MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

Hi everyone,

I applied to both Fine Arts and Film/Animation/Media Design, and I will be sharing my updates if that helps

Keio Media Design(KMD)-interview

SAIC-FVNMA-rejected

Carnegie Mellon University(CMU)-Fine Arts-pending

Calarts-Experimental animation-pending

RISD-Digital media-pending

VCU-Kinetic Images-pending

UC Berkeley(UCB)-Art Practice-pending

If anyone has received interview from UCB plz let me know! I guess I am very likely rejected by UCB.

4 hours ago, eatyoveggies said:

Hey everyone ? another long time lurker here to join the fun. I wonder how many more lurkers are out there!?? I’ve been considering applying for a few years now and decided this is the year. Applied to FSU, GSU, UArk, UNCG, UofU, ASU, and Indiana. So far I’ve interviewed at FSU and it seems like an amazing place.

So many interviews were sent out this same time last year so I am dying with anticipation!!! ? good luck all!

That’s awesome that you got an interview! I applied to FSU too! How did the interview go? I just finished my app for FSU yesterday and I’m not sure what their timeline is for interviews/decisions

4 hours ago, javpppppp said:

Does anybody know which mfa's are still accepting applications? 

UC Santa Cruz is accepting till 11:59pm Pacific Time. I was admitted to UCSC and somewhat regret not attending. If you can bang out your app in like an hour, then do it. UCSC is fab.

¡¡¡ANDELE PUES!!!

https://applygrad.ucsc.edu/apply/

Also available at the fabuloso CSU system are:

CSU Fullerton MFA - 02/07/2022

Cal State LA MFA - 02/15/2022

CSU Northridge MFA - 02/01/2022 (Good school for Chicanos)

Sacramento State MFA - 02/15/2022 (SHOUT-OUT TO MY ALMA MATER)

CSU San Bernardino MFA - 02/15/2022

San Francisco State MFA - 02/01/2022

San Jose State MFA - 04/01/2022 (SJSU is RAD) One of my fave artists, David Middlebrook, is from there. David Middlebrook Art

Gotta give love to my Cali institutions.

Edited by The-Fourth-Dimension
Significant understanding stole the goods.

7 hours ago, Pickle95 said:

Oh wow yeah, I had a lot of these professors too lol, or at least interacted with them. Definitely had Buchwald for a few years, quite the character but I learned a lot. Masback was cool too, had him and Joe Stauber senior year. Kit and Greg were great, not my professors but had them in my studio a lot. I actually didn't have Michael Brennan though, I had Jen Mazza for seminar towards the end of my time there. She might have been newer to the program by that time? Anyway, nice to see a fellow Pratt alum on here. :)

Hahaha, yes. It's nice that the painting/drawing students had so much overlap. I remember the drawing and sculpture students were kind of the unicorns of the program because mostly people were in painting.  I didn't get Jen Mazza for any classes she might have been newer as you said. 

It is so nice to see Pratt alum! Congratulations on your invite to an interview with Stanford! Please keep us posted. 

1 hour ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

UC Santa Cruz is accepting till 11:59pm Pacific Time. I was admitted to UCSC and somewhat regret not attending. If you can bang out your app in like an hour, then do it. UCSC is fab.

¡¡¡ANDELE PUES!!!

https://applygrad.ucsc.edu/apply/

Also available at the fabuloso CSU system are:

CSU Fullerton MFA - 02/07/2022

Cal State LA MFA - 02/15/2022

CSU Northridge MFA - 02/01/2022 (Good school for Chicanos)

Sacramento State MFA - 02/15/2022 (SHOUT-OUT TO MY ALMA MATER)

CSU San Bernardino MFA - 02/15/2022

San Francisco State MFA - 02/01/2022

San Jose State MFA - 04/01/2022 (SJSU is RAD) One of my fave artists, David Middlebrook, is from there. David Middlebrook Art

Gotta give love to my Cali institutions.

Thanks for that! So helpful. 

Wow really like his work, it's amazing!

7 hours ago, eatyoveggies said:

One of my mentors had a student go to umass Dartmouth and she loved it! Another past student of his is a professor there now. good program as far as I have heard. 

o.o I am shooketh.

I need more info on UMass, their location in New Bedford was really important to me. Whaling history, fishing, the long coastline of Cape Cod. Big Moby Dick energy. My work usually revolves around coastlines. Only applied to schools that had a good coastline nearby.

I was a bit worried that the Painting/Drawing program is managed and taught by only 3 professors, and I didn't identify with their work much. I really liked Thomas Ladd's work, but he's teaching graphic design. Another thing that surprised me was recently the school recreated a piece by Nancy Holt with some engineering students?

I also have no idea what it's like in New Bedford. Do you mind sharing what your friends experience was? Like did they feel challenged, connectedto their peers, and developed their practice? Did they have good studio spaces and resources to create work? Also, did they live closer to UMass Dartmouth or the CVPA campus in New Bedford? 

I saw a recent MFA grad from UW did a mentorship thing in the summer at CVPA for the students, and that made me wonder a lot of things. Half the faculty profiles are RISD and Yale grads. I might be exaggerating by saying half, but it was quite a few.

Any and all information on UMass Dartmouth's program is appreciated. I feel like I have exhausted Google Search. 

7 hours ago, Strawberrycat said:

Yeah, Govedare's great too! I didn't know his work prior, but it seems like the whole faculty line up is pretty stellar. I applied to Painting as well! 

That's understandable. What kind of interdisciplinary work are you hoping to do? I do painting and sculpture myself, but I applied for the painting options when I had to choose one. 

I applied to painting programs with a dominantly drawing, photo, writing, video and sculpture portfolio, and like 1 "painting". ? And it was, mostly drawing. I feel like school's don't worry too much about the formal distinction between mediums. I am attracted to painting and history behind it. I think I want to do more formal painting for grad school, but maintain other mediums as part of my practice. I am kind of nerdy so I want to take a lot of classes outside of the art department to inform my work. I noticed you applied to a lot of California schools, I haven't applied to a single program in California only because living with a car is not realistic for me and I felt the competition is so high compared to East Coast? I wish you all the best during this difficult time of waiting. ❤️ 

I wish I could have applied to University of Oregon, their program seems rad and the cohorts are producing awesome work. But I tried to keep my applications limited for financial purposes. 

On 1/30/2022 at 6:13 AM, RyanV said:

Hey All,

Long time lurker first time caller.

thank you all for so much valuable info. I’m starting to get pretty nervous. I’ve heard back and have interviews with SAIC and SVA for photo.

Still waiting on Yale, Columbia, Hunters, Parsons UCLA and Pratt. 

I feel like my heart is always in my throat now. 

I know Yale photo was reviewing candidates  this last week with their current class. 

Does anyone know once you interview is there ever pressure to accept before hearing from other schools? How does that work?

Good luck to everyone this year!

Thanks for the update on Yale lol!

Let me know if you get into Pratt. I heard the MFA program at Pratt there's a lot of intermingling across disciplines between the cohorts and tons of group shows curated by the students. Good luck to you!

5 hours ago, Antisocialprintmaker said:

That’s awesome that you got an interview! I applied to FSU too! How did the interview go? I just finished my app for FSU yesterday and I’m not sure what their timeline is for interviews/decisions

Nice! Good luck!! The interview went well. They asked mainly why grad school, why FSU, and asked about my work/influences. 

Their "priority funding" deadline was 1/1 so I applied then. The person I talked to wasn't sure about their timeline either but said they were moving pretty quickly! 

3 hours ago, whitewhales said:

o.o I am shooketh.

I need more info on UMass, their location in New Bedford was really important to me. Whaling history, fishing, the long coastline of Cape Cod. Big Moby Dick energy. My work usually revolves around coastlines. Only applied to schools that had a good coastline nearby.

I was a bit worried that the Painting/Drawing program is managed and taught by only 3 professors, and I didn't identify with their work much. I really liked Thomas Ladd's work, but he's teaching graphic design. Another thing that surprised me was recently the school recreated a piece by Nancy Holt with some engineering students?

I also have no idea what it's like in New Bedford. Do you mind sharing what your friends experience was? Like did they feel challenged, connectedto their peers, and developed their practice? Did they have good studio spaces and resources to create work? Also, did they live closer to UMass Dartmouth or the CVPA campus in New Bedford? 

I saw a recent MFA grad from UW did a mentorship thing in the summer at CVPA for the students, and that made me wonder a lot of things. Half the faculty profiles are RISD and Yale grads. I might be exaggerating by saying half, but it was quite a few.

Any and all information on UMass Dartmouth's program is appreciated. I feel like I have exhausted Google Search. 

I only know from what my mentor told me (he is the one who knows the student and prof) but the student was successful and really able to develop her ideas.  Personally, I would suggest reaching out to former or current students to get more of an idea of the student perspective. I emailed some students at different schools a couple years back and all of them responded and were happy to answer questions.

If the coast and history is important to you I feel like it would be a great fit! The cape is so close, and MA is small so you can easily travel to all the MA coastline, as well as RI, NH, and ME :) I used to live in the New England area so I am fond of it.

1 hour ago, eatyoveggies said:

I only know from what my mentor told me (he is the one who knows the student and prof) but the student was successful and really able to develop her ideas.  Personally, I would suggest reaching out to former or current students to get more of an idea of the student perspective. I emailed some students at different schools a couple years back and all of them responded and were happy to answer questions.

If the coast and history is important to you I feel like it would be a great fit! The cape is so close, and MA is small so you can easily travel to all the MA coastline, as well as RI, NH, and ME :) I used to live in the New England area so I am fond of it.

Not sure how to see their current cohorts, do they have profiles online that I'm unaware of?

Lucky you, NE is beautiful! Yes it is important, but it's a pro and not a determining factor. My practice is pretty site specific so me going to grad school away from my local environment where my focus is on is out of bounds for my work anyway. Clicking with the faculty and the cohorts is higher up on my priorities to develop my work. So gotta do some research on that with UMass D. 

Where are you waiting to hear from? I have read the old posts but they all merge into one Mega Grad Student, if that makes sense. 

26 minutes ago, whitewhales said:

Not sure how to see their current cohorts, do they have profiles online that I'm unaware of?

Lucky you, NE is beautiful! Yes it is important, but it's a pro and not a determining factor. My practice is pretty site specific so me going to grad school away from my local environment where my focus is on is out of bounds for my work anyway. Clicking with the faculty and the cohorts is higher up on my priorities to develop my work. So gotta do some research on that with UMass D. 

Where are you waiting to hear from? I have read the old posts but they all merge into one Mega Grad Student, if that makes sense. 

Usually when schools don't have easy to find profiles I look at the past thesis exhibitions to get a sense of the students. UMD has a list of past exhibitions here .Sometimes they will link to profiles or websites.. other times I'll just do a google search to see their website/insta. Looks like their 2020 group has some profiles linked on the exhibit page!

I definitely feel you- that is a great way of describing it, mega grad student?. So far I'm waiting to hear back from an interview at FSU. Haven't heard from the others I applied to (GSU, UNCG, UArk, ASU, Uof Utah, and Indiana)

12 hours ago, eatyoveggies said:

Hey everyone ? another long time lurker here to join the fun. I wonder how many more lurkers are out there!?? I’ve been considering applying for a few years now and decided this is the year. Applied to FSU, GSU, UArk, UNCG, UofU, ASU, and Indiana. So far I’ve interviewed at FSU and it seems like an amazing place.

So many interviews were sent out this same time last year so I am dying with anticipation!!! ? good luck all!

Hi! Is FSU = Florida State University?

11 hours ago, javpppppp said:

Does anybody know which mfa's are still accepting applications? 

VCUarts deadline is today, Feb 1 https://arts.vcu.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/graduate-applicants/

Cranbrook deadline is today, Feb 1 https://cranbrookart.edu/admissions/