MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

painting/drawing person here. I've applied to Yale, SUNY purchase, UMASS Dartmouth, UCONN, and Tyler. I picked them because I want to live in the northeast, plus this spread goes from fully funded to competitive funding so hopefully i'll have some good money options. I also think highly of the faculty at each.

will update when I hear back from any of these schools. good luck

Hi all, second go-around ever here. I know this site leans more to the Fine Arts side but if anyone here is in Illustration, just know that I'm stumbling around right there with you.

I write and illustrate comics and wordless picture books, though my freelance work spans video/animation, editorial, poster design, interactive books, etc. My favorite medium is brush & ink, every time. Last time I applied was in 2017, just a year out of undergraduate, and I'll admit to being very clueless, knowing I loved the idea of grad school but not knowing why I wanted to go. As a result, my SOP was filled mostly with what I thought faculty wanted to hear rather than anything authentic about me or my work. Here I am four years later with a much clearer vision of what I want to accomplish :)

I've applied to RISD and FIT. If you'd like to talk about those schools or MFA Illustration matters in general, swap portfolios, commiserate, etc., feel free to shoot me a message. Good luck to everyone!

Edited by Slowly

On 12/30/2021 at 9:32 AM, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

Hello! I used to work at UCSD in the La Jolla Playhouse. I really like the campus. I recently turned in an application for the UCSD MFA program. I'm actually from San Diego and have been living in Northern California for while. Are there any artists that focus on Chicano Art in the UCSD MFA program? What about sculptors, specifically sculptors who create large-scale art? Do they have a good metal-work studio? What about bronze? Do they have a metal forge? Are any of the professors interested in large-scale metalwork?

Hey sorry for the late response. I kinda forgot about this forum for a bit. But yes we have a lot of Latinx and Chicano artists, I recommend going through the list MFA students and professors. We have a metalshop that is barely being used but it’s there. Considering that it’s close to Tijuana and the Border, faculty like to see students working with those resources. 

7 hours ago, artsyfartsy2000 said:

Hey sorry for the late response. I kinda forgot about this forum for a bit. But yes we have a lot of Latinx and Chicano artists, I recommend going through the list MFA students and professors. We have a metalshop that is barely being used but it’s there. Considering that it’s close to Tijuana and the Border, faculty like to see students working with those resources. 

BARELY BEING USED??? Oh boi. I would tear that UP! I'm wanting to still work with metals, but also work on my nu-media explorations, robotics and what-not. I got my fingers crossed pretty hard for UCSD!

18 hours ago, Slowly said:

Hi all, second go-around ever here. I know this site leans more to the Fine Arts side but if anyone here is in Illustration, just know that I'm stumbling around right there with you.

I write and illustrate comics and wordless picture books, though my freelance work spans video/animation, editorial, poster design, interactive books, etc. My favorite medium is brush & ink, every time. Last time I applied was in 2017, just a year out of undergraduate, and I'll admit to being very clueless, knowing I loved the idea of grad school but not knowing why I wanted to go. As a result, my SOP was filled mostly with what I thought faculty wanted to hear rather than anything authentic about me or my work. Here I am four years later with a much clearer vision of what I want to accomplish :)

I've applied to RISD and FIT. If you'd like to talk about those schools or MFA Illustration matters in general, swap portfolios, commiserate, etc., feel free to shoot me a message. Good luck to everyone!

don't know much about illustration, but I went to risd for undergrad so feel free to dm me if u have questions about the school and/or providence and surrounding cities in rhode island !!

Also, here's a fun tip: I was able to find several university programs [who shall not be named] checking out my artist website via google search [which revealed their IP address and traffic source]. I have Squarespace and was able to find this via the "analytics" > "activity log" tab. Just thought it's a fun treasure hunt if anyone wants to see if their programs are checking them out!

Hello new friends! First time MFA applicant here, hoping to make my way into a painting program. I'm definitely feeling the nerves now that the apps are in and it's out of my hands!

I applied to

• Northwestern
  • SAIC
  • UT Austin
  • UNC Chapel Hill

I read @recyclable's advice to look at the squarespace analytics and you bet I'm going to be checking these constantly now :D

AYYY! YOOOOOOOOO!!! Just a heads up...

Competitive art used to be in the Olympics

Between 1912 and 1948, the Olympic Games awarded medals in sculpture, music, painting, and architecture, according to Smithsonian magazine. After a heated debate in the post-war years, the competitions were scrapped. John Copley of Britain won one of the final medals: At 73, he would be the oldest medalist in Olympic history if his silver, awarded for his 1948 engraving "Polo Players," were still counted.

There is also Walter W. Winans!!!

Walter W. Winans (April 5, 1852 – August 12, 1920) was an American marksman, horse breeder, sculptor, and painter who participated in the 1908 and 1912 Summer Olympics. He won two medals for shooting: a gold in 1908 and a silver in 1912, as well as demonstrating the sport of pistol duelling in the 1908 Games. He also won a gold medal for his sculpture An American Trotter at Stockholm in 1912. In addition, Winans wrote ten books.

Winans was HARD AF!!! Dude was shooting guns and making animals live and duling and running and travelling and writing books like a BOSS!!! WALTER WAS A MAC, STRAIGHT UP!

Ol' Walt harkened back to the O.G. Olympians of the classical/golden era of Greek history, like almost three stacks ago. The Greeks were masterful. In Greek society it wasn't enough just to be a theoretically visual artist. As an artist, you had to understand the fundamentals and be able to create things that bettered society and were worth looking at and considering, beautiful things. BUT, you were also expected to understand philosophy, mathematics, as well as be good at athletics.

That is a well rounded individual. A holistic education for an advanced and enlightened society.

The word “art” is derived from the Latin ars, which originally meant “skill” or “craft.” These meanings are still primary in other English words derived from ars, such as “artifact” (a thing made by human skill) and “artisan” (a person skilled at things).

But it's not like there weren't problems and lame crap, tho. Like, if you didn't do stuff correctly, they would whip your ass. Like literally BEAT YOU UP!!! ? And they could even fine you cash-money for things like starting the race too early or poking some guy's eye. Oh, also, dudes only. No chicks allowed. PLUS, you're gonna be butt-naked in front of all the homies. ? Pshhh... I'd prob be all like, "nahhh."

They should have kept fine arts (visual) in the Olympics.

Art competitions at the 1912 Summer Olympics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_competitions_at_the_1912_Summer_Olympics

Walter W. Winans Art:

https://www.invaluable.com/artist/winans-walter-4vvrq20jvs/sold-at-auction-prices/

Look at this crazy guy!

1*E-gAEbXFeMqhPDU1NPPPQg.png

♥️GET GUD AND BE LIKE WALT?

Edited by The-Fourth-Dimension
"This Is How We Do It" Song by Montell Jordan

Just got an email from RISD inviting me to an interview for Illustration. I'm not sure if this is THE interview, but the email calls it the "next stage", so I am choosing to feel very proud at this moment, lol.

I should mention Illustration is their absolute newest program (this is their first year ever) so I do not think this means their more established programs like Painting are already contacting anyone this early. Still wishing everyone hears back soon and gets good news!

Gmail sorted an email from a school (just an automated one about receiving the app) into my promotions tab so I almost missed it, and it reminded me about how last year someone missed an interview email, I think, because it went to their spam. So check spam/social/promotions boxes daily! 

9 hours ago, Strawberrycat said:

Gmail sorted an email from a school (just an automated one about receiving the app) into my promotions tab so I almost missed it, and it reminded me about how last year someone missed an interview email, I think, because it went to their spam. So check spam/social/promotions boxes daily! 

Also double check that your SlideRoom account is linked to your regular email, or make sure to check the one that it is linked to as frequently! Last year I forgot I had mine connected to my undergrad email account, and had a surprise interview request in that inbox. 

Edited by katfude5

16 hours ago, Strawberrycat said:

6 hours ago, katfude5 said:

Also double check that your SlideRoom account is linked to your regular email, or make sure to check the one that it is linked to as frequently! Last year I forgot I had mine connected to my undergrad email account, and had a surprise interview request in that inbox. 

YUUUUUP! Because you guys posted these, I decided to just give my applications a once over cuz you both made me paranoid. LO AND BEHOLD... friggin, my San Diego State University LOR's had not been sent!!! I panicked and hit the resend thing, then I hit up my recommenders and asked what's up, and they never even got the requests. Or, they did, but they went to the "round file," right off.

CRAP!!! I had to remind the ladies who were writing my LOR's to check their emails again because I resent the requests.

SDSU utilizes this deal called "Interfolio" for their admissions process. It's disjointed, bizarre, and clunky, unlike the UC and Stanford things which are moar efficient and easy. A couple emails I got from Interfolio were flagged in my MacMail on my MacBook, for some reason. I had to tell it to send stuff from Interfolio to my inbox. Outlook flagged Interfolio, as well.

I wrote the program to tell them what time it was. I hope that's okay.

So lame.

Thank you for the heads up Katfude and SC. That's why I love this forum. I did some portraits of you both as thanks.

Anyone else have Interfolio problems???

From what I've read on previous years FOF's, and from my own experience, this weekend is when denials of admission have gone out for some of the U.C.'s, and next week is when interview invites start showing up in our emails.

C'MON!!! ??

Strawberry-Cat.png

Katfude.png

2 hours ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

YUUUUUP! Because you guys posted these, I decided to just give my applications a once over cuz you both made me paranoid. LO AND BEHOLD... friggin, my San Diego State University LOR's had not been sent!!! I panicked and hit the resend thing, then I hit up my recommenders and asked what's up, and they never even got the requests. Or, they did, but they went to the "round file," right off.

CRAP!!! I had to remind the ladies who were writing my LOR's to check their emails again because I resent the requests.

SDSU utilizes this deal called "Interfolio" for their admissions process. It's disjointed, bizarre, and clunky, unlike the UC and Stanford things which are moar efficient and easy. A couple emails I got from Interfolio were flagged in my MacMail on my MacBook, for some reason. I had to tell it to send stuff from Interfolio to my inbox. Outlook flagged Interfolio, as well.

I wrote the program to tell them what time it was. I hope that's okay.

So lame.

Thank you for the heads up Katfude and SC. That's why I love this forum. I did some portraits of you both as thanks.

Anyone else have Interfolio problems???

From what I've read on previous years FOF's, and from my own experience, this weekend is when denials of admission have gone out for some of the U.C.'s, and next week is when interview invites start showing up in our emails.

C'MON!!! ??

Strawberry-Cat.png

Katfude.png

I'm glad it helped! I hope they can get the letters in asap. Thank you for the laugh and the beautiful portrait. ???

Hi All!

I've been lurking for a bit and thought I'd finally make an account and post! 

I'm applying for both MFA and MA programs. Sorry that it's not all MFA! I couldn't find a thread specific enough to my situation haha. My goal is to be a Texas arts educator and freelance illustrator simultaneously as I have a passion for both. I'm trying to stay in Texas close to family, which is why my out of state programs are all low residency/online.

Here are the programs I'm applying to:

• University of Texas at Austin- MA in Art Education, Schools Track with Certification
  • University of North Texas- MA in Art Education, Schools Track with Certification
  • University of Houston- MEd in Curriculum and Instruction, Concentration in Arts Education
  • Boston University- MA in Art Education (Online)
  • School of Visual Arts- MFA in Visual Narrative (Low Residency)
  • University of Hartford- MFA in Illustration (Low Residency)
  • Hollins University- MFA in Children's Literature & Children's Illustration (Low Residency)

I haven't heard back from any schools yet, but hoping something comes up this week! My top choice is UT Austin but I'd be happy doing any of these programs.