MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

2 hours ago, minidragonfly said:

Hi all, I just discovered this forum recently and wish I had seen it before even starting the application process. So much great advice (it's my first year applying, and I didn't decide until December that I would be trying to go to grad school so I had to scramble... I was only in my undergrad program for 2 years due to a change of major so I feel like an outsider/newbie/totally lost sometimes in the art academia world and grad school process).

Mostly deciding to comment to say I was invited to interview with Pratt printmaking today, hopefully this is helpful for someone to know. It looks like it's going to be with two faculty interviewers.

I'm super nervous... It's my second interview. My first was with SVA which went really well, and I was subsequently accepted into their Fine Arts program. My preference would be a printmaking specific program... but a school with a robust printmaking department could be alright. My work is sculptural and interdisciplinary but I fully ID as a printmaker and would like to focus on that and eventually teach printmaking.

I haven't heard anything from my top picks (RISD, VCU, Tyler...) so I'm assuming that's a rejection at this point. Does anyone have any insight into Pratt as a school for printmaking? 

Hey there! I went to Pratt for undergrad, and aside from taking 2 years of lithography and one year of screen printing, my "work study" job was being one of the techs for the print studios (I was very into printmaking as an undergrad). I worked alongside a lot of grad students as well. From my experience, and from visiting other print studios, Pratt has an extremely robust print studio layout. Giant screen printing room, very large litho stones with maybe 6 presses (?), intaglio studio, and a pretty big letter press studio. Many of the print faculty are master printers as well. I'm not sure if she's still there, but the studio manager at the time made prints for Louise Bourgeois (if you're into that), and one of the litho professors was like a litho freak, attended Tamarind and such. I can't necessarily speak to the grad program, or what life is like after grad school with jobs/teaching, but if you're looking for a school with great facilities Pratt definitely has them. 

Best of luck! 

Edited by Pickle95

18 hours ago, hellotothefuture said:

Thank you. 

Oh wow! that's quite competitive, I didn't know that. It means I should keep my hopes low :D What are your thoughts about their MFA program work quality? 

I think the work quality is decent, with such small cohorts the sample size is small so I feel like the competitiveness is severely lacking.

8 hours ago, hellotothefuture said:

Hey

thank you for telling all this stuff, it's really helpful.

Could you be comfortable telling about the interview results? Did you hear back from them?

I have not heard back from them, usually the MFA program coordinator is the one to reach out to students with the decisions and since some departments have not conducted their interviews yet, I assume everyone is still in the dark.

In terms of personal results, I feel like I was not prepared for some questions which caused me to stutter and question myself a bit. It was a hard interview for me, but I am prepared for whatever decision that they make.

Just now, DawkT said:

I have not heard back from them, usually the MFA program coordinator is the one to reach out to students with the decisions and since some departments have not conducted their interviews yet, I assume everyone is still in the dark.

In terms of personal results, I feel like I was not prepared for some questions which caused me to stutter and question myself a bit. It was a hard interview for me, but I am prepared for whatever decision that they make.

Yeah mine is today. Let's see.

I hope you get in and it works out for you. :) 

1 minute ago, hellotothefuture said:

That's exactly what I thought. But, I really like their Graduate Studio facilities. However, it's super expensive like insane $$$

Luckily they offer full tuition waivers and GA positions with a generous stipend to most (if not all) their MFA students!

Just now, DawkT said:

Luckily they offer full tuition waivers and GA positions with a generous stipend to most (if not all) their MFA students!

Wow! that's cool actually. Although, I am an international applicant and it would be different for me regarding tuition waiver and stuff. 

May be that is why they keep small class size. 

1 hour ago, ricecake said:

Already somebody can receive invitations today from Pratt…

I applied painting, but I haven’t heard anything yet…

Is there the possibility that there’s the difference in the timeline between American students and international students X( ?!

I am an international student and I  received mine.

Edited by whitewhales

Hi all, have been lurking and thought to make an account and post here. I applied to 5 nyc studio art programs and so far, I've done interviews for NYU Steinhardt and Parsons. Pratt is scheduled for next week. Got rejected from Hunter, and still have yet to hear from Columbia. 

I've only seen one person post about having gotten interview invitation for Columbia painting department and from looking at past years' posts, different departments send out invites at different times and are kinda late. That's to say I'm anxiously waiting to hear from moving image. Would love to hear if anyone else has received news from Columbia.

2 minutes ago, Squirrelboy said:

Hey! May I ask what program you applied to for Pratt?

Yeah of course, Integrated Practices. The interview invite email also said this: "If you do not wish to advance your application further, please let us know so we can redirect the invitation to another applicant." I don't know if anyone would reject an interview invite but there may be hope for those who haven't received one yet.

Where did the forum land on reaching out to schools that you haven't heard back from? Is anyone reaching out? It feels like it's been forever since I interviewed with some schools and others I haven't heard anything. 

Any advice? Maybe it looks good to reach out? Or do they find that annoying? 

4 minutes ago, nameless cat said:

Where did the forum land on reaching out to schools that you haven't heard back from? Is anyone reaching out? It feels like it's been forever since I interviewed with some schools and others I haven't heard anything. 

I reached out to 3 schools so far and got completely different results each time. The first was one I interviewed with- they were sooooo nice and thanked me for my patience and told me I would hear soon and that I was a "top tier applicant". 

The other two schools I emailed I hadn't interviewed with. One said they couldn't give out any info b/c each department had different processes and timelines. The other simply didn't respond lol.

I think its very common for people to reach out, so why not. As long as you just do it the once, I think it shows you are interested and invested. 

50 minutes ago, nameless cat said:

I don’t believe there is a right or wrong answer, but taking this as a survey I’d like to say that I don’t do any reaching out. I assume I am not accepted into a program until I am. I imagine that there are only two possible answers when you reach out: 1) they tell you to wait 2) they don’t answer. 
So far I have been accepted into 4 programs. In 3 of them, professors made contact with me after the interview and before the offer. In 1, I got the offer after 2 weeks of silence following the interview. 

Edited by seelamfa22

Updates! For some reason it's not letting me quote my original post so I'll give a quick recap: received BFA in painting in 2019, first time applying to MFA programs. Applied to: Ohio state (waitlist), Northwestern (rejected), Syracuse University (accepted), UConn (no updates), UW-Madison (no updates), Michigan State (no updates), University of Arkansas (interviewed, awaiting decision), RISD (accepted!!!!)

I posted last week that I had been accepted to Syracuse and was waiting on financial aid. A couple of days ago I was informed that I was awarded a 40% tuition scholarship. I asked about assistantships, they replied that students apply to assistantships after matriculating, which I feel makes it challenging for potential students to make informed decisions. 

Yesterday I received a very nice email from the painting program director at RISD saying I was accepted to the program, with a 25% tuition scholarship + TA income, but that the final financial aid details will be sent around March 1st with my official admissions offer. I've been informed by current students that TA income is 5,000 a year/2,500 a semester. Obviously this offer still leaves me with a significant bill, and I will look at appealing once the final details are sent out. Before my interview with RISD there was a Zoom lunch/Q & A with current grads and one of them stated that they were able to negotiate for a better offer- so I hope that will be the case. Regardless, I will probably accept because RISD is my top choice, I feel that it is the best fit for my work and ambitions. Also, my moving/housing expenses will be far less than some other folks because I already live pretty close by. If any other incoming RISD grads want to message me about Providence/the Providence area please feel free to do so. 

TLDR; I got into RISD! And will be living on instant noodles for the foreseeable future!

Has anyone heard back from UC Irvine?? I was accepted to CSU and wanted to try to reach someone at UC Irvine to get an update because they're my top choice and so far I haven't heard anything back, it's been a couple days and I'm sort of panicking because I'm supposed to let CSU know by next week ?