2022 Application Thread for Communications Program

7 hours ago, disleah said:

Sounds like you really like California. lol. Here is good! Every good weather and environment. I am an international applicant but living in California.

I love Californian. I am from Rio de Janeiro, and have already lived in LA, which remembers a lot rio.  Just loved it because it feels like home to me. 

5 hours ago, commphdhopeful said:

hi all! i applied to upenn, umass amherst, cornell, nyu, columbia & rutgers! been checking this forum & reddit wayyy too much. finger's crossed we all hear back soon:)

Hey!! I also applied to UPenn, Umass, Cornell and Rutgers! I am very anxious. As an international student, I feel like everything is so unclear ? I don’t know if I am good enough, you know? Hopefully, everything is gonna be okay. What are your research interests? 

37 minutes ago, THenri said:

Hey!! I also applied to UPenn, Umass, Cornell and Rutgers! I am very anxious. As an international student, I feel like everything is so unclear ? I don’t know if I am good enough, you know? Hopefully, everything is gonna be okay. What are your research interests? 

i completely empathise-- but you got this!! believe in yourself :)! i'm primarily focused on the history of journalism!! 

9 minutes ago, commphdhopeful said:

i completely empathise-- but you got this!! believe in yourself :)! i'm primarily focused on the history of journalism!! 

Thank you!! How deep were you in your sop regarding your research interests? 

9 hours ago, A.M said:

Hi again. I am very stressed. Anyone received any update for interview or result from MSU, media and information PhD program? What about CU boulder.? 

Hey! Same ? I am very stressed. I didn’t apply to these schools, so I don’t know ?

13 hours ago, aluis said:

Did anyone else get that "acceptance" from Pittsburgh or was that just me?

Congrats!!! Awesome news. I didn’t apply to Pitt. Everything is so strangely quiet this year. 

On 1/15/2022 at 3:51 AM, A.M said:

Hi again. I am very stressed. Anyone received any update for interview or result from MSU, media and information PhD program? What about CU boulder.? 

For CU Boulder I know the media studies application period just ended, though I know the emerging media app closed a while before. Not counting on hearing from them anytime soon. 

5 hours ago, THenri said:

Has anyone heard anything about UCSB interviews?

i had an informal interview of sorts with my poi from ucsb in late dec. i don't know if they interview all applicants they're interested in, but she mentioned they will invite shortlisted candidates for a virtual visit day sometime in jan / feb. haven't heard from them since :<

not sure if anyone here applied to wisconsin-madison (comm arts)?? just finished an interview with my poi from comm sci track & she said they're rolling out interviews this week

14 hours ago, HatFinisher said:

For CU Boulder I know the media studies application period just ended, though I know the emerging media app closed a while before. Not counting on hearing from them anytime soon. 

Hi. Did you applied for Emerging media? If yes please let me know about your resume? Are you American or international? Do they have any interview? Did you have any contact with Professors? I hear that they choose very strong candidates with artistic and fine art backgrounds. The coordinator told me that they have only choose 5 candidate each year. The program is one of my top lists, but I had a mistake in my SOP and didn't write it very well. I have taken look at the records of current doctoral students. Most of them are either American or have studied at American universities and living there for sometime. I don't think there is a chance for international students outside of US. Many of the opportunities that Americans have for performing art and digital creativity are not outside of the United States. This competition is unfair and unequal in my opinion. And most American universities do not consider this, especially for those who have studied abroad and are considered international students. I'm talking more about artistic and digital media and communication disciplines ,digital and artistic creations such as digital art, artistic creatives, animation, documentaries, and ... I should have mentioned this in my SOP, but I forgot. I have a lot of problems in my country and I even had trouble paying the application fee because we are under sanctions and I did it with difficulty and I worked hard for hours to apply. But most American universities compare international students to American students themselves, and this comparison is wrong. I have not received rejections so far, but I believe that this competition is unfair, especially for me and where I live. I hope some universities and their admission committee will consider this for some international students who came from a place with many shity problems

Edited by A.M

3 hours ago, heyjung said:

i had an informal interview of sorts with my poi from ucsb in late dec. i don't know if they interview all applicants they're interested in, but she mentioned they will invite shortlisted candidates for a virtual visit day sometime in jan / feb. haven't heard from them since :<

not sure if anyone here applied to wisconsin-madison (comm arts)?? just finished an interview with my poi from comm sci track & she said they're rolling out interviews this week

Thank you!! Usually they do “formal” interviews in Jan, but maybe they changed this year. Did you contact your poi previously? I mean, Did you email your poi during your application? I did not contact any faculty 

1 hour ago, A.M said:

Hi. Did you applied for Emerging media? If yes please let me know about your resume? Are you American or international? Do they have any interview? Did you have any contact with Professors? I hear that they choose very strong candidates with artistic and fine art backgrounds. The coordinator told me that they have only choose 5 candidate each year. The program is one of my top lists, but I had a mistake in my SOP and didn't write it very well. I have taken look at the records of current doctoral students. Most of them are either American or have studied at American universities and living there for sometime. I don't think there is a chance for international students outside of US. Many of the opportunities that Americans have for performing art and digital creativity are not outside of the United States. This competition is unfair and unequal in my opinion. And most American universities do not consider this, especially for those who have studied abroad and are considered international students. I'm talking more about artistic and digital media and communication disciplines ,digital and artistic creations such as digital art, artistic creatives, animation, documentaries, and ... I should have mentioned this in my SOP, but I forgot. I have a lot of problems in my country and I even had trouble paying the application fee because we are under sanctions and I did it with difficulty and I worked hard for hours to apply. But most American universities compare international students to American students themselves, and this comparison is wrong. I have not received rejections so far, but I believe that this competition is unfair, especially for me and where I live. I hope some universities and their admission committee will consider this for some international students who came from a place with many shity problems

I absolutely agree with you. It’s unfair. May I ask, where are you from? I am from Brazil, and I can tell you that things hear are bad. They should totally consider our background :(

Just now, THenri said:

I absolutely agree with you. It’s unfair. May I ask, where are you from? I am from Brazil, and I can tell you that things hear are bad. They should totally consider our background :(

Here* 

3 hours ago, heyjung said:

Ps: did u apply to the comm or film program? 

6 minutes ago, THenri said:

Ps: did u apply to the comm or film program? 

I saw this post on result page! 
Cinema And Media Studies , University Of Southern CaliforniaReceived what looks like full funding (including TAships). Would love to discuss the program with fellow admits!

Added on January 19, 2022

2 hours ago, THenri said:
Communication, Cornell  Notified by POI for scheduling an interview - 19 jan

It looks like Cornell has started inviting students for interviews.

oh gosh... i haven't gotten a notification. well! good luck to all of you!! ahh

9 hours ago, A.M said:

Hey! Just wanted to say sorry and that I recognize how frustrating the application process can be for international students. Hang in there. It's still early so all is not lost! And if it's any consolation, several of my friends in PhD programs were notified in at the tail end or got in after being waitlisted (spaces opening up). I haven't heard anything from MSU either, so they're probably just working things out over there.

Also, my unsolicited two-cents, I don't look at apps again after submitting because I would just make myself crazy with "what ifs" and "I could have did this better." (Ruminating about it in my head is another matter).