MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

8 minutes ago, Frank14 said:

Just got an offer to Colorado State University-painting! They offered me a graduate teaching assistantship in my second year and I guess living in Utah qualifies me for an in-state tuition program they have.

I'm waiting to hear back from MICA after my second interview with them and I have an interview tomorrow with San Francisco State University so I'm like ah!! What to do! ? CSU wants me to let them know by the end of Feb (like a week from now) and I haven't even heard back from UCI, VCU or University of Montana lol

Congrats! And I'd ask for an extension if you are interested in going there, but your choice may be different depending on what happens with the rest of your interviews. 

7 minutes ago, Strawberrycat said:

Congrats! And I'd ask for an extension if you are interested in going there, but your choice may be different depending on what happens with the rest of your interviews. 

Thank you! That's good thinking to ask for an extension, we'll see what happens this week and if there are any developments! ?

27 minutes ago, oli_czhang said:

Just got an invitation for interview from MassArt. I'm going to have 2 interviews on Thursday. Panicking. 

Also anyone heard from Pratt sculpture yet?

I just had an interview with MassArt for photo. It was slightly less than half an hour, and kinda chaotic. There were three professors and two students, but the students didn't say much. They had me give a slideshow of my portfolio over zoom. Apparently the image quality over zoom was way better than the portfolio viewer they used for our applications. It was hard to keep track of the questions they were asking while advancing my slides. 

Once the professors warmed up to me, they started making some sassy comments. Overall though it was a fun and conversational interview.

13 minutes ago, lamat said:

I just had an interview with MassArt for photo. It was slightly less than half an hour, and kinda chaotic. There were three professors and two students, but the students didn't say much. They had me give a slideshow of my portfolio over zoom. Apparently the image quality over zoom was way better than the portfolio viewer they used for our applications. It was hard to keep track of the questions they were asking while advancing my slides. 

Once the professors warmed up to me, they started making some sassy comments. Overall though it was a fun and conversational interview.

Wow that was really chaotic…. Thank you for the heads up! I will be making (a lot of) mental preparations till Thursday. 

I interviewed with NYU studio art today-- curious if anyone else did and how it went? I think mine went well, it was fairly conversational. 

has anyone interviewed with or received an update from Columbia, Stony Brook or Purchase for Studio/Visual Art?

2 hours ago, HJAn said:

I just got an offer from RISD! I'm still waiting on other schools, but at least knowing I was accepted to one of my top choices is a huge relief. (I don't think I can bare to go through this process again)

Hope everyone gets some good news soon!

Congratulations! Are you comfortable sharing with us what scholarships or financial aid awards you received with RISD? I am curious if their financial aid practices have changed from previous years. Thank you.

1 hour ago, eatyoveggies said:

Anyone else out there apply to Georgia State?? I was waitlisted today after my interview on Sunday. Didn't think it went the best, it was very formal. Ah well.

Also wondering if anyone has heard from Indiana, Arizona State, or UNC Greensboro. This wait is killing me... At least GSU made a decision quickly...ahhhh

I wish every school was this communicative and prompt.

17 hours ago, Strawberrycat said:

My interview was the same, except they had me show a few pieces instead of one, like I expected. Not sure what that means. Congrats on your UCLA acceptance btw!! 

Thank you! I hope you receive a great offer from UCSD. (I prepared only 1 work to show because that was what was stated in the email instructions... hmm I don't think it meant anything.)

I saw a lot of posts a few days ago about VCU. I am currently a post-bacc there and thought I would share what I know because it seems like a lot of people are waiting to hear from them. When I was offered admission (I believe before they had conducted any interviews because I am a post-bacc and because it was an informal call from my current prof to let me know, nothing official) they told me that the school had not confirmed funding yet for the year and was running behind schedule. I think maybe some or all departments are waiting to hear back on that before sending out acceptances. They said they should know in about three weeks what the funding would be and this was about two weeks ago. I have no idea if this is why they haven't sent anything out yet but it seems like it could be why so don't lose hope if you're waiting to hear!

I just found this forum today and read all of the posts seeking information on the programs I applied to, it seems that I am freaking out alongside a lot of y'all. I am proud to see so many of you swinging for the prestigious schools! I applied to 7 schools for photo, which unfortunately appears to be somewhat vast in this forum but hey, that's alright! This is my 2nd time going through the process; my first time was during my senior year in 2020. My professors at the time advised me that there are plenty of programs that immediately decline students straight out of their undergrad, I was stubborn and still got into 2/6 schools, which brought immense joy. They had reached out to me to interview and accepted within the first 2 weeks of February. I ended up declining both offers due to the rising of covid and other personal matters. To provide some HOPE to waitlisters, I declined my offers in early April, which I'm sure opened up some much needed windows to those still waiting.

This year, I applied to 7 schools and I feel like my anxiety is through the roof because I haven't been accepted to any yet. Since I am photo-based, the schools I chose were based off of location, so most of them are small, but their faculty/funding were priorities for me as well. Here is my list:

UArk

UNL

Notre Dame - Interview on 2/16

Utah State University

Boise

Washington State University

Central Washington University

If anyone else applied to these programs then I would love to hear from you! Feeling alone in this sucks

On 2/2/2022 at 9:15 AM, Jar_of_Mayonnaise said:

How the photo applicants in the room doing??

I applied to:

UArk, UConn, UW Madison, and Michigan State

and have heard nothing so far ?

I interviewed with Notre Dame, still crickets from 6 other schools including UArk

17 hours ago, Anxietyismymiddlename said:

Hey, I'm applying for MFA for the first time this year. I applied to RISD illustration MFA. I didn't get an interview call. Can I assume that I'm not going to get admitted?

same here, still waiting for interview from RISD Digital+Media while finding others already admitted. 

12 hours ago, eatyoveggies said:

Anyone else out there apply to Georgia State?? I was waitlisted today after my interview on Sunday. Didn't think it went the best, it was very formal. Ah well.

Also wondering if anyone has heard from Indiana, Arizona State, or UNC Greensboro. This wait is killing me... At least GSU made a decision quickly...ahhhh

I also had an interview for GSU but haven't received any decisions yet 

7 hours ago, DawkT said:

I just found this forum today and read all of the posts seeking information on the programs I applied to, it seems that I am freaking out alongside a lot of y'all. I am proud to see so many of you swinging for the prestigious schools! I applied to 7 schools for photo, which unfortunately appears to be somewhat vast in this forum but hey, that's alright! This is my 2nd time going through the process; my first time was during my senior year in 2020. My professors at the time advised me that there are plenty of programs that immediately decline students straight out of their undergrad, I was stubborn and still got into 2/6 schools, which brought immense joy. They had reached out to me to interview and accepted within the first 2 weeks of February. I ended up declining both offers due to the rising of covid and other personal matters. To provide some HOPE to waitlisters, I declined my offers in early April, which I'm sure opened up some much needed windows to those still waiting.

This year, I applied to 7 schools and I feel like my anxiety is through the roof because I haven't been accepted to any yet. Since I am photo-based, the schools I chose were based off of location, so most of them are small, but their faculty/funding were priorities for me as well. Here is my list:

UArk

UNL

Notre Dame - Interview on 2/16

Utah State University

Boise

Washington State University

Central Washington University

If anyone else applied to these programs then I would love to hear from you! Feeling alone in this sucks

I applied to UArk too! I really like their program but haven't heard back. Someone on here mentioned they interviewed in early feb, which makes me feel like it's an implied rejection for me