2022 Application Thread for Communications Program

On 2/1/2022 at 5:09 AM, THenri said:

Anyone else interviewed for Northwestern?  How was your experience?  Did they say when the results come out?

I didn't. Sounds like you're on a short-list.

2 hours ago, THenri said:

Has anyone applied to the University of Florida? I received an invitation for their visiting day. However, I am not sure of what this means. Does it mean I have pretty good chances of getting in? 

"We are delighted that you applied to our doctoral program and are considering our program! I would like to formally invite you to our University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications Visitation Day for our outstanding Ph.D. applicants."

Sounds like you're on a few short lists!

14 minutes ago, aluis said:

I didn't. Sounds like you're on a short-list.

Sounds like you're on a few short lists!

Yes, I guess so! I have done some interviews, but I don’t know. I am afraid of not getting into after interviewing ? This “visiting day” i don’t know what means btw 

11 minutes ago, THenri said:

Yes, I guess so! I have done some interviews, but I don’t know. I am afraid of not getting into after interviewing ? This “visiting day” i don’t know what means btw 

Visiting day is a day that prospective grad students visit the campus, meet potential advisors in person and meet other grad students to find out what it's "really like".

14 minutes ago, aluis said:

Visiting day is a day that prospective grad students visit the campus, meet potential advisors in person and meet other grad students to find out what it's "really like".

Hmmm got it! Thank you!! As I am an international student, unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the in-person experience. However, I will definitely attend the virtual meeting, which is the same day (during the morning)

16 minutes ago, aluis said:

Do you know if the acceptance rate after these kind of events is still pretty high? 

3 hours ago, THenri said:

Has anyone applied to the University of Florida? I received an invitation for their visiting day. However, I am not sure of what this means. Does it mean I have pretty good chances of getting in? 

"We are delighted that you applied to our doctoral program and are considering our program! I would like to formally invite you to our University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications Visitation Day for our outstanding Ph.D. applicants."

Congratulations!

I applied to University of Florida, but I haven't got it. I think you have a good chance to be admitted!

Edited by milac

4 minutes ago, milac said:

Congratulations!

I applied to University of Florida, but I haven't got it. I think you have a good chance to be admitted!

Thank you!!! Hopefully you will receive it tomorrow! They sent the invitation couple of yours ago! Cheering for you 

On 1/31/2022 at 11:07 PM, THenri said:

Thank you!! I am super excited!! 

I didn't ? I guess it's because I am a more qualitative researcher. But it's okay! I got an interview with one of my dream schools (northwestern). ?

Regarding the open house, I think you were accepted!! So contrast ?

yeah that might be the reason! during my interview, my poi told me ucsb is very quant-focused and she doesnt recommend students to get qual training here. nevertheless, great to hear that you're shortlisted at many great schools. congratulations!!

4 hours ago, THenri said:

Do you know if the acceptance rate after these kind of events is still pretty high? 

i think it's different for every school. i heard some schools have visiting days to catch "red flags" (so almost everyone gets offers) while others do it as a way to get to know candidates and assess fit (they make additional cuts based on the visiting day). still, getting an invitation means you're otw to an acceptance! dont fret too much about it and use the chance to get to know the program and community... if you get multiple offers it will help you to decide where to go^^ all the best!!!!!

6 hours ago, heyjung said:

yeah that might be the reason! during my interview, my poi told me ucsb is very quant-focused and she doesnt recommend students to get qual training here. nevertheless, great to hear that you're shortlisted at many great schools. congratulations!!

i think it's different for every school. i heard some schools have visiting days to catch "red flags" (so almost everyone gets offers) while others do it as a way to get to know candidates and assess fit (they make additional cuts based on the visiting day). still, getting an invitation means you're otw to an acceptance! dont fret too much about it and use the chance to get to know the program and community... if you get multiple offers it will help you to decide where to go^^ all the best!!!!!

Regarding ucsb, I think that was the reason. however, I wrote in my SOP how I wanted to develop expertise in quant methods and become a mixed-methods researcher. But its okay!! I have an interview today with UC Davis, and the dep is completely quant! Let's see how it goes lol

Thank youu so much!! And congrats to youuu too!!! Have you been admitted to ucsb? 

5 hours ago, THenri said:

Has anyone heard from USC? Although I know its a long shot, it's my dream school ? 

Hello, have been following this forum but have never replied. I am waiting to hear from USC as well. Media Arts and Practice PhD. Saw someone posted about getting interview invite but haven't seen any other update. 

45 minutes ago, ScarletDawn said:

Hello, have been following this forum but have never replied. I am waiting to hear from USC as well. Media Arts and Practice PhD. Saw someone posted about getting interview invite but haven't seen any other update. 

Hey! A applied to the PhD in communication , so I don’t know anything about interviews. USC usually doesn’t interview for their communication program

41 minutes ago, HatFinisher said:

Waitlisted at Rutgers!!! Very excited but crossing my fingers.

Same boat! Did they invite you to ther recruitment day? I felt like there is a lot of chance of getting out ot the waitlist

33 minutes ago, HatFinisher said:

There was nothing about that in the email which makes me think I am probably lower on the list :(

We dont know about that!!! Let's stay positive!!!!! This is the part of the email. 

Please note that this is a highly fluid situation. If admitted students decline their admissions offer, we will immediately admit a candidate from the waitlist. Therefore, it is still quite possible that you will be admitted to the Ph.D. program and possibly a full funding offer. We encourage you to hold off on making a decision about where to enroll for your Ph.D. studies until we see if a position becomes available for you in our program.  

We will be hosting our Recruitment Day for admitted students on March 4th, 2022. Although you are not yet admitted to the program, we would like to invite you to attend the recruitment day since there is a strong possibility that we might end up extending you an offer at some point in the future. There will be an on-campus event for students who are local or feel comfortable traveling to New Jersey, along with a synchronous virtual option to attend via Zoom for students who are international or uncomfortable traveling at this time due to Covid. Please, kindly hold that date on your calendar, as more details regarding the event will be forthcoming.  

Just now, THenri said:

We dont know about that!!! Let's stay positive!!!!! This is the part of the email. 

Please note that this is a highly fluid situation. If admitted students decline their admissions offer, we will immediately admit a candidate from the waitlist. Therefore, it is still quite possible that you will be admitted to the Ph.D. program and possibly a full funding offer. We encourage you to hold off on making a decision about where to enroll for your Ph.D. studies until we see if a position becomes available for you in our program.  

We will be hosting our Recruitment Day for admitted students on March 4th, 2022. Although you are not yet admitted to the program, we would like to invite you to attend the recruitment day since there is a strong possibility that we might end up extending you an offer at some point in the future. There will be an on-campus event for students who are local or feel comfortable traveling to New Jersey, along with a synchronous virtual option to attend via Zoom for students who are international or uncomfortable traveling at this time due to Covid. Please, kindly hold that date on your calendar, as more details regarding the event will be forthcoming.  

Yeah, I got the first paragraph in my email just not the second; you must be pretty high on the list, congrats!!

Just now, commphdhopeful said:

has your portal shown that your app is under review?

Nope, I'm fairly certain the graduate programs don't actually use the portal in the same way as they do for undergraduate applicants so its entirely possible they complete reviews and make their decisions without the portal showing any updates.

2 minutes ago, HatFinisher said:

Nope, I'm fairly certain the graduate programs don't actually use the portal in the same way as they do for undergraduate applicants so its entirely possible they complete reviews and make their decisions without the portal showing any updates.

did u reach out to anyone at rutgers? when did u get the email?