one or two friends who know I could get notice any day. Those friends are probably tired of hearing me whine. :)

Anyway, does anyone else have a really uncomfortable sense of trepidation whenever they look at the spreadsheet? I try to limit it to three times a day. Whenever I scroll down to my country, I'm not sure if I'll be more relieved to find out that other people have found out or if no one knows. I would be a nervous wreck knowing that other people received their letters and waiting the extra day or two to get mine.

Looking at the postmark dates on the spreadsheet, it seems like acceptance letters get sent out first and then rejection letters a few days later. Anyone know if this is true for all countries?

Interesting observation, but it appears that the postmark dates vary across the spectrum. Some countries send both at the same time. Some send a few days later. Some send a day later. Hard to quantify!

i am starting to regret having looked at least year's spreadsheet, because it suggests that Poland heard back by this time last year, but there is not enough data to really generalize.

what kind of grant are you waiting on?

I regret looking at the Polish section of last year's spread sheet, too!... :( I have to let my grad school know by the 15th of April. Has anyone heard anything?

Mgla: Which university in Wroclaw did you apply to? I was accepted to the University of Wroclaw's music program and their ethnography program for my project. Good luck to both of us!

I regret looking at the Polish section of last year's spread sheet, too!... :( I have to let my grad school know by the 15th of April. Has anyone heard anything?

Mgla: Which university in Wroclaw did you apply to? I was accepted to the University of Wroclaw's music program and their ethnography program for my project. Good luck to both of us!

I did not apply to a university; I would just be a visiting scholar around the Instytut Filologii. My project involves linguistic research of a type not done in Wrocław, but I would need lots of native Polish speakers to participate in my study and I have the most contacts in that city.

I also have to let my grad school know by April 15th. I promise to update as soon as I've heard something!

I did not apply to a university; I would just be a visiting scholar around the Instytut Filologii. My project involves linguistic research of a type not done in Wrocław, but I would need lots of native Polish speakers to participate in my study and I have the most contacts in that city.

I also have to let my grad school know by April 15th. I promise to update as soon as I've heard something!

Has anyone gotten in touch with a contact person for Poland as applicants have for other countries?

Has anyone gotten in touch with a contact person for Poland as applicants have for other countries?

the Poland rep is the same as the rest of Europe - Rachel Holskin, unless you mean reaching out directly to someone in the Polish Fulbright office specifically?

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/program_regions_countries.html?id=3