Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

So the Spain letters are out to ETAs for real?

So I'm going to spend eight hours in an intense panic all day?

Watch the rapid descent of an academic into his childhood self, curled up on a comfortable couch sucking his thumb.

Watch the rapid descent of an academic into his childhood self, curled up on a comfortable couch sucking his thumb.

Did they not send out e-mail notifications this year? I remember last year that they notified all of the Madrid ETAs by e-mail as soon as they mailed out the letters. Those that were placed in Valencia and Cantabria received their e-mails a bit later.

Yes readtiwin it is highly possible and maybe even likely. I sat on the alternate list for JET for a whole year. Don't make the same mistake I did. That year was hell because I didn't let it go. Do yourself a favor: let it go assume you've lost it And move on. Then if you get it, it'll be a pleasant surprise and if you don't then you're not hanging out in limbo for the next 6 months. Trust me when I say you don't want to do that to yourself.

Yes readtiwin it is highly possible and maybe even likely. I sat on the alternate list for JET for a whole year. Don't make the same mistake I did. That year was hell because I didn't let it go. Do yourself a favor: let it go assume you've lost it And move on. Then if you get it, it'll be a pleasant surprise and if you don't then you're not hanging out in limbo for the next 6 months. Trust me when I say you don't want to do that to yourself.

I second that.

That's a great idea and all, but I don't really have a back up plan, so I'll be sitting around anyway wondering what I did wrong, reapplying and waiting for another year...

That's a great idea and all, but I don't really have a back up plan, so I'll be sitting around anyway wondering what I did wrong, reapplying and waiting for another year...

Skyfire is right! Your plan now is to get a plan B! :huh:

You've made it this far, many others have not. You may be overlooking some great opportunities if you don't. Wish you the Best!

Did they not send out e-mail notifications this year? I remember last year that they notified all of the Madrid ETAs by e-mail as soon as they mailed out the letters. Those that were placed in Valencia and Cantabria received their e-mails a bit later.

Yes, I received my notification for a Spain ETA yesterday. I'm in the Philadelphia area. It looks like the letters were sent out on Friday. I did not receive an e-mail and the letter contains no information on placement. It does say either the Spanish omission or IIE will send more information soon.

South Africa compatriots,

I jumped the gun a bit and emailed Jermaine this morning. His reply was familiar:

"I hope to have the hard copy notification letters in the mail for you and the other recommended candidates for South Africa in the mail by the end of this week at the very latest.

Regards,

Jermaine"

I jumped the gun a bit and emailed Jermaine this morning. His reply was familiar:

"I hope to have the hard copy notification letters in the mail for you and the other recommended candidates for South Africa in the mail by the end of this week at the very latest.

Regards,

Jermaine"

Okay, so now all I have to do is find something else to distract me for the next week. I'd say it should be my honors thesis, which is due next Friday, except it's on the SAME TOPIC as my fulbright research would be. There's just no avoiding thinking about this!

Yeah, really. Has anyone asked/willing to ask Jonathan Akeley?

Hey guys, I applied for the ETA position in Taiwan. I am thinking the same thing right now. I have contacted Jonathan Akeley by phone and by email and he has not returned either one of them. I am extraordinarily anxious.

I am in Georgia. No mail yet. I think I am going to throw up sitting in class for the rest of the day. Yup, I feel it coming up. I am on edge!

Any thoughts on when we will hear?

No. I supposed we could email Rachel, but I hate to bother her, as I am sure she gets a million emails a day. Last year the Baltic States got notification on April 20th, so we may have a week yet before we hear anything.

No. I supposed we could email Rachel, but I hate to bother her, as I am sure she gets a million emails a day. Last year the Baltic States got notification on April 20th, so we may have a week yet before we hear anything.

Hi – which Baltic states? I'm waiting for my Montenegro ETA letter. Everyone else on my campus has heard, so I gave in and emailed Rachel this morning. She said letters "just went out last week."

Hope this helps / keeps a few obnoxious emails out of her box!

Hi – which Baltic states? I'm waiting for my Montenegro ETA letter. Everyone else on my campus has heard, so I gave in and emailed Rachel this morning. She said letters "just went out last week."

Hope this helps / keeps a few obnoxious emails out of her box!

Thanks. Could have just been Balkan notifications though. Hopefully the Baltics got in there too... Waiting game, I guess.

I tried giving Jonathan a call again this morning. I pressed the secretary a little bit and told her that he hadn't been responding to any communication and she said he was traveling last week. She said my best bet was still just to leave a message or try calling him throughout the day because he might actually be answering his phone for a brief period.

I'm getting extremely anxious because I have a job offer and they would seriously appreciate even a vague deadline on when I can tell them about the fulbright...

Regards,

Jermaine"

Boooo that means Friday. Which means we won't get it until Tuesday.