MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

Hi all! The clock is really ticking and I just wanted to share some thoughts and sentiments, to see if anyone else relates because I often feel out of place and unorganized with my practice.

I have always struggled with a consistent flow of production. I’m either doing absolutely nothing and thinking about all the directions I might want to go, or doing absolutely everything in a frenzy.

As for the application process, it’s no different. Programs always emphasize how they want the breadth of our practice to be clear in the portfolio; how they should be able to see vision and a progression of ideas; a peek into our studio practice. I almost feel guilty or “fraudulent” compiling/developing a body of work over the course of a few weeks/months versus developing ideas over a period of a year or 2, followed by the “natural” progression of applying to MFA programs, but alas, that IS my process and always has been. I’m positive I’m not alone in that, but with social media and fellow colleagues seemingly having it all together, it’s hard to keep that perspective.

So if you’re still powering through pieces and portfolio development, I’m right there with you! And if you have everything ready to go, take some well deserved rest and best of luck!!!

13 hours ago, Brittany0Kay said:

Hi all! The clock is really ticking and I just wanted to share some thoughts and sentiments, to see if anyone else relates because I often feel out of place and unorganized with my practice.

I have always struggled with a consistent flow of production. I’m either doing absolutely nothing and thinking about all the directions I might want to go, or doing absolutely everything in a frenzy.

As for the application process, it’s no different. Programs always emphasize how they want the breadth of our practice to be clear in the portfolio; how they should be able to see vision and a progression of ideas; a peek into our studio practice. I almost feel guilty or “fraudulent” compiling/developing a body of work over the course of a few weeks/months versus developing ideas over a period of a year or 2, followed by the “natural” progression of applying to MFA programs, but alas, that IS my process and always has been. I’m positive I’m not alone in that, but with social media and fellow colleagues seemingly having it all together, it’s hard to keep that perspective.

So if you’re still powering through pieces and portfolio development, I’m right there with you! And if you have everything ready to go, take some well deserved rest and best of luck!!!

I definitely relate to this sentiment, especially since I will be applying to some programs again after picking the wrong school last year-- and from my communication with them about reapplying, it seems like they will not award me the same or more scholarship if I do not apply with an entirely fresh portfolio (which I ABSOLUTELY was not anticipating to do, since three months ago I thought I was locked into my future). I am in the same boat about having this hyper-aware feeling of "I am making this new body of work in a rushed state for a specific purpose and it goes against everything that I would naturally do". Feel free to message me directly and maybe we can work out our shared anxieties together. Anyway, thanks for typing out your feelings because you are not at all alone in this.

Hi all,

Just wanted to chime in and say how happy I was to see that Carnegie Mellon’s MFA is not on anyones list for applications.

I am still recovering from the traumatic nightmare of making the wrong decision with my MFA- choosing CMU sent my life on a downward spiral- the faculty are incredibly abusive, unprofessional, hostile and even worse- inactive in their respective fields. The PR machine of CMU keeps paying for hyperallergic posts and tries to make it seem like a good school by paying for a US News ranking. It’s not. It’s a total mess, and a horrible place to study art. 

Even worse, I was involved in a Title IX case, because CMU Fine Arts faculty Ali Momeni had been reported as sexually harassing visiting faculty members, as well as students. My participation in the title IX was traumatizing.

Instead of helping me, CMU has retaliated by interfering in my career, and has since even banned me from campus- I don’t even live near CMU anymore. They banned me just because I complained about being retaliated against and having my projects taken from me without creating my work. Basically, my MFA thesis became a project the School continued pursuing grant funding for, and left me out of the process because I complained of discrimination and was involved in the Title IX investigation.  

I am literally banned from my MFA alma mater only because I complained of being retaliated against and having my research projects taken away from me for being a witness in a Title IX Investigation. As a result, CMU MFA has banned me for life.

Just avoid CMU. It is not worth it- the place is so broken right now. The new head, Charlie White, is trying to make it seem better, but they still employ toxic and abusive faculty. Don’t bother applying, trust me- it is a horrific, nightmarish experience.

E181E206-EEC6-4AD6-B7C5-B3C875BEE48F.jpeg

3 hours ago, Cmusurvivor said:

Hi all,

Just wanted to chime in and say how happy I was to see that Carnegie Mellon’s MFA is not on anyones list for applications.

This sounds bad, and I would not want any student, or ANYONE to be in the sort of position that you outlined.

People from around the world have access to this forum, including those who would wish to harm the United States with "fake news" and propaganda. So please let the forum know who you are so there is a human being in this story. At this point, apparently, there is no further recourse that the school can take against you, so you have nothing to fear, and it could help other scholars to interact with you.

As a scholar, myself, I've learned that information must be sourced from peer reviewed material that is open for discussion and scrutiny as to bias and fact-checking. Because you feel like you are in the correct side of this, it stands to reason that you would be best representing yourself as a primary source.

Again, I feel for anyone encountering a situation like you've put forth, but asking people to believe you just because you say so isn't ethical or reasonable, especially to scholars. 

To put it more succinctly... Who are you?

Uh- no.

I’m hesitant to even engage in you because your management of this forum seems borderline trolling and harassing to begin with.

I am a survivor of sexual assault who has been retaliated against in their career for participating in a Title IX investigation by CMU.

How would saying a name make my story more believable anyway?

I could say my name is Jon Burroughs or Emily James-you still would not have to believe me unless you care to. The purpose of what I’m sharing isn’t to convince you of anything insidious.

What happened to me is real, it was horrific and a nightmare, so please don’t harass me and try to “out” me. What, do you think I’m the dean of Yale trying to up my application count by badmouthing another school?

The only motive I have is to help other people not make bad decisions. Carnegie Mellon’s School of Art misadvertises its program, and tricks students into accepting. The faculty- Suzie Silver, Paolo Pederecinni, Melissa Ragona and others, are abusive and unhelpful. I am one of many students who have had a horrible experience in the program and many of my colleagues had the same sentiment.

That’s all.

Edited by Cmusurvivor

2 hours ago, Cmusurvivor said:

Uh- no.

I’m hesitant to even engage in you because your management of this forum seems borderline trolling and harassing to begin with.

I am a survivor of sexual assault who has been retaliated against in their career for participating in a Title IX investigation by CMU.

How would saying a name make my story more believable anyway?

I could say my name is Jon Burroughs or Emily James-you still would not have to believe me unless you care to. The purpose of what I’m sharing isn’t to convince you of anything insidious.

What happened to me is real, it was horrific and a nightmare, so please don’t harass me and try to “out” me. What, do you think I’m the dean of Yale trying to up my application count by badmouthing another school?

The only motive I have is to help other people not make bad decisions. Carnegie Mellon’s School of Art misadvertises its program, and tricks students into accepting. The faculty- Suzie Silver, Paolo Pederecinni, Melissa Ragona and others, are abusive and unhelpful. I am one of many students who have had a horrible experience in the program and many of my colleagues had the same sentiment.

That’s all.

Edited by Googlyeyes

Thanks @Googlyeyes.

I contacted the new MFA director, Katherine Hubbard, and she didn’t reply to me, instead forwarding my complaints to CMU legal, James Mercolini. Mercolini investigated my allegations and found that faculty at the school had used my thesis work to apply for grant funding and receive 200k from the Sloane foundation, but still refused to acknowledge that it was wrong for my work to continue without attribution, or for others to receive grant support for projects I started.

Hubbard did nothing to help. I reported the sexual misconduct to SOA head Charlie White, and all that did was cause faculty colleagues of the harasser to blackball me and disbelieve me.

So, in summary, CMU School of Fine Art’s response to my participation in a traumatic title IX investigation was to remove my name from my thesis work, receive 200k in funds to sponsor a new position to continue my research project, and ban me from campus for complaining.

This is actually a common practice at CMU: https://mystudentvoices.com/carnegie-mellon-university-empowering-my-rapist-and-revictimizing-me-b5533f5940c?gi=423c44d973f0

1 hour ago, Cmusurvivor said:

Thanks @Googlyeyes.

I contacted the new MFA director, Katherine Hubbard, and she didn’t reply to me, instead forwarding my complaints to CMU legal, James Mercolini. Mercolini investigated my allegations and found that faculty at the school had used my thesis work to apply for grant funding and receive 200k from the Sloane foundation, but still refused to acknowledge that it was wrong for my work to continue without attribution, or for others to receive grant support for projects I started.

Hubbard did nothing to help. I reported the sexual misconduct to SOA head Charlie White, and all that did was cause faculty colleagues of the harasser to blackball me and disbelieve me.

So, in summary, CMU School of Fine Art’s response to my participation in a traumatic title IX investigation was to remove my name from my thesis work, receive 200k in funds to sponsor a new position to continue my research project, and ban me from campus for complaining.

This is actually a common practice at CMU: https://mystudentvoices.com/carnegie-mellon-university-empowering-my-rapist-and-revictimizing-me-b5533f5940c?gi=423c44d973f0

Edited by Googlyeyes

Hi everyone! 

I am also planning on applying to a few MFA programs- it will be my third and possibly last attempt. I did get into BU's painting program a few years ago but decided against going for cost reasons and also I wasn't ecstatic about the program, even thought it did seem pretty good. I applied a second time and didn't get in anywhere, my work really wasn't ready. 

I feel many might be in this catch-22, I feel I need to go go grad school to make more money within the arts (teaching or the small possibility of selling work) but I don't feel I can afford the lifelong financial commitment of the loans- therefore I stay away from applying/going and stay broke because I hate other jobs. (lol. I work I just haven't found a fulfilling and also well paid job). 

I am about to be 30 years old and not sure about anything in life but I just know I have to make a move of some kind, so I'm applying to a few MFA painting programs and also planning on taking a few classes at a local college that would be prerequisite courses for an art therapy masters which I could be eligible for next year. 

Whichever works out will be my future path... 

I'm applying to Bard because I like the structure of the program and I would like to meet/work with Amy Sillman. Also SAIC because it's close to where I am in the midwest. I would consider other midwestern programs if anyone has any to recommend. I have read some accounts of Bard being in a bad state right now on here. 

Edited to add- Also if anyone has any other good MFA low-residency suggestions that would be much appreciated! Does anyone have any thoughts on the SAIC low residency option? 

I'd appreciate it if anyone has any recommendations or thoughts on my plan but be nice please lol! ?

Edited by emoly
add low-residency note.

This isn't specifically directed at anyone because I've seen like three different people ask for this same thing already, but I just want to say that none of us have made our personal names and info public while we're on these forums and we should not expect other people to do so and especially to attach their names, publicly, to their traumatic experiences for us.

If you believe what is said, then believe it. If you don't, then don't, but we don't need to push for someone's name to prove anything. It's just incorrect to assume that there is nothing left to lose and no further retaliation possible in any situation, especially one that none of us are directly involved in. It is not just a matter of owning what you're saying or being willing to prove it. It's often a matter of safety. So you can take the information that's given and think of it however you do, and also respect someone's privacy for their safety and emotional well-being. 

I understand wanting more info and further understanding, but people have limits and boundaries to what they are comfortable with sharing for good reasons too, not just insidious ones, and I'm going to err on the other side of it. 

22 minutes ago, emoly said:

Hi everyone! 

I am also planning on applying to a few MFA programs- it will be my third and possibly last attempt. I did get into BU's painting program a few years ago but decided against going for cost reasons and also I wasn't ecstatic about the program, even thought it did seem pretty good. I applied a second time and didn't get in anywhere, my work really wasn't ready. 

I feel many might be in this catch-22, I feel I need to go go grad school to make more money within the arts (teaching or the small possibility of selling work) but I don't feel I can afford the lifelong financial commitment of the loans- therefore I stay away from applying/going and stay broke because I hate other jobs. (lol. I work I just haven't found a fulfilling and also well paid job). 

I am about to be 30 years old and not sure about anything in life but I just know I have to make a move of some kind, so I'm applying to a few MFA painting programs and also planning on taking a few classes at a local college that would be prerequisite courses for an art therapy masters which I could be eligible for next year. 

Whichever works out will be my future path... 

I'm applying to Bard because I like the structure of the program and I would like to meet/work with Amy Sillman. Also SAIC because it's close to where I am in the midwest. I would consider other midwestern programs if anyone has any to recommend. I have read some accounts of Bard being in a bad state right now on here. 

I'd appreciate it if anyone has any recommendations or thoughts on my plan but be nice please lol! ?

Hey Emoly! 

My situation is kinda similar. Have you looked into fully funded programs specifically? If you're looking to maybe teach one day, especially, there are a lot of schools out there that offer good funding and pay for teaching assistantships during the MFA. That's what I'm hoping for because I definitely can't handle the debt of some schools. I don't know anything about programs in the midwest personally, but there should be a list of them somewhere that are well-funded and other people probably have a better idea of it. But I would apply to SAIC as well as some others with good funding and if you get into those with good offers, you can also try to ask for more aid from SAIC, and see if they'll offer you any more. Good luck with all of it! 

*Edited because I said goof luck. ?

Edited by Strawberrycat

2 minutes ago, Strawberrycat said:

Hey Emoly! 

My situation is kinda similar. Have you looked into fully funded programs specifically? If you're looking to maybe teach one day, especially, there are a lot of schools out there that offer good funding and pay for teaching assistantships during the MFA. That's what I'm hoping for because I definitely can't handle the debt of some schools. I don't know anything about programs in the midwest personally, but there should be a list of them somewhere that are well-funded and other people probably have a better idea of it. But I would apply to SAIC as well as some others with good funding and if you get into those with good offers, you can also try to ask for more aid from SAIC, and see if they'll offer you any more. Goof luck with all of it! 

It would be a huge perk to attend a fully funded program! I could certainly revisit that idea and adding a few more schools to my list. If you don't mind sharing, which schools are you applying to? Thanks for your suggestions and good luck to you as well... ? 

6 hours ago, Cmusurvivor said:

Uh- no.

No one is trying to "out" you. What I stated is that I would appreciate it if I knew the identity of the person who is accusing the police, and entire MFA faculty of theft, rape, and assorted illegalities.

I am not insensitive to your alleged situation, but I am thoroughly skeptical of ANY anonymous posts on the internet, about ANYTHING, especially accusations of rape and illegal acts.

My "management" of ths forum??? This is not MY forum, and I don't "manage" anything. Because of your assessment, I've gone back and reread every post I've dropped, and zero of my posts are "harassing" anyone. This forum is about opinions and academic discussion, and that's what I engage in.

I am private messaging you the remainder of my original post because I think it is worth reading, but I don't think it's appropriate for this forum.

(I edited this post for length and forum decorum)

Edited by The-Fourth-Dimension

3 minutes ago, emoly said:

It would be a huge perk to attend a fully funded program! I could certainly revisit that idea and adding a few more schools to my list. If you don't mind sharing, which schools are you applying to? Thanks for your suggestions and good luck to you as well... ? 

I haven't finalized my list yet, because I'm an indecisive mess, haha. But the UC schools in California have good funding and good programs, so some combo of UCLA, UC Berkeley, Santa Barbara, Davis, Irvine, San Diego. I would like to be in California, but I'm thinking of applying to CCA, SAIC, Yale, and MICA maybe. Looking at Rutgers too. Just because it's my third year applying too and I'm nervous and thinking of going a little wild with it just to see what happens. 

1 minute ago, Strawberrycat said:

I haven't finalized my list yet, because I'm an indecisive mess, haha. But the UC schools in California have good funding and good programs, so some combo of UCLA, UC Berkeley, Santa Barbara, Davis, Irvine, San Diego. I would like to be in California, but I'm thinking of applying to CCA, SAIC, Yale, and MICA maybe. Looking at Rutgers too. Just because it's my third year applying too and I'm nervous and thinking of going a little wild with it just to see what happens. 

I soooooo relate to the indecisive mess part. please! Story of my life!!!!! 

I love the idea of going wild with it! There's freedom in giving up control of the outcome/ having no expectations. Hope whatever happens works out great for you!! These are some great programs. Also my sister lived in CA and I'm madly jealous! Will keep good vibes in mind for you...  

16 minutes ago, emoly said:

I soooooo relate to the indecisive mess part. please! Story of my life!!!!! 

I love the idea of going wild with it! There's freedom in giving up control of the outcome/ having no expectations. Hope whatever happens works out great for you!! These are some great programs. Also my sister lived in CA and I'm madly jealous! Will keep good vibes in mind for you...  

Glad I'm not alone in it at least! ?

Yeah, it's going to be expensive, so I can't go too too wild, but at least some of the schools have fee waivers available, thankfully. Thank you!! I hope everything goes well for you too! 

Here's a list that seems like it was updated this year on some programs that have good funding: https://www.profellow.com/fellowships/fully-funded-mfa-in-studio-art-and-visual-art/ 

7 hours ago, Strawberrycat said:

This isn't specifically directed at anyone because I've seen like three different people ask for this same thing already...

Expecting privacy as a community contributor and critiquer is not the equivalent as using an MFA forum to air your personal grievances and accusing an entire Art Department and campus police of conspiring against you to commit rape and theft without offering any supporting evidence or personal identity. I can't just go into court anonymously, firing on all eight cylinders, accusing someone of jacking my van without any proof and then expecting everyone to take me seriously just because I SAY so.

I put my personal information out there because I like people to know who I am when I share opinions and information with them. If others want to post anonymously, then that's what they do and is their business and right. Plenty of people here on the FOF have PM'd me with their portfolios and personal info to check out. I respect their privacy and would never share their identity. That is the correct way to behave.

If anyone on any forum is anonymously posting other people's personal information by first and last name with addresses and phone numbers and places of employment included and then accusing them of rape and theft without any sort of factual content or proof, then at the very least the inquiry should be addressed as to who THEY are. I did that in a kind way, and the poster accused ME of harassing them. Now I'M the bad guy, too? Okay... Yeeesh... That's not justice, that's trolling.

There cannot be an expectation that people are allowed to post other peoples DIRECT PERSONAL INFORMATION, accuse them of heinous acts, and then feign outrage when an individual asks the poster about their identity. That's not justice, nor is it fair. That is called slander.

Evidence is crucial and is expected in a justice oriented society where the accused are afforded the Presumption of Innocence. The United States has several amendments to the constitution that outline this. Even the International Criminal Court has Article 66 that accused individuals are given the Presumption of Innocence. If ALL of that doesn't matter to a society and we should just believe every anonymous poster because they SAY SO, then why should we have ethical and moral expectations of one another at all?

This poster I am addressing didn't "reach out" for help. Their first comment was an attempt to WRECK people, by NAME and PERSONAL info, anonymously. Fuck that.

I'm going to drop this, right now, because I gotta say that this years FOF is kooky and I feel like I'm being trolled. From the OP who started this years 2022 FOF and never posted again, to the intermittent anonymous argumentative posts, to the rando pop-up posters that just appear out of thin air to upvote, to the drama posters... this years forum is off, and it's impossible to ignore.

I hope it gets better.

14 hours ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

Expecting privacy as a community contributor and critiquer is not the equivalent as using an MFA forum to air your personal grievances and accusing an entire Art Department and campus police of conspiring against you to commit rape and theft without offering any supporting evidence or personal identity. I can't just go into court anonymously, firing on all eight cylinders, accusing someone of jacking my van without any proof and then expecting everyone to take me seriously just because I SAY so.

I put my personal information out there because I like people to know who I am when I share opinions and information with them. If others want to post anonymously, then that's what they do and is their business and right. Plenty of people here on the FOF have PM'd me with their portfolios and personal info to check out. I respect their privacy and would never share their identity. That is the correct way to behave.

If anyone on any forum is anonymously posting other people's personal information by first and last name with addresses and phone numbers and places of employment included and then accusing them of rape and theft without any sort of factual content or proof, then at the very least the inquiry should be addressed as to who THEY are. I did that in a kind way, and the poster accused ME of harassing them. Now I'M the bad guy, too? Okay... Yeeesh... That's not justice, that's trolling.

There cannot be an expectation that people are allowed to post other peoples DIRECT PERSONAL INFORMATION, accuse them of heinous acts, and then feign outrage when an individual asks the poster about their identity. That's not justice, nor is it fair. That is called slander.

Evidence is crucial and is expected in a justice oriented society where the accused are afforded the Presumption of Innocence. The United States has several amendments to the constitution that outline this. Even the International Criminal Court has Article 66 that accused individuals are given the Presumption of Innocence. If ALL of that doesn't matter to a society and we should just believe every anonymous poster because they SAY SO, then why should we have ethical and moral expectations of one another at all?

This poster I am addressing didn't "reach out" for help. Their first comment was an attempt to WRECK people, by NAME and PERSONAL info, anonymously. Fuck that.

I'm going to drop this, right now, because I gotta say that this years FOF is kooky and I feel like I'm being trolled. From the OP who started this years 2022 FOF and never posted again, to the intermittent anonymous argumentative posts, to the rando pop-up posters that just appear out of thin air to upvote, to the drama posters... this years forum is off, and it's impossible to ignore.

I hope it gets better.

I get what you're saying, but if someone actually went through those things, they would not have the privilege of being safe enough to put their name out there with it. They are serious accusations, absolutely. If they're not true, then yeah, that's libelous. But if they are true, no way should that person put their name out there either. Asking them to do that in a public forum to prove it is like throwing someone accused of being a witch into a lake and saying if they're able to survive it then they're a witch, and if they don't, then they're innocent- but then they also drown. It's a catch 22. That's all I'm trying to say.

But this isn't court and it's not my job to be judge and jury, so I feel I'm not personally owed personal information. You feel safe putting your info out there and that's great, but that's equally as much a luxury and a privilege as it is to do with your honor and ethics and morals. In an ideal world, everyone would be able to, but things aren't ideal, so I personally just choose to prioritize the safety of a person saying that they're a victim in a situation over the reputation of someone who, although isn't here in this forum to defend themselves, clearly has institutional backing.

However, @Cmusurvivor , if it were me, I would personally redact the names in your post. He makes some important points- we don't know who you are, but based on the info you provided and the letter, the people you're talking about would be able to determine and probably prove that it's you writing it.

But anyway, I've been watching the freak out forums for a few years now and it seems like every year they get intense. Everyone has differing opinions and is wildly stressed out. Tension runs high and people start arguing and coming up with conspiracy theories about each other. This isn't anything new. The freak out part is in the name, haha. But there is a lot of support and important information amidst it, so it just comes with the situation, I guess.

*Edited to fix the @ . 

Edited by Strawberrycat

On 12/11/2021 at 11:49 AM, Cmusurvivor said:

Thanks @Googlyeyes.

CMU was actually on my list. I was looking forward to working with the printmaking head Imin Yeh. But now I'm seriously considering removing it from my list.

Thank you for sharing and coming forward with this information. I hope you have some sort of support outside of the university.

On 12/11/2021 at 4:10 PM, emoly said:

Also SAIC because it's close to where I am in the midwest. I would consider other midwestern programs if anyone has any to recommend. I have read some accounts of Bard being in a bad state right now on here. 

Edited to add- Also if anyone has any other good MFA low-residency suggestions that would be much appreciated! Does anyone have any thoughts on the SAIC low residency option? 

Hi, Emoly! Some great schools in the midwest that I applied to were SAIC, Cranbrook, and University of Michigan. Other good midwestern schools I considered are Northwestern and Michigan State. I know people who are currently at University of Iowa and Minnesota who seem to be doing well. You mentioned funding; of those I believe Michigan State, Northwestern, and Iowa are all fully funded. University of Michigan used to be, and maybe is again, but when I applied a couple years ago Michigan was fully-funded for only in-state students, and was like 75%+ funded for out of state students (there were also some grants to apply for that would end up making Michigan fully funded).

SAIC low residency seems like a great program. I was accepted there as well as to SAIC full residency; SAIC was one of the hardest schools to turn down but I could pick only one. If you haven't already, another great low residency program you might want to look into is SVA's MFA Art Practice https://sva.edu/academics/graduate/mfa-art-practice

I hope that helps, and good luck!

14 hours ago, Eric from America said:

Hi, Emoly! Some great schools in the midwest that I applied to were SAIC, Cranbrook, and University of Michigan. Other good midwestern schools I considered are Northwestern and Michigan State. I know people who are currently at University of Iowa and Minnesota who seem to be doing well. You mentioned funding; of those I believe Michigan State, Northwestern, and Iowa are all fully funded. University of Michigan used to be, and maybe is again, but when I applied a couple years ago Michigan was fully-funded for only in-state students, and was like 75%+ funded for out of state students (there were also some grants to apply for that would end up making Michigan fully funded).

SAIC low residency seems like a great program. I was accepted there as well as to SAIC full residency; SAIC was one of the hardest schools to turn down but I could pick only one. If you haven't already, another great low residency program you might want to look into is SVA's MFA Art Practice https://sva.edu/academics/graduate/mfa-art-practice

I hope that helps, and good luck!

Hi Eric From America! 

Thank you- I didn't know SVA has a low residency option! I will definitely check that out. I've been looking into Northwestern and I think it looks like a great program with some impressive visiting artists. This would also be great because I have family in Illinois. I will look into University of Michigan and Michigan State as well. :) 

Hi all, I hope the applications are coming along well! 

I just graduated from an incredible MFA program this spring and wanted to recommend it here one last time.

Georgia State University in Atlanta, GA offers full tuition waivers and monthly stipends for ALL accepted MFA students. There are programs in Ceramics, Drawing & Painting, Graphic Design, Interior Design, Photography, Printmaking, Sculpture, and Textiles, as well as in Art History and Art Education. Additionally there are five scholarships available to incoming MFAs (plus smaller funding opportunities during the program: I received around $5k of additional support from these smaller opportunities while attending in addition to my tuition waiver + monthly stipend). They also fund/provide a 3rd year experience which in the past has included exhibiting at Aqua Miami or attending a two-week artist residency in Ireland.

https://artdesign.gsu.edu/gradinfo | IG Account: @gsu_artdesign

Out of the 2021 MFA graduates, six of us obtained full time university teaching positions straight out the gate (including tenure track Assistant Professor positions, plus visiting faculty/lecturer positions at R1 universities). I left Georgia State with my first museum solo exhibition (and another on the way!), gallery representation with a 2022 solo show, and a tenure track Assistant Professor job. The guidance from faculty at Georgia State made all the difference in making this happen!

On top of that, the transformation in my studio practice really shocked me. I grew in ways I never expected during my time at Georgia State. The faculty are all working artists respected in their field, and their guidance led me to develop stronger conceptual and technical approaches in my practice. There is an interdisciplinary focus and faculty from outside my area were always willing to do studio visits when invited.

If anyone would like to chat about the Georgia State MFA program please email me (melissa@melissahuang.com | www.melissahuang.com) or DM me on Instagram (@melissahuangart)! I would be happy to answer any questions you may have (I was in Drawing & Painting so particularly contact me if that's your focus). You can also reach out to artgrad@gsu.edu with questions/tour requests for the Graduate Coordinator.

Finally, I am now an Assistant Professor at Georgia Southern University! We have a growing graduate program. This is a hidden gem of an MFA program that offers financial support, strong attention from the faculty, and private studio space. Additionally our location between Atlanta and Savannah, GA offers many professional opportunities! If anyone has questions about this program please contact me and I would be happy to connect you with the Graduate Director: https://cah.georgiasouthern.edu/art/majors-programs/master-of-fine-arts/

I remember how scared I was when applying for grad programs, but it really is worth it. Hang in there, and good luck :)

Does anyone have any last minute studio based programs on the east coast/new england that I have been sleeping on? I wish NYC or other top super expensive schools were on the table, but I think my current list is BU, VCU, Rutgers, Tyler. I am only looking for schools that prioritize critique and making to be the base of the curriculum, but it seems like a lot of schools are currently falling apart at the seams. Any other suggestions?