2022 Application Thread for Communications Program

48 minutes ago, purplepineapple said:

Same to you! My top choice is probably  Cornell, but that is of course a long shot. I have no clue how many students will be admitted. 

I also applied to Cornell, but my first choice is USC.  However, I applied on priority deadline (11/01) and made some mistakes in my application ? (I don't even know why I applied on priority deadline as it's not for funding purposes)

3 minutes ago, THenri said:

I did not sign up for any of these programs ? did you only apply  for these programs?

Yes. But I think is hard to get in. Because all of them are competitive and admitted only few people. Other programs didn't fit with my interests and we have to be realistic about our choices. Since we are not American, so we have to choose the schools which there is more chance for International students. Most of good universities, firstly, accept fewer students, and secondly, they are more selective among American students or those who studied in the United States. In most cases, students who studied outside the United States will either be rejected or offered another master's degree if they apply for a doctorate at a good university.

4 minutes ago, A.M said:

Yes. But I think is hard to get in. Because all of them are competitive and admitted only few people. Other programs didn't fit with my interests and we have to be realistic about our choices. Since we are not American, so we have to choose the schools which there is more chance for International students. Most of good universities, firstly, accept fewer students, and secondly, they are more selective among American students or those who studied in the United States. In most cases, students who studied outside the United States will either be rejected or offered another master's degree if they apply for a doctorate at a good university.

Hmmm, got it. I applied to 15 programs. Hopefully ate least one will accept me. I am from Brazil, which I believe makes things even more complicated as I need 100% funding. 

1 minute ago, A.M said:

Yes. Other programs didn't fit with my interests and we have to be realistic about our choices. Since we are not American, so we have to choose schools which there is more chance for International students. Most good universities, firstly, accept fewer students, and secondly, they are more selective among American students or those who studied in the United States. In most cases, students who studied outside the United States will either be rejected or offered another master's degree if they apply for a doctorate at a good university.

I researched universities that have Brazilian students or that clearly show interest in working with international/Latin students 

4 minutes ago, THenri said:

Hmmm, got it. I applied to 15 programs. Hopefully ate least one will accept me. I am from Brazil, which I believe makes things even more complicated as I need 100% funding. 

Did you get your master in Brazil or U.S? Any prior contacts with professors? Did you get any positive answers from professors at these schools?

Edited by A.M

2 minutes ago, A.M said:

Did you get your master in Brazil or U.S? Any prior contacts with professors? Did you get any positive answers from professors at these schools?

I got it in Brazil. I contacted professors from some universities, not all of them (some universities asked students Not to contact faculty.) I had great feedbacks from most part of them. Did some zoom meetings, was really nice. Unfortunately, I know many friends that are doing PhD in US in comm field that did not contact faculty and got in, while some friends that contacted, did not get in. ?

29 minutes ago, THenri said:

I also applied to Cornell, but my first choice is USC.  However, I applied on priority deadline (11/01) and made some mistakes in my application ? (I don't even know why I applied on priority deadline as it's not for funding purposes)

USC is also a top choice for me, but I don’t want to get my hopes up. I also did priority deadline even though I don’t think it makes any difference

6 minutes ago, purplepineapple said:

USC is also a top choice for me, but I don’t want to get my hopes up. I also did priority deadline even though I don’t think it makes any difference

Yeah, I don’t think I will get into USC. My research fits soooo perfectly there, and I love LA. 

Yeah, I don’t think it makes any difference. But, who knows? I regret not having sent my application within the normal deadline because then I wouldn't have made the small mistakes I made. Did you contact any faculty there?

Which schools are u applying to? 

Yeah, I don’t think I will get into USC. My research fits soooo perfectly there, and I love LA. 

Yeah, I don’t think it makes any difference. But, who knows? I regret not having sent my application within the normal deadline because then I wouldn't have made the small mistakes I made. Did you contact any faculty there?

Which schools are u applying to? 

I did have a good connection with one faculty member but I’m not sure if it will be enough. I applied to USC, UCSB, UPenn, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Indiana, Penn State, Ohio State, Cornell and Stanford. 

33 minutes ago, purplepineapple said:

I did have a good connection with one faculty member but I’m not sure if it will be enough. I applied to USC, UCSB, UPenn, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Indiana, Penn State, Ohio State, Cornell and Stanford. 

In fact, this whole process is very obscure.  In other threads, I saw people who contacted professors and did interviews that were not accepted.

You are applying to great schools. We have some overlap, like USC, UCSB, Cornell and UPenn.

In fact, this whole process is very obscure.  In other threads, I saw people who contacted professors and did interviews that were not accepted.

You are applying to great schools. We have some overlap, like USC, UCSB, Cornell and UPenn.

Agree, although thankfully it seems that most programs don’t interview. 

Same to you, then! I have received 1 acceptance (Ohio) so I am feeling better about everything. At least I have 1 option. 

1 minute ago, purplepineapple said:

Agree, although thankfully it seems that most programs don’t interview. 

Same to you, then! I have received 1 acceptance (Ohio) so I am feeling better about everything. At least I have 1 option. 

Owwww, Congrats!!! Happy for you. What are your research interests ? 

8 minutes ago, purplepineapple said:

Thank you :) Mainly AI ethics & health comm, how about you?

Mainly media studies, gender studies and fandom studies! That’s why my top choice is USC ?

2 hours ago, purplepineapple said:

Oh we both applied to Stanford and UPenn. Dope.

12 hours ago, THenri said:

You will be accepted, stay positive!!!!! 

Ha. Thanks!

12 hours ago, THenri said:

Has anyone heard anything from the Northwestern MTS program?  Someone posted an interview invitation today for another Phd program from the communication department.

F06B9FA0-2C8B-4515-8B6F-8D8D8CF12323.png

Nope, nothing yet.

Hi all, I applied for USC (Comm), UCSD (Comm), UCI (Informatics), and a couple of other programs. My research interests are social media, media ethics, and technology. I am waiting for THE emails. Although the results are expected to be revealed in Feb, I couldn't help to reload the 'results page' here in Gradcafe twenty times a day. LOL. 

Edited by disleah

36 minutes ago, disleah said:

Hi all, I applied for USC (Comm), UCSD (Comm), and UCI (Informatics), and a couple of other programs. My research interests are social media, media ethics, and technology. I am waiting for THE emails. Although the results are expected to be revealed in Feb, I couldn't help to reload the 'results page' here in Gradcafe twenty times a day. LOL. 

We are in the same boat lol I am checking my email every hour. I also applied to UCSD and USC (and UCSB and UC Davis ?)

17 minutes ago, THenri said:

We are in the same boat lol I am checking my email every hour. I also applied to UCSD and USC (and UCSB and UC Davis ?)

Sounds like you really like California. lol. Here is good! Every good weather and environment. I am an international applicant but living in California.