MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

20 hours ago, Brittany0Kay said:

Hello everyone, I’m also jumping in from the other forum! I’m hoping to apply this round, if I can get a more succinct portfolio together, in time. I have a BFA in drawing/printmaking and I’m looking mostly at MFA printmaking programs. I wish there were more programs out there for drawing, truthfully, but printmaking has such a rich history and community, and I know it will push me out of my comfort zone, more than drawing or painting would.

I was waitlisted for RISD printmaking in 2019, so it’s still my top contender, but I’m also looking at:

Rutgers

MICA

SUNY New Paltz

Tyler

VCU

SAIC

Cranbrook

Yale

UW

and Syracuse

If I’m honest, I’m picky about location and definitely worried about financials. I’d prefer to stay East Coast (I live in Upstate NY), but also open to change.

My biggest hurdle right now is not having access to a print studio/press! Portfolio is obviously the biggest aspect of the app process and I definitely need to get some fresh work done, but time is not on my side, so we will see.

If you want east coast with good funding, there is also University of Delaware and I think UMD. 

2 hours ago, SpillToBuilt said:

Look up artists you like and other successful artists—read their statements and see how they talk about their work. Figure out where you fit in and whose work you align with, then go from there. 

You could also look up alumni from your choice schools and find their statements. This is easy enough since most artists have their artist statement on their website, not that this is totally necessary though. 

Thanks for the tips, but I’m specifically curious about statements tailored for applications, not general artist statements :)  

On 10/11/2021 at 5:48 PM, katfude5 said:

Does anyone have any resources for successful artist statements? I've been fine tuning the same statement for months now, but have rewritten it so many times it looks like a blob of words at this point. It would be so helpful to read successful statements that other people have written to get into competitive schools, but I'm at a loss of how to find them.

We should normalize sharing successful statements. Happy to read it over as well. For me, a good statement shows who you are as a person and your reason for going to school. Your work should reflect that vision and professors should be envisioning ways in which your work could blossom from your statement. 

On 10/12/2021 at 4:30 PM, slickjaketheruler said:

Is anyone planning on doing the virtual/upcoming portfolio review days? I found it super helpful last year when applying and can answer questions on how to get the best out of it.

I'm planning to do one of the virtual days. I've gone to them in person in the past, but if you have any tips to make the most out of it, especially virtually, I'd love to hear them! 

The Outwin artists Deborah Roberts and Adrian Octavius Walker speak with Adrienne Davis, William M. Van Cleve Professor of Law in the School of Law and Professor of Organizational Behavior & Leadership in the Olin Business School at WashU. Both artists use portraiture to depict the complexity of Black subjecthood, exploring themes of race, identity, beauty, and gender politics.

This program is free, but registration is required. Visit https://www.kemperartmuseum.wustl.edu/events/panel-discussions/14575 to register.

Hi everyone!

I am a first year MFA student at Tyler (painting) and identify as disabled (autistic and have fibromyalgia.) If anyone out there is thinking of applying to Tyler and/or identifies as disabled, I'm happy to answer questions or share my experience so far. Tyler is a GREAT program, but I've definitely encountered some barriers. I'm also the only person in the MFA program who is directly working with themes related to disability identity and culture - though there is A LOT of diversity in the program related to race, ethnicity, gender and sexuality (both among the students and faculty) which is fantastic!

Anyway, I want to be available to support any other disabled folks out there, whether you're applying to Tyler or another program, I'm happy to share my experience and try to be helpful. Feel free to send me a message or reply here. 

(Also happy to answer general questions about the MFA program at Tyler, and the application process. ☺️)

Sup art PEEEEEEEPS??? I see a few artists here that were on the 2021 FOF thread. Hello, again!

It's fantastic to see artists applying for MFA's. I applied for the fall 2021 MFA season at only one school and I got into the exact program I wanted, but it is far too costly for me right now. I decided to take a deferral to fall 2022 in order to save money, but I'm seeing that it might still end up being prohibitively expensive. I am currently applying to more reasonably priced institutions, and I'm applying early this time instead of at the last minute.

I received my Bachelors in Fine Art, (concentration in sculpture), from the California State University, Sacramento. Grew up in San Diego, but currently reside in Sacramento. I'm primarily interested in sculpture but I also paint and am very into New Media, digital design, MAX 8, TouchDesigner, Processing 4, and Pure Data. The reason I'm working for an MFA is because I want to teach artwork in historically disadvantaged neighborhoods, and also at the university level.

I am applying to:

University of California, Berkeley

University of California, Los Angeles

University of California, San Diego

San Diego State University

Stanford

Maybe a couple of others...

Good luck this round, and love to everyone! I hope you all get into the programs you want and deserve.

On 10/20/2021 at 7:40 PM, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

Sup art PEEEEEEEPS??? I see a few artists here that were on the 2021 FOF thread. Hello, again!

It's fantastic to see artists applying for MFA's. I applied for the fall 2021 MFA season at only one school and I got into the exact program I wanted, but it is far too costly for me right now. I decided to take a deferral to fall 2022 in order to save money, but I'm seeing that it might still end up being prohibitively expensive. I am currently applying to more reasonably priced institutions, and I'm applying early this time instead of at the last minute.

I received my Bachelors in Fine Art, (concentration in sculpture), from the California State University, Sacramento. Grew up in San Diego, but currently reside in Sacramento. I'm primarily interested in sculpture but I also paint and am very into New Media, digital design, MAX 8, TouchDesigner, Processing 4, and Pure Data. The reason I'm working for an MFA is because I want to teach artwork in historically disadvantaged neighborhoods, and also at the university level.

I am applying to:

University of California, Berkeley

University of California, Los Angeles

University of California, San Diego

San Diego State University

Stanford

Maybe a couple of others...

Good luck this round, and love to everyone! I hope you all get into the programs you want and deserve.

Heya, Stanford is doing an online zoom info session tomorrow at 5 pm and UC Berkeley is doing one on the 29th at noon if you didn't know about them yet. I just found out and signed up through their art department websites. 

1 hour ago, Strawberrycat said:

Heya, Stanford is doing an online zoom info session tomorrow at 5 pm and UC Berkeley is doing one on the 29th at noon if you didn't know about them yet. I just found out and signed up through their art department websites. 

Oh, snap! I appreciate you. I remember you from the last round. You're the one who let me know that USC doesn't give full funding foe an MFA. That bummed me out SO bad.

I did end up getting admitted to USC Roski. It surprised me because it's the only program I'd applied to and I was super sick for my interview. But the financial/economic cost was just too high, like stratospherically high and completely outside of reason. I tried as hard as I could to justify going to USC because the MFA studios are in SUCH a great place in LA that I'm very familiar with. All the gear you get to work on is new and rad. Plus I really want to work with every one of those professors, especially Nao and Jennifer. I just couldn't.

Stanford is more generous with funding, from what I gather. Same with the UC's. Even if I didn't get any kind of funding from the UC it would still be cheaper to get an MFA by hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I'm gonna hit up the Stanford session, tomorrow. Thank you again for the information, G.

On 10/20/2021 at 4:05 PM, Killerdonuts said:

Hi everyone!

I am a first year MFA student at Tyler (painting) and identify as disabled (autistic and have fibromyalgia.) If anyone out there is thinking of applying to Tyler and/or identifies as disabled, I'm happy to answer questions or share my experience so far. Tyler is a GREAT program, but I've definitely encountered some barriers. I'm also the only person in the MFA program who is directly working with themes related to disability identity and culture - though there is A LOT of diversity in the program related to race, ethnicity, gender and sexuality (both among the students and faculty) which is fantastic!

Anyway, I want to be available to support any other disabled folks out there, whether you're applying to Tyler or another program, I'm happy to share my experience and try to be helpful. Feel free to send me a message or reply here. 

(Also happy to answer general questions about the MFA program at Tyler, and the application process. ☺️)

Thanks so much for all of this information about Tyler Painting! I just wanted to add that Tyler Sculpture is apparently not a supportive place for students with learning disabilities (which became a big reason why I didn't accept my offer last year). A lot of my work is related to learning disabilities, and after my interview/presentation a current student who also had dyslexia ect. reached out to me to say that they were really struggling with how unsupportive of an environment it was to have a learning disability and interact with the rigid faculty and curriculum. 

4 minutes ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

Oh, snap! I appreciate you. I remember you from the last round. You're the one who let me know that USC doesn't give full funding foe an MFA. That bummed me out SO bad.

I did end up getting admitted to USC Roski. It surprised me because it's the only program I'd applied to and I was super sick for my interview. But the financial/economic cost was just too high, like stratospherically high and completely outside of reason. I tried as hard as I could to justify going to USC because the MFA studios are in SUCH a great place in LA that I'm very familiar with. All the gear you get to work on is new and rad. Plus I really want to work with every one of those professors, especially Nao and Jennifer. I just couldn't.

Stanford is more generous with funding, from what I gather. Same with the UC's. Even if I didn't get any kind of funding from the UC it would still be cheaper to get an MFA by hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I'm gonna hit up the Stanford session, tomorrow. Thank you again for the information, G.

No problem! Congrats on getting in, but I'm sorry about the cost. ? Their faculty is so great. It was a difficult decision for me too. I hope you find a place that works for you and some good funding to go with it! You might want to check out UC Santa Barbara and UC Irvine as well. 

1 minute ago, Strawberrycat said:

No problem! Congrats on getting in, but I'm sorry about the cost. ? Their faculty is so great. It was a difficult decision for me too. I hope you find a place that works for you and some good funding to go with it! You might want to check out UC Santa Barbara and UC Irvine as well. 

Good advice, and thank you! UC Santa Barbara is really beautiful, but I'm trying to say in dense metro areas. It's why I'm applying to Berkeley, UCLA, etc... The reality is that if I get into SDSU, I'll probably just take that and move back home to San Diego, because Sacramento is not really the place to be. UCI might be cool, but I'm not at ALL a fan of Orange County after the past 5 years. Two of my old pals went to UCI and lived in Newport, back in the day and I'd go visit from San Diego and stay in their apt. Non-stop party. Good old days indeed.

The Bay Area is pretty expensive, but if I got into Stanford or Berkeley I'd move there in a hot second.

I've seen lots of people applying to fine arts universities that are considered to be good schools, but if the school isn't near or around areas with a lot of people and movement then I don't really see the point of studying there for an MFA, since an MFA education is about experimentation and expanding your own knowledge on your own. I get that other applicants see it differently, and I respect that.

If I remember, you got into USC, as well, yeah? Was it the cost, too? Congratulations to you, also! I don't think any of the USC admits from the 2021 FOF thread accepted admission to Roski. It kind of makes me think that the people ending up accepting admission were way down the line and second best. USC needs to do better in terms of funding if they want good artists.

17 minutes ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

Good advice, and thank you! UC Santa Barbara is really beautiful, but I'm trying to say in dense metro areas. It's why I'm applying to Berkeley, UCLA, etc... The reality is that if I get into SDSU, I'll probably just take that and move back home to San Diego, because Sacramento is not really the place to be. UCI might be cool, but I'm not at ALL a fan of Orange County after the past 5 years. Two of my old pals went to UCI and lived in Newport, back in the day and I'd go visit from San Diego and stay in their apt. Non-stop party. Good old days indeed.

The Bay Area is pretty expensive, but if I got into Stanford or Berkeley I'd move there in a hot second.

I've seen lots of people applying to fine arts universities that are considered to be good schools, but if the school isn't near or around areas with a lot of people and movement then I don't really see the point of studying there for an MFA, since an MFA education is about experimentation and expanding your own knowledge on your own. I get that other applicants see it differently, and I respect that.

If I remember, you got into USC, as well, yeah? Was it the cost, too? Congratulations to you, also! I don't think any of the USC admits from the 2021 FOF thread accepted admission to Roski. It kind of makes me think that the people ending up accepting admission were way down the line and second best. USC needs to do better in terms of funding if they want good artists.

That's fair to want to be in a place like that, but yeah, everyone has their own reasoning and goals for an MFA so different places work for different people. 

Yeah, I couldn't afford the cost even with a generous fellowship offer, unfortunately. I think that if USC were able to offer more funding, it would make it way more accessible to a lot of great artists from lower incomes who fear that kind of extreme debt $$$. But with that said, their current cohort has some pretty stellar artists who I would have been honored to work with, whether they were their first round picks or not. Initial choices for admission are made for a lot of different reasons and respectfully, I wouldn't call all of the people who get in from any waitlist second best. 

I don't know where to find it again, but I read a blog post before that was written by someone in an mfa program who was doubting themselves and basically asked one of the professors why they were chosen for the program and if they were really one of the best painters who applied and the professor told them something along the lines of: No, they weren't one of the best painters, and that they weren't even looking for the best painters, they were looking for who they could see the most potential growth for. 

That really stood out to me and I try to remember it when I receive both acceptances and rejections now. 

16 minutes ago, Strawberrycat said:

That's fair to want to be in a place like that, but yeah, everyone has their own reasoning and goals for an MFA so different places work for different people. 

Yeah, I couldn't afford the cost even with a generous fellowship offer, unfortunately. I think that if USC were able to offer more funding, it would make it way more accessible to a lot of great artists from lower incomes who fear that kind of extreme debt $$$. But with that said, their current cohort has some pretty stellar artists who I would have been honored to work with, whether they were their first round picks or not. Initial choices for admission are made for a lot of different reasons and respectfully, I wouldn't call all of the people who get in from any waitlist second best. 

I don't know where to find it again, but I read a blog post before that was written by someone in an mfa program who was doubting themselves and basically asked one of the professors why they were chosen for the program and if they were really one of the best painters who applied and the professor told them something along the lines of: No, they weren't one of the best painters, and that they weren't even looking for the best painters, they were looking for who they could see the most potential growth for. 

That really stood out to me and I try to remember it when I receive both acceptances and rejections now. 

What a great quote, Strawberrycat!!! (I like your name because I'm one of those crazy cat people that if I was rich I would live in a giant home filled only with stinky cats.) But you're right, and I feel stupid for making that "second best" comment. This past year of writing applications has messed around with my head and made me question so many things in art as to whether or not I even want to be in an art world with so many superficial critics and non-artists that I already deal with on a weekly basis, instead of just being an independent artist, which I enjoy. I've never really felt as jaded as I do right now about the art world until I felt like I was in competition with other decent artists for an MFA program that so many of us are worthy of being in. It isn't healthy. As a matter of fact, It's actively unhealthy.

I've read up a lot on the MFA selection process and have spoken to legit friends of mine who are professors at the university level, (I'm an older student, NOT THAT MUCH OLDER,THO)!!! From what I can tell, the faculty tends to want to cultivate a candidate that makes the department look good, or elevated, or seem social justice oriented. They want people who can shock, or be politically obnoxious, or be rock-stars, because the fact of the matter is that skilled artists aren't special and are a dime a dozen. MFA programs seem to want the "bleeding edge," in lieu of competent creatives.

From my perspective, a lot of the art coming from the MFA programs at "good schools" is so phony, especially with Postmodernism still being all trendy after so many decades. Like, I've noticed that TONS of these art professors don't even create anything I consider to be artistic, and what they DO create reminds me of the mentality of that kid named Malachi who sat in the back of the class, ate paste, and picked his scabs just to be annoying.

Everything is art, right? Or... nothing is art or some boring hidden riddle. "Oh look, I just threw a bunch of rubbish in the corner to make an artistic statement." Dumb, boring, and tired. The Fluxus already did that in the 60s, and the Dada before that... Everyone's done it. I'd like to see artistic exceptionalism in more schools, like the Greeks did, instead of "experimentation." That should be done in the garage at home when I'm drunk. (AGAIN, not criticizing others, just making clear what I'm about). I love ALL art, period.

I'm already successful at art, it's how I pay my bills and what I do. I don't need an MFA to create things or to make money or be on the bleeding edge. What I want to do the MOST, is to earn a degree from a big-shot institution so I can teach at a Chicano or inner-city school to thug kids like I was at their age as so they can get down with someone who came from the varrio, got in trouble, but still went on to do big things. I want youth to do it for themselves and their families. I want to be the dude that young creative punks can identify with and be artistic with, instead of messing up on the street and getting in trouble.

The funding they were offering at USC for NON-fellowship people wasn't even existent for the first year. Nothing at all. I didn't know we needed to apply for several programs to be competitive, so I only applied to where I wanted to go, USC. But the funding even sucks for fellowship people??? Yeeesh... That's super lame because the endowment per year for USC is like seven billion... SEVEN BILLION... $7,000,000,000... A seven followed by NINE ZEROS, dollars... SEVEN TOIUSAND MILLIONS!!! Yet they can't commit to giving MFA candidates a decent tuition boost? Something is very seriously wrong with that, and I'm really sorry that they didn't hook you up because it seems like you deserved it.

I bet you a cool ONE HUNDRED pesos that you get the program you want, this round. I hope you do! ?

10 hours ago, katfude5 said:

Thanks so much for all of this information about Tyler Painting! I just wanted to add that Tyler Sculpture is apparently not a supportive place for students with learning disabilities (which became a big reason why I didn't accept my offer last year). A lot of my work is related to learning disabilities, and after my interview/presentation a current student who also had dyslexia ect. reached out to me to say that they were really struggling with how unsupportive of an environment it was to have a learning disability and interact with the rigid faculty and curriculum. 

Unfortunately I have encountered a fair amount to ableist stuff, but it's the type of ableism born out of inexperience (which is not an excuse, just to say that it isn't intentional or overt.) I think you will sadly have that issue in any program since it's so baked into the foundation of MFA programs and academia in general.

However, I have a critique class with the chair of sculpture (who is also going to be on my MFA committee) and she is absolutely great! She really engaged, thoughtful, and understanding. 

While it's completely an unfair burden to put on disabled students, I don't think a lot of the foundational issues will change until we make ourselves known in the programs. For example, I'm aiming to have image descriptions, an audio tours, plenty of seating, and maybe even a touch tour for my MFA exhibition. (We'll see what I can manage to pull together.)

Anyway, if you're thinking of reconsidering Tyler this year, I'd be happy to give you some more information about the program, and some specifics about where I have encountered challenges. 

Also, you might also consider Hunter - there's a least one faculty there who identifies as Disabled - Tina Zavitsanos. She's great!

I posted this on the other forum but since (hopefully) this one will be more active than the other..I just wanted to say that this year might not be the year to apply to Bard. 50% of the co-chairs have stepped down since August. Painting and Film and Video currently have zero co-chairs. The rest of the co-chairs aren't definitively returning.

Edited by bardmfaisadisaster

43 minutes ago, bardmfaisadisaster said:

It might be wise to wait on Bard bc it might be a sinking ship.

Dude, your USER-NAME is calling Bard a "disaster." Because of this and the fact that you are posting anonymously, there is ZERO compelling reason to believe that you have a balanced or fair view of a program that you are not even attending. You are doing your best to tank and crap on Bard, as you have done in ALL of your other posts.

Why don't you take your negativity BACK to the other thread. MFA applicants are going to do what THEY want to do. Stop spreading rumors, innuendo, and conjecture on these boards with your very OBVIOUS burner/sock-puppet account. It's pretty obvious who you are. You think you're being sneaky, you're not. Stop it, and go back to your thread.

2021 Bard College Baccalaureate Student Verónica Martínez-Cruz ’24 Receives New York State Senate Commendation Award

2021 Bard College Receives $50M for Curatorial Studies From Hessel Foundation and George Soros

2021 Bard College Conservatory of Music Launches New Master of Music Degree Program in Fall 2022

20 minutes ago, Chiaroscuro Shader said:

Dude, your USER-NAME is calling Bard a "disaster." Because of this and the fact that you are posting anonymously, there is ZERO compelling reason to believe that you have a balanced or fair view of a program that you are not even attending. You are doing your best to tank and crap on Bard, as you have done in ALL of your other posts.

Why don't you take your negativity BACK to the other thread. MFA applicants are going to do what THEY want to do. Stop spreading rumors, innuendo, and conjecture on these boards with your very OBVIOUS burner/sock-puppet account. It's pretty obvious who you are. You think you're being sneaky, you're not. Stop it, and go back to your thread.

2021 Bard College Baccalaureate Student Verónica Martínez-Cruz ’24 Receives New York State Senate Commendation Award

2021 Bard College Receives $50M for Curatorial Studies From Hessel Foundation and George Soros

2021 Bard College Conservatory of Music Launches New Master of Music Degree Program in Fall 2022

I'm a current student. Of course people should do what they want to. But many students (who are my classmates) described being surprised to learn about all the issues when they arrived. Or wish they hadn't turned down other offers or been so focused on their Bard application. I'm not sure why you are hating on me and not other students who are describing issues with the programs they turned down acceptances to...Tyler, USC etc. all the links you posted have to do with the undergrad college, or other graduate programs. This thread has also been a place for current students to share when shit is going down at their schools just to let people know. It is a lot of work and money to apply to each school. apologies if I came off as overly negative...it has been a pretty serious situation. idk you can check the bard MFA website and see that many of the co-chair positions are TBA

I actually don't know who you are accusing me of "actually being" ...I made this account to protect myself from any potential Bard admin backlash yeah...could have chosen a different username to sound less like a troll. I wouldn't have even cross posted but the person who started this thread sent me a PM to invite me to this thread. I edited my other post to be less negative. anyhow anyone can PM me if they want more details.

3 minutes ago, bardmfaisadisaster said:

I'm a current student.

"I'm a current student." Prove it. 

The reason YOU are getting called out is because other applicants are discussing many things, not just one singular "issue." All YOU are doing is ripping on Bard in an ultra-negative way. By your OWN admission, you are "biased." That is what YOU WROTE. If I even believed you were a Bard student, that would be damning.

Part of being an artist is maintaining, advancing and standing by the courage of your convictions. Anonymously spamming a board with an aggressive username and posting conjecture the people are supposed to believe, just because, is cowardly, and lacks the courage of your convictions.

If you are going on a STRICTLY anti-Bard campaign as a current student, then post these things in the open, and show people who you are and what you do. Don't hide.

28 minutes ago, Chiaroscuro Shader said:

"I'm a current student." Prove it. 

The reason YOU are getting called out is because other applicants are discussing many things, not just one singular "issue." All YOU are doing is ripping on Bard in an ultra-negative way. By your OWN admission, you are "biased." That is what YOU WROTE. If I even believed you were a Bard student, that would be damning.

Part of being an artist is maintaining, advancing and standing by the courage of your convictions. Anonymously spamming a board with an aggressive username and posting conjecture the people are supposed to believe, just because, is cowardly, and lacks the courage of your convictions.

If you are going on a STRICTLY anti-Bard campaign as a current student, then post these things in the open, and show people who you are and what you do. Don't hide.

I'm not going to prove it bc the admin has been retaliatory in the past. People really don't need to believe me, I'm just trying to help with transparency of information. Like these aren't even just my convictions a faculty member texted me this morning encouraging me to try to get a refund for my tuition and apply elsewhere. But yeah...of course no one needs to trust an anonymous person on the internet. But I also wasn't planning on posting anymore. People can check the website themselves to see that the GC is half empty. I definitely didn't intend to be aggressive or something was just following the example of a Columbia student in 2020 making an account to let applicants know that Columbia was kicking students out of their studios etc...bc the school wasn't being transparent. I would delete my posts but you can't delete things on the forum so they will have to stay up.

I'm also just curious why you think someone who troll as an anti Bard troll? like do you think I am some spurned faculty or rejected student or something?

16 hours ago, Pickle95 said:

Do any of the people attending this Stanford info session have the link? I can't seem to find it anywhere and am interested. TY! 

I found it. It was right on the Stanford MFA page. It starts tonight at 5pm through 6:30pm. You had to sign up. We missed the first one, unfortunately. And I think we were supposed to sign up for this session the day before, because I signed up for it today, twice, and never received a Zoom link. Maybe they will send it at the last minute?

Dang it.

Stanford MFA Art Practice Info Session II

Edited by The-Fourth-Dimension

7 minutes ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

I found it. It was right on the Stanford MFA page. It starts tonight at 5pm through 6:30pm. You had to sign up. We missed the first one, unfortunately. And I think we were supposed to sign up for this session the day before, because I signed up for it today, twice, and never received a Zoom link. Maybe they will send it at the last minute?

Dang it.

Stanford MFA Art Practice Info Session II

NEVERMIND! I just got the link. SEE YOU THERE!