MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

6 minutes ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

Stop apologizing. You don't owe me an apology. You didn't upset me. I don't have any "weight" in this forum. I like to talk and listen to interesting stories from other artists, and I like peace. That's what you do with social media and a community that you care about. You engage in it instead of just using it like a vampire to suck energy out of.

Look, I'm done with this sophomoric nonsense. Just Block me. I don't care.

I think I upset you. 

Vampire? I just got here last night, didn't know this place existed. Don't think that's a very nice thing to say or an informed statement either. I was pretty happy to find this place. I know it provides a refuge for a lot of people during these difficult times of waiting. And I know you are very giving in your knowledge, and experience. 

I can tell from your writing patterns that you are a little on edge. Warranted, during these difficult anxious times, and spending so much energy on a stranger like me. And a newbie, too. 

My engagement with the forum will be very limited now, 4th Dimension. There's some really nice people on here, and I wish them all the best. You are, nice people, too, you're just high-strung. Too high strung for me, at least. And I wish you the best. I hope you get into Stanford. I read that you're really into their program.

So I will be in incognito mode, not Vampiric mode, but thats to keep peace and save my energy during my anxious time of waiting. 

Good luck to you. And I would like to apologize again, for causing you any distress and putting you on edge with my words on the internet. 

Hi guys, has anyone received an interview invite for RISD Sculpture MFA?

I heard they have been sent out and I am on edge right now. I am an international student so I am not sure if didn't receive an invite today means they are not interested in me or maybe it's a bit slow for the international students.

Was a nice 20 something hours of chit chatting with you guys. 

A final note to all who applied to Pratt and are waiting: They're just about to review Sliderooms and will be deciding sometime in Mid-February who they will be interviewing and proceed setting up the interviews. So there's a wait for that. 

Good luck everyone. Is there a private message on here? Feel free to get in touch.. 

18 minutes ago, Lynn9900 said:

I heard they have been sent out and I am on edge right now. I am an international student so I am not sure if didn't receive an invite today means they are not interested in me or maybe it's a bit slow for the international students.

Yeah! I got an interview request this afternoon actually. I have no idea if they do things differently for international students. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but the email did say they reviewed all applications for the program.... 

Hopefully you'll get some good news soon.

Side note: I've been trying to prepare for interview questions and kind of stumped by How does your work fit in with the contemporary art world/scene?

Does anyone know how you're supposed to answer this question? Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!

This forum is awesome and anxiety inducing.  I'm trying to get into an MFA painting/drawing program.

((waves)) hello!  Newbie here.  Applied at:

Yale

SAIC

RISD

ULCA

Pratt

So far, got my first rejection from SAIC.  I'm having a hard time waiting.

1 hour ago, HJAn said:

Yeah! I got an interview request this afternoon actually. I have no idea if they do things differently for international students. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but the email did say they reviewed all applications for the program.... 

Side note: I've been trying to prepare for interview questions and kind of stumped by How does your work fit in with the contemporary art world/scene?

Does anyone know how you're supposed to answer this question? Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!

I find the “how does your work fit in with the contemporary art world/scene?” question to be a terrible question.  I tend to focus on talking about it in relationship to education/university/artist run programs. It’s really hard to talk about where your work fits when you might be so young to making or may not have access to specific communities or opportunities. I try to rephrase this to a sensibility of where you would like your work to go rather than where does it fit now.

1 hour ago, AlyPet said:

This forum is awesome and anxiety inducing.  I'm trying to get into an MFA painting/drawing program.

((waves)) hello!  Newbie here.  Applied at:

Yale

SAIC

RISD

ULCA

Pratt

So far, got my first rejection from SAIC.  I'm having a hard time waiting.

Did you get an interview with RISD Painting? They sent out invitations last week.

3 minutes ago, seelamfa22 said:

Did you get an interview with RISD Painting? They sent out invitations last week.

Nope.  Guess I'm out for RISD too.

This is depressing.

Just got a notification from Cal State SF "Your GPA does not meet the minimum university admission requirement. Please contact the Division of Graduate Studies." My GPA is a 2.95 and I still have 15 credits to complete before I graduate. I have all A's and B's but failed one anthropology class two semesters ago ?‍♂️.

I was hoping I was close enough to the 3.0 requirement that they'd be willing to consider me on the condition my GPA is higher by the time I graduate in May of this year, but I've pretty much lost all hope of acceptance to any programs at this point ??.

Just now, Frank14 said:

Just got a notification from Cal State SF "Your GPA does not meet the minimum university admission requirement. Please contact the Division of Graduate Studies." My GPA is a 2.95 and I still have 15 credits to complete before I graduate. I have all A's and B's but failed one anthropology class two semesters ago ?‍♂️.

I was hoping I was close enough to the 3.0 requirement that they'd be willing to consider me on the condition my GPA is higher by the time I graduate in May of this year, but I've pretty much lost all hope of acceptance to any programs at this point ??.

(I'm a transfer student at my university and don't have a ton of credits which is why one failed class has dragged my GPA down so much)

1 hour ago, nobodyok said:

UPenn interview, Yale rejection (with memo they'd like to see me reapply with more development). Applied in sculpture, waiting on a few more..

Same - except I didn't get that memo... 

Good luck on your UPenn interview! 

6 hours ago, Lynn9900 said:

Hey! I also applied in MFA Sculpture at RISD and I am international applicant. I didn't receive any update yet. WORRIED!!! 

I am not sure what does this all mean, either they aren't interested in my work or is it slow for international applicants.

Did anyone on here interview with Boston University's painting program last year? Obviously may be a bit different with Josephine on sabbatical-- but I am curious what the vibes were like since my interview with their sculpture department last year was so wonderfully informal.  

Hey everyone congratulations to all those who got interviews with Yale! 
I woke up this morning with portal status update that linked me to my rejection letter from them. 1 school down 4 more to hear from. 

Good luck to you all, chins up! For the nervous interviewees and those rejected! Persevere! 

6 hours ago, HJAn said:

This question is so intimidating. I was asked it in an interview and talked about a combination of things, but mainly the relevance of the conceptual side of my work to what's going on in the world right now, the interdisciplinary nature of my work, and influences of all kinds of different artists/movements that come together through a contemporary lens in my making of things. Fun nonanswer = I would like to dive deeper and find out the answer to that in grad school by being among a community of my peers looking for those answers too, and by default being in more thorough conversation with the contemporary art world. Not sure if that's good advice, but I said both since it was a long interview, and it seemed to go well for me. Would love to hear more takes on this, though!

38 minutes ago, whitewhales said:

Hey everyone congratulations to all those who got interviews with Yale! 
I woke up this morning with portal status update that linked me to my rejection letter from them. 1 school down 4 more to hear from. 

Good luck to you all, chins up! For the nervous interviewees and those rejected! Persevere! 

Don't worry. You'll hear something positive from RISD and other schools. Rejection hurts but it's part of the process I guess. Important thing is to put one's work out there and hope for the best.