MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

24 minutes ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

I found it. It was right on the Stanford MFA page. It starts tonight at 5pm through 6:30pm. You had to sign up. We missed the first one, unfortunately. And I think we were supposed to sign up for this session the day before, because I signed up for it today, twice, and never received a Zoom link. Maybe they will send it at the last minute?

Dang it.

Stanford MFA Art Practice Info Session II

Oh shoot! Sorry guys, I didn't see the notifications until now, but I'm glad you found it!! I'll reply to your other comment later when I have time to thoroughly. 

2 hours ago, Strawberrycat said:

Oh shoot! Sorry guys, I didn't see the notifications until now, but I'm glad you found it!! I'll reply to your other comment later when I have time to thoroughly. 

Oh-Fasho, Strawberrycat! Looking forward to your point of view and perspective.

Did anyone else on the forum attend the Stanford MFA Program meet and greet? If so, what did you think?

I've been advised by two Stanford graduates that I would fit in to Stanford pretty well, but as a Southern Californian, the Bay Area feels REALLY cold and rainy and overcast. I live in Sacramento right now, which gets HOT AF! The highest recorded temperature in Sacramento is a million degrees... Literally 1,000,000 degrees, I'm not even joking. Sacramento California is regarded as the hottest place in the known universe.

I can deal with heat better than cold, tho. For reference, the coldest recorded place in the known universe is directly in front of the glare of my ex-wife's eyes when she was aiming her chancla at me for staying out too late drinking beer with the homies and not calling home.

I was kinda on the fence, but after meeting with some of the Stanford Faculty, (Paul Demarinis, Gail Wright, etc...), and hearing from current MFA Candidates the potential applicants, I feel pretty good about Stanford as an option and I'm definitely going to apply there.

The application due date is December 1st.

19 hours ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

What a great quote, Strawberrycat!!! (I like your name because I'm one of those crazy cat people that if I was rich I would live in a giant home filled only with stinky cats.) But you're right, and I feel stupid for making that "second best" comment. This past year of writing applications has messed around with my head and made me question so many things in art as to whether or not I even want to be in an art world with so many superficial critics and non-artists that I already deal with on a weekly basis, instead of just being an independent artist, which I enjoy. I've never really felt as jaded as I do right now about the art world until I felt like I was in competition with other decent artists for an MFA program that so many of us are worthy of being in. It isn't healthy. As a matter of fact, It's actively unhealthy.

I've read up a lot on the MFA selection process and have spoken to legit friends of mine who are professors at the university level, (I'm an older student, NOT THAT MUCH OLDER,THO)!!! From what I can tell, the faculty tends to want to cultivate a candidate that makes the department look good, or elevated, or seem social justice oriented. They want people who can shock, or be politically obnoxious, or be rock-stars, because the fact of the matter is that skilled artists aren't special and are a dime a dozen. MFA programs seem to want the "bleeding edge," in lieu of competent creatives.

From my perspective, a lot of the art coming from the MFA programs at "good schools" is so phony, especially with Postmodernism still being all trendy after so many decades. Like, I've noticed that TONS of these art professors don't even create anything I consider to be artistic, and what they DO create reminds me of the mentality of that kid named Malachi who sat in the back of the class, ate paste, and picked his scabs just to be annoying.

Everything is art, right? Or... nothing is art or some boring hidden riddle. "Oh look, I just threw a bunch of rubbish in the corner to make an artistic statement." Dumb, boring, and tired. The Fluxus already did that in the 60s, and the Dada before that... Everyone's done it. I'd like to see artistic exceptionalism in more schools, like the Greeks did, instead of "experimentation." That should be done in the garage at home when I'm drunk. (AGAIN, not criticizing others, just making clear what I'm about). I love ALL art, period.

I'm already successful at art, it's how I pay my bills and what I do. I don't need an MFA to create things or to make money or be on the bleeding edge. What I want to do the MOST, is to earn a degree from a big-shot institution so I can teach at a Chicano or inner-city school to thug kids like I was at their age as so they can get down with someone who came from the varrio, got in trouble, but still went on to do big things. I want youth to do it for themselves and their families. I want to be the dude that young creative punks can identify with and be artistic with, instead of messing up on the street and getting in trouble.

The funding they were offering at USC for NON-fellowship people wasn't even existent for the first year. Nothing at all. I didn't know we needed to apply for several programs to be competitive, so I only applied to where I wanted to go, USC. But the funding even sucks for fellowship people??? Yeeesh... That's super lame because the endowment per year for USC is like seven billion... SEVEN BILLION... $7,000,000,000... A seven followed by NINE ZEROS, dollars... SEVEN TOIUSAND MILLIONS!!! Yet they can't commit to giving MFA candidates a decent tuition boost? Something is very seriously wrong with that, and I'm really sorry that they didn't hook you up because it seems like you deserved it.

I bet you a cool ONE HUNDRED pesos that you get the program you want, this round. I hope you do! ?

It really is such a weird and vulnerable experience to have to suddenly figure out where we stand next to all of these other, sometimes invisible, people, so I get it. It's definitely made me feel a whole lot of different nerves and doubts and levels of being jaded. The application process takes a really big toll (on me, at least) emotionally and mentally, so I'm really hoping this will be the last round that I have to do it! Though, it definitely has some benefits as a motivator. But I'm pretty tired of it over all. 

As for what other Grad students and professors make, I don't think I really have an opinion on it overall. Some stuff resonates with me and some stuff definitely doesn't, but I know it's not all going to. But it sounds like you know what you're looking for and what kind of faculty work you'd like to see. 

Do you mean that you'd like to teach at a college that has a large Chicano community or are you talking about teaching at an inner-city highschool like that since you said kids specifically? Because you don't need an MFA for that, just a teaching credential. Sorry if you already know that, I was just a little unsure because of the phrasing and thought I'd mention it just in case. 

I mean, the fellowship funding was significant, but still not enough to be affordable when you're coming from nothing. Hopefully one day the school will commit more funding to the program, I think the faculty would like to if only they had any say in it. 

4 minutes ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

Oh-Fasho, Strawberrycat! Looking forward to your point of view and perspective.

Did anyone else on the forum attend the Stanford MFA Program meet and greet? If so, what did you think?

I've been advised by two Stanford graduates that I would fit in to Stanford pretty well, but as a Southern Californian, the Bay Area feels REALLY cold and rainy and overcast. I live in Sacramento right now, which gets HOT AF! The highest recorded temperature in Sacramento is a million degrees... Literally 1,000,000 degrees, I'm not even joking. Sacramento California is regarded as the hottest place in the known universe.

I can deal with heat better than cold, tho. For reference, the coldest recorded place in the known universe is directly in front of the glare of my ex-wife's eyes when she was aiming her chancla at me for staying out too late drinking beer with the homies and not calling home.

I was kinda on the fence, but after meeting with some of the Stanford Faculty, (Paul Demarinis, Gail Wright, etc...), and hearing from current MFA Candidates the potential applicants, I feel pretty good about Stanford as an option and I'm definitely going to apply there.

The application due date is December 1st.

I thought it was a really informative talk. I don't see a lot of work that looks like mine in their program, so I'm not sure if that means that I would not be a good fit, or if it means that I could potentially have something different to bring to the table...I guess that's up to them. But I really appreciate how supportive a community they seem to be, while still being challenging and pushing each other and looking for growth. I can handle critique and welcome it, but I'm not really looking for a program that wants to emotionally destroy everyone in it just on principle. Definitely not looking for the art version of the military if I can help it. ? 

Also that living expenses stipend is so generous. ? No one else apply pls, I want it so badly. ? (JK, unless...) 

Palo Alto is super nice. It is full of very wealthy people, though, so it's an expensive area to be in for sure. Also the Cantor Museum is really cool. I personally like the weather, but bay area cold does go right through you if you're not careful. 

1 hour ago, Strawberrycat said:

I thought it was a really informative talk.

OH NO WAY! YOU WERE THERE??? HA HA!!! The "art version of the military." You saw my comment about the, "Marines of the art world," LOL!!! I also asked the question if it was okay if our letters of recommendation were from Stanford Graduates. I was the Chicano dude with the shaved head and I was sitting in between my blue keyboard and drum machine with my PC monitor behind me that had colorful shapes cycling around. I had a button-casual shirt with a steel ball necklace and black earrings. Anyway... 

Yeah, it was pretty informative. I thought it was better than the one we did for USC. I still thought the USC talk was good and helpful, but this one felt really down to Earth. You know what I mean? You don't think you would be a good fit? Why??? You showed me your work on the 2021 thread, but I don't remember. I'm sorry. I want to share my work on this thread, but there's already drama like on the 2021 thread, and I'm not about that. People need to chill.

"I'm not really looking for a program that wants to emotionally destroy everyone in it just on principle." I didn't get that at all. I felt it was like the OPPOSITE of that. What from the meeting made you think Stanford was like that???

OH, the funding is freakin FAB! RIGHT? I would TOTALLY go to Stanford and deal with the Bay Area gloom for two years for the funding alone. And the two year MFA is really attractive, too. I would rather do a 2 year at Stanford over the three at USC.

Yo! We both got into USC, last round, and USC is one of the premiere art universities in the world, not to mention a top tier research university in general. Let's both get into Stanford, as well!

The pool didn't seem that large to me. But the number of admitted MFA's was SO small. Geeeze... I'm starting to get that nervous feeling like last round, like you get in Vegas after a couple good wins!

You're right. Palo Alto is pretty well off and crazy expensive. Even Sacramento is way expensive, now. When I moved from San Diego to Sacramento in 2016, the rental cost here was similar to San Diego. I couldn't believe it. There is San Jose, which I checked out when I got into UC Santa Cruz and SJSU. Santa Cruz rent is so crazy. I didn't attend UCSC just because of that. There are places that are more affordable there if you roomie-up. But... but... but... BUUUUT... If it were Stanford, I'd get some flop place in San Jose and just crash on the couch and spend most of my time in the studio at school.

I've listened to a lot of advice from people who got their MFA's. The one that stands out to me most is to just NOT WORRY about money or how you are going to live. It will all come together.

Let's TOTALLY get admitted to Stanford! ?

Edited by The-Fourth-Dimension

25 minutes ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

OH NO WAY! YOU WERE THERE??? HA HA!!! The "art version of the military." You saw my comment about the, "Marines of the art world," LOL!!! I also asked the question if it was okay if our letters of recommendation were from Stanford Graduates. I was the Chicano dude with the shaved head and I was sitting in between my blue keyboard and drum machine with my PC monitor behind me that had colorful shapes cycling around. I had a button-casual shirt with a steel ball necklace and black earrings. Anyway... 

Yeah, it was pretty informative. I thought it was better than the one we did for USC. I still thought the USC talk was good and helpful, but this one felt really down to Earth. You know what I mean? You don't think you would be a good fit? Why??? You showed me your work on the 2021 thread, but I don't remember. I'm sorry. I want to share my work on this thread, but there's already drama like on the 2021 thread, and I'm not about that. People need to chill.

"I'm not really looking for a program that wants to emotionally destroy everyone in it just on principle." I didn't get that at all. I felt it was like the OPPOSITE of that. What from the meeting made you think Stanford was like that???

OH, the funding is freakin FAB! RIGHT? I would TOTALLY go to Stanford and deal with the Bay Area gloom for two years for the funding alone. And the two year MFA is really attractive, too. I would rather do a 2 year at Stanford over the three at USC.

Yo! We both got into USC, last round, and USC is one of the premiere art universities in the world, not to mention a top tier research university in general. Let's both get into Stanford, as well!

The pool didn't seem that large to me. But the number of admitted MFA's was SO small. Geeeze... I'm starting to get that nervous feeling like last round, like you get in Vegas after a couple good wins!

You're right. Palo Alto is pretty well off and crazy expensive. Even Sacramento is way expensive, now. When I moved from San Diego to Sacramento in 2016, the rental cost here was similar to San Diego. I couldn't believe it. There is San Jose, which I checked out when I got into UC Santa Cruz and SJSU. Santa Cruz rent is so crazy. I didn't attend UCSC just because of that. There are places that are more affordable there if you roomie-up. But... but... but... BUUUUT... If it were Stanford, I'd get some flop place in San Jose and just crash on the couch and spend most of my time in the studio at school.

I've listened to a lot of advice from people who got their MFA's. The one that stands out to me most is to just NOT WORRY about money or how you are going to live. It will all come together.

Let's TOTALLY get admitted to Stanford! ?

I was saying that I appreciate how Stanford isn't like that because I'm not looking for that kind of program, sorry for the confusion. 

Actually, after taking another look at the '21 cohort's work, I feel like it aligns more with my work than my memory was telling me from the last time I looked at it. I think I could fit there, but I can't predict what the faculty would think, but I guess we'll find out eventually.

I also appreciate how they handled the pandemic by letting them do an extra year and not admitting new students. It shows their commitment to their current students. 

(USC is a two year program as well, though, not three.) 

Anyway, good luck! 

I too attended the Stanford info session (thanks for the link). I have to say, I wasn't expecting the stipend to be that high! Very generous. Also pretty impressed with the visiting artists they mentioned. I think Stanford might rank a little higher on my list now.. Good luck to those also applying, December 1st is not very far away.

4 hours ago, Pickle95 said:

I too attended the Stanford info session (thanks for the link). I have to say, I wasn't expecting the stipend to be that high! Very generous. Also pretty impressed with the visiting artists they mentioned. I think Stanford might rank a little higher on my list now.. Good luck to those also applying, December 1st is not very far away.

Right? I wish their deadline wasn't the earliest I'm applying to. It would be nice to have more time to fine tune everything.

I just looked back and saw your intro post! What kind of painting do you do? 

Good luck too! 

I did the UC Berkeley MFA orientation, today, and it waz aight. Probably going to apply there because they offer full tuition to all accepted MFA candidates and an O.K. stipend. The reality is that I will consider ANY California Art School as long as they are covering tuition and offer decent stipends of some sort.

If I was applying back in 2019-2020, before COVID, I would consider attending an institution if the financial burden fell on me a little. But even though I've been able to keep my head above water as a practicing and producing artist, I am in NO way NEAR the same situation, financially, as I was two years ago.

Right now is no time to be taking out sizable loans for an MFA that will follow you around for the rest of your life. The U.S. economy has been in the crapper for nearly two decades due to ongoing wars, arrogant employers who want to pay people as LITTLE as possible, and the GOP/Republicans tightening their grip on the working class and destroying art is the schools.

Don't pay for that MFA.

What's up! International applying after 5-6 years out of school. 

My shortlist atm reflecting my feelings somewhat

1. UCLA

2. MIT ACT (Technically an MSc, I know)

3. Bard

4. SAIC

5. Yale

6. Harvard MDes

7. Columbia (are their studios are still in an execrable state? recall their student demands for refund and leaking studio situation as recent as 2018, and their studio issues have been at least a decade old)

Coming from the Asia Pacific. My BA was not in Studio / Fine Art (Literature / Liberal Arts) but I have a good amount of professional experience exhibiting and working in ~tHE ArT WoRld~, through networking and starting my own projects.

I have a research-based practice, and work across installation, video, performance, and writing. My hope is that grad school will allow me the space, time, and mentorship to really flesh out the materiality of my work. Having an extensive network is one thing, working out specific problems (themes, methodology etc) in your work is another. 

Freaking out because the amount of research I have to do (and have done) is making me CRAZY and wondering when is an MFA ever worth it (ans: when it has good doses of funding ofc lol). For better or for worse, I've known graduates from Yale, Bard, MIT, and other places like CalArts, and it is the dirt that kept me from applying for a while. In any case, I would love to know any dirt/lovely things people know about each school/dept. It's extremely hard not coming from the US, because not only are the fees higher, you do wonder how you'd carry out specific projects in a completely different context.

x

Edited by worldcleft
missed a word

On 10/12/2021 at 4:36 AM, Brittany0Kay said:

Hello everyone, I’m also jumping in from the other forum! I’m hoping to apply this round, if I can get a more succinct portfolio together, in time. I have a BFA in drawing/printmaking and I’m looking mostly at MFA printmaking programs. I wish there were more programs out there for drawing, truthfully, but printmaking has such a rich history and community, and I know it will push me out of my comfort zone, more than drawing or painting would.

I was waitlisted for RISD printmaking in 2019, so it’s still my top contender, but I’m also looking at:

Rutgers

MICA

SUNY New Paltz

Tyler

VCU

SAIC

Cranbrook

Yale

UW

and Syracuse

If I’m honest, I’m picky about location and definitely worried about financials. I’d prefer to stay East Coast (I live in Upstate NY), but also open to change.

My biggest hurdle right now is not having access to a print studio/press! Portfolio is obviously the biggest aspect of the app process and I definitely need to get some fresh work done, but time is not on my side, so we will see.

@Brittany0KayHey! How's your research process going? I've been mostly looking at East Coast and West Coast schools with the odd midwest (SAIC), but recently decided to look at MICA. Seems like more than a few practicing contemporary artists are on faculty - Sondra Perry (her bio quip about Columbia sends me), and Tania Bruguera for instance (but do they teach much?)

Can anyone from MICA currently tell us about their experiences at Mt Royal? Their tuition is high and there seems to be very scant funding opportunities for internationals.

Hello everyone!

I am just reintroducing myself from the last thread.

I'm a graphic designer 10 years removed from my undergrad degree in Graphic Design. I am currently finishing up my MFA in Creative Writing and I am looking to get my MFA in Graphic Design/Studio Art. Here is my website if anybody wants to see the kind of work I do:

https://www.alexquintanilla.com

And here are my top choices that I hope to apply to for the Fall 2023 cycle:

1) University of Wisconsin - Madison

2) University of Arizona

3) University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign

4) Ohio University (in Athens, OH)

5) University of Louisville

6) University of Florida

7) Georgia State University

?University of Central Florida

9) Florida State University

10) University of Iowa

11) University of Missouri

12) University of Minnesota - Twin Cities

13) Michigan State University

I am hoping to visit some of these schools before I apply late next year.

On 10/26/2021 at 5:10 PM, Chiaroscuro Shader said:

Dude, your USER-NAME is calling Bard a "disaster." Because of this and the fact that you are posting anonymously, there is ZERO compelling reason to believe that you have a balanced or fair view of a program that you are not even attending. You are doing your best to tank and crap on Bard, as you have done in ALL of your other posts.

Why don't you take your negativity BACK to the other thread. MFA applicants are going to do what THEY want to do. Stop spreading rumors, innuendo, and conjecture on these boards with your very OBVIOUS burner/sock-puppet account. It's pretty obvious who you are. You think you're being sneaky, you're not. Stop it, and go back to your thread.

2021 Bard College Baccalaureate Student Verónica Martínez-Cruz ’24 Receives New York State Senate Commendation Award

2021 Bard College Receives $50M for Curatorial Studies From Hessel Foundation and George Soros

2021 Bard College Conservatory of Music Launches New Master of Music Degree Program in Fall 2022

Okay I am just now seeing this and want to vouch for the person posting about Bard, they are not lying. I too am technically still enrolled at Bard (you can check back when I posted in the thread from two years about getting in) and Bard is not doing so hot right now. All that was mentioned is true. However, everyone do as you please. 

11 hours ago, Pickle95 said:

Okay I am just now seeing this and want to vouch for the person posting about Bard, they are not lying. I too am technically still enrolled at Bard (you can check back when I posted in the thread from two years about getting in) and Bard is not doing so hot right now. All that was mentioned is true. However, everyone do as you please. 

I just spoke to a recent Bard graduate to try and understand the programme more as someone literally thousands of miles away not about to blow money on a programme that could fall under my feet, and they echoed the same. The programme when it functions can be truly amazing, but the pandemic entwined with an overhead admin switchover screwed it up, and if you check the website there is indeed a whole lot of faculty that left. When you understand how the programme functions (its transformative and learning experiences are rooted in its people), its lean summer intensive structure and the nature of its gatherings and crits, you might understand its recent shambling state better. We'll hold out for more updates because it truly can be great for many artists. Until then, caveat emptor.

Edited by worldcleft

3 hours ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

Good afternoon,

If anyone is applying to the UC Irvine MFA program, there is a virtual open house coming up tomorrow, November 2nd.

I MEAN NOVEMBER 3RD!!! What is with this site that you can't edit your past posts or delete them if you wrote something in error???

TOMORROW, Wednesday November 3rd, and Thursday November 4th are the open house sessions at UCI. Sorry about that.

For-UCI.png

35 minutes ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

I MEAN NOVEMBER 3RD!!! What is with this site that you can't edit your past posts or delete them if you wrote something in error???

TOMORROW, Wednesday November 3rd, and Thursday November 4th are the open house sessions at UCI. Sorry about that.

For-UCI.png

Thanks for the info! I don't see where it shows anything for the art department, do you know how to get to that specifically? 

32 minutes ago, Strawberrycat said:

Thanks for the info! I don't see where it shows anything for the art department, do you know how to get to that specifically? 

You're welcome.

Did you get to the "Virtual Fairs Map View?" There's a list of the programs from Physical Sciences though Business. "School of the Arts" is at the bottom of the first list on the left. When you click on it, tho, you get the crummy red interdictory circle with a statement, "Find Your Future at UCI! fair has not started yet. It will start on Wed, Nov 3 at 10:00am." It's a map tease! That's messed up because the map looks fun.

Guess we'll just have to tune in tomorrow to find out. Wonder if they'll provide refreshments and snax via email. Other than the fact it's in Orange County, I wouldn't mind going to UCI at all. I'm applying to every U.C., even Merced. Time to get that MFA no matter what!

I'm glad you're going! You'll prob recognize me on Zoom. I'll be the guy in the pink leisure suit, riding a unicycle, juggling water balloons, and throwing up gang-member signs.

Here's a link to the UCI MFA site.

University of California, Irvine | Graduate | MFA Program | UCI Department of Art

Edited by The-Fourth-Dimension

35 minutes ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

You're welcome.

Did you get to the "Virtual Fairs Map View?" There's a list of the programs from Physical Sciences though Business. "School of the Arts" is at the bottom of the first list on the left. When you click on it, tho, you get the crummy red interdictory circle with a statement, "Find Your Future at UCI! fair has not started yet. It will start on Wed, Nov 3 at 10:00am." It's a map tease! That's messed up because the map looks fun.

Guess we'll just have to tune in tomorrow to find out. Wonder if they'll provide refreshments and snax via email. Other than the fact it's in Orange County, I wouldn't mind going to UCI at all. I'm applying to every U.C., even Merced. Time to get that MFA no matter what!

I'm glad you're going! You'll prob recognize me on Zoom. I'll be the guy in the pink leisure suit, riding a unicycle, juggling water balloons, and throwing up gang-member signs.

Here's a link to the UCI MFA site.

University of California, Irvine | Graduate | MFA Program | UCI Department of Art

Yeah, I got to that part, but I couldn't find the art department in the "agenda" section where it lists the different schools' events. But yeah, I guess we'll found out! 

I don't think UC Merced has an MFA program right now, but the ones that do tend to have good funding, so I think that's a solid plan. 

Good luck with all of that multitasking!

On 10/31/2021 at 4:38 AM, worldcleft said:

@Brittany0KayHey! How's your research process going? I've been mostly looking at East Coast and West Coast schools with the odd midwest (SAIC), but recently decided to look at MICA. Seems like more than a few practicing contemporary artists are on faculty - Sondra Perry (her bio quip about Columbia sends me), and Tania Bruguera for instance (but do they teach much?)

Can anyone from MICA currently tell us about their experiences at Mt Royal? Their tuition is high and there seems to be very scant funding opportunities for internationals.

Ahhhh it’s still going. Definitely struggling with feeling secure enough with my portfolio, with only a couple months to pull it together, so we’ll see what happens!

Regarding MICA, I honestly don’t know much about their graduate multidisciplinary program, outside of an inquiry I made a couple years ago about access to a printmaking studio. They were sort of vague and it seemed very open ended! However, I did attend MICA my first year of undergrad (2011-2012) and I really loved my experience there. I’m sure it differs a lot from the grad program, but that foundation year really challenged me and broke me out of my shell, conceptually. I will say, their undergrad program was very concept-driven, so I’m not sure if that would carry into a grad program too. I was a drawing major in undergrad, but now that I bridge into printmaking as well, my work is more technically focused and I do question if MICA is the right fit for that. Hopefully that helps, a bit!!

On 10/26/2021 at 10:10 PM, Strawberrycat said:

It really is such a weird and vulnerable experience to have to suddenly figure out where we stand next to all of these other, sometimes invisible, people, so I get it. It's definitely made me feel a whole lot of different nerves and doubts and levels of being jaded. The application process takes a really big toll (on me, at least) emotionally and mentally, so I'm really hoping this will be the last round that I have to do it! Though, it definitely has some benefits as a motivator. But I'm pretty tired of it over all. 

Just have to say— I feel you so much on this! I was talking with my mom about the programs I’ve been looking at and she responded with “aren’t you too old for school at this point?” Im 28 and obviously just eye-rolled and moved on, but there is this immense pressure to “get it right this time” with each passing year. It’s absolutely emotionally exhausting and I think it’s really valuable when other artists open up about that aspect of the whole process. You’re definitely not alone!

21 hours ago, Brittany0Kay said:

Just have to say— I feel you so much on this! I was talking with my mom about the programs I’ve been looking at and she responded with “aren’t you too old for school at this point?” Im 28 and obviously just eye-rolled and moved on, but there is this immense pressure to “get it right this time” with each passing year. It’s absolutely emotionally exhausting and I think it’s really valuable when other artists open up about that aspect of the whole process. You’re definitely not alone!

Hey, thank you for saying so! I'm really sorry that your mom thinks that way, but I'm glad you know that that's definitely not the case. Grad programs have such a wide range of ages and 28 is such a normal time to apply! I think a lot of people outside of it all have a skewed idea of what grad school is even like. But yeah, we can know it, and still feel that pressure for sure. But I hope the process goes as smoothly as possible for you and that you get to the best place for you!