MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

6 minutes ago, Strawberrycat said:

They just did! Just got an interview request email! Thank you for updating us on the timeline throughout this process!

HELL YEAH!!! I really wish you well on that one. The UCSD campus is friggin rad, and living in San Diego can't be beat! If you end up in SD, go check out Chicano Park! You can tell all your UCSD buddies that you know the guy who did that Zapata sculpture.

I'm seriously SERIOUSLY excited for you. That one nice Mexican girl from the 2021 forums who did all the colorful stuff ended up at UCSD.

Seriously, San Diego life is a dream, and it's totally copacetic to creative thought and art. It's right next to L.A., Mexico, the Pacific Ocean, the desert, the mountains, and everything is beautiful. Balboa Park...

GO PADRES!!! ?

42 minutes ago, RyanV said:

I have my interview with them Tuesday, but it’s for photo which is a smaller dept than fine art. But should be soon!

I reached out to the graduate professor over Painting/Drawing program (my emphasis) today.  They haven't started on the Painting applications yet but will be diving into them and getting back to folks in the next few weeks.  Congrats on the interview!  I hope you get in!

2 hours ago, slickjaketheruler said:

Is anyone getting nervous that they won’t get in anywhere or be able to attend this coming year? This is my third time applying for MFA programs and the fact I’ve only had one interview with my number one school is making me feel like chances are just really slim for me this year for me.

I’m not sure what I’m going to do if I don’t get in. I’ve worked my ass off really hard this year to transition into this, so I’m starting to get paranoid that I’ll be heading back to my crappy job. 

Hey. I’m sorry for the feelings of anxiety and they’re totally understandable. 

I am feeling nervous too but for different (some similar) reasons. Someone that I admire very much and care about told me that these things are a two way street. We have to really want the school, and they really have to want us. It might sound a little defeatist, but I think it’s rational. I think it’s a super good thing that you got an interview with your number one program ? and it matters more than the others that come next. Maybe if it’s just the one, there’s not much chance for leveraging offers, but in the big picture it is pretty significant. It means you are a good fit for each other. And that’s what counts the most. Hang in there.. we are all buzzing with anxiety alongside you. 

He also said, “One can always try again and again, but there will always be a school that will take you ‘as you are’” and I think there is a lot of beauty and comfort in to be taken, as we are. 

24 minutes ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

HELL YEAH!!! I really wish you well on that one. The UCSD campus is friggin rad, and living in San Diego can't be beat! If you end up in SD, go check out Chicano Park! You can tell all your UCSD buddies that you know the guy who did that Zapata sculpture.

I'm seriously SERIOUSLY excited for you. That one nice Mexican girl from the 2021 forums who did all the colorful stuff ended up at UCSD.

Seriously, San Diego life is a dream, and it's totally copacetic to creative thought and art. It's right next to L.A., Mexico, the Pacific Ocean, the desert, the mountains, and everything is beautiful. Balboa Park...

GO PADRES!!! ?

Thanks very much! I'll be sure to check it out if I make it over there! I appreciate the encouragement. 

I remember her work was really cool. She found something really special using those banners as text in her pieces. 

Just finished my interview with USC. I think I did ok? The teachers are really nice and it was my first interview! I actually got more excited about USC after the interview.

Got rejected by Yale and still waiting on UCLA and Cranbrook.

I've been really getting impatient. But looking at you guys talking on here makes me feel a lot better. 

Also I just realised one of my recommender did not submit the recommendation letter for UCSD.... So maybe that's why I haven't heard from them.

18 minutes ago, Tammy SLena said:

Just finished my interview with USC. I think I did ok?

Also I just realised one of my recommender did not submit the recommendation letter for UCSD.

That happened with me at UCI as far as my recommender not sending my LOR in on time. I let UCI know what happened but haven't heard anything from them. If it was me I'd let my recommender know and then let UCSD know what happened ASAP.

Which professors are doing the interviews this year at USC? What did you like about the interview? Did it go long?

The USC interview was honestly pretty friendly. I believe the faculties doing the interview this year are Edgar Arceneaux, Patty Chang, Thomas Mueller, Ruben Ochoa, Sherin Guirguis, Mary Kelly, Keith Mayerson, Suzanne Lacy and Jennifer West. They seemed to be interested in my work and asked me questions about specific works. The whole interview was about 15 minutes. In the end they asked me what other schools I applied to and I never knew what is the purpose of that question hahaha.  

3 hours ago, 1800goodluck said:

Anyone have any news from UW Madison? They sent out interview requests last year around now but my inbox has been crickets so far. 

I'm waiting for Madison news too. Probably you saw that AncientQuail got a Madison printmaking interview request a couple weeks ago, and they reported that interviews would be finished by Feb 11 ?. Don't know if that's all Madison interviews or specific to printmaking. Anyhow I have no news ???.

56 minutes ago, Tammy SLena said:

I believe the faculties doing the interview this year are Edgar Arceneaux, Patty Chang, Thomas Mueller, Ruben Ochoa, Sherin Guirguis, Mary Kelly, Keith Mayerson, Suzanne Lacy and Jennifer West. They seemed to be interested in my work and asked me questions about specific works. The whole interview was about 15 minutes. In the end they asked me what other schools I applied to and I never knew what is the purpose of that question hahaha.  

That's cool. Which professors were the most talkative? Was there a professor that impressed you most during the interview? Were all the professors there for the interview? Which time-slot did you take? Would you mind sharing a link to your artwork? Will you be attending USC?

31 minutes ago, annaconda said:

I'm waiting for Madison news too. Probably you saw that AncientQuail got a Madison printmaking interview request a couple weeks ago, and they reported that interviews would be finished by Feb 11 ?. Don't know if that's all Madison interviews or specific to printmaking. Anyhow I have no news ???.

I’m waiting for painting so holding out hope that the painting dept hasn’t gotten to them yet maybe?? I was rejected feb 15th last year. 

On 2/2/2022 at 5:51 AM, AncientQuail said:

just got an email about scheduling a specific date for my UW printmaking interview. can confirm that interviews started happening this week and will wrap up on Feb 11. 

Hi AncientQuail :) Congrats on your Madison interview!!! I want one lol ?.  When you said that interviews finish by Feb 11, do you know if that applies to all Madison interviews or only printmaking? 

32 minutes ago, 1800goodluck said:

I’m waiting for painting so holding out hope that the painting dept hasn’t gotten to them yet maybe?? I was rejected feb 15th last year. 

I'm also hoping that the painting department is just running behind! ?  Either way I admire your strength and determination in trying again for round three! This is my first round, and I'm amazed that people go through this year after year. Not sure if I'll be that strong ?

Edited by annaconda

Hi everyone,  I've been going crazy checking for interview requests from schools so I thought I would let other people know what was up. I was also invited to interview at UW Madison and from what the faculty told me, I think all departments wrap up interviews by the 11th, to give the administration candidate names by the 14th. There are always exceptions though, so don't give up hope!

Also, my friend got his interview at VCU Sculpture yesterday, so I guess those emails have started going out as well. 

Best of luck to all of you! We'll get through this together! ☺️

58 minutes ago, chunkeymonkey said:

I was also invited to interview at UW Madison and from what the faculty told me, I think all departments wrap up interviews by the 11th, to give the administration candidate names by the 14th.

Howdy! Thanks for this info. Can I ask what department you are interviewing for?