Received the acceptance phone call on Friday! Received $$. Decisions will post to the portal on Wednesday, 12/15.

If you haven’t received a call, don’t worry— they’re still contacting folks and I don’t believe they’ll get to everyone before Wednesday. Best of luck everyone! 

On 12/11/2021 at 4:22 AM, Silva said:

Has anyone outside the US been contacted with the outcome of their application yet? phone call? portal update?

I am not sure they will but I am getting super anxious looking at everyone getting calls. I am also an international applicants so idk ://

2 hours ago, Silva said:

Hey, I think we’re fine. Worst-case now in the Early action period will be a waitlist matter rejection.

My hypothesis is that they’re only common students that are based in America as in US, or North America within a similar time zone. I am from Europe, based in London and I know how much American policy schools Struggle to attract European students due to students preferring to study in Europe. So I’m very optimistic that this might be the reason that we don’t receive calls. Moreover, I recommend we check the portal at least once or twice daily.

For a rich school willing to give away millions and scholarships, let’s be able to afford international calls. Ha ha ha ha

Yes fair enough. Its just really enervating because we submitted more than 2 months ago and its silence since then. I guess having international applicants anxious is easier than spending a few bucks to call them ?

2 hours ago, Silva said:

Been refreshing my portal occasionally, in case. I was told we should hear back by the 15th.

Does anyone want to disclose the range amount of scholarship they received? please

Not super relevant but due to the timezones, 15th in the US is 16th noon here so I am all the more anxious ?

2 hours ago, Silva said:

Based on the 2o21 forum discussions, a few, but not all American applicants got calls, the rest of them and the other international applicants just received their update on the portal via email alert. So I'm just hoping things go well.

I only applied to Uchicago because I didn't want to do the GRE, I am very optimistic but if it doesn't go well Ill have to lash out a quick Duke MPP application over christmas period.

Though they aren't Chicago, you can also make the deadlines for Michigan (January 15th), Georgetown (January 15th), and CMU (January 10th). I know at least Michigan has the GRE marked as optional, which may be the case for the other two as well.

23 hours ago, anxiousaf said:

Not super relevant but due to the timezones, 15th in the US is 16th noon here so I am all the more anxious ?

You not the only one who's "anxiousaf" ? not like we'll be able to take a final decision before Mar/Apr but Chicago really sets the tone for what we can expect from other schools. Atleast that's how I see it. 

18 minutes ago, acacia27 said:

You not the only one who's "anxiousaf" ? not like we'll be able to take a final decision before Mar/Apr but Chicago really sets the tone for what we can expect from other schools. Atleast that's how I see it. 

Hahaha yes my username is very well thought out? And yes, it would at least start out on a positive note

1 hour ago, Silva said:

Admitted :) with 18-20k merit based scholarship (without GRE). I asked about Pearson Fellow and I was told that would be disclosed on the portal in a few hours.

Also, we can ask for reconsideration of scholarship in Feb, and use other offers and changes of circumstances to renegotiate for a very little top up of the merit based scholarship.

GOOD LUCK ALL

Cheers, bruv/gruh. Thanks for the update. Still haven't had any updates. Kinda freaking out.

Edited by GudduRangeela

8 hours ago, Silva said:

Admitted :) with 18-20k merit based scholarship (without GRE). I asked about Pearson Fellow and I was told that would be disclosed on the portal in a few hours.

Also, we can ask for reconsideration of scholarship in Feb, and use other offers and changes of circumstances to renegotiate for a very little top up of the merit based scholarship.

Congrats! That second bit is what I was curious about, but forgot to ask in all of my excitement.

Do you remember if the fellowships are something that we can apply for after we're admitted or is it something that's already set in stone?

8 minutes ago, Ľlllllllllllkll said:

I'm not sure. The letter was quite different from other waitlisting letters I read before... are they going to reconsider our application, in round 1?

Apparently. I guess they will reconsider our application in round one in comparison with the pool of applicants in that round. Either that or they want us to give them more information. Am glad they at least scheduled a webinar to help us out.

Congrats to everyone who got in! I applied for Round 1 and am awaiting results. Just received an email today to complete International Students Survey, and in the email they said that they are continuing to review applications and look forward to releasing decisions in December. Did other international students get that email? Not sure if that means that Round 1 decisions would be out as soon as end-Dec?

Edited by bryan888

A lot of it will depend on the type of living arrangements you’re gonna make. I’d guess rent and utilities will be around 1500+. If you’re gonna bring a car, that will be a factor as well. Food would be about 2-300 a month depending on how you play it. Then another 300 for just general things. I’m guessing around 2500 a month for me without the inclusion of tuition.

On 12/27/2021 at 4:54 PM, PedroTheNoun said:

A lot of it will depend on the type of living arrangements you’re gonna make. I’d guess rent and utilities will be around 1500+. If you’re gonna bring a car, that will be a factor as well. Food would be about 2-300 a month depending on how you play it. Then another 300 for just general things. I’m guessing around 2500 a month for me without the inclusion of tuition.

Hey! I just want to clear the air a bit because I was expecting similar high costs at first. Almost all Harris students I know (minus those in a studio) are living with 2-3 others and have a rent between $600 - $900. I have a fairly large apartment (two floors) with several others. We each have our own bathroom. We pay $850, wi-fi is included, and we have to pay a gas/electric bill that ends up totaling under $50 each a month due to the number of us. Most people who live in the official large residential buildings for grad students pay under $1k and rent/utilities are almost completely included. We live a short distance from campus but also in a low-cost area (south of campus - Hyde Park is more expensive)

I'm going to post the roommate spreadsheet from last year's cohort that we all shared. The ranges are well under what you all might be expecting - and almost everyone seems to be paying a rent within these ranges:

[Removed for the sake of keeping privacy]

I hope this helps. Not trying to downplay the expenses of living in the area... but it might seem more overwhelming than the reality. Good luck!

Edited by AdAstra2020