2022 Application Thread for Communications Program

2 minutes ago, LLops said:

Your research sounds very interesting. 

I am so nervous. I dont know how to stay calm til march ?

I think so kkkkk I hope the universities I applied to like it too.

I am freaking out. Specially because I do not see people talking about interview or any kind of feedback for comm/media programs. I dont know if its common for comm applicants to get responses later. I guess I am being too anxious.  

1 hour ago, Thenriques said:

10 candidates? OMG! Have they sent out the invitations?

Did you apply to PHD programs?

I also applied to Rutgers, but for Communication and Media

They send out the invitations around Mid-February. I actually had a zoom call with one of the faculty members and he is the one who gave me these details. They'll select five candidates out of the 10 (or six, if the sixth one is exceptional) by March. 

Yeah I have only applied to Ph.D programmes. 

1 hour ago, LLops said:

You applied to great schools! I am curious, what are your research interests? 

My research interests are all over the place lol but predominantly affect, oppressor victimhood and unreliable sources of information (rumours, slogans, secrets). 

55 minutes ago, Ade08 said:

They send out the invitations around Mid-February. I actually had a zoom call with one of the faculty members and he is the one who gave me these details. They'll select five candidates out of the 10 (or six, if the sixth one is exceptional) by March. 

Yeah I have only applied to Ph.D programmes. 

Thats great to know, in this way u can be relaxed til feb. I dont know when the univ. I applied to will do interviews (actually, some of them do not even call for interview)

8 hours ago, Thenriques said:

I think so kkkkk I hope the universities I applied to like it too.

I am freaking out. Specially because I do not see people talking about interview or any kind of feedback for comm/media programs. I dont know if its common for comm applicants to get responses later. I guess I am being too anxious.  

I am sure they will. 

I only know that UC's usually make decisions in Jan/early Feb. I guess only Davis does interviews.

6 hours ago, Ade08 said:

My research interests are all over the place lol but predominantly affect, oppressor victimhood and unreliable sources of information (rumours, slogans, secrets). 

Your research sounds very interesting. I love to read works that deal with emotions in general. My interests are kind of confusing. Hopefully, I made it clear in my SOP. It's challenging to be specific but not toooo specific, you know?

16 hours ago, Thenriques said:

Thats great to know, in this way u can be relaxed til feb. I dont know when the univ. I applied to will do interviews (actually, some of them do not even call for interview)

Oh I wish I could be relaxed. I know for a fact that i won't make it so I really want a formal rejection as quickly as possible so that I can move on with my life so the wait till February feels unreasonably long :')

I don't understand why universities fail to provide clear dates to applicants. it's as if they want us to be anxious 

10 hours ago, LLops said:

Your research sounds very interesting. I love to read works that deal with emotions in general. My interests are kind of confusing. Hopefully, I made it clear in my SOP. It's challenging to be specific but not toooo specific, you know?

Oh absolutely. My initial drafts sounded like a phd thesis in itself. As one of my reviewers said, "You sound too sure of your research topic." It's such a bizarre dance between clarity of concept and potential to learn.

4 hours ago, Ade08 said:

Oh absolutely. My initial drafts sounded like a phd thesis in itself. As one of my reviewers said, "You sound too sure of your research topic." It's such a bizarre dance between clarity of concept and potential to learn.

That is good—programs like when you are sure about your interests. Almost every program I applied for asked prospective students to be as clear as they could about what they intended to research.

16 hours ago, LLops said:

I am sure they will. 

I only know that UC's usually make decisions in Jan/early Feb. I guess only Davis does interviews.

Good to know. I can freak out by the mid-Feb if I don't get accepted into any school lol

6 hours ago, Ade08 said:

Oh I wish I could be relaxed. I know for a fact that i won't make it so I really want a formal rejection as quickly as possible so that I can move on with my life so the wait till February feels unreasonably long :')

I don't understand why universities fail to provide clear dates to applicants. it's as if they want us to be anxious 

I understand your feeling cause I think in the same way about USC and Upenn. However, we cannot stop believing in ourselves til a decision is made. Are you confident about your application? SOP, LOR, CV, GPA...

On 12/28/2021 at 11:26 AM, Thenriques said:

Good to know. I can freak out by the mid-Feb if I don't get accepted into any school lol

I know you feeling. It is good to have this place to chat, otherwise I would have to freak out all by myself lol

On 12/27/2021 at 9:49 AM, LLops said:

Your research sounds very interesting. 

I am so nervous. I dont know how to stay calm til march ?

Let’s breathe ?‍♀️ 

Happy new year! We got this ?

Dear Friends. Hope you are doing well. Is there anyone here who applied for the PhD program in Media and information at MSU.

How about CU boulder  ATLAS PhD program or emergent media at department of critical media?

Media and communication at Texas tech or emerging communication at UT Dallas?

38 minutes ago, A.M said:

Dear Friends. Hope you are doing well. Is there anyone here who applied for the PhD program in Media and information at MSU.

How about CU boulder  ATLAS PhD program or emergent media at department of critical media?

I also applied to Media & Information PhD at MSU 

1 minute ago, purplepineapple said:

I also applied to Media & Information PhD at MSU 

Oh great. Thanks for your answer. Did you hear anything from the school? Interview or rejections? Are you an international or American? 

20 minutes ago, A.M said:

Oh great. Thanks for your answer. Did you hear anything from the school? Interview or rejections? Are you an international or American? 

Did you have any contact with Professors before applying?

4 minutes ago, A.M said:

Did you have any contact with Professors before applying?

I’m American, haven’t heard anything yet. I talked to a few professors and current students- TBH it is not my top choice, but still hope to receive a decision soon. 

19 minutes ago, purplepineapple said:

I’m American, haven’t heard anything yet. I talked to a few professors and current students- TBH it is not my top choice, but still hope to receive a decision soon. 

What is your top choice? I hope you are accepted into your favorite program. This is my first choice.  But I guess is hard to be admit considering that many American also applying for the program and there is less chance for international students. Do you know how many students will be admitted each year?

4 minutes ago, A.M said:

What is your top choice? I hope you are accepted into your favorite program. This is my first choice.  But I guess is hard to be admit considering that many American also applying for the program and there is less chance for international students. Do you know how many students will be admitted each year?

Same to you! My top choice is probably  Cornell, but that is of course a long shot. I have no clue how many students will be admitted. 

2 hours ago, A.M said:

I did not sign up for any of these programs ? did you only apply  for these programs?