MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

On 2/22/2022 at 6:08 PM, mfadoom said:

Anyone hear anything from Bard yet?

I got an interview from Bard on the 17th, and interview is on 5th March. Super nervous about Bard as a general concept because I've heard conflicting things + also an intl student.

Best of luck!

I reached out to the University of Montana (applied for the painting program) just to see where they're at with things because Colorado State wants me to let them know whether or not I'm accepting their offer this week and found out I'm in the first position on the waitlist which I was surprised by!

She said I have a high chance of getting accepted but I like the professor's work from CSU more so than I do from UM. Montana would definitely be a cheaper place to live though! Does it matter how much you like the professor's work you'd be learning under? That's been a huge factor so far for me in deciding where to go but I'm wondering if it actually matters?

1 hour ago, Frank14 said:

I reached out to the University of Montana (applied for the painting program) just to see where they're at with things because Colorado State wants me to let them know whether or not I'm accepting their offer this week and found out I'm in the first position on the waitlist which I was surprised by!

She said I have a high chance of getting accepted but I like the professor's work from CSU more so than I do from UM. Montana would definitely be a cheaper place to live though! Does it matter how much you like the professor's work you'd be learning under? That's been a huge factor so far for me in deciding where to go but I'm wondering if it actually matters?

I'm not sure what to think about this exactly myself, but have you had a chance to talk with any of the professors from either school besides during your interviews? I think talking with them and seeing if you click and feel comfortable is really important too, maybe moreso than liking their work exactly. I think what I try to see is if I like their thinking or the themes they're working with and the manner in which they talk about art (or anything else too), even if their work isn't my favorite or doesn't necessarily seem related to mine in obvious ways. 

I'd also consider where you'd like your connections to be. Do you want more ties to people in Colorado or to Montana? 

1 hour ago, Strawberrycat said:

I'm not sure what to think about this exactly myself, but have you had a chance to talk with any of the professors from either school besides during your interviews? I think talking with them and seeing if you click and feel comfortable is really important too, maybe moreso than liking their work exactly. I think what I try to see is if I like their thinking or the themes they're working with and the manner in which they talk about art (or anything else too), even if their work isn't my favorite or doesn't necessarily seem related to mine in obvious ways. 

I'd also consider where you'd like your connections to be. Do you want more ties to people in Colorado or to Montana? 

Those are good points!! And good questions ? Honestly none of it matters if I get into UCI (that's my top choice) but we will see what this week holds! I bet a lot of people in this forum are going to get responses this week!

55 minutes ago, Frank14 said:

Those are good points!! And good questions ? Honestly none of it matters if I get into UCI (that's my top choice) but we will see what this week holds! I bet a lot of people in this forum are going to get responses this week!

Good luck!! Yeah, I think it's the calm before the storm for a lot of us. ??

7 hours ago, kukuba said:

Has anyone,,got an interview invitation from Columbia-expanded practice/sculpture? Should I assume by this time that it’s a rejection..?

Hey! I applied to this department as well,still haven't heard anything back.. let's see . every university seems to be following a different timeline and plan  

12 hours ago, Frank14 said:

Side note: You can always ask for an extension on their offer so that you have more time to let offers come in. A lot of times schools put that deadline in place to try and get more competitive students. I’ve never had any backlash asking for more time to see if other offers come in.

5 hours ago, Mfanymph22 said:

Hey! I applied to this department as well,still haven't heard anything back.. let's see . every university seems to be following a different timeline and plan  

Ahh..no other choice but to wait ..thanks for informing I will update my information if there is any changes.
Fingers crossed for both of us!

@Frank14 If it's of any use to you: I live in Missoula and did some of my undergrad in the art department here (earlier in the 2000's). Missoula is a great town but a lot of people are being priced out of their homes. Rentals are scarce and ridiculously expensive unless you're willing to share with several people or live in graduate student housing -- but the scarcity is the real problem. I've lived here off and on for 20 years and I'm looking to leave again, probably permanently, because of the housing situation.

I guess housing is no fun anywhere right now.  BUT the art building is great, the studios are bright, and the views cannot be beat.

Hi All - I've been lurking for a month or so and I want to add my information here. I really appreciate everything I'm learning in this forum and I think I'll be better prepared when I apply again next year, which I'm sure at this point is an inevitability. I'm a painter and I've applied to:

UCLA (dream program)

Boston University (next dream program, because of the visual narrative representation)

USC

Tyler (started my undergrad there long ago)

University at Buffalo

Columbia

University of Washington

I heard nothing so far and I'm not super surprised. I've been out of the art loop for a while because I've been working to support my family. I've kept in casual practice with my painting but nothing intense enough to warrant a clearly representative body of work. My life circumstances changed enough that I can re-devote myself to my work.

I'm an army veteran and deployed to Iraq during my time - are there any other veterans here?

Thanks to all of you for your contributions here, and best of luck to you.

46 minutes ago, mfadoom said:

I applied to RISD, Bard, Columbia, and Yale for painting and have gotten no interview requests from any! So I’m assuming 4/4 rejections. Any words of encouragement for my crushing rejection would be appreciated.

Hey, you haven't heard back yet so you can't be sure! Also mfadoom is a great handle.

If anyone are interested:

U-Florida: has interviews ,currently professor are still reviewing applications, needs 1-2 weeks to send out interview information. 

SVA:  Applicants who have completed the application will be emailed an admissions decision by March 15, 2022.

Pratt: Final decision will be made at March.

22 hours ago, kukuba said:

Has anyone,,got an interview invitation from Columbia-expanded practice/sculpture? Should I assume by this time that it’s a rejection..?

I have an interview with Columbia Painting on march 12th if that helps. They initially reached out to me 2/15 and contacted me again for scheduling about 10 days later. 

Also those of you who are waiting for Pratt interviews, I just received an email today for painting. 

Edited by chewythecat

18 hours ago, mfaer said:

UCLA photo applicant here! I have not heard anything at all and I know several people who have applied and also have heard nothing. So confusing!! I heard in the past March 15th ish is when rejection notifications are sent. 

Yeah I emailed asking and all they said was "notifications are sent mid-march" so not much. A bit sad lol. Also made a UCLA photo forum incase anyone hears back. 

1 hour ago, KougamiAkane said:

If anyone are interested:

U-Florida: has interviews ,currently professor are still reviewing applications, needs 1-2 weeks to send out interview information. 

SVA:  Applicants who have completed the application will be emailed an admissions decision by March 15, 2022.

Pratt: Final decision will be made at March.

Thank you! I was wondering when UF was going to let people know about interviews. They gave me a super vague answer when I asked about that a while ago, so it’s nice to hear a more solid timeline

On 2/14/2022 at 5:04 AM, Hjuoollpphhfcvn said:

Mines on the 27!! Please let me know how yours goes!!! 

Sorry I replied late. I don't feel very well on my interview :( I was having a serious cold and the interview time was after midnight, which is really late for me. So I was feeling quite dizzy when I was interviewing and stuck for several questions... Not feeling very good anyway, but I hope your interview went well!

Hi everyone!! I wanted to introduce myself :) I applied to art/design programs that combine art and technology/experience. I'm applied out of my undergrad program (currently at Stanford, happy to answer questions about the art programs!) studying design and engineering.

Schools I've applied to: RISD Digital + Media, Royal College of Art IED, NYU ITP, Central Saint Martins, MIT Media Lab, UCL Bartlett

So far, I've gotten offers from RISD and RCA (which I'm so excited about) and still waiting to hear back from the other programs. Do y'all know anyone else who has been accepted to these programs/schools? I'd love to get to know everyone better