2022 Application Thread for Communications Program

I applied to Wisconsin and Cornell too. But I didn't receive any mail from them. I guess I am rejected.

I got emails from Maryland and Georgia though. 

Already finished the interview from Maryland last week, and I will be interviewed for Georgia.

BTW do you know how to quote the post? I tried but I can't paste the quotes.

Edited by milac

3 minutes ago, milac said:

I applied to Wisconsin and Cornell too. But I didn't receive any mail from them. I guess I am rejected.

Already finished the interview from Maryland last week, and I will be interviewed for Georgia.

in the same boat w cornell:( congrats on MD! that's a great school!! also you click quote at the bottom of the post you'd like to quote! i attached an image, hope it helps.

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 7.55.22 PM.png

42 minutes ago, milac said:

Congrats!! Good luck with you Georgia interview! 

9 minutes ago, Roey said:

I also got an email invitation from Cornell today. And I finished an interview from Stanford (GSE not communication) yesterday. Good luck with all of our interviews!

Congrats!!!! Do you mind sharing your poi? 

1 minute ago, GraceHuang24 said:

So the two profs that contacted me are actually not my POI (I think the POI that I mentioned in my application no longer take students this year). 

Hmm got it! Thank youuu. Good luck!! 

8 minutes ago, THenri said:

Congrats!!!! Do you mind sharing your poi? 

My POIs are Natalie Bazarova and Drew Margolin. Are they the same as yours, Grace?

10 minutes ago, GraceHuang24 said:

So the two profs that contacted me are actually not my POI (I think the POI that I mentioned in my application no longer take students this year). 

4 hours ago, THenri said:

For those who applied to UCSB, I emailed a current Ph.D. student there, and she said that invitations for interviews would be sent very soon

thanks for the update!! all the best to everyone with interviews^^

& in reply to your previous questions - no i didn't contact any faculty beforehand and i applied the comm dept

4 hours ago, heyjung said:

thanks for the update!! all the best to everyone with interviews^^

& in reply to your previous questions - no i didn't contact any faculty beforehand and i applied the comm dept

I am confused LOL. According to the current student, the open house is the interview weekend, which will be held next month. However, you were already interviewed. And since you have not contacted any faculty previously, I assume it was kind of a formal interview. I wish you gooood luck in the process ? 

18 hours ago, Margolia said:

Hey! Just wanted to say sorry and that I recognize how frustrating the application process can be for international students. Hang in there. It's still early so all is not lost! And if it's any consolation, several of my friends in PhD programs were notified in at the tail end or got in after being waitlisted (spaces opening up). I haven't heard anything from MSU either, so they're probably just working things out over there.

Also, my unsolicited two-cents, I don't look at apps again after submitting because I would just make myself crazy with "what ifs" and "I could have did this better." (Ruminating about it in my head is another matter). 

Thank you for your soothing and kind words. You are right about applications. But a little bit of stress is normal as it took me a lot of time to apply for some program regarding my problems. There are some notifications on the results page. Some people notified that they had an interview with the MSU media program. I didn't receive an invitation for an interview. I guess my first rejection coming out very soon from MSU as I didn't invited for an interview. Did you have an interview for MSU?  

Some people notified that they had a Zoom interview for MSU media and Information. If anyone had an interview, please inform us about the interview, questions, and the people who interviewed you. What were your research interests etc? Your answer would be highly appreciated.

Edited by A.M

2 hours ago, A.M said:

Thank you for your soothing and kind words. You are right about applications. But a little bit of stress is normal as it took me a lot of time to apply for some program regarding my problems. There are some notifications on the results page. Some people notified that they had an interview with the MSU media program. I didn't receive an invitation for an interview. I guess my first rejection coming out very soon from MSU as I didn't invited for an interview. Did you have an interview for MSU?  

No request for MSU interview either, but again, I'm not discounting them until I get an actual notice saying "no". There's just so many factors outside our control in the PhD application process, some we don't even know about. Just keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck!