aud_hopeful6

• 2 months later...

Hello! 

I recently applied to UWO and Dalhousie! 

I was wondering if anyone knew how to calculate your cGPA if you took more than 5 courses a semester? I took 8 classes this term so I’m trying to figure out how things will be weighted ?

• 3 weeks later...

@katieroberts2794

Hi! I also applied at Dalhousie and Western University. I found this on the ORPAS site:

"We will complete a calculation based on your final 60 units of university academic study (the equivalent of 10 full courses or 20 half courses) completed by December 31, 2021, of the application year, and will include graduate-level courses, summer, part‑time, intersession, correspondence and failed university courses taken beyond the 4‑year undergraduate degree.

If you are currently enrolled in the fourth year of a baccalaureate program, this calculation will start with your final fall grades (completed December 31, 2021) and will move back in chronological order based on the order of courses listed on the transcript."

It says the same thing on Dalhousie's site too! So, I think you can just average the most recent 20 courses you've completed. 

I was also wondering about this though because when I count backwards, I end in a semester where if I count all of those courses, it would be 21 courses. So I'm not sure how it is determined which courses I finished first or which courses they'll count if they're all in the same semester... if that makes sense.

3 minutes ago, alyssam said:

@katieroberts2794

Hi! I also applied at Dalhousie and Western University. I found this on the ORPAS site:

"We will complete a calculation based on your final 60 units of university academic study (the equivalent of 10 full courses or 20 half courses) completed by December 31, 2021, of the application year, and will include graduate-level courses, summer, part‑time, intersession, correspondence and failed university courses taken beyond the 4‑year undergraduate degree.

If you are currently enrolled in the fourth year of a baccalaureate program, this calculation will start with your final fall grades (completed December 31, 2021) and will move back in chronological order based on the order of courses listed on the transcript."

It says the same thing on Dalhousie's site too! So, I think you can just average the most recent 20 courses you've completed. 

I was also wondering about this though because when I count backwards, I end in a semester where if I count all of those courses, it would be 21 courses. So I'm not sure how it is determined which courses I finished first or which courses they'll count if they're all in the same semester... if that makes sense.

I also understood this, I was just curious as to how they select when you go over 20 courses in the last chronological semester! I guess we will find out in a couple weeks!

Just now, katieroberts2794 said:

I also understood this, I was just curious as to how they select when you go over 20 courses in the last chronological semester! I guess we will find out in a couple weeks!

Ah ok, sorry I misunderstood your questions. Im wondering the same thing. I think we can see our cGPA for western in February, right? Do you know about Dalhousie?

1 minute ago, alyssam said:

Ah ok, sorry I misunderstood your questions. Im wondering the same thing. I think we can see our cGPA for western in February, right? Do you know about Dalhousie?

I dont know about Dal, unfortunately! This is my first time applying to any graduate studies so I’m not sure of the time lines

Edited by katieroberts2794

Just now, katieroberts2794 said:

I dont know about Dal, unfortunately! This is my first time applying to any graduate studies so I’m not sure of the time lines

It’s my first time too! Thanks for your quick replies and good luck to you!

On 12/20/2021 at 10:57 AM, katieroberts2794 said:

Hello! 

I recently applied to UWO and Dalhousie! 

I was wondering if anyone knew how to calculate your cGPA if you took more than 5 courses a semester? I took 8 classes this term so I’m trying to figure out how things will be weighted ?

Hey! Western calculates your GPA based on the last 20 half-credit courses taken, which is equivalent to two years of full-time study. So if you took 8 courses last semester, they'll count those plus the 12 that are listed before it on your transcript. I have never applied to Dalhousie so I'm not sure how they calculate it there. Hope this helps! 

Just now, audio98 said:

Hey! Western calculates your GPA based on the last 20 half-credit courses taken, which is equivalent to two years of full-time study. So if you took 8 courses last semester, they'll count those plus the 12 that are listed before it on your transcript. I have never applied to Dalhousie so I'm not sure how they calculate it there. Hope this helps! 

Do you know how they choose which courses to take if it equals more than 20 midway through one the final semester they take? Would it just be the highest or is there a method?

4 minutes ago, katieroberts2794 said:

Do you know how they choose which courses to take if it equals more than 20 midway through one the final semester they take? Would it just be the highest or is there a method?

I'm not sure about full year courses, I'm assuming that they would take the grade you received in December if it's on your transcript but I would double check on that one. I took reduced semesters a few times so I just counted backwards on my transcript and added it up to 20 half credits, which equaled my last 20 courses ending with the grades I got in December. For one semester only 3/5 classes counted, so no they will not choose the highest grade, they go off of the order listed. I hope this makes sense! Let me know if you need anymore clarification, this is my second time applying to Western so I'm familiar with the process!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I've applied to UBC Audiology.  I was waitlisted for the program last year but a spot did not open up for me.  Hoping for better luck this year!

Good luck to everyone who has applied :)

Hey guys.. I applied to audiology through ORPAS, but they haven't received all my transcripts.. I have 2. Freaking out. Did not realize until now. I am so confused... the deadline to receive transcripts is Jan 30? Thanks in advance

Hello! I am applying for audiology for the first time this year at UWO and Dal. I had previously applied to SLP for the past two years and after working at an audiology clinic I fell in love with the career. Good luck everyone! If you have any questions, I have gained some knowledge in the application process over my previous application cycles, please don't hesitate to ask!

Additionally, GPA calculations are out on ORPAS! 

Edited by Justspeechie24

9 hours ago, Justspeechie24 said:

Hello! I am applying for audiology for the first time this year at UWO and Dal. I had previously applied to SLP for the past two years and after working at an audiology clinic I fell in love with the career. Good luck everyone! If you have any questions, I have gained some knowledge in the application process over my previous application cycles, please don't hesitate to ask!

Additionally, GPA calculations are out on ORPAS! 

Hey!!! ??

Do you mind sharing your stats? 

Are you applying to SLP this year as well?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2022 at 9:44 PM, damaei said:

Hey!!! ??

Do you mind sharing your stats? 

Are you applying to SLP this year as well?

Hey! I am also applying to SLP at UofT, Western, and Dalhousie! I have a 3.70 sGPA and cGPA for grades in addition to 200 hours volunteering with an SLP in a school as well as an aphasia program, 400 hours working in an audiology clinic and over 100 hours providing education on aphasia for the Alzheimers Society. Lastly, I have 220 hours doing concussion research on varsity football athletes along with authorship on the research and attending the 2021 Canadian Psychological Association Conference to share my results. This is my first time applying to audiology! In 2020 when I applied to SLP I had a 3.67 sGPA and in 2021 I had a 3.70 sGPA. Both times I got waitlisted for all the schools I applied to, fingers crossed this year will be my year! Best of luck for you as well. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, audiobri said:

Hi everyone! 

I just got an offer from Dalhousie's audiology program this morning, it was way earlier than I was expecting! I accepted the offer this afternoon, wondering if anyone else has heard back? :)

Hey!  congeats :) 

do u mind sharing your stats?

10 hours ago, damaei said:

Hey!  congeats :) 

do u mind sharing your stats?

Thank you! :) I have a 4.0 according to my current university’s scale, but when my GPA was converted on OPRAS my sGPA was 3.97 and overall GPA was 3.96. (I’m not sure how they calculated it for Dal). I’m finishing an honours degree in behavioural neuroscience and have approximately 1000 research hours in that area/the psychology department. I have over 400 hours working in an audiology clinic and extensive volunteer experience in healthcare-related areas (CHHA, brain injury association, long-term care, eating disorder foundation, Diabetes Canada, etc.).

38 minutes ago, audiobri said:

Thank you! :) I have a 4.0 according to my current university’s scale, but when my GPA was converted on OPRAS my sGPA was 3.97 and overall GPA was 3.96. (I’m not sure how they calculated it for Dal). I’m finishing an honours degree in behavioural neuroscience and have approximately 1000 research hours in that area/the psychology department. I have over 400 hours working in an audiology clinic and extensive volunteer experience in healthcare-related areas (CHHA, brain injury association, long-term care, eating disorder foundation, Diabetes Canada, etc.).

Wow your stats are amazing !!!!???

Is there a reason why you chose Dal over other universities?

On 3/15/2022 at 10:56 AM, damaei said:

Wow your stats are amazing !!!!???

Is there a reason why you chose Dal over other universities?

Thank you! I only applied to Dal and Western, but I know they're both great programs so I chose to accept the offer from Dal just based on location (closer to home, family in the province, etc.) :)