MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

5 hours ago, Eric from America said:

@blueviolet @Frank14 @artcat Yeah, that timing sounds right. I graduated from VCU's MFA program last year. My department always (or at least every year I know of) had some current student(s) in on the interviews. Last year those interviews were Feb. 16 to 19. Things could be different from department to department and year too year, of course. When I interviewed I was invited to the interview on Feb 6, and I interviewed on Feb. 11. I hope that helps.

Great to see this forum full of activity! It's good to see some people reporting good news. Good luck everyone.

That's really good to know, thank you!! Seems like it could be any day now, at least we'll know soon. 

5 hours ago, tomatoriot said:

I just got an interview for University of Iowa printmaking for this Wednesday. 

Sweet relief!

Great! I went Iowa for undergraduate, if you have anything want to know feel free to DM me. But I can't really speak about the program- the only thing I could say is my roommate loved the printmaking course they offered for non-major.

On 1/27/2022 at 5:43 AM, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

Maceo is over at the Chicano Studie Department at UC Davis. He's pretty cool. We don't really hang out, we just run in the same circles. Plus, his dad and mine had beef since like the 1960's, LOL! Old Chicanos were crazy. I peeped your Davis painting, online. I haven't gone by the joint but yeah, it's tight! I can't find your Woodland piece, online. Can you post pix or a link?

I hope you get into the MFA program because we really need more prolific and Masters Level Chicana Artists doing big artwork in the public gallery for the kids and abuelitas and varrios. There's so much of us men, too many, and a lot of the guys aren't even that good. Not to be mean, but I've seen some very crummy Chicano "Arte" out there. Too many Dia de los Muertos, Aztec Warrior, Pachuco/macho stuff. Chicano Arte has become very stereotypical. We need some fresh new ideas from some pros, some LADY PROS!!! ?

I'm hanging out with my artista homegirl Marbella, and also Esteban Villa, this weekend. Esteban created the RCAF with Maseo's pop. Esteban is a living legend in Chicano Arte. I'll post you some pictures! ?

pachuco.gif

Hey dude. Thanks for the nice comments. I’ve been running around and forgot to share. BTW, I’m a man ? i just used that drawing as a profile pic because it’s a portrait  I’m working on and I like how it’s looking. Here’s a pic of the mural I did in Davis. Cheers ✌?

E6EFAC42-181D-4EBD-A25B-9B39499C6087.jpeg

Interviewed with UMASS Dartmouth. it seemed to go well, though even with my preparation it seemed difficult to talk about transferring (since I am presently in a different MFA program). I don't know anyone else who has done this in grad school so it's sort of uncharted territory.

I have still not heard back from Tyler at Temple, SUNY Purchase, or UCONN. fingers crossed!

Just now, beeebeeeebeebeebo said:

Interviewed with UMASS Dartmouth. it seemed to go well, though even with my preparation it seemed difficult to talk about transferring (since I am presently in a different MFA program). I don't know anyone else who has done this in grad school so it's sort of uncharted territory.

I have still not heard back from Tyler at Temple, SUNY Purchase, or UCONN. fingers crossed!

Just finished mine right before yours I think. Mine was 2 hours ago. Did you interview with the painting/drawing faculty member? They are so so sweet and chill. I loved the energy. 

7 minutes ago, whitewhales said:

Just finished mine right before yours I think. Mine was 2 hours ago. Did you interview with the painting/drawing faculty member? They are so so sweet and chill. I loved the energy. 

Yes, I got to speak with one of the faculty. I was very appreciative of the conversational style- it was more like getting to meet somebody new, versus being analyzed by a bunch of strangers, like how some interviews can feel.

1 minute ago, beeebeeeebeebeebo said:

Yes, I got to speak with one of the faculty. I was very appreciative of the conversational style- it was more like getting to meet somebody new, versus being analyzed by a bunch of strangers, like how some interviews can feel.

It was my first grad interview ever so I feel so grateful for that ? 

I hope your transfer works out, I feel like their 3 year MFA track could accommodate that somehow??? 

20 hours ago, Frank14 said:

That's really good to know, thank you!! Seems like it could be any day now, at least we'll know soon. 

Just got the call! Accepted to VCU Craft and Material Studies (ceramics). I was surprised there was no interview as I know they have done them in past years. Maybe because I am a post-bacc already they decided to skip it?

Hello,

This has been a great forum. I think it's my turn to ask for some advice.

I have socially anxious tendencies, which have been exacerbated by the pandemic. I'm realizing they may be hindering my application process. I know I can't be alone here.

I applied to programs for the first time in 2021 (Hunter, NYU, and Columbia for painting). I didn't get accepted anywhere. I was going to try again for 2022, but decided instead to spend the year developing my work and becoming a stronger candidate. I've learned a lot since then and now see that I may be fumbling some crucial steps because I get nervous about the parts that involve other people.

Reaching out to programs in advance so they have some familiarity with me - This is a big one and the topic I'd really appreciate advice on. I only reached out to Hunter in advance and never got a response. I emailed the head of the painting dept, which feels silly now. I don't know where to begin with this. I know there are people at the programs specifically for this purpose. How do I go about connecting with people/faculty at schools and who should I reach out too? Is there anyone that would want to look at my portfolio in advance and get to know me beyond answering generic inquiries? I'm interested in Yale, UCLA, Hunter, Rutgers, CalArts, and Columbia. When is a good time to start doing this?

Rec letters - It took me years to apply the first time because I got really hung up thinking about this. I can naturally develop good relationships w/ instructors at first, but after a while, once I start getting individual attention from someone I admire, I get nervous about disappointing them and retreat. I know a lot of this is in my head, but it stresses me out. 

Statement - I only shared my statement with my sister and my closest friend. Neither of whom are visual artists. How do I get solid feedback on this part of the app?

Halp. Thank you very much.

I just had my interview with MICA (Mount Royal) this morning! It was stressful!! Haha and only 15 minutes long. My interviewer got right down to business and asked why I want to go to grad school and asked some clarifying questions about my artist statement. I wonder how long it will take to hear back and haven't heard anything from my other programs: 

University of Montana 

Colorado State 

UCI 

Cal State SF

VCU 

49 minutes ago, sunflowertime said:

Hello,

This has been a great forum. I think it's my turn to ask for some advice.

I have socially anxious tendencies, which have been exacerbated by the pandemic. I'm realizing they may be hindering my application process. I know I can't be alone here.

I applied to programs for the first time in 2021 (Hunter, NYU, and Columbia for painting). I didn't get accepted anywhere. I was going to try again for 2022, but decided instead to spend the year developing my work and becoming a stronger candidate. I've learned a lot since then and now see that I may be fumbling some crucial steps because I get nervous about the parts that involve other people.

Reaching out to programs in advance so they have some familiarity with me - This is a big one and the topic I'd really appreciate advice on. I only reached out to Hunter in advance and never got a response. I emailed the head of the painting dept, which feels silly now. I don't know where to begin with this. I know there are people at the programs specifically for this purpose. How do I go about connecting with people/faculty at schools and who should I reach out too? Is there anyone that would want to look at my portfolio in advance and get to know me beyond answering generic inquiries? I'm interested in Yale, UCLA, Hunter, Rutgers, CalArts, and Columbia. When is a good time to start doing this?

Rec letters - It took me years to apply the first time because I got really hung up thinking about this. I can naturally develop good relationships w/ instructors at first, but after a while, once I start getting individual attention from someone I admire, I get nervous about disappointing them and retreat. I know a lot of this is in my head, but it stresses me out. 

Statement - I only shared my statement with my sister and my closest friend. Neither of whom are visual artists. How do I get solid feedback on this part of the app?

Halp. Thank you very much.

i think if you live in a city, you should get involved in community of artist surrounding you. for example go to shows and be friendly. and look for some kind of work in galleries or otherwise art related if you can. maybe you could try reaching out to past teachers youve had for advice? 

i also don't really think forming relationships out of the blue via email is likely to produce much. ive seen this advice before and maybe someone has experience that indicates otherwise, but i would imagine, that a lot of these professors at the big schools you mentioned have a lot to deal with as is, and just don't really have time for random emails.

IF youre going to do something like that, I would pick a teacher whose work you admire in some way and work the conversation out of an interest in art, but looking for advice in a kind of teacher student dichotomy. And I would think about the time of year you send the email, are they busy with finals or whatever else.

wrt to dialing in your artist statement - i would read statements from artists you look up to. maybe look for artists whose content is circulating around similar ideas to your own and see what they had to say.

good luck!