MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

2 hours ago, Frank14 said:

Has anyone heard back from UC Irvine?? I was accepted to CSU and wanted to try to reach someone at UC Irvine to get an update because they're my top choice and so far I haven't heard anything back, it's been a couple days and I'm sort of panicking because I'm supposed to let CSU know by next week ?

crickets from irvine... which CSU? Are you an OC local too? Also, I realized it was not u that made chicano art, so sorry about that confusion in my response to one of your earlier posts about MICA. 

2 hours ago, Frank14 said:

Has anyone heard back from UC Irvine?? I was accepted to CSU and wanted to try to reach someone at UC Irvine to get an update because they're my top choice and so far I haven't heard anything back, it's been a couple days and I'm sort of panicking because I'm supposed to let CSU know by next week ?

Nothing from UC Irvine yet, but I expect we'll hear soon. I think some schools having been saying by the beginning of March, but idk about them. 

7 hours ago, SurfsUp said:

Yeah of course, Integrated Practices. The interview invite email also said this: "If you do not wish to advance your application further, please let us know so we can redirect the invitation to another applicant." I don't know if anyone would reject an interview invite but there may be hope for those who haven't received one yet.

I've decided to withdraw my application from Pratt, so hopefully someone from this forum will get my spot! Good luck!

26 minutes ago, Strawberrycat said:

Sorry to hear it! If you wanna chat about it or the interview, feel free to message. 

I also got rejection from SAIC after interview (sculpture). Which sort of came as a surprise because I felt I the interview went way better than the other schools I interviewed at, where I got acceptances from. Goes to show you never know what to expect I guess.. ?‍♀️

On 2/24/2022 at 7:10 AM, DawkT said:

Congrats! I had an interview with Notre Dame for photography on 2/16 and it went okay-ish. If the same questions are used department wide, they will ask: introduce yourself and tell us about who you are, can you explain the work you make and why you make it, are you comfortable in a research based environment, how do you think your work will change or will it stay the same, who are your inspirations.

They notified me that every medium only accepts 1 student and the program is extremely research-based. So good luck!!

Hey I just had an interview with Notre Dame MFA  department. They really liked my work but I guess I could have done a better job at the interview as I got quite overwhelmed and messed up a bit. 

They said they'll get back most probably on Monday. 

Im not sure, the University emailed me for the interview and wrote "Congratulations on your selection as a finalist from such a diverse and talented pool of applicants, we look forward to speaking with you." 

Now they said after the interview that they'll get back to me if I got selected as they are still narrowing down the candidates.

Did they change their mind after my interview? ;( 

7 minutes ago, HJAn said:

I also got rejection from SAIC after interview (sculpture). Which sort of came as a surprise because I felt I the interview went way better than the other schools I interviewed at, where I got acceptances from. Goes to show you never know what to expect I guess.. ?‍♀️

Sorry to hear that! Yeah, you really never know. My interview with them felt a little off, despite them saying some positive things about my work, so I'm not super surprised for myself. I think, too, with only interviewing with 2 out of so many faculty, part of it can really depend on who you end up interviewing with and who is pushy about who getting in. There are a lot of factors. It does make me nervous about other places, though. They're the first I've heard from post-interview. 

2 hours ago, starcrumbz said:

crickets from irvine... which CSU? Are you an OC local too? Also, I realized it was not u that made chicano art, so sorry about that confusion in my response to one of your earlier posts about MICA. 

No worries at all! On that note I've kind of considered removing MICA from the running, to me it just doesn't make sense financially ? 

At least most people have heard crickets so far! That makes me hopeful I haven't been completely removed from the running ?

10 hours ago, SurfsUp said:

Hi all, have been lurking and thought to make an account and post here. I applied to 5 nyc studio art programs and so far, I've done interviews for NYU Steinhardt and Parsons. Pratt is scheduled for next week. Got rejected from Hunter, and still have yet to hear from Columbia. 

I've only seen one person post about having gotten interview invitation for Columbia painting department and from looking at past years' posts, different departments send out invites at different times and are kinda late. That's to say I'm anxiously waiting to hear from moving image. Would love to hear if anyone else has received news from Columbia.

Received an interview invite for moving image last week

3 hours ago, Strawberrycat said:

Sorry to hear that! Yeah, you really never know. My interview with them felt a little off, despite them saying some positive things about my work, so I'm not super surprised for myself. I think, too, with only interviewing with 2 out of so many faculty, part of it can really depend on who you end up interviewing with and who is pushy about who getting in. There are a lot of factors. It does make me nervous about other places, though. They're the first I've heard from post-interview. 

Yeah, I was surprised to find out the day of the interview that the faculty would be simultaneously interviewing so many students. I think most of my other interviews, it was the director of the program along with some other faculty interviewing everyone. Also, SAIC by far has the biggest class size (about 20 for sculpture alone), so in a way I expected better chance than some of the more smaller programs that only admit like 5 students lol. 

Anyways, I'm sure you'll get some good news soon! Best of luck!

12 hours ago, SurfsUp said:

Hi all, have been lurking and thought to make an account and post here. I applied to 5 nyc studio art programs and so far, I've done interviews for NYU Steinhardt and Parsons. Pratt is scheduled for next week. Got rejected from Hunter, and still have yet to hear from Columbia. 

I've only seen one person post about having gotten interview invitation for Columbia painting department and from looking at past years' posts, different departments send out invites at different times and are kinda late. That's to say I'm anxiously waiting to hear from moving image. Would love to hear if anyone else has received news from Columbia.

I interviewed with Columbia Tuesday for Photography, it was a lightning round interview 10 questions with exactly 20 minutes. I was left with 2 minutes to ask about the program. They said it would be in the coming weeks to hear back. I hope weeks means soon ??

3 minutes ago, RyanV said:

I interviewed with Columbia Tuesday for Photography, it was a lightning round interview 10 questions with exactly 20 minutes. I was left with 2 minutes to ask about the program. They said it would be in the coming weeks to hear back. I hope weeks means soon ??

I keep feeling like broken record but... anyone heard from Columbia's Sculpture program? It seems just about every other departments sent out interviews but sculpture...

1 hour ago, AncientQuail said:

ranked fourth on the waitlist for printmaking at UW-Madison

Hm well that's better than most of us!! lol Will you hold out for that or go for Minnesota? And RISD financial confusion... you have lots to think about. I feel brain explosion for you but also happy that you have options!! 

Do the evaluators actually read the SOPs and descriptions for the pieces in the portfolio? I wonder how they evaluate. I had heavy descriptions for my pieces and I feel that might've been a drawback. Any thoughts on this?

On 2/25/2022 at 4:03 AM, HJAn said:

I actually got interview invite for Pratt integrated media earlier today. Which came as a surprise since I made a mistake when editing my SOP for Pratt and forgot to remove another school's name....and I realized my mistake after I already submitted. Perhaps they didn't ready it at all? LOL ?

well if they didn't read it yet, they probably will now...